Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net special restocked - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net special restocked

Comments

• Pandy said:

looks like 2 - Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB, with ~16000 hours on both, not terrible?

Not terrible. Check the SMART stats, if nothing wrong you're fine for a while.

varunchopra said:

How do i even get GSM verified? Not getting any texts. What's the format?

Worked for me, they send you a text with a confirmation code (6 digit number if I remember right). Try E.123 format for the phone number, maybe.

Cdoe said:

I'm more like a technical guy, explain it to me with numbers not with bad metaphores.

Sorry, technical guys use metaphores (sic) too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

eduf said: Hitachi Deskstar HDT721010SLA360

Disk 1: 40k hours

Disk 2: 50k hours

fine, refund or ask for replace?

Those are solid drives but that's a lot of hours. Check SMART stats, set up raid-1, and be ready to rebuild if something happens, I'd say. They're not likely to replace unless there's actual SMART errors.

• @WSCallum said:

Okay, thanks. I've got same disk, but with 1500 hours. I wonder why they throw so new servers into special deals along with 5yr+ old hardware.

If they used brand new drives in all of these discount deals they wouldn't cover their costs realistically for a few years - Used hardware is to be expected in my opinion. Kimsufi/SYS etc are the same.

Actually I was wondering the other way, what's the point of throwing new hardware into special deals :-P

• @Cdoe said:

@WSCallum said:

Okay, thanks. I've got same disk, but with 1500 hours. I wonder why they throw so new servers into special deals along with 5yr+ old hardware.

If they used brand new drives in all of these discount deals they wouldn't cover their costs realistically for a few years - Used hardware is to be expected in my opinion. Kimsufi/SYS etc are the same.

Actually I was wondering the other way, what's the point of throwing new hardware into special deals :-P

Who knows, probably loads going spare perhaps? That does seem weird

• Cdoe said: what's the point of throwing new hardware into special deals :-P

an HDD die, they change it (for the customer that leases the server before you); the server is still an older generation and can end up in a sale.

• @Cdoe said:

@eduf said:

@Cdoe said:

@mtsbatalha said:
    E31231v3 / 32GB RAM / 2x2TB HDD @ 20EUR/month

Awesome deal!!!

Congrats, could you post your HDD details here? Model/power on hours/general smart status. Thanks in advance.

Device Model: TOSHIBA MG03ACA200
    9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 071 071 000 Old_age Always - 11797

My result is:

Model Family: Seagate Constellation ES.3

9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 088 088 --- Old_age Always - 10843

• datanoise said: an HDD die, they change it (for the customer that leases the server before you); the server is still an older generation and can end up in a sale.

Yes I think that's what happened with my Hetzner i7. It had one almost new drive and one old and almost-failing one. So I think the earlier customer had an actual disk failure, migrated to a new server, they replaced the failed disk and sold it to me with the replacement disk and the remaining very old disk. The very old disk was getting worse according to SMART, so I got them to replace it, giving me 2 almost new drives which have been working good for around 1.5 years now.

My 2 Online drives are Constellation with around 20k hours iirc.

• Seems like the average HDD age is 10-20k in this sale mine are both at about 16k.

• @windytime90 said:
    Oh shit, too late this party :D

Meh. Didn't miss much.

• arkosoarkoso Member
    edited February 2017

DrFallen said: Seems like the average HDD age is 10-20k in this sale mine are both at about 16k.

in few servers i got HDD's with 55-60k hours.... deckstar

• Anyone with a 2x2TB LT DEALS 1701.1 should hope their drives don't fail. I didn't have any issues getting a replacement for the drive with 668 reallocated sectors (it had failed the long SMART test), but it was replace with a 1TB disk.

• @Detruire said:
    Anyone with a 2x2TB LT DEALS 1701.1 should hope their drives don't fail. I didn't have any issues getting a replacement for the drive with 668 reallocated sectors (it had failed the long SMART test), but it was replace with a 1TB disk.

That isn't what you paid for? Are you following up?

• Did you pay for a 1TB? If not, I'd complain.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • DrFallen said: That isn't what you paid for? Are you following up?

WSS said: Did you pay for a 1TB? If not, I'd complain.

It's described as 2x1TB, but was delivered with 2x2TB (as happened to several others on here.) I have pointed it out in the ticket, as 1x1TB + 1x2TB isn't ideal.

