Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndBox Possibly Closing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndBox Possibly Closing

JoelJoel Member
edited January 2012 in General

Hi Guys,

A bit of a post from LEA on LEB: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/exit0/

Regards,

Joel

Comments

• This is all your fault, @Joel.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I can't belive it!
    However I know how he feels as I had the same thoughs with an old "hobby" project that taken all of me until I decided to pull the plug for a while...

• fanfan Veteran

Is today April 1st? If not, truly bad news.

• I hope LET/LEB are kept alive. I've learnt a lot from the community here.

• @prometeus said: However I know how he feels as I had the same thoughs with an old "hobby" project that taken all of me until I decided to pull the plug for a while...

Yep, I've committed infosuicide before as a result of old "hobby" projects.

• Type 123456 somewhere in your comments below if you want Tim from Hostigation to take over.

Type 654321 if you want Joe from SecureDragon to take over.

Type 12321 if you want Francisco from BuyVM to take over.

Type 777 if you want me to take over.

Hold ALT+F4 if you want @Joel to take over.

• I vote 1337 (Aldryic).

• Honestly, I don't think that anyone involved with a hosting company should take over... it would just be a huge conflict of interest.

• No its January 19th

That it sad news, hope LeB and LeT continue

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited January 2012

I also think that someone not involved with hosting (as a provider) should take over. Of course it is LowEndAdmin who has to choose.

So:

• Not involved with a hosting provider
    • AND is at least 40 years old (or otherwise mature enough)
    • AND has great technical knowledge and experience
    Thanked by 1Asim
  • Agreed with @NickM that hosting provider shouldn't be the owner for LEB/LET.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • I am not a provider. Throwing that out there.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I'm a provider. We host several projects that we think are interesting without asking anything back (not even a link in credits) . So in the (i hope remote) need we will put all the resource required to host the project.

• @NickM said: Honestly, I don't think that anyone involved with a hosting company should take over... it would just be a huge conflict of interest.

Mmm, I won't instantly agree with that statement. I see what you think there, but I think @Francisco for instance would be competent, as BuyVM is not trying to get new customers from LEB a lot...
    But conflicting interest should be avoided indeed.

• drmike. That is all.

• Who said we get to vote?

• @vedran said: Who said we get to vote?

Nobody did, but I suggested it in the comments of his blogpost.

• If he does end up selling it I hope it is to someone who knows the industry well like he does, and also where he does not sell it to another host.

• No host should be running LEB/LET, the whole point of LEB is LEA reviewing providers from a unbiased point of view.

What the hell would be the point in a provider running it? Anybody saying such things clearly cant grasp the concept of what LEB/LET stands for.

@drmike is a clear winner in my eyes.. Honest, knowledgeable and not afraid to speak his mind.

• +1 for @drmike seems a trustable person

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • AldryicAldryic Member
    edited January 2012

@Reetus said: I vote 1337 (Aldryic).

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I don't have the tolerance for managing communities anymore <_< Not to mention that Frantech takes up most of my free time :P

I wouldn't have a problem with a provider or group of folks running the show, so long as the established rules for posting/etc stay in place. And hell, there's bound to be a provider that would be willing to abstain from any self-promotion other than their signature.

No offense to @drmike, but despite his relative anonymity and refusal to involve his own hosting business, I don't think he'd be the best pick for reasons similar to myself. If there is going to be a single admin, it needs to be someone that won't lose their temper or hold a grudge. Alternately, have a small group of individuals with conflicting personalities that are willing to work with each other.

EDIT: I do agree with Asim's suggestion that revenue from the site(s) should continue to go to LEA, though.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited January 2012

@VMPort said: @drmike is a clear winner in my eyes.. Honest, knowledgeable and not afraid to speak his mind.

You guys wouldn't want me. I'd do something about the sock puppets who make comments as well as "reviews" without proof. Also considering two of the top 3 vote getters in the quarterly voting are in the dog house with me, my opinion about what makes a decent host may be a tad different from what other folks feel.

No offense to @LowEndAdmin of course. As I and others have stated, it is his site and he can run it in any way he wants to.

I will say that I agree with the amount of scammers that we see around here. I haven't pointed figures but we have a lot of providers here who we have black balled at the route levels because they don't follow up on spam and/or abuse complaints.

Have to admit though that I could use the money. And I do have the time. I don;t have the ready cash to cut @LowEndAdmin a check though. My experience with dealing with DDoS attacks is rather limited as well.

edit: And just to mention, my hosting is within managed shared as well as dedicated. I am not within the VPS market. Heck, I took one look at the Xen docs and went "Huh?"

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited January 2012

@Aldryic said: it needs to be someone that won't lose their temper or hold a grudge

Sounds good to me. Let's make the same rule apply to providers as well please.

edit: And enforce it.

reedit: And start a sh*t list for providers who couldn't follow the rules. Like those who email bomb @LowEndAdmin with offers. :)

• @drmike said: Sounds good to me. Let's make the same rule apply to providers as well please.

Agreed. The best replacement I could see would be a couple of unbiased providers and a couple of regulars, like you and Asim. Let the providers take care of things like maintenance and DDoS protection, let the individuals handle the LEB posting requests.

• @drmike

You just listed all the reasons we would want you.

• The issue here is that someone would have to continue to monitor all the providers and write the dead pool posts. Plus, you would need to clear out a pretty full inbox and continue to write the post about new providers. I think that one person should be placed in charge and do that stuff. We could then have guest posts about technical things (These could come from providers and a link could be given to them for their work).

To be honest, it sounds like it would be a lot of fun, but the community would have to help that person get all of this setup or is LEA going to transfer all of that stuff as well? I also think that we need to add some type of moderators to the forum so that some of the rules can be followed a little closer. No more of this join and post an ad type of stuff!

To be honest, I love this place, and I would hate to see it go anywhere. I am also willing to lend my time to help. I am not great at technical things, but I can write blog posts pretty damn well.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @dclardy said: We could then have guest posts about technical things (These could come from providers and a link could be given to them for their work).

I may get crap for this but a number of us have offered to help @LowEndAdmin on some of this stuff in the past and we never heard anything back. We tried to offload the busy work when it comes to offers such as checking nameserver addresses and the like.

We tried.

shrug

Thanked by 1Xeoncross
  • @drmike said: We tried.

Well, I think that goes back to him not having time to truly run the community. I don't think that you will find anyone that would do this without pay without some help, and we are all in agreement it seems that LEA should continue to get the add money from the site.

I really hope that he does not sell the site on Flippa.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited January 2012

@dclardy said: we are all in agreement it seems that LEA should continue to get the add money from the site.

We are? No offense but I don't recall that being discussed.

Whoever takes it over, some payment should be made to @LowEndAdmin of course. Even if it's a percentage over the first year or so. That's the first thought that came to my mind.

edit: A specific chunk per month would be bad. For all we know, the site could tank right after any change over.

sigh And I was going to try and get some laundry done today.