Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I live in Iran. I am looking for a VPN/SSH tunnel alternative. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I live in Iran. I am looking for a VPN/SSH tunnel alternative.

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jenkki said: I just always wondered, how to ban whole set of protocols on specific country by govs or special forces?

Why would that be hard? The government controls all telecomm and Internet connections. You can't get to the Internet without going through something the government controls.

fusetea said: I'm dealing with trade.

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited March 2017

raindog308 said: Why would that be hard?

That only on paper, in reality things may be significant different. Better ask local peoples what is it in reality.

jenkki said: That only on paper, in reality things may be significant different. Better ask local peoples what is it in reality.

It's not. There really are countries where all internet traffic is government-controlled.

Do you just like to argue with every fact put before you?

• raindog308 said: There really are countries where all internet traffic is government-controlled.

Internet traffic controlled everywhere in every country. Tell me a country where internet traffic not controlled ?

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited March 2017

OpenVPN with stunnel.. unless they block SSL 443 (aka. entire HTTPS protocol), blocking this will be impossible. This creates a normal SSL layer above the OpenVPN tunnel to block the DPI systems that are looking for OpenVPN traffic. Refer to: http://serverfault.com/questions/675553/stunnel-vpn-traffic-and-ensure-it-looks-like-ssl-traffic-on-port-443

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

stefeman said: blocking this will be impossible

Unfortunately, not. Typical SSL traffic is way different than what VPN traffic looks like, even if we only consider bursts, number of packets, amount of traffic per average minute, how many endpoints does it have, is it a site at that address, etc.
    It is highly unlikely you visit a non-existent site at an IP in a datacenter which offers VPSes and all night you are visiting that site and none other, gigabytes per day. It wont work if they know what they are doing.

• k0nslk0nsl Member
    edited March 2017

That is peculiar. In other cases people would jump at the chance for some free publicity...but you’re not “brave enough”?

Can you PM me the details? I can keep it confidential if you’re insisting on keeping your company details a secret on LET.

[EDIT: Fixed a minor grammatical issue. Sigh.]

@emre said:
    no I am not brave enough to post my company details in public especially on LET.

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited March 2017

It will most probably be possible to tunnel through TXT records in DNS requests via Iodine, but also pretty slow. I used to use that setup in combination with Ziproxy in extreme situations.

edited March 2017

florianb said: if they have a default of "BLOCK ALL" and then add excludes, it won't work at all.

I doubt that. The point in censorship is not to block everything and allow only some things, but to block the vast majority of independent or "enemy" views.
    If 99% of iranians cannot connect to BBC, then it is fine, the 1% which can are unlikely to be stopped without considerable effort. After all, skyDSL and the like are available in Iran, who can stop them, even more, if they do manage to block effectively the remaining 1%, they will not only get alternative ways to be online, such as connecting to neighboring countries in some ways over 4g, whatever, but also satellite AND share those connections with other people internally, I mean behind the firewall where nothing will help.

Thanked by 1Kevinjoa
    edited March 2017

@Maounique said:

stefeman said: blocking this will be impossible

Unfortunately, not. Typical SSL traffic is way different than what VPN traffic looks like, even if we only consider bursts, number of packets, amount of traffic per average minute, how many endpoints does it have, is it a site at that address, etc.
    It is highly unlikely you visit a non-existent site at an IP in a datacenter which offers VPSes and all night you are visiting that site and none other, gigabytes per day. It wont work if they know what they are doing.

You can't identify it based on protocol/port number or signature/name. It would be very hard to tell a difference even for DPI unless it's set to monitor the amount of traffic per each individual. That would take insane resources to contrack every single user thus It works pretty much everywhere.

edited March 2017

stefeman said: unless it's set to monitor the amount of traffic per each individual.

Nope, but it can be set to count per connection on external IPs.
    detect SSL, start counting, after 100 MB block. At 1000 MB hard block, drop packets at firewall level for that IP for a month.

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited March 2017

Maounique said: If 99% of iranians cannot connect to BBC, then it is fine, the 1% which can are unlikely to be stopped without considerable effort. After all, skyDSL and the like are available in Iran, who can stop them, even more, if they do manage to block effectively the remaining 1%, they will not only get alternative ways to be online, such as connecting to neighboring countries in some ways over 4g, whatever, but also satellite AND share those connections with other people internally, I mean behind the firewall where nothing will help.

How you to know it? Where you get this information? From newspapers? Are you in Iran? As Iranian talking about internet in Romania..

edited March 2017

@Maounique said:

stefeman said: unless it's set to monitor the amount of traffic per each individual.

Nope, but it can be set to count per connection on external IPs.
    detect SSL, start counting, after 100 MB block. At 1000 MB hard block, drop packets at firewall level for that IP for a month.

Sure, but how much resources would it take to do this for 20 million subscribers at the same time? Also this would kill services like VyperVPN which especially targets iran using similar techniques to mask the OpenVPN connection.

Rather than trying to block the 1% with 99% resources, they will focus on 99% with 1% of the resources needed.

Thanked by 1jenkki
  • That hard to release listen every mobile conversation and control every internet connection

edited March 2017

jenkki said: How you to know it? Where you get this information? From newspapers? Are you in Iran? As Iranian talking about internet in Romania..

