Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They call it Digital Ocean killer. A cloud service from Choopa/Constant: https://www.vultr.com/ - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

They call it Digital Ocean killer. A cloud service from Choopa/Constant: https://www.vultr.com/

Comments

• I don't believe @imperio squarely remarked on the similarities of the services, probably more so with regard to the very similar design. A somewhat unique design which had something to do with their name (Vultr Hosting) would have been much better.

@Lazze said:
    They might be similar, but that does NOT mean one is a clone of the other. I mean, by that logic every VPS provider is a clone of each other because they provide a similar service.

• I'm still waiting to see when they announce the DDoS protection and what the capacity of the protection is.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2014

@Lazze said:
    They might be similar, but that does NOT mean one is a clone of the other. I mean, by that logic every VPS provider is a clone of each other because they provide a similar service.

No. They are attempting a clone. You don't have to be upset about it, I'm sure not, but don't lie. Go stare at both front pages. Come back when you see three diamonds in the same exact colors and order (left to right) of three circles on the DO page. If that doesn't do it for you then you just don't want to see it ;)

It's not like "oh look both provide vps and have pricing tables." No sir, this is way more clear :)

Thanked by 2k0nsl Dylan
  • LazzeLazze Member
    edited February 2014

@jarland said:
    It's not like "oh look both provide vps and have pricing tables." No sir, this is way more clear :)

By that logic, every site using the Twitter Bootstrap framework is a clone of each other because they can all look very similar. Okay, I see that they may look very similar, but people said the same thing about iOS 7 and Android when it released because they were both following the current design trends.

Following current design trends does not mean anyone is trying to clone anything. DO set the design trend, Vultr is following.

I get what you are trying to say, but this is not necessarily a "clone" in the sense that you think it is. They are just following the current trend, like any other sane company trying to make money would.

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2014

Who cares if it's a clone? Making a similar website is not outlawed, and as far as we can tell they did not copy-paste any art assets or anything of the sort.

What matters is they (will) have more DCs than DigitalOcean, their KVM is proper w/o gimmick with a fixed kernel like on DO, the performance seems to be good, and in the end most important is how's their stability of the service, and quality of support.

Thanked by 3jar tchen mpkossen
  • I am having services with constant therefore i care!

• @imperio said:
    I am having services with constant therefore i care!

How does that change anything? It's not like they are ruining their reputation by having a similar website design to DO. If anything, they are going to have a stronger reputation because that design philosophy is proven to bring in new costumers. As long as their servers are running fine, I really don't see the issue.

• That was fixed, read next page.

@Lazze said:
    I get what you are trying to say, but this is not necessarily a "clone" in the sense that you think it is. They are just following the current trend, like any other sane company trying to make money would.

By the logic you think I'm following everyone who wears shoes would have the same personality. This is far more close to home than that. I can actually pick out significant, unique to the market elements that they made minor changes to in order to copy DO without literally "copying" DO's web design. The key is unique elements, not just randomly chosen characteristics that most share.

I'm not mad, I'm glad they did it, I like it.

• Which was fixed... (Although this should never have been an issue)

• I know it have been fixed but it does not stop me judging their reputation after seeing this issue.

• @jarland said:
    I'm not mad, I'm glad they did it, I like it.

Every company does this. You take things that have worked for other companies and apply them to yours. Be it web design or business practices. If you want to call it a copy, then call it a copy. I call it following design trends.

edited February 2014

@Lazze said:
    Every company does this. You take things that have worked for other companies and apply them to yours. Be it web design or business practices. If you want to call it a copy, then call it a copy. I call it following design trends.

Sorry I felt like saying this lol.....

Three shapes containing marketing info in a specific and identical color sequence and a switch to swap between hourly and monthly billing calculation within the page are anything but "design trends." Those are specific and unique elements. Design trends are more abstract than that. A shadow is a design trend, a set of three shapes in the foreground in identical color sequence is the weirdest design trend I've ever heard of. If design trends get that specific then everyone literally will just be copying each other.

Hashtag "pointlesslyarguing"

Thanked by 1marrco
  • LazzeLazze Member
    edited February 2014

@jarland said:
    Hashtag "pointlesslyarguing"

We could argue about what defines design trends all day long, but it would get us nowhere. The fact of the matter is that companies "copy" each other to gain costumers, and what really should matter is the service they provide and not the web design specifics. I think we can at least agree on that :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • There was no need to replicate digitalocean design. Why would anyone resort to such tactics if they want to start a legitimate service? No matter how better their service is, such things never send out positive vibes. And just an awful name!

This is no way a digitalocean killer, can never be. At the most, you may call it DO wannabe or DO clone. The title is highly misleading, consider changing it to something appropriate like clone or wannabe. DO has professionalism written all over it, this one exactly the opposite.

https://www.vultr.com/legal/use_policy.php

What? Come again?

So, if my vultr vps gets compromised and is used to send spam, I'll have to pay millions to vultr, isn't that right @DaveA?

@Void_Whisperer said:
    I'm still waiting to see when they announce the DDoS protection and what the capacity of the protection is.

