Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr vs Digital Ocean Feature Matrix - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr vs Digital Ocean Feature Matrix

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

It does seem like you favor Vultr :) I cant blame you I do as well if for no other reason than DO are responsible for a ton of fraud through inaction.

I personally got around 200 paypal phishing emails over 3 - 4 months from the same DO IP, reported every time via spamcop and they did nothing until I started pasting the abuse reports on to their twitter, it started again about 2 weeks later from a new IP, given the amount of abuse the hosting industry puts up with due to stolen paypal accounts I was beyond dissapointed in the lack of response from DO.

• forthcloudforthcloud Member
    edited June 2014

@Amitz said:
    I wonder why serverian always opens these vultr threads. Is there any connection/link between them? NOT looking for drama, just out of interest!

Because Vultr is better than Serverian's brands [/sarcasm]

What's wrong with telling people about an awesome product?

@serverian it's better to call them as "hourly VPS" providers instead of "cloud" providers.

• AnthonySmith said: It does seem like you favor Vultr :) I cant blame you I do as well if for no other reason than DO are responsible for a ton of fraud through inaction.

I'm not favoring any of them. If I had to choose between them, I'd choose Vultr. My reason was not because of the feature list or performance of them but because I trust Choopa/Constant as a company while I have my doubts of DO which I don't want to speculate here.

However, if I would wanted to host a critical application, I'd choose Linode over all.

• AmitzAmitz Member

@serverian said:

Everything is cool, serverian. I am not trying to diss you at all! But you must admit that it is a bit strange that you somehow drive attention to a competitor of some of your brands on a regular basis. That is rare at least. But, okay, I do not want you to become angry! I am a happy Backupsy customer and like your service.

• J1021J1021 Member

Amitz said: Everything is cool, serverian. I am not trying to diss you at all! But you must admit that it is a bit strange that you somehow drive attention to a competitor of some of your brands on a regular basis. That is rare at least. But, okay, I do not want you to become angry! I am a happy Backupsy customer and like your service.

I wouldn't call it strange, just rare. I think it shows a level of morality and maturity. I doubt this post is going to badly affect Servian's businesses.

• @Amitz said:
    Everything is cool, serverian. I am not trying to diss you at all! But you must admit that it is a bit strange that you somehow drive attention to a competitor of some of your brands on a regular basis. That is rare at least. But, okay, I do not want you to become angry! I am a happy Backupsy customer and like your service.

No worries. I got a bit offended after some dude's random comment on vpsboard about this thread. He accused me of getting paid to post these threads. And your post just pushed that a little more.

We, humans (or at least me) don't do everything by logic most of the time. I know Vultr is somehow a competitor to me.

However, I'd like to suggest good things to people just like suggesting a movie I like, or a song I listen just that I believe it'd make them happier. Suggesting a hosting service is no different than it to me.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@serverian said:
    No worries. I got a bit offended after some dude's random comment on vpsboard about this thread. He accused me of getting paid to post these threads.

Was it an ex LET member that does not come here any more?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Serverian as well as other people here are members of the community, we are not on just to push our pproducts, it is more like sharing with friends good deals.
    I work for Prometeus and our products are good, however, are not the cheapest around, nor are we having tens of locations and there is nothing wrong with that, personally I need many locations and dirt cheap products, so DO qualifies with free service and BlueVM too with nearly free, so I share my thoughts about them. Also, while I hate OVH for the fact they keep rejecting me as customer, changing ongoing deals, putting crazy restrictions (you pay with paypal? No KS for you!) and I was not even out of EU like others, I still think that is an amazing deal, even now at higher price, the ddos mitigation alone is worth that and i constantly recommend people which are attacked in our network to go to OVH.
    Sharing good deals and reviews is one of the main purposes here, so, I put up a thread for BlueVM, serverian for Vultr and others, we are doing our job as community members and I see nothing suspicious here.

