Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr vs Digital Ocean Feature Matrix - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr vs Digital Ocean Feature Matrix

Comments

• I want one of those Vultrs, but I only deposited $5 and got $20 in credit. I would feel bad knowing shipping to the UK probably costs more than $5 lol

• J1021J1021 Member

hostnoob said: I want one of those Vultrs, but I only deposited $5 and got $20 in credit. I would feel bad knowing shipping to the UK probably costs more than $5 lol

How did you get $20 out of $5?

• blackblack Member

@1e10 said:
    How did you get $20 out of $5?

$10 promo code (GIVEME10) + double first payment.

• J1021J1021 Member

black said: $10 promo code (GIVEME10) + double first payment.

Must have missed that promotion. Still, very happy with the service and double initial payment I've received.

• kaflokaflo Member

@alexvolk said:
    It already has but not in all locations.

Which locations have IPv6?

• @1e10 said:
    Can you explain that in a bit more detail for me please?

@1e10, yes I can :-)

You can download System Rescue CD from:

http://www.sysresccd.org

One of the tools it has is partimage, a tool for making backup of partitions. This copies the used blocks of the partition to a file.

To copy the MBR (partimage does not do it) you can use dd:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/mnt/target/sda-MBR-backup bs=512 count=1

Here is a guide on how to do it:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_Backup_Operating_Systems

Thanked by 1J1021
  • The following locations have beta IPv6 support: NJ, Chicago, LA, Atlanta, France, Japan

• wychwych Member

AFAIK - DO allows you to add keys before you first login via PW, Vultr doesn't.

• @David_P said:
    That's the ugliest interface I've ever seen.

It may look dank [ I'm not web designer ] but it's the features that count, right?

• @GoodHosting said:
    Here's what we bring to the table:

Locations: CoreSite, OVH
    Billing Method: Monthly, Hourly [ coming soon ]
    Virtualization: KVM
    High Availability: NO
    Storage Method: iSCSI over Ethernet [SAN]
    Upgrades: Requires Reboot [ Blame KVM ]

actually, qemu supports cpu hotplug (obviously the guest must support it too) and memory ballooning. not sure if the former is available on intel x86 though.

Auto-Scaling: NO [ Blame KVM ]

see above, also dynamic memory ballooning (maybe available in qemu soon?)

Custom Kernel: NO [ Screw that ... ]

what?

Storage Type: SSD
    Internal Network: YES
    Windows/BSD Support: See Custom ISO [YES]
    RAID: Hardware RAID10 w/ CacheVault
    API: YES
    Snapshots: YES
    Multiple IPv4: YES
    IPv6: Somewhat
    Custom ISO: YES
    SSH Keys: YES
    Startup Scripts: NO

sort of, you can add CONTEXT files and if the VM supports contextualization according to the "standard" it should run them automatically.

Application Templates: NO

• linuxthefish said: The following locations have beta IPv6 support: NJ, Chicago, LA, Atlanta, France, Japan

Basically every one except the one I use (London), yeah? dammit :P

• I've never played with either DO or Vultr so I want to get some feedback from you on a comparison point:

High Availability No No
    Storage Method Direct Attached (No SAN) Direct Attached (No SAN)

You said that neither offer HA and none of them use SAN. So lets say a node fails, how do you spin up your data on another node?

• @MarkTurner said:
    You said that neither offer HA and none of them use SAN. So lets say a node fails, how do you spin up your data on another node?

You accept it and start over.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • serverian said: You accept it and start over.

And you can take snapshots...

• @AThomasHowe said:
    And you can take snapshots...

Snapshots are irrelevant. Your data will be assimilated.

So, nodes are just regular VPS, no self-healing?

• wychwych Member

@Master_Bo said:

Correct.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Master_Bo said: Snapshots are irrelevant. Your data will be assimilated.

That's true that it's basically a VPS but it's unlikely your snapshot will disappear along with your node so it's a step up from a lot of providers. I am aware DO and Vultr aren't "true cloud"s though.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited June 2014

Master_Bo said: So, nodes are just regular VPS, no self-healing?

Well, Amazon claim to have "self-healing" and still needs to reboot your VPSes?

• @serverian - what a pile of the proverbial then. Thats just per hour billing VPS, not very impressive. I thought with all their 'cloud' hype it maybe at least possible to have the most fundamental function which is that you can reload your container on another node in the event of failure.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited June 2014

@rds100 said:
    Well, Amazon claim to have "self-healing" and still needs to reboot your VPSes?

First, the fact Amazon provides or does not provide self-healing, doesn't make the two pay-per-hour providers look better or worse. They just do not provide means to recover node, if hardware failure happens.

Second, I have never lost information on Amazon due to hardware failures. Yes, they notified me I should reboot my instance. So what?

Third, I do backups. I do many backups of backups, so, forgive me my Martian, I don't care a &^$&#$@# about hardware failures. If I value data I own, I'll take measures to make their irreversible loss very, very, very unlikely.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • J1021J1021 Member

Master_Bo said: Third, I do backups. I do many backups of backups, so, forgive me my Martian, I don't care a &^$&#$@# about hardware failures. If I value data I own, I'll take measure to make their meltdown very, very, very unlikely.

They probably want some sort of self-heal tool for convenience, not data protection. Everyone should take backups, I keep all my data on a server with a single drive (no raid) because I have it sync over to a secondary server real-time and take the occasional backup too.

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

Thanks for the matrix. Didn't know they allow the custom kernel which I am assuming also means you can alter the boot config. DO doesn't allow either which was a surprise to us and ended up being show stoppers

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • tommytommy Member

said: IPv6 Beta Beta

ipv6 on DO no longer beta :) for SG location.

• Looks like assignment is a /64. Puts it up with Vultr now.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014

William said: Looks like assignment is a /64.

Nnnnope, the assignment is actually a /124 (sixteen consecutive IPs 0...f). I thought it was a /64 too, from some of the screenshots. Also seems to be no way to define rDNS for any of the IPs except for the first one. At least I can't find any mention of this and don't want to spend my credit with them creating a droplet just to verify how much their IPv6 setup actually sucks.

• Great :)

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited June 2014

@DaveA said:
    We wish more people would see how much bang for the buck you get with Vultr!

Still no promised DDoS protection though and you're still ignoring it every time it gets posted.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2014

DO got now IPv6 in singapore.

• kaflokaflo Member

A comment from Vultr's discussion board (https://discuss.vultr.com/discussion/35/no-price-rounding-per-instance)

I am currently using most of my instances for a short time period (< 4 hours per run). >When using the instances for such a short time period it does not make any difference if >I pick the $0.007 (768MB) or the $0.01 (1024MB) instance.

My suggestion would be to only do price rounding on the total of the bill.

@DaveA, I've deployed a couple of 768mb instances for a short period of time and I've been charged more because of this rounding off issue.