Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr $2.50 for 512MB - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr $2.50 for 512MB

Comments

• keem5tar said:

How's the CPU performance compared to 1GB plan?

Same. Maybe they start throttling earlier, but I got the full core for around 20 minutes nonstop (ffmpeg compilation).

• sergsergiusergsergiu Member
    edited March 2017

Vultr removed 30$/referral promotion and added firewall and $2.5 instance (x2). Fair enough :/

• sergsergiu said: Vultr removed 30$/referral promotion

Damn, it looks like they did get rid of that. I have a client who I was going to invite to sign up next meeting. Oh well.

• So set up one of the $2.50 VPS with IP of 45.32.x.x as a VPN server. Seems there IP block is blocked from certain sites. Best example is online.net which just gives a 404 error page when access from 45.32.x.x IP. which is a shame :(
    Means they are probably no good as usage for cheap VPNs

• BG32BG32 Member

@bohdans said:
    So set up one of the $2.50 VPS with IP of 45.32.x.x as a VPN server. Seems there IP block is blocked from certain sites. Best example is online.net which just gives a 404 error page when access from 45.32.x.x IP. which is a shame :(

mine isnt blocked from anything, also if its blocked on online.net = end of world / worst possible thing that could happen to someone

• @BG32 said:

@bohdans said:
    So set up one of the $2.50 VPS with IP of 45.32.x.x as a VPN server. Seems there IP block is blocked from certain sites. Best example is online.net which just gives a 404 error page when access from 45.32.x.x IP. which is a shame :(

mine isnt blocked from anything, also if its blocked on online.net = end of world / worst possible thing that could happen to someone

online.net was just a single example. have you got a 45.32.x.x IP or something else?

• bapbap Member

@sergsergiu said: Vultr removed 30$/referral promotion and added firewall and $2.5 instance (x2). Fair enough :/

Lucky, yesterday I sign up a new account while $20 promo still last :)

• Where does it state in the FAQ or Vultr offerings that the $2.5 instance is limited to 2x instances per account?

• tomzutomzu Member

Is the credit applied immediately? I signed up, but no credit.

@Lunar said:

@Jackcool said:

@surihost said:
    http://www.vultr.com/?ref=7123679

Invalid username/password
    can not be registered

You may be too many affiliate links

Try mine if you'd like :) http://www.vultr.com/?ref=6963070

• @ucxo said:
    Here's a benchmark of a Frankfurt $2.50 instance:

-------------------------
     nench.sh benchmark
     2017-03-01 16:24:34 UTC

Processor:    Virtual CPU a7769a6388d5
    CPU cores:    1
    Frequency:    2394.454 MHz
    RAM:          494M
    Swap:         -
    Kernel:       Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
    vda  20G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        4.011 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        6.449 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        1.688 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 177.2 us / 244.0 us / 4.65 ms / 56.2 us
    ioping: sequential speed
        generated 2.93 k requests in 5.00 s, 733.2 MiB, 586 iops, 146.6 MiB/s

dd test
        1st run:    358 MB/s
        2nd run:    355 MB/s
        3rd run:    346 MB/s
        average:    353 MB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    45.32.156.*

Cachefly CDN:         161MB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        146MB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   10.5MB/s
        Online.net (FR):      61.9MB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         8.31MB/s

IPv6 speedtests
        your IPv6:    2001:19f0:6c01:*

Leaseweb (NL):        143MB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   2.09MB/s
        Online.net (FR):      87.0MB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         3.86MB/s

And here's a reflink that earns you $20 right away and me $30 when you've spent $10: http://www.vultr.com/?ref=7111620-3B :)

I already register with your aff link and make 10$ payment. no extra 20$ arrives in my account
    ????

• It seems that $20 free credit promo is over?

• @balihosting said:
    I already register with your aff link and make 10$ payment. no extra 20$ arrives in my account
    ????

That promotion has ended.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited March 2017

jeromeza said: Where does it state in the FAQ or Vultr offerings that the $2.5 instance is limited to 2x instances per account?

Not in the FAQ but...

Beating them up for not having that in the FAQ is certainly legit.

• ucxoucxo Member

balihosting said: I already register with your aff link and make 10$ payment. no extra 20$ arrives in my account ????

That promotion only ran for a limited time, though I didn't expect it to be limited to a few days… Sorry :/

• @BG32 said:

@bohdans said:

It's blocked by me:

DROP       all  --  45.32.0.0/16         0.0.0.0/0           

due to abuse. Probably by many others as well beyond online.net. Vultr really should focus more on cleaning up their network, not pulling in more people who will dirty it up for all of two and a half bucks. Of course, the same can be said for a lot of these big providers who are moving into the low-end market.

