Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr $2.50 for 512MB - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr $2.50 for 512MB

Comments

• uh oh. I suddenly feel nervous about the roughly $80 of vultr credit I have left from their 2014 launch double-credit offer.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@AdamM said:
    But what it does not say is that if you seed it with $100 and they match $100, but you only actually spend $75 in the first year, you then loose out on a big chunk of money they matched you.

Well, in the FAQ at the bottom of the page, they do say:

"Does my match promotion credit expire?
    Yes. Any unused promotional credit will expire 12 months after issuance."

So there would be little point in trying to get $100 in matching credit unless you wanted to spend a lot on Vultr services in the first year.

• AdamMAdamM Member
    edited March 2017

@angstrom said:

@AdamM said:
    But what it does not say is that if you seed it with $100 and they match $100, but you only actually spend $75 in the first year, you then loose out on a big chunk of money they matched you.

So there would be little point in trying to get $100 in matching credit unless you wanted to spend a lot on Vultr services in the first year.

Yes, but they don't explain how the book-keeping works. You don't know (unless you ask them) when your $100 is spent or when theirs is spent. I might expect that if I seed with $100, and then spend $100 dollars the first year in VPS fees, then I might think that I took advantage of the match... because one might think that it would have used the matched credit first... personally I think it is confusing... but clear once I asked them.

• AmitzAmitz Member

They do, on the given page:

How is the match credit applied to my account?

Credit is applied on a 50/50 basis. If your hourly accrued balance is $10, $5 will be deducted from promotional credit, and $5 will be deducted from real funds.

Thanked by 1angstrom

@AdamM said:

@angstrom said:

@AdamM said:

Yes, but they don't explain how the book-keeping works. You don't know (unless you ask them) when your $100 is spent or when theirs is spent. I might expect that if I seed with $100, and then spend $100 dollars the first year in VPS fees, then I might think that I took advantage of the match... because one might think that it would have used the matched credit first... personally I think it is confusing... but clear once I asked them.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but doesn't the following entry in the FAQ clear this up?

"How is the match credit applied to my account?
    Credit is applied on a 50/50 basis. If your hourly accrued balance is $10, $5 will be deducted from promotional credit, and $5 will be deducted from real funds."

• AdamMAdamM Member

O, yes I finally see it on their FAQ... doh!

Thanked by 1Amitz

@AdamM said:
    O, yes I finally see it on their FAQ... doh!

@Amitz beat me to it by two minutes!

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • sayem314sayem314 Member
    edited March 2017

and catching a 3.6ghz cpu on 250cent plan is the best feeling! <3

sandx

• bapbap Member
    edited March 2017

@sayem314 said:

Do you, by any chance, have made any version of win 2016 (not 2012) works on Vultr?

• Looks like there's some new (March 2017) coupons that are better than last month's, but for new signups only as far as I can tell. Meh.

• @bap said:

@sayem314 said:

Do you, by any chance, have made any version of win 2016 (not 2012) works on Vultr?

No! But it's easy to made.

• I only received 2.4ghz instances of 2.5USD :(, All in Los Angeles, CA

• @sayem314 said:

@bap said:

@sayem314 said:

No! But it's easy to made.

I do but I'll have to dig it out again

• sinsin Member

sayem314 said: and catching a 3.6ghz cpu on 250cent plan is the best feeling! <3

lol I refuse to let go of my 3.6ghz plan that I have from so long ago

Thanked by 1sayem314
  • @sin said:

sayem314 said: and catching a 3.6ghz cpu on 250cent plan is the best feeling! <3

lol I refuse to let go of my 3.6ghz plan that I have from so long ago

I plan to fish a little in AMS, if I ever need it.

Thanked by 1sin
  • Wonder if there's a mix of cpu types at any given location. Also the 3.6 ghz machines are likely to have fewer cores, thus more sensitivity to noisy neighbor workloads.

Thanked by 2vimalware sayem314
  • mgilangmgilang Member
    edited March 2017

pff edit, my mistake

• BG32BG32 Member

@sayem314 said:

sandx

Location?

• @BG32 said:

@sayem314 said:

Location?

This one is on NJ

• Anyone notice the $2.50 VPS IP's are all Geolocated to NY, while $5+ VPS IP's are all Geolocated correctly?

@bohdans said:
    Anyone notice the $2.50 VPS IP's are all Geolocated to NY, while $5+ VPS IP's are all Geolocated correctly?

Well, I have a $2.50 Vultr VPS at their Paris location and the IPv4 is correctly geolocated to Paris.

• @bohdans said:
    Anyone notice the $2.50 VPS IP's are all Geolocated to NY, while $5+ VPS IP's are all Geolocated correctly?

Maybe it's a case by case basis? I had 3 of the $2.5 plans (Create Destroy Create Destroy....) and two of them was geolocated correctly (JP) and one was geolocated in the U.S.(Dont remember exact location). But all of them gave the same ping so wasn't that big of a issue.

• damn :( might destroy a deploy a few more and try some other IPs

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2017

sanvit said: two of them was geolocated correctly (JP) and one was geolocated in the U.S.

Yep it's a luck of the draw, I remember getting the same results when creating multiple $5 boxes in Japan some time ago.

• OK, so destroyed a rebuilt 9 times, but finally got an IP GeeLocated correctly.

@bohdans said:
    OK, so destroyed a rebuilt 9 times, but finally got an IP GeeLocated correctly.

Presumably, Vultr can't predict in advance how many IPs they will need in each location, and so sometimes (often?) they will grab an IP from another location, if necessary. It's also possible that their higher-priced plans are more often assigned IPs that are geolocated correctly than their lower-priced plans. (But who knows.)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2017

angstrom said: they will grab an IP from another location

That's not how it (BGP and routing) works. They have a set of ranges semi-permanently assigned to a location, for Japan some of those are APAC region IPs, some had to be reused from somewhere else. Any changes to this may happen in chunks of a /24 at least, and in a matter of ~hours. It's not like they can reroute a single IP from New York instantly when you want to create a VPS.

@rm_ said:

angstrom said: they will grab an IP from another location

That's not how it (BGP and routing) works. They have a set of ranges semi-permanently assigned to a location, for Japan some of those are APAC region IPs, some had to be reused from somewhere else. Any changes to this may happen in chunks of a /24 at least, and in a matter of ~hours. It's not like they can reroute a single IP from New York instantly when you want to create a VPS.

Thanks for this clarification. (I've never been on the other side of IPs.)

So I guess that what @bohdans was experiencing was IPs reused from New York (in advance, not instantly).

• J1021J1021 Member

Caption contest anybody?

• bapbap Member

@kcaj said:
    Caption contest anybody?

meh... a real temptation..