Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prometeus Cloud (iwStack) Pricing Announced - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Prometeus Cloud (iwStack) Pricing Announced

Comments

• Will you offer more RAM?

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

do you mean computing images with >8GB of ram?

• Yes.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2013

Possibly, however, at that stage, a dedicated server might be in order. We usually stop the VPS offering at 8 GB. This does not mean everything is nailed down, this is very new for us and we will make changes as requested and our enterprise customers are using instances way larger than 8 GB.

Regarding the SSD, it is possible to load the SAN with SSD disks, but the latency will remain due to the way FC works, even for 10 gb links. We were thinking at a hypothetical level to offer discrete nodes under CloudStack management with local SSD storage, but will not have fail-over, only HA and if the node or storage fails, it will go offline, same as a regular VPS, but it will have snapshots, templates, own ISO, etc. It is possible to have also certain enlarging/shrinking capabilities, but that will be very limited on a node with local storage due to obvious reasons.

• Do you provide backup or do I have to do that myself? Is just one drive enough or do I have to get 4 to set up a RAID just like with regular servers? I'm new to this cloud thing.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@kontam said:
    Do you provide backup or do I have to do that myself? Is just one drive enough or do I have to get 4 to set up a RAID just like with regular servers? I'm new to this cloud thing.

You can backup your disks with manual or periodic scheduled snapshots.

Volumes (root and data disks) are stored on the FC SAN Hitachi HUS 150 ( http://www.hds.com/products/storage-systems/specifications/hus-physical-characteristics.html )

Snapshots (backups) are stored on a NFS secondary storage.

You have also the option to download your volumes manually or using API.

You can also upload existing QCOW2 disks... Those can be previous downloaded volumes or data coming from different systems.
    For testing I extracted some VM disks from a solusvm server and uploaded them.

Once booted I had to adjust (using the console) udev network mapping and IP. Rebooted and everything was up and running :-)

• its out :P

edited August 2013

@prometeus said:

For the TL;DR ppl, you can have both automated and manual backups. To get automated ones you need to click a few times in the "Schedule automatic snapshots" section. You can decide how many you keep and how often you make them. Back-up space is not free though, but we do offer separate free ftp backup space if you wish to setup your own backups from inside the OS.

• I'm not smart but I know 1 thing, next time I need a new vps I will go to iwstack. :)

Price + Prometeus = sweet.

Well, for a few minutes we already have some paying users and the beta testers received some free credits, so there should be quite a few people able to test now.

• do you allow bitcoin miners to be on the server?

edited August 2013

It does not work that way, you do not have fixed allocated secondary storage for a certain instance you are the one which decides how many snapshots, how many ISOs, how many templates you wish to store, each gb will cost half of a hundredth of a cent per hour.
    Secondary storage is available for the whole zone, same as primary. The whole idea of cloud is based on scalability and the best scalability is achieved with clustering nodes which share storage, so, if one node fails, the VMs are automatically restarted where conditions permit, on other nodes using the highly redundant main storage which holds their disk images.

As an example, if you have 2 servers and take snapshots of them, make templates or load own ISOs, they are all residing on the same storage if they are in the same zone, same as the data and root disks are on the primary storage.

We plan to add a Xen zone later on, if Xen development goes as I hope. That will have own storage, but on the same modular SAN for the main and another NFS server for secondary storage, most likely.

• @bitco said:
    do you allow bitcoin miners to be on the server?

no, keep that shit on dedicated resources

Thanked by 1Amfy

Actually, it is not strictly speaking forbidden, we will probably end up with extra cpu power, but it is immoral in a fair-share environment. We may launch a dedicated CPU offer later, though.
    The real abusers are the ovz miners which lock cores in a server with more users as OVZ has lower overhead, should be able to host most users, but because of botters and miners, the CPU is saturated way before ram.

• @Maounique said:
    Actually, it is not strictly speaking forbidden, we will probably end up with extra cpu power, but it is immoral in a fair-share environment. We may launch a dedicated CPU offer later, though.
    The real abusers are the ovz miners which lock cores in a server with more users as OVZ has lower overhead, should be able to host most users, but because of botters and miners, the CPU is saturated way before ram.

