Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AlienVPS shouldn't be allowed to advertise here
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AlienVPS shouldn't be allowed to advertise here

I always see ads from them on the sidebar, yet they are unreliable and should NOT be recommended to anyone on this forum. My VPS from them has been down for months and the numerous support tickets I've sent in over the past few months have gone unanswered. Evidence:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/sizeoh8lgczsb9p/2014-07-12 at 7.53 PM.png

Mods, these guys should not be allowed to advertise on this forum because their service is terrible.

Comments

• Just because "there service is terrible" does not incline that they should not be allowed to advertise.

Thanked by 1tux
  • So scam services should still be allowed to advertise here?

• They're not being recommended per se, their ads are just shown in the sidebar (I wouldn't know, Adblock Plus gets rid of them quite nicely) because they paid for the advertising space. As long as they keep paying the fees you're unlikely to see their ads gone any time soon.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • @WellGrounded said:
    So scam services should still be allowed to advertise here?

They pay for the advertising space. Service quality is another separate issue, IMHO.

• @WellGrounded said:
    So scam services should still be allowed to advertise here?

How so?

• hellogoodbye said: (I wouldn't know, Adblock Plus gets rid of them quite nicely)

(You should upgrade to AdBlock Edge)

Thanked by 1drazilox
  • Is it the same AlienVPS that used to advertise here way back when (well, 2010, 4 years ago at least).

I don't recall anyone ever saying they were great but if it is the same guys they've been around a while.

In your screenshot you mention invoices, how long have you been having a payment problem? As long as your service has been down?

You need to learn to do research, jesus... have you ever had a positive experience with a provider?

• @Rallias said:
    (You should upgrade to AdBlock Edge)

Is it only available in Firefox? I'm using Google Chrome and I don't see it in the Chrome web store.

• Thanked by 2netomx raindog308
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited July 2014

I put up a thread about these guys a few months ago.

Purchased a VPS... waited a week, created a ticket, waited another 2 weeks without reply, charged back and got the money back. If there's no quality control on those ads then I won't be clicking on them.

• ChuckChuck Member

Why do you have to ask them to reinstall the OS for you?
    Can you use the control panel to reinstall the OS?

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Rallias said: (You should upgrade to AdBlock Edge)

Or he could just tick the box that blocks "non intrusive ads" in ABP.

• Alienvps = Scam, Period.

• shrubblesshrubbles Member
    edited July 2014

Yes, it is scan indeed like lots of the hosts here. I think the customer needs to do a research other than denying some hosts to advertise. LET is a free market, or almost, full of good and bad stuff, it's up to us to choose our hosts and destroy those with bad reputation not buying from them.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I've heard multiple reports of 123systems tickets going unanswered and eventually just auto-closing, long periods of downtime, etc. Yet they're recently featured on LEB.

I think the moral of the story is that what you see here is unfiltered, and while I agree to holding companies accountable, it's like @shrubbles said, it is ultimately the burden of the buyer to research. Read comments here and people will often do their best to steer you right. Share your experience when you feel led, as you did here, to contribute.

Thanked by 3mpkossen Cakey tux
  • WellGrounded said: So scam services should still be allowed to advertise here?

Slander against a company, regardless, should be a ban against you

• wychwych Member

@doughmanes said:
    Slander against a company, regardless, should be a ban against you

Your freaking kidding.

• erkinerkin Member

Anyone's free to advertise just like you're free to leave comments on any service.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2014

Don't we have enough nannies already?
    The governments decide what we can look at online, where we can spend our money, what kind of money etc, I dont need anyone to nurse me (at least not yet...), can make my own decision, it is not like I am losing the house if I make the wrong one...

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2014

Been through this years ago, the line seems to be, when they are maliciously scamming people they cant advertise, sadly many of them are just beyond shit, its not malicious, just shit in which case you are expected to make your own purchase decisions.

Honestly 1 google search about them (and the 20 other brands they run) would have shown you all you need to know, buy blind, get burned.

• ValdVald Member
    edited July 2014

still, i too feel that a community like this should protect and educate(not by their own experience) its visitor. So why should a scam host be featured or advertised here? If the only reason is that the admin is getting paid then its wrong!

