Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndBox Possibly Closing - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndBox Possibly Closing

Comments

• KairusKairus Member
    edited January 2012

It all depends on what LEA decides, but I'd hope he would let someone else use the domain, it would be easier on everyone.

I would put my vote in for the fellow running 96mb, even though I don't really know him!

@drmike said: Only for so many users. I believe 30 or so. Last time I knew, we had over something like 900 users here.

I'm almost positive Vanilla is free, they just offer hosting options on their own servers.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @drmike said:
    Only for so many users. I believe 30 or so. Last time I knew, we had over something like 900 users here.

Just checked their site, unlimited members is 49usd/month. But their FAQ states:
    "What if I go over my plan limits?
    If you exceed your plan limits you will receive a polite email from us asking you to upgrade. That's it. Your community will continue to function as normal, you will still be able to access your account and all your data will still be available to you."

So it probably would be possible to use it for free, but you can't customize the free plan, thats all.

• @drmike said: Some one makes a statement and doesn't explain why they feel that way.

Dude, sorry, I have to call hypocrisy on that one. I've asked you more than once for an explanation or justification when you called me a bigot, and received no response.

• @Aldryic said: Dude, sorry, I have to call hypocrisy on that one. I've asked you more than once for an explanation or justification when you called me a bigot, and received no response.

No, you just didn't pay any attention when I did explain. You insulted me again and since then I've just been ignoring you.

• If you wouldn't mind pointing that out, I'd be happy to apologize for overlooking it. Otherwise, except accusing me of hating on "handicaps" by correcting a grammatical mistake, you've given me nothing sir.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@drmike said: Even if you;re not a provider, we have that already. People were thinking that with me and BuyVM.

Thats bad, but it would be worse if it was LEA in your shoes.

• Self-hosted vanilla forums are free from what I can see. The prices are at vanillaforums.com. He has to be using something installed from vanillaforums.org. There would be no cost to throw up another forum that we could all move to easily.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @dclardy said: Self-hosted vanilla forums are free from what I can see. The prices are at vanillaforums.com. He has to be using something installed from vanillaforums.org. There would be no cost to throw up another forum that we could all move to easily.

You are right! So I might decide to do it for real after all if LET goes black haha. Lets hope it wont get that far!

• @drmike said: @JoeMerit, if you have something to say to me, say it. Else stop wasting the time of the people here.

And I find it interesting that of the three people who thanked you, two of them are known spammers.

So you call me a spammer?

• @Christian said: So you call me a spammer?

So you're saying @maxexcloo isn't a spammer?

:P

• @Christian said: So you call me a spammer?

Who gives a shit what he called you? This is a forum. Get over it man. People take things the wrong way all the time. This place is starting to get ridiculous with all the babies that are starting to appear here. Get a set and suck it up. If you make smart ass comments, expect one to come back to you.

Thanked by 2djvdorp cleonard
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2012

I would vote DrMike too, he doesn't publicly affiliate him with his hosting company etc. and he's a nice guy and trustworthy. :)

I don't care if people don't like this, but to be honest he's one of the biggest contributors and longest standing contributors.

• drmike has a hosting company? What is it?

• @Naruto said: drmike has a hosting company? What is it?

He doesn't want to disclose it, and out of respect for him wanting privacy none of us dig to find out more.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @Naruto said: drmike has a hosting company? What is it?

He don't want to share it, but is always talking about it. I'm getting to the conclusion that he maybe don't have any company just would like to have one.

@Aldryic said: So you're saying @maxexcloo isn't a spammer?

:P

Is he? :D

@Christian said: He don't want to share it, but is always talking about it. I'm getting to the conclusion that he maybe don't have any company just would like to have one.

I'm pretty sure he does, however he most likely doesn't want to disclose it due to many reasons. End off.

• What if.... drmike is Dann Fry?

Thanked by 1Christian
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

The biggest problem I see with Doc is that he (similar as me sometimes) take things too personally and (again similar as me) don't know when it's time to stop sometimes. He's too easily challenged.
    What I liked with LEA was this mature little distance from our little chit chat issues. Not too much, we knew that he's somewhere around, but still enough that we didn't feel some pressure if someone said something "wrong" or "too much". He didn't react recklessly or put too much emotions into deling with our posts.
    Here are rare people capable of this.

• @Naruto said: What if.... is Dann Fry?

Dann Fry is a fiction. Myth. He does not exist!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Naruto said: What if.... drmike is Dann Fry?

ಠ_ಠ

edited January 2012

@Naruto said: What if.... drmike is Dann Fry?

Well >.> Umm.. I'd kill myself.

• It saddens me that in an important discussion about the future of our community, we've got a bunch of people acting like children.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • @NickM, this is just a forum. If it dies someone can remake it and throw it in their signature on WHT or something. No biggie.

• @Naruto, I don't think that would be very good for the community, do you? LowEndBox/LowEndTalk are established, known names. A new site would take time to earn a decent reputation, and just wouldn't be the same.

• @NickM it won't be the same anyway... asi es!

• @Kairus said: Hm, what about the person running 96mb? He seems pretty neutral and interested in LEB's. I've seen him commenting pretty often on LEB.

Agree, he is a good man too

I'm good too j/k. I wouldn't mine yomero even tbh.

• @drmike said: Only for so many users. I believe 30 or so. Last time I knew, we had over something like 900 users here.

Vanilla hosted is free, ad supported.

Vanilla on your own servers is not limited.

Also, I'd like to possibly volunteer if it's actually going down as a neutral third party :)

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited January 2012

A humble thought on the "provider running it", that he can:
    1- Provide hosting to both sites if needed.
    2- Know the small details involved (well that's if he is to maintain LEB).
    3- Only have an affiliate link to his company, and it be the only advantage his company having over other providers (I mean something similar to WHT, maybe..)

My suggestion is a honest, good, well known provider.

Or, someone with good experience in Linux and also providers, like the sleddogh suggestion (or anyone who is so good in development with experience with VPS and providers).

Best of luck

• @Go59954 said: Only have an affiliate link to his company

How is this an advantage to any provider? If you visit my site via direct link or affiliate link, I still get all the money from a sale.