Actually I took your word I could go up to a load of 4 and I now run on a fair 2.5 load.

edited August 2013

Yes, for a 4 cores service, a maximum load of 4 is allowed for OVerZold.
    In other services, going over the max number of cores is tolerated as long as it doesnt go overboard, say, 30-50% more than maximum on a non-permanent basis, but OVerZold is the budget brand and we do load more than 1:1 there, there is one server with more than 2:1 RAM, even, therefore, we are sure that we can offer up to 4 cores taking into consideration not everyone goes at full, all the time, but after 100% it begins a gray area we wouldnt want to go into.
    At times load is less than half, in others it goes over 70%, as it is now we maintain a pretty good balance, rare spikes over 100% due to abusers that are fast shutdown. I saw one day 8 bn load on one botter and only then the server triggered an alert over 100%, those people just keep loading bots by the tens no matter what...

• Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited August 2013

As far as I know, iwStack is launched for real since today (I mean, can be ordered and used).

I'll post my 'playing observation' (from participation in beta stage) today.

In short: impressive!

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Need very sexy UI so people will think this is very good product.

@jcaleb said:
    Need very sexy UI so people will think this is very good product.

When, in fact, it is not...
    Well, is your dog available for some hot pictorial sessions ? :P

• @Maounique said:
    When, in fact, it is not..

Yes. we know here iwstack is good product.

Well, is your dog available for some hot pictorial sessions ? :P

Which one? The mother or the son? I have 2

• i've been a tester for many weeks, and a long time user of prometeus. This new service is really terrific, i'm waiting for the iwstack biz offer and i guess prometeus and few ovh dedi are the best mix for reliability and cheap storage. Low end only in term of prices, this can be the best new product of the year.

• Wish there wasn't the 30 euro start fee. /:

• Any reviews and benchmarks?

• @David_P said:
    Wish there wasn't the 30 euro start fee. /:

Existing prometeus users can start with 15euro as per their latest mail, and there is even a 30‰ discount coupon for them to get iws credits...

Thanked by 1MichaelMistaken
  • AleksZAleksZ Member
    edited August 2013

iwstack.com.

What I want to say about it, well:

No facebook? I can not share

No twitter? I can not follow news

No demo? 30EUR to try out?

No AD in whole internet?

You want to go with that on DO?
    http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2013/06/13/the-meteoric-rise-of-digitalocean.html

Guys, are you serious?

You have only 1 chance to beat them.
    If performance of your servers/droplets/vps is the same as at DO then:

You need at least 2 more datacenter`a in ASIA/USA

5-10EUR promo at sign-up

and a LOT of advertisement over the whole internet

And even with that customers that already on DO, are almost lost for you.
    Only those who need more HDD space will migrate.

You should create a video that will teach people that you have more functions and power than
    "any other hosting provider" and you price are lower.

Integrate calculator on site, so everyone can count their price/mo before creating account.

Aleks

p.s [email protected] <- this mail address does not work

• Can I use this vps like any other vps? So, may I install it such a webserver like Kloxo, or DirectAdmin?

• @AleksZ said:
    iwstack.com.

What I want to say about it, well:

It's a fundamentally different product meant for a different market than DO

• One company as potential competition in same segment doesn't mean whole world. Also doing things on your own doesn't mean that you're on wrong path. I prefer host who concentrate their operation around their local DC and grow from here instead spread around locations out of their direct control. You don't need to be the biggest on the world. Stay with this what you're doing the best.

Integrate calculator on site, so everyone can count their price/mo before creating account.

That's not bad idea at all.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • @AleksZ said:
    iwstack.com.
    Aleks
    p.s [email protected] <- this mail address does not work

I will go for iwstack still

• This product needs ads with half-naked girls or girls with headphones or both to succeed. It also needs facebook page so we can like it. A bunch of instagram #nofilter photos is a must. There is no way to follow the news without twitter.
    Please stop trying to provide a high quality service, it's completely irrelevant.

Thanked by 3jcaleb marrco lycide