Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndBox Possibly Closing - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndBox Possibly Closing

Comments

• @drmike said: We are? No offense but I don't recall that being discussed.

Whoever takes it over, some payment should be made to @LowEndAdmin of course. Even if it's a percentage over the first year or so. That's the first thought that came to my mind.

edit: A specific chuck per month would be bad. For all we know, the site could tank right after any change over.

sigh And I was going to try and get some laundry done today.

I swear that I read that somewhere. Either way, I do think that he should be given a portion of the ads for the first year. I think that it should start at say 50% and then progress downwards from there over the first year.

I would love to buy this thing from him though, but I don't have $10,000. I am 27, married, have a 3-year old so that $10,000 should go elsewhere.

I do think that whoever gets it should not be concealed anymore. There is no reason for it really. Or, I don't think there is one.

• @dclardy said: I swear that I read that somewhere.

Asim, Fran, myself, and someone else have suggested it.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • drmikedrmike Member
    edited January 2012

That's "chunk" not chuck. Excuse me.

@dclardy said: I do think that whoever gets it should not be concealed anymore. There is no reason for it really. Or, I don't think there is one.

The original reason @LowEndAdmin stated, besides being able to separate out life here and his private life, is that he didn't want special treatment when dealing with a provider. I can see that. Giving @LowEndAdmin a VPS all by itself on it's own server so that he can get wonderful and high numbers would be worth the cost of eating it on that box.

I could actually come up with the $10k but I don't think 3-5 years in a federal penn would be worth it.

And of course from a discussion way back when, using the standard 6-9 month of income, a price range of $3-5k might be better. :)

edit: That's not saying he couldn't get $10k for the site of course....

reedit: Whatever does happen, +1 for getting BurstNet to comment like everybody else does. :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

@Naruto said: Type xxx somewhere in your comments below if you want

It seems like winner is NickM with this post: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/23802#Comment_23802 considering how many people clicked "thanks" button near his post.

Anyway I think that privilege for hosts to use LEB community for promoting own business is enough and noone from them is in right position to overtake administration or ownership of this community.

• @drmike said: You guys wouldn't want me. I'd do something about the sock puppets who make comments as well as "reviews" without proof. Also considering two of the top 3 vote getters in the quarterly voting are in the dog house with me, my opinion about what makes a decent host may be a tad different from what other folks feel.

I'd love to help out, and totally objective (+ don't use any of the "top" hosts/ don't use buyvm/etc)

• cleonardcleonard Member
    edited January 2012

Well not the best news this morning.

One possibility that I have not heard is to split up LEB and LET. For me LEB is less valuable than LET. I stop by here pretty much daily and I usually find something to learn here. That said most of the income seems like it must come from LEB.

So how about LEA selling off LEB to the highest bidder and LET being maintained by someone from here. I think the conflict of interest issue would not be so great if LET were run by one of the providers vs LEB.

All I know for sure is that it will be a sad day when should LET shutdown and I'd like to avoid that eventuality if possible,

• Following the idea of @cleonard

What about just 2 people. One for LET (I vote for Fran, Kujoe or someone xD).
    And a neutral guy for LEB (The votes are going for mike).

But just an example, I guess not everybody has the time to mantain a site.

• I hope lowendbox doesn't go. If i was older then i would offer to take it over.

• @yomero said: What about just 2 people

And why not 3? ;-)
    I am not sure LET and LEB should ever be distinct. But I am pretty sure we need active moderator(s), maybe even killer(s) :-D

• @TigersWay said: And why not 3? ;-)

Hehe ok ok, but I mean, due to the reasons about neutrality, technical skills, and responsability to do it.

About moderators, yes, a couple of mods can help I think.

I have the killers xD

• HeinzHeinz Member
    edited January 2012

@yomero said: What about just 2 people. One for LET (I vote for Fran, Kujoe or someone xD).

What for? :) You're hanging in one community from Fran already (his irc channel). Isn't this enough? I don't see even one single reason why those hosting providers would be more appropriate to impartially manage community like this than some random smart guy like sleddog*.

Never, ever understimate impact of community ownership on business. It's never impartial. Take as example big irc channels. People talk with you, people think how cool you are after few words with you, people spread your company name everywhere around, post good reviews about you, vote for you.. so at the end of the day you don't even need to promote your bussiness around because you have great community to do this for you. As much as about fun it's also about business.

It's good to be hosted with those names but I don't want them in charge of this low end hosting community.

*random pick

• Please stop suggesting drmike to run this site. He should be the last person considered.

• I really like the idea of a rule by committee, it was suggested 2 from the hosting side, and 2 from the client side. I don't know the correct balance, but I think an odd number would be appropriate to avoid ties.

• Is a sad day, only recently found LEB & LET and much prefer it to WHT.

All the best to LEA for his future antics.

• HeinzHeinz Member
    edited January 2012

@miTgiB said: , it was suggested 2 from the hosting side, and 2 from the client side.