• @Detruire said:

DrFallen said: That isn't what you paid for? Are you following up?

It's described as 2x1TB, but was delivered with 2x2TB (as happened to several others on here.) I have pointed it out in the ticket, as 1x1TB + 1x2TB isn't ideal.

That makes more sense they read your spec sheet I suspect. Still it should of been a 2TB if that's what it originally came with. Sneakily trying to backtrack on some of these excess drives.

• mtsbatalhamtsbatalha Member
    edited February 2017

@Detruire said:

DrFallen said: That isn't what you paid for? Are you following up?

so maybe they should be replace the cpu too, as the cpu delivered is better than announced.

• Detruire said: but it was replace with a 1TB disk.

Good to know, thanks.

You still can setup a software RAID 1 of 1TB and you'll have a second TB with no RAID.

Could be worse (= no 2TB HDD at all).

Just curious, how old was the 1TB HDD they gave you?

• The last reply was about an hour ago saying that the ticket had been escalated.

@datanoise said:
    Just curious, how old was the 1TB HDD they gave you?

Roughly the same age. 10000 hours iirc.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • Detruire said: The last reply was about an hour ago saying that the ticket had been escalated.

Nice, keep us updated :)

Good luck mate!

• Detruire said: The last reply was about an hour ago saying that the ticket had been escalated.

You really want them to swap out the remaining 2tb drive for a 1tb?

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • @datanoise said:

Detruire said: The last reply was about an hour ago saying that the ticket had been escalated.

Nice, keep us updated :)

Good luck mate!

I'm interested too.

• DetruireDetruire Member
    edited February 2017

@willie said:

Detruire said: The last reply was about an hour ago saying that the ticket had been escalated.

You really want them to swap out the remaining 2tb drive for a 1tb?

Obviously not.

• Then you might have heard the saying "let sleeping dogs lie". :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @willie said:
    Then you might have heard the saying "let sleeping dogs lie". :)

How they deal with it well be a valuable lesson in how good their customer service is.

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

nm

• @Detruire said:
    Anyone with a 2x2TB LT DEALS 1701.1 should hope their drives don't fail. I didn't have any issues getting a replacement for the drive with 668 reallocated sectors (it had failed the long SMART test), but it was replace with a 1TB disk.

Their answer for my question about this is:

"Hello,

What do you mean ?
    Your server has 2x2TB hard drives, there is no way to replace them by 1 TB drives.

Best regards,

Mehdi M.
    Technical Assistance Online.net"

• @mtsbatalha said:

@Detruire said:

"Hello,

What do you mean ?
    Your server has 2x2TB hard drives, there is no way to replace them by 1 TB drives.

Best regards,

Mehdi M.

What was the question? Hopefully they didn't think you wanted to change your drives to 1TB ones. It's a very online way of understanding things.

edited February 2017

@DrFallen said:

@mtsbatalha said:

@Detruire said:

"Hello,

What do you mean ?

Best regards,

Mehdi M.

What was the question? Hopefully they didn't think you wanted to change your drives to 1TB ones. It's a very online way of understanding things.

Anyway I understand that the server is delivered with 2x2TB HDD, so in case of failure of one Drive Online.net should replace with 2TB drive and not with 1TB. I believe that a company can't downgrade a server without the consentment of their customers.

Thanked by 1Cdoe
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2017

mtsbatalha said: in case of failure of one Drive Online.net should replace with 2TB drive and not with 1TB.

LOL.

mtsbatalha said: a company can't downgrade a server

They must provide the server to you as advertised on the website and according to the specs you saw and agreed to when you paid. Nothing else.

edited February 2017

Another answer from they:

"Hello,

Yes I confirm, there was an error if it is, carefull on the forum because all person don't understand the raid :-(

But I confirm we will replace by the same 2Tb.

There is not guaranteed bandwidth on speciel offers and we allow until 200mbps on this offer.

Regards

Vincent R."

Thanked by 2datanoise vimalware
  • @mtsbatalha said:
    Another answer from they:

"Hello,

Yes I confirm, there was an error if it is, carefull on the forum because all person don't understand the raid :-(

But I confirm we will replace by the same 2Tb.

There is not guaranteed bandwidth on speciel offers and we allow until 200mbps on this offer.

Regards

Vincent R."

To be honest, support's english is way better, so I say fake as f00ck