Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prometeus Cloud (iwStack) Pricing Announced - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Prometeus Cloud (iwStack) Pricing Announced

Comments

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

No facebook? I can not share
    No twitter? I can not follow news

I and Daniela aren't "social", we use cludgets to welcome people :-)
    Seriously at present we don't, but maybe in future we may have someone doing the social stuff for us .

No demo? 30EUR to try out?

This is to keep abuse level low, we have and had services priced even more than 30Eur that we sold without any free trial. If the service won't work for you and you ask we will refund the unused credit less 1€ for processing fee.

No AD in whole internet?

>

I'm sorry but all the budget was used the equipment, everything was / is paid on cash and this service start without 1€ of debt.
    Any seriuos AD campaign require decent budget and at present we don't have it :-(

You want to go with that on DO?

No, we are offering OUR service, it will have pro and cons and people will choose or ignore it. AFAIK the market is still big enough to allow small fishes like us to play :-)

Guys, are you serious?

Yes

You should create a video that will teach people that you have more functions and power than
    "any other hosting provider" and you price are lower.

No, I don't like video.

Integrate calculator on site, so everyone can count their price/mo before creating account.

yes, this was already suggested in this same thread and we'll do it as soon as possible... Thank for the suggestion btw.

p.s [email protected] <- this mail address does not work

it should now, the virtual table wasn't updated...

• Yep. I'll move to iwstack too

• @prometeus: Will customers with services on iperweb.com (I have an Overzold vps) be getting a discount email, or is it and the service only available to those with accounts on prometeus.net?

@MichaelMistaken said:
    prometeus: Will customers with services on iperweb.com (I have an Overzold vps) be getting a discount email, or is it and the service only available to those with accounts on prometeus.net?

They will today, I'm going to send the email in the evening :-)

Thanked by 1MichaelMistaken
  • PatrickPatrick Member
    edited August 2013

@AleksZ's suggestions are worthless except the calculator which you've acknowledged already, he appears to be influenced by the media and free credit then the backbone technology and the definition of a true cloud infrastructure.

DO is not real cloud or anywhere close to it, though their marketing has done them wonders. They are big because they offer $5 credit for deleting your box, no account verification to launch up many boxes with $20 credit.

iwStack has some of the core essentials which makes some what 'true' or 'real' cloud, HA/Failover being one of the major ones.

Looks amazing @prometeus :)

Thanked by 1prometeus
  • DO doesn't have failover, they just fail over and over again ;-)

Thanked by 1nocom
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I wish I could test it but unfortunately I do not have those 30Eur, I wish you the best luck, you're an excellent guy!

• @MrGeneral said:
    I wish I could test it but unfortunately I do not have those 30Eur, I wish you the best luck, you're an excellent guy!

There is 15 euro one right?

• @AleksZ said:
    No facebook? I can not share

Copy link location, navigate to Facebook, insert link.

I have tested and used both DO droplets and iwStack instances. There are things lacking in DO (such as private networks and separately bought resources). DO is good due it its good API, low prices and quick droplets creation. iwStack has its own advantages.

You have only 1 chance to beat them.

These two services have different advantages/features sets. They can't replace each other.

If performance of your servers/droplets/vps is the same as at DO then:

Performance of same-memory iwStack instances is slightly higher, but not that higher to make much difference.

You should create a video that will teach people that you have more functions and power than
    "any other hosting provider" and you price are lower.

No. no, no. Videos are for monkeys (sorry if that harmed someone's self-esteem). Good old text is good enough

JMNSHO.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jcaleb said:
    There is 15 euro one right?

Not for everyone, one thing we fear the most is abuse. I am sorry, but we need to keep these IPs as clean as possible since we have little control on how are they distributed jumping from instance to instance.
    In order to limit abuse and reward our customers we will take a different approach from the majority. You are an old customer in good standing with a good history ? You will get free credit from time to time, various exclusive offers, better support, etc. Also beta tests will only be available for existing customers.
    Giving free/heavily discounted promotions to new customers will:
    1. Invite abusers;
    2. Make people create multiple accounts to benefit and then resell to dubious customers, most spammers;
    3. Create a throw-away image about our products in the mind of the customer (i.e. anything goes, i will just lose some pennies, then sign again for some promotion for almost free), while the spectators will think: hey prometeus is desperate, they are trying to get customers at any price, they probably service spammers, booters and have crappy hardware/network, and will deadpool if not already while in reality we are losing money to subsidize all this.

