Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official Q/A - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Official Q/A

Comments

• edited May 2013
    When will basic functions return? Like quoting people, posting images, signatures, etc.

Why did you pay $550/mo for Vanilla hosting? (http://vanillaforums.com/plans) (I assume the $550 one would be the one required for LET's traffic)

Which would you rather fight, 100 duck sized horses or one horse sized duck? (If I can get both Alex and Jon to answer that, that'd help clear things up)

Did you ban your friend C.Fabozzi because he deserved it, or just because people demanded it and you know he has a second account so it doesn't really matter anyhow?

Why is RobertClarke banned?

How long has LET been back up? I was unable to connect via my home IP or recent VPN IP. Could connect via TOR and HideMyAss, but no other way. Spun up a new VPN, boom, here I am.

Prefer a well-crafted pizza, or a well-crafted burger?
  • >Why did you pay $550/mo for Vanilla hosting?

add 5 more ad spots. problem solved.
  • marcmmarcm Member
    Very subtle of you guys DDoSing me and blocking me and others by IP address from LET and LEB. Very mature of you. Grow up!
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    @marcm I really doubt they would do that
  • laaevlaaev Member
    @marcm, when I visit LET on my phone I get a forbidden error, I assume it's still propagated to the old servers. On my desktop I'm able to load LET fine in incognito mode, its likely just a propagation problem as LET switched to VanillaForums hosted solution.

:-)
  • @marcm, do you have proof of them DDoSing you?
  • twaintwain Member
    I am in thru lowendtalk.vanillaforums.com
  • wdqwdq Member
    It's not a verified certificate, but https://lowendtalk.com is a thing now.
  • marcmmarcm Member
    @CVPS_Kevin - Because I am also a developer I don't have DNS caching enabled on my workstation, and it's also disabled in all of my browsers. As soon as I posted this the IP ban was removed. I mean common guys, I have never once posted anything negative about ColoCrossing or CVPS. It's a bit of lame reaction in my opinion.

The DDoS attacks were done by Todd Switzer aka “DomainBop” at someone's request or by his own initiative. He then went and posted on LowEndBox saying that I was on his Black List because I've set up lowendtalk.in, a site for the community were I invited others to join and help me run it.

We have very good DDoS mitigation so all we had during the attacks was some minor packet loss:

Target IP(s): [removed]
    Attack Start: 2013-05-18
    Attack Size: 2.18 Gbps
    Attack Type: IP_Fragment_Misuse

Target IP(s): [removed]
    Attack Start: 2013-05-18
    Attack Size: 2.35 Gbps
    Attack Type: IP_Fragment_Misuse

If you guys really want to do this then I'll document everything and publicly post it on our website to be there for all times. You should call off your attack dogs before they go too far and land you in any kind of trouble with the law. VPSBoard.com is also constantly being attacked, there is packet loss during their DDoS mitigation as well. FYI DDoS attacks are against the law in the United States. Google it if you want to convince yourselves.
  • laaevlaaev Member
    edited May 2013
    @marcm I don't believe a word you just said and you still don't understand that LET switched from being hosted on CloudFlare DNS/CC servers over to VanillaForums hosted solution by Rackspace. For at least half dozen people I've talked to on Skype today, they are still unable to load LET because their ISP is still propagated to the old server.

I hope you have proof before accusing anyone, whether its DomainBop or someone else that one may be behind a DDoS attack. It's equally as unethical and against the law to be claiming something of this nature with no evidence.
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    Another factor is your computer is not the only thing that caches dns records, many ISP DNS servers cache the records for a period of time as well.
  • LeeLee Veteran
    Seems everyone is getting hit by DDoS at the moment, well around the LET circles. Given everything that has happened recently it could be anyone.
  • marcmmarcm Member
    @CVPS_Kevin

1) LET's IP address is 66.216.109.251 - hosted now on RackSpace. Until I posted that I was banned I couldn't access the site. That's not a propagation issue as the DNS was correctly pointing to the LET IP address. So it's not a DNS cache issue, I was clearly banned.

2) Todd aka "DomainBop" has slandered me without any reason countless times. After the DDoS attacks started last night he said on LowEndBox that I'm on his black list and that he's taking the site down. Those comments got later removed by the moderator.