What for? With other words this mean that you suggested two which represent their business here and two from mass of all others? I don't want to get into argument but just think about it. There's not one single reason why hosting company representative specifically would be a part of this committee as such. I hope that there's no host with feeling that he needs to fight for business interrest at LEB&LET and need representative here.

• @Heinz

I agree and thats coming from a provider, the whole concept of LEB was that LEA was unbiased and had absolutely no ties to any hosting company. What do we want to turn this into another "Fake webhosting directory"

I dont think any provider should have any part in what happens with LEB/LET it would just ruin everything i actually like about the two sites.

Thanked by 2Heinz Martin
  • @VMPort bravo!

• @Aldryic said: And hell, there's bound to be a provider that would be willing to abstain from any self-promotion other than their signature.

Guess everyone missed taking that into consideration. It is possible, say for example, for Ash and Tim to run a LET-type site together while being fair to other providers.

I'm not saying it should be a provider, or that hosts/employees should have any added consideration over regular users... but I see no reason to discount the ethical ones.

• innyainnya Member
    edited January 2012

My input:

Form a committee to administrate LEB/LET is good(3 committee members should do) but no provider should be in it. Also, it should limit the average ages of committee members (21 and up).

However, providers can be involved as subcommittee members such as moderators in LET instead of administrators.

You need subcommittee of balance people (1 to 3users & 1 to 3providers) to vote for either from the subcommittee (non provider) or from outside of the committee to replace when one ot the committee members want to exit.

• @Aldryic

I do understand what your saying and you know your self there is a tight group of providers in this community that would always be willing to help each other out we aren't at each others necks or anything like that nor would we want to cause harm to each others companys..

That said i dont know.. i just like the idea of LowEndBox been ran by a end-user, a serious LowEnd fanatic that knows his stuff and enjoys writing about it.

If a provider was involved then everybody else would just think they didn't have a fair chance (Where offers/reviews etc) are concerned.

• Vanilla Forums are free. Someone make vpstalk.com or something and announce it here before it shuts down?

• HeinzHeinz Member
    edited January 2012

@Aldryic
    I would prefer Tim&Ash as my hosts rather than as person which administrate neutral place where I come to introduce my experience with TimHosting and come to express potential disagreement with AshHosting action if you know what I mean. No matter what, you guys use LEB&LET to represent your business first and then all rest..
    (I don't post this to oppose you by default and I know that you mean no harm with your post but I simply disagree with hosting company representative as someone in charge of this community).

• @Heinz

Mmm, true enough. I'd been thinking more from an 'advantageous for the community' perspective and didn't consider negative reviews that much. @VMPort has a good point as well.. we're a fairly tight-knit group that doesn't mind helping each other out, so regardless of who ends up administrating (if that's the path LEA chooses) I'm sure they'll get plenty of help from the providers when they need a hand with something technical.

• @Heinz said: than some random smart guy like sleddog*.

Yes, sleddog ftw. And there are others, like Xeoncross, or Steve

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

No matter what; if anyone running a hosting business takes over either LEB and/or LET there will always be rumours or speculations if/when there are favours for certain people.

My 2 cents goes to let someone not involved with any specific host run the show.
    Or let LEA stay as owner and someone appointed by LEA do the work.

• Hm, what about the person running 96mb? He seems pretty neutral and interested in LEB's. I've seen him commenting pretty often on LEB.

• @Naruto said: Vanilla Forums are free. Someone make vpstalk.com or something and announce it here before it shuts down?

If the decision would be to bring LET down, I would do that for sure. I'm just an simple member here, not affiliated with any provider or whatsoever.

• Why did Dr.Mike do this to us?

Thanked by 2Christian tux
  • @Naruto said: Vanilla Forums are free. Someone make vpstalk.com or something and announce it here before it shuts down?

Btw; vpstalk.com has already been taken haha.
    But the main problem would be to get all the members here over to there I think..

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited January 2012

@JoeMerit said: Please stop suggesting drmike to run this site. He should be the last person considered.

This is one of the problems I have this site. Some one makes a statement and doesn't explain why they feel that way.

@JoeMerit, if you have something to say to me, say it. Else stop wasting the time of the people here.

And I find it interesting that of the three people who thanked you, two of them are known spammers.

edit: Thanks for proving @LowEndAdmin's point. :)

I have to admit that I'm against any sort of committee. Getting folks to agree on something is not that happens quite often.

@Naruto said: Vanilla Forums are free

Only for so many users. I believe 30 or so. Last time I knew, we had over something like 900 users here.

@MikHo said: No matter what; if anyone running a hosting business takes over either LEB and/or LET there will always be rumours or speculations if/when there are favours for certain people.

Even if you;re not a provider, we have that already. People were thinking that with me and BuyVM.

@ztec said: Why did Dr.Mike do this to us?

Yet another WTF?

Thanked by 1djvdorp