Me too. They are conveniently avoiding the questions they don't want to answer.

edited February 2014

@Atomic7 said:
    So, if my vultr vps gets compromised and is used to send spam, I'll have to pay millions to vultr, isn't that right DaveA?

Let's be fair. Having that policy is there as an option for extreme circumstances. Go check out the Catalyst Host policy. Reviewed line by line and edited by me when me and Ryan started it. Higher fee, ask Ryan how many people we charged. Give you a hint, last I saw there was no entry for it in whmcs.

Signed,

Never signed a nondisclosure for previous job.

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2014

At the end of the day if you approach your provider and let them know what is going on and that you are working on cleaning up the damages, those high fees will rarely ever hit you. I know for a fact we have never placed a fee on our clients. However we have it in the policy so that if I get hit with fees due to the abuse of a client. I now have the ability to pass those fees down to my client. I can assure you if people were getting hit with massive fees that are described in most TOS/AUP we would all be hearing about it here on LET. "MY $1 VPS COST ME $10,000" "RAGE" "I AM ANGRY" " OPEN THREAD"

Thanked by 1jar
  • Im some of my servers get involved in spam.

Im not going to pay anything. So i dont worry about that.

• Atomic7Atomic7 Member
    edited February 2014

When they have that in their TOS and when the user accepts their TOS, it gives them every right to implement that policy. I don't want to know/find out whether they will actually implement it or not. I'll just stay away.

• Atomic7 said: So, if my vultr vps gets compromised and is used to send spam, I'll have to pay millions to vultr, isn't that right @DaveA?

Really this is more to scare away spammers than anything else. I mean, these guys have an EFnet server ffs. That should tell you about the culture of their company.

Thanked by 1DaveA
    edited February 2014

@Atomic7 said:
    When they have that in their TOS and when the user accepts their TOS, it gives them every right to implement that policy. I don't want to know/find out whether they will actually implement it or not. I'll just stay away. Such an unethical and plagiarized brand!

I don't want to be with a provider who doesn't write themselves in policies that give them to grounds to act as needed in all situations, that provider is headed for failure. Your policy is the limitations that you write for yourself as a company, in a market that changes constantly, and abuse tactics even more frequently. Failure to prepare for this is for children, not legitimate businesses.

• @jarland - Well Said.

We have 18 years in this industry, trusted by some of the largest companies in the world, 10's of thousands of servers, we're not going to start levying fines to raise margins.

The policy was written by legal to deter the activity, and while in theory it could be used if someone hacked your server and spammed it would never be levied in such a case. And quite frankly like someone mentioned above we never had to use that provision, ever.

We do appreciate the feedback, all these posts and tickets in our system are being closely watched and acted upon.

Thanked by 3jar Magiobiwan AuroraZ
  • The logo is a bit of a turnoff for me.

• @DaveA , i don't know if it's been mentioned on here already but.. Is there an ETA on Sydney servers coming available..
    at the moment im trying to decide how much to credit the account lol

@DaveA now that's weird

• DaveA said: We have 18 years in this industry .....

how about ddos protection ?? I don't care how old your company, what I care is ddos protection. Avoid this question again?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
    edited February 2014

tommy said: how about ddos protection ?? I don't care how old your company, what I care is ddos protection. Avoid this question again?

Stop behaving like a whiny obnoxious kid, what DDOS protection? Do you see anything about DDOS protection on their website? It was explained above they decided to not offer it for now. If you want to make a case that you bought back when this was promised, I believe you should be able to request a refund, but that's about it.

• LazzeLazze Member
    edited February 2014

It's absolutely hilarious how many people in here are having a seizure over the fact that Vultr decided to take inspiration from DO.

@Atomic7 said:
    There was no need to replicate digitalocean design. Why would anyone resort to such tactics if they want to start a legitimate service? No matter how better their service is, such things never send out positive vibes. And just an awful name!

This is no way a digitalocean killer, can never be. At the most, you may call it DO wannabe or DO clone. The title is highly misleading, consider changing it to something appropriate like clone or wannabe. DO has professionalism written all over it, this one exactly the opposite.

You are actually [insult removed by S.] Your bias towards DO is so strong that you should not even be allowed to comment here. Instead of focusing about the fact that they borrowed design elements from another company, how about you focus on that actual service instead? I do realize that they may or may not be perfect right now, but you didn't even give them a chance because you ruled them out.

If you come back in a year and tell me that you don't like their service with a proper foundation for your argument, then I will listen.

Companies "copy" from each other, big surprise there. Microsoft is bigger than Apple in the computer space, why? They copied what Apple was doing. You can apply this to a lot of companies. Saying that Vultr is doomed already is quite the bold statement since you probably didn't even use their service enough to form a valid opinion.

And no, I am not a biased Vultr costumer. I use DigitalOcean and I do not plan to switch because they provide a great service.

@Lazze said:
    You are actually stupid. Your bias towards DO is so strong that you should not even be allowed to comment here.

Come on now, take a deep breath ;)