• DaveADaveA Member
    edited June 2014

I honestly have no idea who @serverian is. He receives no compensation from us in any form. He sure is a great member of this community though and very good at making active threads!

EDIT: Just noticed he's behind backupsy - I do know who he is.

• People tend to get paranoid in these cases. @serverian is just being a good citizen here and I believe he's a fan of Vultr. Nothing wrong with that.

I know you guys won't like this, but not everything has a conspiracy behind it ;-)

@AnthonySmith said:
    Was it an ex LET member that does not come here any more?

It was @PetaByet

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • I have an acount with all of them (vultr, DO and iwstack).

The best for me is iwstack. I has better performance thant DO and vultr (even it milan that is no ssd, but a SAN I suppose with a lot of spindles) and is the most customizable one. Also the support is very friendly.

DO is great, but does not allow windows nor custom iso, that is the reason for me to use them very little, although I have credit.

Vultr seems also good for me. I can upload my custom iso and has a lot of locations, while iwstack has only two. I cannot download/upload templates as with I can with iwstack, but as I can start with custom ISO I can start a system recovery cd and do a partimage to backup/reimage a vps.

• Great comparison! Thank you. I'm using DO at the moment and they're great.

• Would it be possible to install OSX on Vultr?

• @niceboy said:
    I did not try them yet.. but saw ssh keys don't work as mentioned by op.

From their website

"Our new Startup Scripts feature allows you to configure your newly deployed server by running customizeable scripts on the very first boot of your virtual private server (no login required!)! Add software, install SSH keys, and more - the possibilities are endless!"

• hostnoob said: Would it be possible to install OSX on Vultr?

Yes, I have thought about it.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • I have tried digitalocean vps boc and they are good

• J1021J1021 Member

enrique750 said: but as I can start with custom ISO I can start a system recovery cd and do a partimage to backup/reimage a vps.

Can you explain that in a bit more detail for me please?

• thesuppOrtGuy2 said: I have tried digitalocean vps boc and they are good

DO are great but I feel like they don't change much very often. So many of their suggestions have been marked as in progress but been in the works for 2+ years - the biggest ones in my eyes being BSD and/or custom ISO support which Vultr has out of the box. London location is nice too.

DOs panel is beautiful though. Love the free DNS aswell.

• hostnoob said: Nice.

If you do get any movement post a thread. Be interesting. If you a copy of Mountain Lion for cheap you can get Mavericks and in future Yosemite for free without an actual Mac. I have thought about it but I don't know how well it'd go. You'd probably want at least 2GB for Mavericks/Yosemite.

• kaflokaflo Member
    edited June 2014

The lowest Vultr plan is a beast. Only 1 CPU core but check it out

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2014/06/15/mbrEoBqQ0GACjfVw

This was deployed in their Dallas location.

• Awesome

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2014

Am I the only one who thinks that "Become an Affiliate" or "Spread the word" sounds better than "Make $$$"? I admit, their solution is shorter, but... ;-)

Thanked by 2rm_ Infinity
  • DaveADaveA Member

@kaflo said:
    The lowest Vultr plan is a beast. Only 1 CPU core but check it out

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2014/06/15/mbrEoBqQ0GACjfVw

This was deployed in their Dallas location.

We wish more people would see how much bang for the buck you get with Vultr!

• J1021J1021 Member

DaveA said: We wish more people would see how much bang for the buck you get with Vultr!

Do you have any of those teddies left?

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited June 2014

I wish Vultr had IPv6, but it's nice to be able to 'spin up' a gentoo box with custom ISO's/snapshots!

Thanked by 1XxNisseGamerxX
  • DaveADaveA Member

@1e10 said:
    Do you have any of those teddies left?

https://www.vultr.com/swag

• @linuxthefish said:
    I wish Vultr had IPv6 though...

It already has but not in all locations.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • J1021J1021 Member

Thanks for that, I ordered yesterday, am just wondering if you have any left in stock and whether you post to the United Kingdom?

• Your request has been received. Keep an eye out for a Vultr on your doorstep!