3) I haven't done anything to you guys. I was just politely asking to be left alone. Instead of burning all your bridges, maybe you should mend some of them. It's always better to have more friends you know...
  • marcmmarcm Member
    @Fliphost I use OpenDNS and GoogleDNS and I can switch between them pretty easily because I have more than one computer here. Try them for faster DNS updates.
  • laaevlaaev Member
    edited May 2013
    1. Proof?
    2. I doubt DomainBop would do this, but what do I know? Got any proof? Also, just because someone has "slandered" you doesn't mean they may be behind an attack.

I feel its important to note that while slander refers to a form of defamation, slander is only to be used when one's defamation is spoken. Were his defamatory claims spoken or written on a forum board?

3. Please don't get the wrong impression. I just don't want anyone being blamed or framed for something they did not do. Let's keep this civil. Especially when you're going to claim something of this nature, I hope you're prepared to supply some concrete evidence.
  • marcmmarcm Member
    @CVPS_Kevin - I don't really want to waste any more time on you but DomainBop made the threats here: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/lowendtalk-update/ however @Liam removed his comments later. The way you talk about him, all warm and cuddly, leads me to the conclusion that you know him pretty well, which could easily lead me to the conclusion that, for all I know, one of you guys put him up to it. Given the shenanigans that I have seen you guys pull in the past this wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. So yes, he made public threats against me as recently as last night on LowEndBox, and @Liam removed them. Do a search on LowEndTalk if you want to see what else he posted about me in the past without me giving him any reason to do so (or you probably may already know). Considering that every time he showed up out of the blue and posted something slanderous and completely ridiculous about me, what else could I possibly conclude?

I am trying to keep it civil, and no, I was not the one who started all of this. Do I really need to start printing out everything, putting it on paper, gather all the evidence and go the legal route, or can we be civilized people and leave things as they are? Because I turned around yesterday and moved on and all of a sudden I got DDoSed and 5 minutes later I got threats from this guy. I mean who is not leaving alone who and who is it not keeping it civilized?
  • To the people who are having issues with loading LET, if you're using www.lowendtalk.com use lowendtalk.com without the www. It appears someone forgot to add a CNAME or A Record for www.
  • laaevlaaev Member
    edited May 2013
    @marcm Like Lee says, with everything that is going on with LET lately, it could be anyone. There you go with your assumptions again, because I haven't talked to DomainBop once. As far as I remember, he hasn't always talked too fondly about CVPS either, so please don't bring the company I work for into this as its completely irrelevant.

For the record, I've been in the LET community much longer than you have, I would like to think considering how passionate I am about this community and how long I've been here, I know the majority of the members fairly well.

Please carry on with your assumptions. I will quote my previous post again: "Proof?"
  • marcmmarcm Member
    @CVPS_Kevin - proof for what exactly?
  • KrisKris Member
    edited May 2013
    <pre>
    ; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.17.rc1.el6_4.4 <<>> www.lowendtalk.com A
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;www.lowendtalk.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    www.lowendtalk.com. 86400 IN CNAME 66.216.109.251.
    </pre>

"An IP does not a CNAME make."
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    <i>After the DDoS attacks started last night he said on LowEndBox that I'm on his black list and that he's taking the site down.</i>
    --
    Are you sure that he said that? That he's taking the site down. Because I think that you made up this part. If I remember correct he stated (as people usually do when they don't want to deal, don't agree or be customer of some host) for more than one host that it's in his black list. Atleast I understood it that way.
    And regarding DomainBop - to me he seems very strong opinioned mature person who usually know what he's talking about and always back up his claims with proofs. Like him or not, agree with him or not... but do you really, really believe that this oldie put his effort into runining your site. I honestly doubt - he's smart enough to tell you what he think about you (or anyone) and bit you with argument instead waste his time with malicious acts over internet.
    And now I am really wondering... did he really said that he's taking your site down or that's not true - because I saw his writings but can't remember this part.
  • marcmmarcm Member
    @CVPS_Kevin - The comment edit controls are missing, so I will add the following:

I have never spoken in any way about you or the company that you work for. I realized pretty early on who is behind the forum but it didn't bother me, and it doesn't bother me now either. However considering what I have read just on LET alone, I can at least draw one conclusion on which you will most likely agree with me: Chicago VPS public relations could use some improvement. As far as Chicago VPS being close to Colo Crossing, this is also information found on the forums. It doesn't bother me either. I have considered expanding my business and leasing nodes from ColoCrossing, the pricing alone is very attractive, but the problem is that I don't want to be part of any drama. I would have liked to contribute more to this community and help out. I have enough expertise and know how when it comes to security, so I could have helped. But I've always been pushed away. I wont force my way somewhere where I am not wanted. I'm not going to make any statements anymore about what I believe or know, but one thing I have to say: during the last few months the forum went downhill. During the time of Chief's reign here he pretty much favored some providers while he threw others under the bus, usually providers hosting with other data centers. I have always been quiet and minded my own business, but keep this in mind: you guys own a domain name, a database and a forum, not the community.
  • kbeeziekbeezie Member
    @Kris either someone was in a hurry, or just not really competent in their craft.
  • marcmmarcm Member
    @Spirit - I saw your comment on LowEndBox as well. Ask @Liam, he moderated his comments after a while.
  • marcmmarcm Member
    @Kris - whoever is the sysadmin/webmaster is pretty incompetent, lol
  • DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited May 2013
    >Marc said "After the DDoS attacks started last night he said on LowEndBox that I'm on his black list and that he's taking the site down."

>Marc said " I don't really want to waste any more time on you but DomainBop made the threats here:"

This is yet another false statement by you Marc, No threats were made or removed. I said I added you to my provider blacklist (i.e. "provider blacklist" = "providers I won't do business with"). I never said that I was taking your lowendtalk.in site down. I also posted that you had setup a Vanilla form (which you have since removed) at lowendtalk.in that looked exactly like LET andI referred to your site as a "copycat site". The post that Liam removed didn't contain any threats at all - it contained the WHOIS record of the domain lowendtalk.in and it was removed by Liam because the WHOIS record contained personal information. The fact that no threats were made is also documented by screenshots taken by people.

>The DDoS attacks were done by Todd Switzer aka “DomainBop” at someone's request or by his own initiative.

The DDoS attacks were not done by me Marc. Posting statements that falsely accuse a person (or a company) of engaging in a criminal act is not a very bright thing for you to do You might want to consult your attorney so he can explain to you why it is not advisable to make the sort of false accusations you have been making. This will be my final public statement on this matter Marc and you really should take my advice and consult your attorney immediately before making any more false accusations against people or companies. .
  • laaevlaaev Member
    @marcm We certainly do not own this website like you are suggesting so I'm afraid you are incorrect once again :) It's news to me finding out CC owns this place, but consider yourself lucky. From the rumors I'm hearing on LEB and some people on Skype, it wasn't long once Joel gained ownership of LEB/LET before he started accepting private bidders for the sites. It could be even worse if Joel sold it to the other potential buyers.

Personally, I find the way Alex has been dealing with this entire ordeal to be very professional and has been upfront about everything despite the s*** he's getting from some haters. When you start considering the position CC is in and how hard the team is working to get everything back on its feet, they certainly gained my respect.
  • kbeeziekbeezie Member
    >This is yet another false statement by you, No threats were made or removed. I said I added you to my provider blacklist (i.e. "providerblacklist" = "providers I won't do business with").

Why even bother with such a comment?
  • marcmmarcm Member
    @CVPS_Kevin - Honestly this all is too much dirt and at this point no one will gain anything from it anymore. Considering how LET went down my opinion is that it was an inside job (and I don't mean that anyone working at CC). There had to be a back door left open by the previous owner. It's just speculation, and it doesn't matter anyway.

But I would like to make some suggestions for the guys at ColoCrossing:
    - Shut down the site for a day and set it to error 503 while placing a message on it.
    - Buy a XenForo license and import the Vanilla Database into it. Use Nginx + a reverse proxy + CloudFlare.
    - Put the site back up. Call it a day and quit struggling. It's about that simple.

@CVPS_Kevin - Seriously now, it's not worth arguing about anything. I have lost my appetite for LET at this point. I used to enjoy it allot for a while, and I was getting along fine with almost everyone. Then this had to happen. It's just too much BS for my taste. I'd prefer to do something constructive and useful, wouldn't you agree?

@DomainBop - Oh if the legal would bend to everyone's will... but it doesn't. You're innocent until proven guilty. You have posted out of line comments about me more than once, and I hope that @Liam still has then comments from last night somewhere. Keep your distance from me, I'll keep my distance from you, we don't talk to each other or about each other and we can all get along. Remember that I didn't cast the first stone, you did, a long time ago I might add. I proposed peace, so it's up to you to accept and make peace as well or continue with the mud slinging.
  • marcmmarcm Member
    By the way, doing non-www to www redirection shouldn't be that hard...