Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple server monitoring - Feedback appreciated (Public beta)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Simple server monitoring - Feedback appreciated (Public beta)

Howdy folks! I’ve been following LEB for quite a few years now, LET since its beginnings in 2010 and finally signed up to show you a small side project of mine. Some of you may have seen it already on another board but today I would like to invite LET users to give it a try. Thanks to @mpkossen for letting me open a topic right from the start.

Last year I created a simple bash script to monitor my servers and in December decided to build a little web service around it. It monitors basic system and network usage (process monitoring is planned) of your server and sends those data back to us where we display them. The script is open source and available on Github so you know exactly what is being transferred. The service is completely free for now during public beta which I expect to run for at least a couple more months.

Some of you probably have their own monitoring setups using Nagios or Cacti. I however consider my target audience to be developers and users who have a few smaller servers and just want to keep track of them (i.e. Email alerts, network availability). If you know anyone who might be interested in a service like this, I would really appreciate it if you could spread the word.

I am currently not too happy with the interface design and will work more on that over the next few weeks. Just follow us on Twitter if you want to stay updated about the service.

Site: https://nodequery.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/nodequery

Github: https://github.com/nodequery/nq-agent

Thank you for reading, looking forward to your feedback.

Comments

• Pretty nice :) hope you will let the beta accounts free when is no longer Beta:)

• Looks nice. Also, good website.

• "The Web page at https://nodequery.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address"

:(

Using default Android browser over home internet.

• Looks nice, but I don't like to be dependant on web services personally. I would have a closer look if you would plan to offer a self-hosted version (paid of course).

• Looks great, going to give it a try :-)

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Really like it. Nice slick design, and is working fine for my 2 servers.

• Looks good, put 7 of my servers on and it all seems okay. :) Awaiting data on a few of them, but will give it another few minutes.

Do you know the price-range it will be once you fully release?

• Two Questions:
    1. How much resources does it need?
    2. How can I uninstalled it?

• halczyhalczy Member
    edited February 2014

LOVE the UI! Amazing! Setting up on my CentOS 6 server and i get this.

+ 2014-02-13 09:36:31 URL:https://raw.github.com/nodequery/nq-agent/master/nq-agent.sh [6673/6673] -> "/etc/nodequery/nq-agent.sh" [1]
    nq-install.sh: line 70: crontab: command not found

Is this normal?

• Just added some servers, works well.

• BradBrad Member
    edited February 2014

@Fritz said:

rm -R /etc/nodequery && (crontab -u nodequery -l | grep -v "/etc/nodequery/nq-agent.sh") | crontab -u nodequery - && userdel nodequery
  • NoermanNoerman Member
    edited February 2014

@Joe_NQ How long actually to get the first data?

Server has been queued → system is awaiting initial data

Update: I guess after 180 seconds.

• This is pretty nice actually. Good work in my opinion.

Will there be a feature of public reports as well?

• @iKeyZ said:
    Looks good, put 7 of my servers on and it all seems okay. :) Awaiting data on a few of them, but will give it another few minutes.

Do you know the price-range it will be once you fully release?

Not yet, but considering the rather basic metrics it won't be as expensive as many of the enterprise services.

@Fritz said:
    Two Questions:
    1. How much resources does it need?

The uninstall command is always displayed when you remove a server from the interface. Resource usage should be quite low, it's basically just reading /proc values.

@halczy said:
    LOVE the UI! Amazing! Setting up on my CentOS 6 server and i get this.

+ 2014-02-13 09:36:31 URL:https://raw.github.com/nodequery/nq-agent/master/nq-agent.sh [6673/6673] -> "/etc/nodequery/nq-agent.sh" [1]
    nq-install.sh: line 70: crontab: command not found

Is this normal?

It seems you don't have crontab installed which is required for the script to send the data to the web app. It should normally be included with CentOS.

@TH_George said:
    This is pretty nice actually. Good work in my opinion.

Will there be a feature of public reports as well?

I am considering implementing an API which would make that possible.

Thank you everyone for the feedback so far :)

• I just installed in one of my xen pv and it doesn't work? It works great on my openvz though.

• Do you know what resources this script consumes from the server that is hosted?