The community DOES protect the people which bother to read. The TL;DR people will always be losers.

Thanked by 3rds100 zed jar
  • ValdVald Member

Maounique said: The community DOES protect the people which bother to read. The TL;DR people will always be losers.

it is absurd to advertise scam, it simply does not justify it.

Coca-cola is harmful for your health, yet there are no restrictions in advertising it (might be now, I am out of the loop for some time). Not to mention mcdonalds or many other junk food joints.
    I am also against the restrictions on tobacco advertising, after all, if people pay those taxes, the health system will not be cheated, so I lose nothing and it is their right to kill themselves.
    Advertising should be allowed for everything, here it is allowed even for some OTC drugs and they tout some painkillers to be "with the maximum concentration available without a prescription". I would allow heroin advertising, it is everyone's right to destroy their life and health, as long as there are sources where you can check the truth, after all, every ad is a lie of some sort, let Darwin work. Who is too stupid to live, should die, not be a drag on my taxes, may them OD happy.

Thanked by 1jar
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@vladimir said:
    it is absurd to advertise scam, it simply does not justify it.

Actual 'scams' would be pulled as soon as they were spotted. A number of customers (even a large number) receiving shit service does not constitute a scam, it indicates a shit host. I reckon every host ever to post an offer has been labelled 'scam' and one point or another, so if we banned every so-called 'scam host', we'd all be heer moaning that no-one posts offers anymore.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • ValdVald Member

Maounique said: Coca-cola is harmful for your health, yet there are no restrictions in advertising it (might be now, I am out of the loop for some time). Not to mention mcdonalds or many other junk food joints.

I am also against the restrictions on tobacco advertising, after all, if people pay those taxes, the health system will not be cheated, so I lose nothing and it is their right to kill themselves.
    Advertising should be allowed for everything, here it is allowed even for some OTC drugs and they tout some painkillers to be "with the maximum concentration available without a prescription". I would allow heroin advertising, it is everyone's right to destroy their life and health, as long as there are sources where you can check the truth, after all, every ad is a lie of some sort, let Darwin work. Who is too stupid to live, should die, not be a drag on my taxes, may them OD happy.

Are you kidding me?
    Coca-cola? In every juice today there are chemicals and colors, there is hardly any food that is 100% clean and safe. The tobacco, alcohol and few other things we all know whats going on in the background and why they are not banned, simply corrupt government, money laundering etc.

So you are telling me that you are in favor of this corrupted system? W.T.F.
    people get in the mix because they are not educated enough, and you simply don't care if someone take the wrong way without knowing it.

• ValdVald Member

Nekki said: Actual 'scams' would be pulled as soon as they were spotted. A number of customers (even a large number) receiving shit service does not constitute a scam, it indicates a shit host. I reckon every host ever to post an offer has been labelled 'scam' and one point or another, so if we banned every so-called 'scam host', we'd all be heer moaning that no-one posts offers anymore.

that's good to hear, I just hope the host is not considered a non-scam as long as he pays for advertising. At least I did not have that impression until some started stating its ok to advertise scam.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@vladimir said:
    that's good to hear, I just hope the host is not considered a non-scam as long as he pays for advertising. At least I did not have that impression until some started stating its ok to advertise scam.

No-one said it's ok to advertise a known scammer.

• bigcatbigcat Member

I recall reading somewhere that AlienVPS share the same cage with BuyVM, but I don't remember which datacenter.

So maybe BuyVM know what happen to AlienVPS?

vladimir said: Are you kidding me? Coca-cola?

Gave an example, pepsi might be as bad, I am not interested in their wars.
    If being stupid meant a death sentence people would have been more interested in education. If they believe god will take care of them, no problem, let them in the care of god, it is blasphemy to imagine you can help the almighty. Also, those that believe education is a means to corrupt young souls, fine, dont be corrupted, go in your forrest and leave the rest of the people live.
    It is not necessary to know how to read if you are a woman? Fine, let your wives feed poison to your babies, this way natural selection will have a chance again.