Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

True cloud VPS in Australia from $5/mo for 512MB RAM, 100GB b/w
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

True cloud VPS in Australia from $5/mo for 512MB RAM, 100GB b/w

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited March 2014 in General

Look what I found :D
by googling one new LET member's username: https://www.binarylane.com.au/
Figured it would be unfair if due to bureaucracy we have to wait 14 days before we can learn about and try this new and very interesting provider.

Comments

• jamsonjamson Member
    edited March 2014

Looking forward to hear what people have to say about it :)

• Hm, not bad.

• It's interesting, but I would love to see what vultr does with the Aussie servers's bandwidth before I get another one down under :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

lol, you google every new user's name? :P

That looks really interesting, I am curious how the disk is resized.

• BinaryLaneBinaryLane Member, Host Rep

To grow a disk we power off the machine, resize the underlying Ceph disk, use "fdisk" to change the partition size, e2resizefs or ntfsresize the partition to grow it, and then start the server back up.

Shrinking disk is basically the same, the steps are just in a different order.

• tchentchen Member
    edited March 2014

Mmmm openstack.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@BinaryLane said:
    To grow a disk we power off the machine, resize the underlying Ceph disk, use "fdisk" to change the partition size, e2resizefs or ntfsresize the partition to grow it, and then start the server back up.

Shrinking disk is basically the same, the steps are just in a different order.

Thanks, but I meant how do you detect the FS, maybe people use reiserfs, or some other (exotic) one. If you allow ISO installs, this will probably fail leading to data loss.

edited March 2014

To be clear - we are not built on OpenStack. We have implemented the OpenStack Compute API so that existing tools can be used as-is - for example, we have a Help Desk article on using the "nova" command line client with our service.

Two of my colleagues are currently working on a OpenStack mobile app that you will be able to use with our service and anyone else supporting the standard.

• marcmmarcm Member

Cool find, by the time I saw his post it got changed to "deleted". I doubt that the admins would have a problem with him posting his offer. @mpkossen can we have an exception for a desired location?

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

No doubt I will be corrected if wrong but these guys are somehow related to Mammoth VPS I think: https://www.mammoth.net.au/

They have been around awhile and have quite a good reputation in the Australian market.

Thanked by 1BinaryLane
  • NickkNickk Member

Servers are in NEXTDC Brisbane

Quite a new DC I think but apparently NEXTDC is meant to be fairly good.

Hey Oliver - you are right, we've been running a hosting service since 2010 for local businesses. With our new venture we are trying to simplify it right back to something that developers will love.

@Nick yes NextDC has a very good reputation in Australia as well and quite a few companies providing hosting are using their facilities around the country.

@BinaryLane good idea to start a new venture. Convenient way to get some more IPs from APNIC as well. ;-)

@Oliver - hmm, good point about the IPs ;-) Actually we will be launching in the US in a few months time and "Mammoth" just isnt a useful brandname for that market, there's too many entities already using it.

• OpZeOpZe Member
    edited March 2014

I'm loving this control panel :D

It would be nice to be able do independently set the number of vCPU's instead of them changing based on the levels of memory, storage and transfer & price.

Have this for anyone interested:

CPU model : Common KVM processor Number of cores : 1 CPU frequency : 2400.071 MHz Total amount of ram : 490 MB Total amount of swap : 0 MB System uptime : 1 min, Download speed from CacheFly: 11.4MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 2.99MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 4.36MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.39MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 3.30MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 2.74MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.58MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 4.02MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 4.81MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 3.69MB/s I/O speed : 290 MB/s

• +1 for your clear security statements/commitments @binarylane https://www.binarylane.com.au/security

• sonicsonic Veteran

OpZe said: Download speed from CacheFly: 11.4MB/s

Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 2.99MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 4.36MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.39MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 3.30MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 2.74MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.58MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 4.02MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 4.81MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 3.69MB/s

Ohhh, please save BW, it's quite expensive in AU :D

• sonic said: Ohhh, please save BW, it's quite expensive in AU :D

That is a good point actually, as BW is expensive and capacity (without huge investments) is limited but you say its true cloud (which implies some sort of dedicated BW also for me) - Will it be always 100Mbit burstable or throttled and how is the network connected?

• So is it per hour billing, or per month?

edited March 2014

@rds100 it is billed hourly (so there is no charge during signup). If you cancel after a week, you'll pay about $1.20 on the $5 plan for example.

The price is shown per month to help compare - I dont know about you, but I have no idea if $0.007/hour is better or worse than anyone else :)

Thanked by 1rds100
  • marcmmarcm Member

@rds100 there are roughly 720 hours in a 30 day month, so you can do the math :)

• @BinaryLane

No PayPal (balance) and only CC payments?

@PetaByet we will be adding paypal next month

• marcmmarcm Member

@BinaryLane just my two cents from personal experience, do PayPal Billing Agreements instead of regular PayPal if you want to make your lives easier. You will need to talk to PayPal and ask them to enable that feature for you.

Thanked by 1BinaryLane

@marcm thanks for the tip, I'll get my manager to give them a call next week

• marcmmarcm Member

@BinaryLane you never know who you stumble on at PayPal, so the exact function that you need to have enabled is called "Reference Transactions". They should transfer you to another department for that then and they should tell you that it takes up to 24 hours to have it enabled. We used PayPal's IPN for recurring payments until we ran into some issues with it when it got disabled a few times from PayPal's side. Needles to say that our customers had a pretty unpleasant experience and they weren't happy with us. Since then we switched to Billing Agreements and have had zero issues.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2014

marcm said: PayPal Billing Agreements instead of regular PayPal

Like Online.net uses? You mean that blanket authorization the user must give, allowing to charge any arbitrary amount from their Paypal balance and from credit cards? Sure, makes life easier for a provider. I guess.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • marcmmarcm Member

@rm_ it's actually far from a blanket authorization because PayPal handles claims a bit differently when they are made on a billing agreement, as in they apply different rules and research them better. And then it also depends on the provider. Believe me, it's not worth being haunted on various forums for charging someone something that you shouldn't have in the first place.

• @Oliver, you going to launch a counter-offer? ;)

Seriously though, @BinaryLane, I really want to see this happen! Good luck!

Thanked by 1tommy

@0xdragon said:

Not exactly, I don't want to derail this thread so I will just say it's good to see more competition in Australia and I have some new things coming very soon in Sydney as well. :-)

Thanked by 1tommy