Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server hardware.. UK
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server hardware.. UK

Hello.

Alright, so everyone is looking for dedicated servers, now we're going to be opening a UK location that is 2ms from Docklands London.

Now, I'd like to get some specifications from you guys to what you'd actually like as lined up already we have these..

AMD OPTERON 2352 2.1GHZ CPU

2GB RAM

160GB HDD

Quad-Core Intel XEON 2.00 GHz

RAM: 6 GB

500GB Sata HDD

I'll list more specs as soon as we get them - but for this hardware in a UK location with 1 IP address + 1gbit connectivity - What do you think?

Comments

• All depends on the price mate. Nothing wrong with the specs from my perspective, although I wouldn't mind the former's CPU/RAM with the latter's HDD for a UK-based storage machine.

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited December 2014

2GB RAM

160GB HDD

We will do this machine at $28/mo

500GB Sata HDD

This one will be $35/mo

Will work on a storage node :-)

• @MSPNick said:

2GB RAM

160GB HDD

We will do this machine at $28/mo

500GB Sata HDD

This one will be $35/mo

Will work on a storage node :-)

Just to clarify, that's a dollar sign so your pricing is in USD instead pounds right?

If so.... Nice! The only other thing I'm interested in is bandwidth as this is quite expensive in the UK correct?

• Yes, to confirm that is a dollar sign.

The bandwidth will be low unless upgraded it'll be around 1TB of monthly transfer or 20TB for $59/mo extra..

The bandwidth is a killer..

They'll be IP's attached to this - they'll be 1 IPv4 attached and upgradable as too..

• Just another update.

We're buying in some atom servers too each will be equipped with 250gb HDD and 4 gb of ram.

Nick

• Interesting :)

• Ah yeah your probably wondering price.

Will be at £8/mo.

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited December 2014

Dual-Core Intel Atom D525 @ 1.8GHz

It will be the same as listed on our website. Just cheaper (-:

• MSPNick said: We're buying in some atom servers too each will be equipped with 250gb HDD and 4 gb of ram.

If you are buying these servers (new) don't buy 250GB HDDs, get 500GB ones at least. Noone will want the 250GB HDDs after a year. They are already too old today.

• $35 a month for the second one sounds nice, I will buy one at that price. Will you have RAID available?

• @rds100 said:

Thank you! I will take your advise! And include 500gb as standard.

@linuxthefish said:
    $35 a month for the second one sounds nice, I will buy one at that price. Will you have RAID available?

It'll be $10/mo for secondary drive. But we're easy and nice people to talk to so you grab a bargain!

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @MSPNick, would you be able to do something for CloudCommando? :)

• @0xdragon said:
    MSPNick, would you be able to do something for CloudCommando? :)

Interesting idea Is this for you?

• @MSPNick said:

A UK location is always good :)

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited December 2014

@0xdragon said:

Can we speak a bit more please in private about your requirements.

Nick.

• @MSPNick

Am I correct in reading £8/mo for the Atom? Any setup fees, and when will they be available? :)

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited December 2014

@im_jmz said:
    MSPNick

Am I correct in reading £8/mo for the Atom? Any setup fees, and when will they be available? :)

Hello,

No setup fee, and we are preparing this now for January

• @MSPNick

Thanks for the info, will keep this in mind :)

• @Jack said:
    £8/mo unless hosted in your house isn't possible in my eyes.

What DC are they going in?

No; they won't be housed in the house.. ;-)

They're going in a new DC in our home town.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@MSPNick said:
    They're going in a new DC in our home town.

Which is?

• £8/month is potentially the winner I've been looking for, but I've never seen anyone do a dedicated server in the UK for less than £13+VAT, so I'd be really interested to know how you're pulling that price off.

Thanked by 1PremiumN
  • @Nekki said:
    £8/month is potentially the winner I've been looking for, but I've never seen anyone do a dedicated server in the UK for less than £13+VAT, so I'd be really interested to know how you're pulling that price off.

More details to come shortly.

• Jack said: His nans house

'Timmy, what are all those whirring boxes with flashing lights in the spare room? They're making a terrible racket and the noise is keeping Mr. Tibble awake.'

'Fuck off, Nan'

• Huh...not sure I'm keen on the idea of Virgin Media...

• @MSPNick said:
    Hello.

Alright, so everyone is looking for dedicated servers, now we're going to be opening a UK location that is 2ms from Docklands London.

Now, I'd like to get some specifications from you guys to what you'd actually like as lined up already we have these..

2GB RAM

160GB HDD

500GB Sata HDD

I'll list more specs as soon as we get them - but for this hardware in a UK location with 1 IP address + 1gbit connectivity - What do you think?

Some newer low power servers would be nice like the j1900 celeron or the amd athlon 5350. I know they are consumer grade but then again so is the D525.

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited December 2014

Nah. We're not building nothing it's already there. Also were not peered with Virgin media.

@sc754 said:
    Some newer low power servers would be nice like the j1900 celeron or the amd athlon 5350. I know they are consumer grade but then again so is the D525.

Interesting. I didn't think anyone would be interested in such? But if there is interest I'll prepare for them too

• @MSPNick said:
    Interesting. I didn't think anyone would be interested in such? But if there is interest I'll prepare for them too

Well the J1900 uses less power than the D525 but performs better, so assuming the hardware cost isn't high vs the D525 then it seems like a better option. I would buy one

• @MSPNick I'm also pretty interested in low-power Atom style servers as well. Something like the Kidicherie Online.net offered, though I know they ran that as a loss and it was more promotion than anything but it worked, they sold out very quickly. If it had decent storage I'd definitely be a new customer :)

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited December 2014

@im_jmz said:
    MSPNick I'm also pretty interested in low-power Atom style servers as well. Something like the Kidicherie Online.net offered, though I know they ran that as a loss and it was more promotion than anything but it worked, they sold out very quickly. If it had decent storage I'd definitely be a new customer :)

We just brought dual xeon server with 3 x146 sas drives.
    With 2 gb ram. ( I'll most likely upgrade this to at least 4gb)

I'll look into j1900 too.

We have a q6600 server too

• @MSPNick you planning on automated re-installs etc or all done via remote hands?

This discussion has been closed.