• @Joe_NQ Your password reset entered the spam box at gmail, so probably you may want to look into that :)

• Love the user interface and simplicity of the setup.

It would be nice to be able to monitor IPv6 traffic as well as IPv4 if that's possible? (e.g. monitor a different network interface if using a tunnel)

• @Projectpop said:
    I just installed in one of my xen pv and it doesn't work? It works great on my openvz though.

I have it installed on Xen PV running Ubuntu and it is working fine. Which distro are you using? Any hints in the syslog? Some distributions like Arch Linux don't have Cron enabled by default.

@wcypierre said:
    Joe_NQ Your password reset entered the spam box at gmail, so probably you may want to look into that :)

Thank you, I will look into that. Emails are signed with DKIM and have valid SPF records but Gmail still sometimes considers it spam.

@TH_George said:
    Do you know what resources this script consumes from the server that is hosted?

I don't know exactly how much but I can assure you resource usage is rather low. If you notice anything that affects your system you can just uninstall it and send me an email with a few details.

@Benjy said:
    Love the user interface and simplicity of the setup.

It would be nice to be able to monitor IPv6 traffic as well as IPv4 if that's possible? (e.g. monitor a different network interface if using a tunnel)

I will look for possibilities but it won't be a priority. Right now the scripts uses the first active NIC that handles internet connections.

Thank you all again for the feedback - really appreciated.

• Have some issues on CentOS 5.1

| NodeQuery Installer | =================== | no crontab for nodequery | Downloading nq-agent.sh to /etc/nodequery | | + 2014-02-13 20:53:22 URL:https://raw.github.com/nodequery/nq-agent/master/nq-agent.sh [6673/6673] -> "/etc/nodequery/nq-agent.sh" [1] useradd: invalid option -- U Usage: useradd [options] LOGIN

and then at the end

chown: nodequery:nodequery: invalid user crontab: user nodequery unknown | | Success: The NodeQuery agent has been installed

Added nodequery user manually but still the same.
    It seems I dont have crontab installed but at the same time I have the following packages

Package 4:vixie-cron-4.1-81.el5.i386 already installed and latest version Package crontabs-1.10-11.el5.noarch already installed and latest version

• Works great here on my Xen VPS, thanks Joe. Site design is amazing.

• that awesome

• LorneLorne Member
    edited February 2014

Looks pretty sweet, love the site layout. Signing up now :) Your activation e-mail goes to spam in Gmail.

• Pretty. Good job on it, @Joe_NQ.

I do like its simple and clean design. Would pay after beta except that I can't add a Mac server and that is my main server :)

• just installed it , this is awesome , i hope we can keep our beta accounts free :$

• @ahmiq said:
    just installed it , this is awesome , i hope we can keep our beta accounts free :$

@Joe_NQ

• @Joe_NQ this is great hopefully there are some free features when you release it. Maybe you could make premium features something like more frequent quarrying.

• I didn't know what to expect... I looked at it, and this is the only way I can explain how I felt...

Beautiful design, amazingly simple and all around great. Great work! :)

• @quddus Added nodequery user manually but still the same. It seems I dont have crontab installed but at the same time I have the following packages

I am sorry, I only tested newer versions of CentOS. I will add a help section to the site soon including a manual installation guide. If you added the user nodequery, all files are in place and the permissions are correct, you could just add the cron entry manually.

@Lorne said:
    Looks pretty sweet, love the site layout. Signing up now :) Your activation e-mail goes to spam in Gmail.

I am aware of that issue. It seems to happen randomly as many other Gmail users receive the emails just fine. I will look into it.

@tortau said:
    Pretty. Good job on it, Joe_NQ.

I do like its simple and clean design. Would pay after beta except that I can't add a Mac server and that is my main server :)

I am a Mac user myself, unfortunately some of the required components don't ship with OS X. For now only major Linux distributions are supported.

@ahmiq said:
    just installed it , this is awesome , i hope we can keep our beta accounts free :$

Beta accounts will definitely have some advantages as soon as a pricing model is introduced. Though it is still far from happening. Free accounts with limited functionality are planned as well.

@skybucks100 Awesome :)

Thanks again guys, I am really glad most of you seem to like it.

• Wow, everything just simple! I love this very much.