Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KS-2E Promotion - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KS-2E Promotion

Comments

• XenosXenos Member

Has anyone gotten Windows templates to work on this machine? I have tried 2008 R2 Standard 3 times with no luck using Joodle's template.

• c0nnaxc0nnax Member

@Xenos said:
    Has anyone gotten Windows templates to work on this machine? I have tried 2008 R2 Standard 3 times with no luck using Joodle's template.

It seems only the 2008 R2 template has problems. Try the others.

• NoxxyNoxxy Member

I would much prefer an older drive than a new one. So long as the load cycle count and other factors are reasonable.

• @Noxxy said:
    I would much prefer an older drive than a new one. So long as the load cycle count and other factors are reasonable.

Why?

• hzrhzr Member

If it's going to fail it will have failed in the first few hundred hours

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @hzr said:

If it's going to fail it will have failed in the first few hundred hours

Sorta makes sense in a way.

• hzrhzr Member

mikewazar said: Sorta makes sense in a way.

If there was some obvious manufacturing defect it would have failed very quickly and been replaced, if something has been running for multiple years it's likely to fail in a slow down / throw a periodic read error way rather than implode out of nowhere

my 2p

• It's trying to charge me setup fee as well... Yet a friend ordered 3 with no setup fee at the same time. I'm guessing its got something to do with your accounts region?

• @jeromeza said:
    It's trying to charge me setup fee as well... Yet a friend ordered 3 with no setup fee at the same time. I'm guessing its got something to do with your accounts region?

I'm the friend :P

I signed up for an account while ordering and think I was put into the non-EU pool of accounts (does that exist?)

Anyone else facing the same?

• @mikewazar said:

@jeromeza said:
    It's trying to charge me setup fee as well... Yet a friend ordered 3 with no setup fee at the same time. I'm guessing its got something to do with your accounts region?

I'm the friend :P

I signed up for an account while ordering and think I was put into the non-EU pool of accounts (does that exist?)

Anyone else facing the same?

Just signed up for another using the same account and see I am now being charged for installation. I guess it's more luck of the baguette than regions.

• 10241024 Member

They have not replied to my ticket by now. Can you give the ovh's calidation email address. I can not find any email on the website. Thanks.

@sin said:

1024 said: How to remove VAT? I have just registered a new account. Thanks.

I opened a ticket and then sent a copy of my ID and recent bill with my address on it and my ovh order # and user ID to one of ovh's validation email addresses and about 1 week later I got an email saying they removed VAT and refunded the VAT I was charged (my ticket was never replied to though lol, they only replied to the email I sent).

• Keep in mind timezones...

• I cant see anyway around paying the VAT or installation fee. tried on two different vps's and at home

• williewillie Member

Nekki said: You can never have too much cheap storage, amirite?

Idk... just clicked "order" and it wants me to fill a captcha (cryptogramme visuelle) along with my cc#, but I don't see the captcha even with adblock off. So can't order anyway.

But, idk what I'd use another of these for. If I want another 2TB of storage I can get a Hetzner Storagebox for 10 eur/month with raid protection, no setup fee and far higher bandwidth. These no-raid servers are interesting if they have some compute power (these don't) or if you have enough of them to do software raid usefully (needs compute power in its own right) or if they're only backing something up (I think I have enough storage now to have copies in 2 places of all my data).

But, I see they're still available. Will sleep on it, check if they're still available in the morning, and probably still not buy.

• raynorraynor Member
    edited June 2017

Got one on the Ireland site:
    https://www.kimsufi.com/en/order/kimsufi.xml?reference=173sk92&quantity=1

Paid by cc, even with setup fee still good deal :)

• ninzo59ninzo59 Member, Host Rep

Seems OVH released it only on their FR site (https://www.kimsufi.com/fr/serveurs.xml?flash)

But indeed it looks like this is working with other countries' site, I tried with DE:
    https://www.kimsufi.com/de/bestellung/kimsufi.xml?reference=173sk92&quantity=1

Ordered one ! And got the fee aswell

• can you remind me the cancelation and refund procedure pls?

• I need to pay more 9.99 euro setup fee.