No, old skool (sic!) is better, reward longterm trust and mutual respect, we are not some international company to answer to some ruthless management fund, we are a small family business which appreciates nice people, we prefer to lose money on them than on abusers that curse and swear for 10 cents. I would like to think we do not have customers, but mostly friends and people which appreciate quality and effort to give a special service with a human touch.
    In no way, shape or form are we trying to emulate a big company, the culture is fundamentally different, we value our freedom of thinking and innovating and you work a lot differently for yourself than for some boss which does not get out of spreadsheets and presentations, doing everything by the book, failing and then blaming you.
    Call me old skool (sic!) but I still believe that big corporations are only managing due to monopoly and contracts with the state, the real value added (with the notable exception of R&D) is done in the small business sector.

• What about windows/freebsd? Will they work?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2013

Yes, i will be making templates for Windows Server and FreeBSD as soon as I finish the most pressing templates such as Ubuntu 13.04 and Fedora 19.
    The password management in KVM is not easy and the frequent changes that various vendors are doing are not helping things, as well as the relative slowness that CS maintainers are implementing them. After this rush is over, will concentrate on producing templates for Centos 5, Debian 6, one more desktop distro such a openSUSE, Windows server 2012 as soon as we manage to separate those and license the servers, also FreeBSD at the end. I anticipate it will take about a month to produce most templates needed. This does not mean, of course, that you cannot install from ISO, however, make sure you choose a Virtio capable template, such as Centos 6 or Fedora latest supported, when you register the ISO in case your OS is not listed. Going on without Virtio will slow you down a lot.
    In order to install windows, please detach the install iso, attach the one with the drivers and load them before partitioning the disk. Ethernet and disk should do, there is the most peformance loss for the most part.

• we can upload our own image/iso. or as Uncle Sal said we cam also upload out own qcow2.

edited August 2013

@Maounique said:
    however, make sure you choose a Virtio capable template, such as Centos 6 or Fedora latest supported, when you register the ISO in case your OS is not listed. Going on without Virtio will slow you down a lot.

To be more precise there are two specific OS for this :-)

Other PV (32 bit)

Other PV (64 bit)

:-D

• It would be wonderful if we can upload our Iso and boot from that to create private templates to spin off new instances. Will give a try on the other PV os type shortly.

• netpioneernetpioneer Member
    edited August 2013

@Maounique said:
    Giving free/heavily discounted promotions to new customers will:
    1. Invite abusers;
    2. Make people create multiple accounts to benefit and then resell to dubious customers, most spammers;
    3. Create a throw-away image about our products in the mind of the customer ... while the spectators will think: hey prometeus is desperate, they are trying to get customers at any price, they probably service spammers, booters and have crappy hardware/network, and will deadpool if not already while in reality we are losing money to subsidize all this.

Amazon AWS : 12 months free tier
    Microsoft Azure: 90 days free trial
    VMware: 3 months free trial
    Profitbricks: 2 weeks free trial
    HP Cloud: free credits trial
    Dimension Data: free trial
    Atlantic.net: free credits trial

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited August 2013

@netpioneer said:

>

How about rackspace? They use the same openstack and if you were to compare features it is them. Btw you don't have to break a limb, because everyone you see around pretend to limp...

• netpioneernetpioneer Member
    edited August 2013

@peppr said:

My point: the quoted reasons/allegations listed by Maounique are not sustained. I couldn't care less if Rackspace or any other provider is offering free trial or not.

@netpioneer said:
    the quoted reasons/allegations listed by Maounique are not sustained. I couldn't care less if Rackspace or any other provider is offering free trial or not.