Thanked by 1bohdans
  • williewillie Member
    edited March 2017

Interesting. I'm able to connect to online.net from mine, but the ping time is about 15ms longer than it is from another vps in a similar location (western US).

Too bad about the $20+$30 promo ending but I think it was too good to be true, in that it could easily be gamed. E.g. gift a plan to your friend by giving her $10 cash and getting her to sign up and deposit the $10 with vultr from her credit card. So you've gotten $30 credit for $10 outlay and she's gotten $30 credit for nothing, pretty sweet.

• @willie said:
    Interesting. I'm able to connect to online.net from mine, but the ping time is about 15ms longer than it is from another vps in a similar location (western US).

Too bad about the $20+$30 promo ending but I think it was too good to be true, in that it could easily be gamed. E.g. gift a plan to your friend by giving her $10 cash and getting her to sign up and deposit the $10 with vultr from her credit card. So you've gotten $30 credit for $10 outlay and she's gotten $30 credit for nothing, pretty sweet.

Hm... I got 3 signups with my aff link using the 30bonus campain, does it mean I'll get $90 of total credits ? All have made their $10 deposit.

• FredQc said:

Hm... I got 3 signups with my aff link using the 30bonus campain, does it mean I'll get $90 of total credits ? All have made their $10 deposit.

I think that was the idea. I know someone using Digital Ocean for a dynamic service (i.e. frequently spinning small VM's up and down) and had planned to suggest that he add Vultr to his backend, but Vultr shut off that promo before I got around to seeing the person.

• Since when $2.50 for 512MB is cheap? I pay 3$ for 2Gb ram with ddos protection on OVH, I could get 2GB for a lot less but without the DDOS on another provider.

• @FredQc said:

@willie said:

Well, they need to spend 10$ and needs to be 30days old to be confirmed refferal.
    80% of refferals will be confirmed with time.. i still have reffs not confirmed by 1yr ago.. and ~10% of reffs are "Account Closed" , idk why... abuse or other similar things. I have ~15-20 reffs every mo :)

• williewillie Member
    edited March 2017

newfulluser said: Since when $2.50 for 512MB is cheap?

It's cheap by "cloud" standards. There's a special font that cloud providers use that makes their web site smell like money, so that lets them charge more. Do you understand now? :)

More srsly, it's nice to have hourly billing, the ability to spin vps up and down from an api, and 20gb of ssd instead of 10 even if the ram is lower. Also the OVH plan in USD is $3.50.

• newfulluser said: Since when $2.50 for 512MB is cheap? I pay 3$ for 2Gb ram with ddos protection on OVH, I could get 2GB for a lot less but without the DDOS on another provider.

Funny, but I have 8Gb OVH box for $2,25 per month with unlimited transfer recurring.. :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jenkki said: Funny, but I have 8Gb OVH box for $2,25 per month with unlimited transfer recurring.. :)

That's because you work for OVH.

Thanked by 2netomx dedicados
  • raindog308 said: That's because you work for OVH.

Noope.. just found new year promo, looks like a configuration mistake by provider, but still alive.

• @jenkki Link?

• @impossiblystupid said:

@BG32 said:

@bohdans said:

It's blocked by me:

DROP       all  --  45.32.0.0/16         0.0.0.0/0           

due to abuse. Probably by many others as well beyond online.net. Vultr really should focus more on cleaning up their network, not pulling in more people who will dirty it up for all of two and a half bucks. Of course, the same can be said for a lot of these big providers who are moving into the low-end market.

Thanks for the input. I'm guessing you are not the only one, which confirms that they are not a good fit for VPNs

• willie said: More srsly, it's nice to have hourly billing, the ability to spin vps up and down from an api, and 20gb of ssd instead of 10 even if the ram is lower. Also the OVH plan in USD is $3.50.

Well OVH has hourly billing too. I personaly think 10GB of SSD are worth a lot less than 2GB of ram. And yes 3.5USD I got confused with the price in euros. Does vultr have DDOS protection?

• OVH hourly billing costs 2x the monthly rate iirc, and also you have to drop a $40(?) deposit before you can even start using OVH hourly services. Re ram vs ssd, I'm not sure what costs more, but which is more useful depends on your application, and for most of my stuff I'd prefer ssd. I don't think vultr is ddos protected to any extent. Vultr has more locations than OVH. Etc. etc., it's all trade-offs.

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

impossiblystupid said: DROP all -- 45.32.0.0/16 0.0.0.0/0

no /8?
    How disappointing, where are the real men these days :(

• newfulluser said: Since when $2.50 for 512MB is cheap?

It's cheap for APAC location.