• Ordered from the /en/ and got hit with the setup fee. Not a huge deal though, the monthly rate is pretty decent.

• Setup plus the VAT. I'll pass

• williewillie Member

tridinebandim said:

can you remind me the cancelation and refund procedure pls?

Cancellation: just stop renewing.

Refund: dunno, I guess open a ticket if something went wrong. Otherwise I expect that once you bought it, it's yours.

Thanked by 1tridinebandim
  • williewillie Member

Btw I'd sure like it if they had these things in BHS.

I still haven't figured out what to do with another FR one, though I didn't get to think about it last night. Basically not sure how it beats a VPS or Storagebox-like plan at comparable price/TB. Yes it's a dedi, but it's a slow dedi on a slow network port.

Maybe if they're still available tonight I'll have thought of something by then.

• I got myself one at GRA (which is what I wanted network wise). GRA is now low on stock (RBX is still available as usual). I guess the 2Es are no longer as cherished as before (esp. with the 100Mbps link) but IMHO they're very useful backup/storage machines. They've been available and in stock for ~36 hours now it appears. The 2Es at ~7 Euro are much better value than the KS-1s at 5 Euro and I think the current offer is the cheapest (ever?) for a 2TB Atom.

• williewillie Member

Oh yes, I wouldn't get a KS-1 with KS-2E's available at this price. I'm just having trouble seeing how they're better at backup/storage than a non-dedi of comparable price and capacity and faster network is all. Yes I'm tempted anyway, I like dedis, so I'm trying to convince myself to stay away.

I already have one from last time if that matters (8 euro/m instead of 7), currently paid til September. And of course swapping to get the lower price would take 10 months to catch up because of the setup fee.

• The one thing that I do like (and don't mind paying for) about these 2Es are that they're pretty reliable (I don't mean in terms of disk or hardware but in terms of longer term reliability as a hosting provider). It's a (solid) dedi, with a reliable and proven provider and there's some confidence that your data on it is going to be there barring your own stupidity and the disk crashing (or something else going bad with the machine). When you think of a large chunk of data like ~2TB or thereabouts, even if the network is slow, I'm happy to know that the machine is going to be there as long as I pay for it (and of course I can always cancel at most with one month advance). Plus I've noticed that the disk subsystem [iops] (even on the slow-as-hell Atoms) for one user is fantastic as compared to a shared environment like a VPS and when you have a lot of (live) backups with many (millions?) files/inodes in use - it's much more consistent than a (typical) VPS performance wise and I don't have to worry about any abusive scenarios.

Yes - having AES and a faster processor is nice but those sales don't come too often and it's hard enough to get a machine (let alone at a preferred location).

If 1TB was enough, the online.net Atoms are probably better (better CPU+AES+network speed though network quality at OVH/KS is better/more consistent) as are probably some of the other Storage VPSs around.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2017

willie said: on a slow network port.

nullnothere said: even if the network is slow

Stop being such insufferable spoiled brats, a full 100 Mbit port you can use all you want with no sign of any overselling or throttling, is not "slow". There are providers with entire VPS nodes connected at less than that. And you're basically paying a single VPS price for this server.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • williewillie Member

rm_ said: a full 100 Mbit port you can use all you want with no sign of any overselling or throttling, is not "slow".

It takes 48 hours to back up a 2TB partition at 100 mbit. At 1 gbit it's done the same evening that it starts. I do get 1 gbit transfers from some of the storage VPS's that I use.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2017

It takes 48 hours to back up a 2TB partition at 100 mbit. At 1 gbit it's done the same evening that it starts.

And you need to do that... every day? Set up your backups so that you only send changes since the previous one (incremental).

I do get 1 gbit transfers from some of the storage VPS's

And with unmetered, so you can transfer the 2TB every evening without running out your monthly limit for a single transfer?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • williewillie Member

rm_ said:

And you need to do that... every day?

No. But the day may come when I want to restore without waiting 2 days.

And with unmetered, so you can transfer the 2TB every evening without running out your monthly limit for a single transfer?

I use very little transfer. It's mostly cold data.