Exactly my point: I don't care if other offer free trial, we don't ;-)

@peppr said:
    It would be wonderful if we can upload our Iso and boot from that to create private templates to spin off new instances. Will give a try on the other PV os type shortly.

That is possible. Actually is the exact procedure we follow to produce templates, they are done with an account with regular privileges :-)

Thanked by 1upfreak
  • Prophecy: next pages of this thread will be dedicated primarily to two things:

• how iwStack can or cannot compete with DO (AWS, RackSpace etc - choose one or more)

• how awfully bad is that iwStack offers no free trial

Personally, I am satisfied with what I see in iwStack. Those afraid of investing huge sum of 21 EUR (30 EUR with discount applied) can just use something else, methinks.

• What is this deposit thing? Can you explain it, I don't understand?

Also, do you offer cPanel internal discounted licenses OR can you tell me since this is cloud service, if I install cPanel/webuzo4VPS will this be replicated to all servers - would I need to buy additional license for each server?

@kontam said:
    What is this deposit thing? Can you explain it, I don't understand?

it's not a deposit, but credit for the service. You pay for 30 credits (with a 30% discount for some days) and they go to your balance.

Every day the resource used by you in the previous day are calculated and the total removed from your balance. When credit is low you can buy more as addon into the billing panel.

Also, do you offer cPanel internal discounted licenses OR can you tell me since this is cloud service, if I install cPanel/webuzo4VPS will this be replicated to all servers - would I need to buy additional license for each server?

Each instance run on a single server at any time so you only need one license. However since servers are part of a cluster which share the same SAN storage at any time the instance can be migrated (or restarted) on another server.

• Thank you.

So if I understand this - I can't purchase 512MB plan for 2€/m but instead I need to deposit 30€ as credit into my account and then order a plan and add-ons which will be deducted from my account as I use those resources?

Is this correct?

What if I don't use any ordered resources? I don't quite understand how this works, sorry.

If I order say 10 or 100 servers, are they all grouped into my account?

@amarc said:
    prometeus and where can we see credits "countdown" ? I can calculate how much I will spend per month but then again If I can't see it or If don't get somekind of warning email I might forget it and not purchase additional credits on time..

it's in the whmcs service detail page. From there you can also see the detailed list of charges

@kontam said:
    Thank you.

So if I understand this - I can't purchase 512MB plan for 2€/m but instead I need to deposit 30€ as credit into my account and then order a plan and add-ons which will be deducted from my account as I use those resources?

Is this correct?

What if I don't use any ordered resources? I don't quite understand how this works, sorry.

If I order say 10 or 100 servers, are they all grouped into my account?

you are just buying some credit that you can use when and how you like, i.e. to run a small instance for a year or to do it for a month and then fire up another instance or add another data disk, etc.

• kontamkontam Member
    edited August 2013

But how is this billed? Can you pre-pay 1GB of bandwidth and after you spend that you need to pre-pay some more or do you just start using bandwidth and it's deducting money as you go?

When is the server considered shutdown or inactive and what happens to data if I forget to top up my account? While this looks like a terrific service it appears to be too much of a trouble to manage with more than one server. Or is it just me?

Any reviews regarding the billing process?

EDIT: I'm asking these questions because I'm not ready to spend 30€ to test it out. Maybe if you would lower deposit requirements.

@kontam said:
    But how is this billed? Can you pre-pay 1GB of bandwidth and after you spend that you need to pre-pay some more or do you just start using bandwidth and it's deducting money as you go?

When is the server considered shutdown or inactive and what happens to data if I forget to top up my account? While this looks like a terrific service it appears to be too much of a trouble to manage with more than one server. Or is it just me?

Any reviews regarding the billing process?

You can find some more info here:

http://www.iwstack.com/billing/

• @prometeus said:
    it's in the whmcs service detail page. From there you can also see the detailed list of charges

Note that "Your credits are estimated to expire in NN days" record would be extremely convenient to see.

What is the best means to send proposals/suggestions on interface/whatever? Via email, Helpdesk ticket, or public forum like LET would also do?

Thanks.