Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon S3 down? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Amazon S3 down?

Comments

• wwabbit said: It's alternate working.

It's working, it's just not connected to the internet. Reminds me of windows NT - it was secure, as long as it was not connected to any network.

Thanked by 2serverian Maounique
  • MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited February 2017

@AlyssaD said:
    Can we mount s3 storage on VPS these days like actual storage?

It's called s3fs, but I usually prefer to call it a big mistake

Thanked by 2Junkless JahAGR
  • AlyssaD said: Can we mount s3 storage on VPS these days like actual storage?

You can, but by design this is not a good idea. This is why AWS launched EFS, which is essentially redundant NFS.

• Why is anybody surprised? This happens all the time. OVH server I have is coming up on 2 years, only had that fiber cut interruption....

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2017

That sucks. We need a shared beer fund for providers during big outages. Outage > 2h, we buy you beer. At least one thing to look forward to on a shitty day.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @William said:

AlyssaD said: Can we mount s3 storage on VPS these days like actual storage?

You can, but by design this is not a good idea. This is why AWS launched EFS, which is essentially redundant NFS.

I mainly wanted it for backup storage, would the EFS be better for that?

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited February 2017

@AlyssaD said:

@William said:

No, EFS costs about 4 times more and you can only mount it from AWS. You do not require filesystem access via fuse if you want to store your backups there (s3).

Create an archive of your data and upload it using CLI (i.e aws s3 cp mybackup.tar.gz s3://mybackups/28022017/)
    You can configure S3 to automatically transition the files to even cheaper storage types i.e infrequent storage or Glacier or delete the object.

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/UG/lifecycle-configuration-bucket-no-versioning.html

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Francisco

Thanked by 2William Pwner
  • @Makenai said:

@AlyssaD said:

@William said:

No, EFS costs about 4 times more and you can only mount it from AWS. You do not require filesystem access via fuse if you want to store your backups there (s3).

Create an archive of your data and upload it using CLI (i.e aws s3 cp mybackup.tar.gz s3://mybackups/28022017/)
    You can configure S3 to automatically transition the files to even cheaper storage types i.e infrequent storage or Glacier or delete the object.

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/UG/lifecycle-configuration-bucket-no-versioning.html

Yes, that is what I did before. I was hoping to go to a fuse setup for putting backups that are too large for me to compress and just need to be copied up.

• Makenai said: No, EFS costs about 4 times more and you can only mount it from AWS

I mean, you CAN mount it external by a loadbalancer - you however loose the AZ redundancy that way unless you do it complicated based on EC2 instances and at that point running your own NFS stack on EBS might make more sense...

Point EBS - no issues, they had something similar (but not as long) some months ago but much more limited. Seems S3, EBS and EFS are by now 100% separated services except for backups, which again end up in S3 (means also that RDS backup jobs by now are likely broken/resheduled).

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited February 2017

@William said:

Makenai said: No, EFS costs about 4 times more and you can only mount it from AWS

I mean, you CAN mount it external by a loadbalancer - you however loose the AZ redundancy that way unless you do it complicated based on EC2 instances and at that point running your own NFS stack on EBS might make more sense...

Point EBS - no issues, they had something similar (but not as long) some months ago but much more limited. Seems S3, EBS and EFS are by now 100% separated services except for backups, which again end up in S3 (means also that RDS backup jobs by now are likely broken/resheduled).

You mean putting a CLB in front of it? I've looked into VPN and VPC-peering, the EFS does not work over them, but putting an CLB in front of it never crossed my mind.

P.S EFS does not have backups without having to do huge shenanigans with data pipeline.

• Flippa and Fiverr among affected

• By now it's becoming ridunkulous - ELB affected, Cloudformation affected, EB, Autoscaling groups... funny.

• @raxv2 said:
    Flippa and Fiverr among affected

Quota, Freelancer as well

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

You know who isn't down?

LowEndTalk.

Amazon, if you need some help figuring out how to host stuff, just open a thread in the Help section. But don't ask for the provider tag.

• raindog308 said: LowEndTalk.

It gets brain fart cluster split at times though, and annoying CF "NO BRO YOU CAN'T POST DAT HERE" windows ;)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
  • Doesn't it says resolved here? https://status.aws.amazon.com/ I'm still not able to use the SES.

• @serverian said:
    Doesn't it says resolved here? https://status.aws.amazon.com/ I'm still not able to use the SES.

The status page indicates that only some services are back to operating properly. Other services such as SES are still encountering some problems.

• I still remember when Google had hiccups.
    Did Azure ever fail like this before?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

William said: It gets brain fart cluster split at times though, and annoying CF "NO BRO YOU CAN'T POST DAT HERE" windows ;)

We are not down, we're just experiencing an increased error rate.

Thanked by 1serverian
  • @serverian said:
    Doesn't it says resolved here? https://status.aws.amazon.com/ I'm still not able to use the SES.

S3's resolved but SES isn't:

• I wonder where are those real "I'M LOOSING MILLIONS EVERY MINUTE" people.

• @serverian said:
    I wonder where are those real "I'M LOOSING MILLIONS EVERY MINUTE" people.

Maybe they already lost their millions and don't have any more to lose?

Thanked by 2vimalware doghouch
  • @PepeSilvia said:
    Well, that's just the kick I needed to move to Backblaze. It's cheaper too.

Yeah! Come to Backblaze!

• sanvit said: Yeah! Come to Backblaze!

Did Backblaze ever get its xfer speed above pathetic? It was originally a backup system but at least at first, was nowhere near fast enough to be a general purpose object store.

• @willie said:

sanvit said: Yeah! Come to Backblaze!

Did Backblaze ever get its xfer speed above pathetic? It was originally a backup system but at least at first, was nowhere near fast enough to be a general purpose object store.

Getting around 400KB/s download speed. Not bad for it's price =)

• sanvit said:

Getting around 400KB/s download speed. Not bad for it's price =)

You mean the BB block storage thing? Its pricing wasn't that great, compared to a run of the mill LEB storage plan. That was hard to understand.