Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Piohost have cropped my year long contract to 4 months and are charging way more.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Piohost have cropped my year long contract to 4 months and are charging way more.

I bought two VPS in March for 1 year. One for £7 and one for £20. I have just received an invoice with a due date of the 16th July for £39 for them both.

Is this not in someway ilegal?

Comments

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited July 2017

Well, that's certainly odd.

Would you mind posting a screenshot of your initial signup emails and a screenshot of your 'products and services' page at Piohost?

Of course, I would open a ticket about this - It may be a crappy mistake.

• This is a feature, by paying £39 you can continue to get good service from Piohost™ at a fraction of the cost of other providers.

Does your website require more power? If so Piohost™ VPS hosting is the perfect choice for you.

https://piohost.co.uk/cart.php?a=add&pid=63

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited July 2017

Consider switching to VMHaus NVMe VPS :p

I paid 20pounds/year for an IP block in June. It was cut short to a month, then i got invoiced again in July for $39/6months for the same block. ;)

New owners, restructing the business with new pricing.

Thanked by 1GamerTech24
  • @ElliotJ said:
    Well, that's certainly odd.

Would you mind posting a screenshot of your initial signup emails and a screenshot of your 'products and services' page at Piohost?

Of course, I would open a ticket about this - It may be a crappy mistake.

https://imgur.com/a/52gnR

Thanked by 1ElliotJ
  • I'll tag @ishaq but don't hold your breath. He never showed up in the other thread either.

Thanked by 1TarZZ92
  • If you can't correct the issue with the provider, then your payment method will likely have the allowance for you to claw back the money. In cases like these (where you don't get what you paid for and support doesn't correct anything), I'll aim for a pro-rated refund.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited July 2017

It's definitely wrong for them to purposely cut the due date from 2018 to now, have they changed it to a monthly billing period?

• YuraYura Member

Why I'm not surprised.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@teamacc said:
    I'll tag @ishaq but don't hold your breath. He never showed up in the other thread either.

And @Jordan for good measure.

Honestly sounds like a billing error if you didn't receive prior notice as I doubt any host would think it's acceptable to end a yearly service after only four months and immediately charge you a higher price for a new year. If anything it should be prorated for the remaining 8 months (minus what you've already paid) or simply increased when your service expires next year.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @MasonR said:

@teamacc said:
    I'll tag @ishaq but don't hold your breath. He never showed up in the other thread either.

And @Jordan for good measure.

Honestly sounds like a billing error if you didn't receive prior notice as I doubt any host would think it's acceptable to end a yearly service after only four months and immediately charge you a higher price for a new year. If anything it should be prorated for the remaining 8 months (minus what you've already paid) or simply increased when your service expires next year.

Agreed that it might be a billing error. However, assuming it wasn't? Why would they give prior notice? If a company was willing to essentially not provide the service (time length) that a customer has bought, why would they be moral enough to send a warning beforehand?

I don't know.

• I heard Ishaq bought Piohost.

And what? There is a Chinese word "洗地".

Means they are doing something ridiculous but you still saying good words for them.

@maldovia

• @thistle their answer for this is just (they currently is charging more for my vps server):

Thanked by 1thistle
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

thistle said: I bought two VPS in March for 1 year. One for £7 and one for £20. I have just received an invoice with a due date of the 16th July for £39 for them both.

Look on the bright side, you got the chance to backup your data and make other plans.

If piohost had not been sold your VPS would be gone by now anyway along with the data because piohost was charging such stupid prices they were nose diving into failure.

• @AnthonySmith said:

thistle said: I bought two VPS in March for 1 year. One for £7 and one for £20. I have just received an invoice with a due date of the 16th July for £39 for them both.

Look on the bright side, you got the chance to backup your data and make other plans.

If piohost had not been sold your VPS would be gone by now anyway along with the data because piohost was charging such stupid prices they were nose diving into failure.

That is a good point, at least I have the chance to get back the data.

But...shhh... Ishaq is the one who bought Piohost, should we keep this quiet?

• @mtsbatalha said:
    @thistle their answer for this is just (they currently is charging more for my vps server):

Erm WTF. They have not replied to my support ticket! I paid for a year the main reason I did that is because I would not need to think about the VPS for a year. If they no longer sell them at that price change it at the end of the year not 4 months in. Surely that is not allowed.

I must be able to get a refund at least for this appalling host! I was so happy when the last guy owned them (@ Bopie). He was great and I would happily pay twice as much to have him back on PioHost. The new guy is shit the other day my servers went down for 3 hours because he had just decided to turn them off and not notify me (on the panel they said they were working fine.)

• @AnthonySmith is there any host you would recommend I move to in the UK who won't sell out.

• @clouvider is very good. Couple of quid extra a month compared to the average host here, but likely worth that in extra reliability.

Thanked by 2Clouvider Junkless
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Poor show. Very poor show.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2017

@thistle if I recall correctly the downtime the other day was because the old guy called the Datacentre and had them shutdown the server, which thy complied with for some ridiculous reason.

The old owner had zero clue of what he was doing and where he was going as Anthony said, you'd be down by now anyway.

As Elliot asked, can you send the paid invoice confirmation email and the products page screenshot ?

Otherwise until Ishaq responds it's just one side of the story.

• This is going to be a fun thread.

@thistle : It appears @Clouvider , @vmhaus , @DigitalFyre and @AnthonySmith himself should be good ideas - don't have a server from either one myself, but appear in most cases in which a UK based server is being requested, therefore I guess they are probably the best there.

(also, I like the @DigitalFyre website, so smooth)

Thanked by 1DigitalFyre
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Thanks for the very kind words @ricardo and @bluesaga ! Really appreciate !

• bluesega said: (also, I like the @DigitalFyre website, so smooth)

Thanked by 2Hxxx Yura

thistle said: @AnthonySmith is there any host you would recommend I move to in the UK who won't sell out.

If you are looking for the same prices, then ... no sorry, if you now realize you simply will not get long term stable hosts for the price you paid then see here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2295095/#Comment_2295095

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • bluesega said: but appear in most cases in which a UK based server is being requested, therefore I guess they are probably the best there.

Also I want to mention we can't really match these insanely reduced prices, though our plans start at $4.00/mo. But at least prices will never go up :)

• Get a fork, and knock the cheese out. Voila; free cheese!

doghouch said: Get a fork, and knock the cheese out. Voila; free cheese!

Or to put it another way, the 'fork; is the knowledge in advance that is a trap in which case you knew you were just getting cheapo resources from a sinking ship.

This goes back to my point about market flooding with unsustainable prices, sooner or later it becomes the new norm, reputable hosts lose business because they can't compete with people using banged up HP gen5/6's with raid 5 sata mdadm claiming to be ssd cached raid 10 and getting business through deception with prices that will just about feed your college ramen habit.

If they have been in business less than 18 months and are undercutting everyone by 50% or more.. they won't last long, they never do.

Thanked by 3doghouch AuroraZ cassa
  • @Clouvider said:
    @thistle if I recall correctly the downtime the other day was because the old guy called the Datacentre and had them shutdown the server, which thy complied with for some ridiculous reason.

The old owner had zero clue of what he was doing and where he was going as Anthony said, you'd be down by now anyway.

As Elliot asked, can you send the paid invoice confirmation email and the products page screenshot ?

Otherwise until Ishaq responds it's just one side of the story.

https://imgur.com/a/52gnR

Thanked by 2Falzo Clouvider
  • this is sad.

thistle said: this is sad.

Check the link in my signature for a cheap but reliable UK OpenVZ 256 or 512mb package from just €8.00 p/year.

Thanked by 2Aidan yomero
This discussion has been closed.