Iranians are educated people, we do not talk about al-shabab or boko haram here, many people think iran is a backward country with stupid people beating their wives. Actually Iranian women are more educated compared to men than in most countries with few exceptions.
    But that is irrelevant.
    I know how internet came to romania.
    First through BBS which offered a line for a few minutes for 1-2 Kbps. The dialup and leased lines costing 1-2 minimal wages around 95, then gradually going below 1 minimum wage towards 2000.
    People shared the connection, this is why internet is so cheap here, because many of the network neighbourhoods grew up to become ISPs and competition is fierce, there were networks run by volunteers spanning thousands of subscribers in some areas, even different POPs connected through CB radio across the town, you wouldn't believe the ingenuity of people back then.
    I figure iranians can do the same, one guy puts up satellite broadband and gives wi-fi or even UTP lines to houses near, splitting the fee: it starts at 20 Eur a month or maybe lower. They can afford it, so, if the local monopolies are censoring the internet, there are always alternatives, perhaps more expensive, less convenient, but always there to be used and shared int he neighbourhood or over the local loop with VPN behind the firewall.

stefeman said: Rather than trying to block the 1% with 99% resources, they will focus on 99% with 1% of the resources needed.

Exactly my point. Keeping tabs on each connection is possible, that way, at ISP level, they can see connections outside and count each byte, adding destination IP and blocks every 1 GB of data per source IP is not that hard. It may not be cheap, but perfectly doable, if the regime thinks it's stability depends on it.

Thanked by 1Hassan
  • Maounique said: Iranians are educated people

Many middle east peoples,not too young, got education in Soviet Union previosly where was a best education ever, so not surprises as well.

jenkki said: That hard to release listen every mobile conversation and control every internet connection

You're right. There are absolutely no countries in the world where the Internet is blocked or the government spies on its citizens. Even in North Korea, Syria, and Tunisia, there is no monitoring. They just can't do it. Great Firewall of China? A myth.

Thanks for bringing us up to speed.

• @emre said:

yolo_me said: @WSS said: @fustea Do you have an extended family? Is there any specific reason you haven't jumped at the opportunity @emre has offered you?

This. Not sure why he's not jumping. I'd give @emre a bj if I am iranian and he offered to reloc me and my fam to Turkey. LOL

My offer stands if anybody interested.

you don't need to be Iranian btw.

I am searching for an assistant for the last 2 3 months or so, after at least 10's of job interviews with people I am thinking If anybody ever installed some kind of linux to their computer.

My requirements are easy.

1- have a little bit knowledge about linux and how internet works. (My job application form have only one question : "what is dns ?")

2- ability to understand what you read in English a little bit.

That's all.

If you're at LET, and you've at least a few drops in technical knowledge, chances are you know what DNS is :P

• WSSWSS Member

@FlamesRunner said:
    If you're at LET, and you've at least a few drops in technical knowledge, chances are you know what DNS is :P

Denise
    Nancy
    Susan

You get all three to do jello shots, then do some round-Robyn. Robyn's always up for it and Nancy just needs two shots to loosen up and start nibbling on Susan's ear.. and we all know Denise is a ho. Wait, what were we talking about, again?

• YuraYura Member

@yolo_me said:
    Not sure why he's not jumping. I'd give @emre a bj

Sure. A blow job is still a job.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @WSS

Correction: General idea of what DNS is

• @emre said:

yolo_me said: @WSS said: @fustea Do you have an extended family? Is there any specific reason you haven't jumped at the opportunity @emre has offered you?

This. Not sure why he's not jumping. I'd give @emre a bj if I am iranian and he offered to reloc me and my fam to Turkey. LOL

My offer stands if anybody interested.

you don't need to be Iranian btw.

I am searching for an assistant for the last 2 3 months or so, after at least 10's of job interviews with people I am thinking If anybody ever installed some kind of linux to their computer.

My requirements are easy.

1- have a little bit knowledge about linux and how internet works. (My job application form have only one question : "what is dns ?")

2- ability to understand what you read in English a little bit.

That's all.

too easy
    lmao

• There is still a way you may didn't try it, install http proxy on port 80 on your VPS, and then use bitvise with http proxy, check the ssh tunnel and connect it (now you have ssh tunnel on 127.0.0.1:1080), then to also bypass the DNS you can use proxifier and check DNS through shocks proxy.

• @brian777 said:
    There is still a way you may didn't try it, install http proxy on port 80 on your VPS, and then use bitvise with http proxy, check the ssh tunnel and connect it (now you have ssh tunnel on 127.0.0.1:1080), then to also bypass the DNS you can use proxifier and check DNS through shocks proxy.

How can I do that?

• raindog308 said: There are absolutely no countries in the world where the Internet is blocked or the government spies on its citizens. Even in North Korea, Syria, and Tunisia, there is no monitoring. They just can't do it. Great Firewall of China? A myth.

Basically I told about bit other things. If you think internet not controlled by govs and special forces in other countries you are wrong

In USA for example - FBI, NSA, DMCA and several others we don;t even know, they control even Torrent traffic and can enter every encrypted connection.

Several EU countries ban VoIP traffic for example, Germany, etc So that questionable about some lands of freedom where no censorship exist. That other myph

• Have you tried openvpn with obfsproxy or openvpn with stunnel?
    or openvpn with xor patch?

• @muratai said:
    Have you tried openvpn with obfsproxy or openvpn with stunnel?
    or openvpn with xor patch?

XOR Patch is working. But I do not know how it is done. Can you help?

• https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=3619.0
    you need git installed. pkg command won't work on debian or centos

on mac os x, tunnelblick seems to support openvpn xor patch.
    on windows, you'll need a seperate openvpn client I guess.

on ios, I doubt there is a client for this.

jenkki said: n USA for example - FBI, NSA, DMCA and several others we don;t even know, they control even Torrent traffic and can enter every encrypted connection.

Not sure if trolling...

• I can't believe that Shadowsocks is banned. It's not possible.
    Shadowsocks is designed specifically against DPI.
    I have to ask if you have actually tried it in Iran.