Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has freenom eventually died? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Has freenom eventually died?

Comments

• shruubshruub Member
    edited February 13

@msatt said:
    I have opened a ticket and sent an email - still don't expect any response ufortunately.

You might want to be more optimistic :^D

Edit: FYI though, one (seemingly?) "only" gets the domains under the .tk, .gq and .cf tlds back. Still nice.

• After how long they respond ?

• @Carlin0 said:
    After how long they respond ?

For me it was around 28 hours.

Thanked by 1Carlin0
  • My two free .tk domains (used with own nameservers) also stopped working. I contacted with them via email - thx for the idea - and got a response within 24h. Both of my domain works again, they moved them as 'paid' category and extended the expiry date with 9 years. I got the same friendly email response like others shared in this topic.

I contacted them with the same email address what I use for my Freenom account too. In my email message I mentioned clearly both of my affected domain name, and the account's email address.

@JosephF said:
    Arethey restoring only certain TLD domains and not restoring other TLDs?

I think, they only restoring those domains (ccTLD extensions), which they have control at the moment. (".tk" and probably some others - I have only ".tk").

• Are there any alternative free second level domains (other than Freenom)?

• Carlin0Carlin0 Member
    edited February 14

@JosephF said:
    Are there any alternative free second level domains (other than Freenom)?

https://freedns.afraid.org/

Edit : To me freenom closed the ticket without even responding....

• Over 24 hours, ticket still 'open' and no response to email.

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited February 14

@Carlin0 said:

@JosephF said:

https://freedns.afraid.org/

Afraid only offers free third level domains, not second level domains.

• amjamj Member

@DashKiller said:

@adns said: Try to open a ticket or write an email to [email protected]. There are posts on Reddit where domains got back from pending state.

That worked for me, my .tk is back up and running now.

I sent an email to [email protected] and got response same as the image.
    I have .cf, .ga and .tk domains, they updated .cf and .tk but .ga.

• rick2610rick2610 Member
    edited February 14

@amj said:

@DashKiller said:

@adns said: Try to open a ticket or write an email to [email protected]. There are posts on Reddit where domains got back from pending state.

That worked for me, my .tk is back up and running now.

I sent an email to [email protected] and got response same as the image.
    I have .cf, .ga and .tk domains, they updated .cf and .tk but .ga.

.ga is not in freenom management anymore.

see, https://www.afnic.fr/wp-media/uploads/2023/05/ga-domain-names-soon-to-return-to-Gabonese-management-1.pdf

Thanked by 2amj titus
  • Many thanks to dot.tk, I'll miss you.

• @JosephF said:

Technically there are some weird extensions that supposedly can be had for free but it's usually tied to being a resident of some exotic place and i don't know anyone who ever managed to get past the signup process with any of those.

Thanked by 1JosephF
  • @totally_not_banned said:

@JosephF said:

Technically there are some weird extensions that supposedly can be had for free but it's usually tied to being a resident of some exotic place and i don't know anyone who ever managed to get past the signup process with any of those.

.aq ftw! I think Nepal is a country that does it as well, might be a tad bit more livable.

• edited February 15

@shruub said:

@totally_not_banned said:

@JosephF said:

.aq ftw! I think Nepal is a country that does it as well, might be a tad bit more livable.

So did Kiribati at some point (not sure what's their position these days). If anyone feels it's worth their time to whip up some extremely convincing fake data move they should just go through ICANNs list of ccTLD nics but as i've said everyone i know who tried to bullshit their way to one of those free domains failed.

@shruub said:

@JosephF said:

So did Kiribati at some point (not sure what's their position these days). If anyone feels it's worth their time to whip up some extremely convincing fake data move they should just go through ICANNs list of ccTLD nics but as i've said everyone i know who tried to bullshit their way to one of those free domains failed.

Just don't use fake data, just move to the country ;^)

• @msatt said: But now find that my domains (on .gq .tk) are no longer resolving and this is two seperate (legitimate) accounts.

yes, freenom died. They've been de-accredited by ICANN and now longer can register, renew, transfer your domains. But, the registry will keep auto-renewing the domain for a grace period.

• edited February 15

@shruub said:

@shruub said:

@JosephF said:

Now that would be very LET. I wonder why noone has setup some mailbox service in one of these places and started to offer unlimited domains at $7/y yet ;)

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited February 15

@JasonM said:

@msatt said: But now find that my domains (on .gq .tk) are no longer resolving and this is two seperate (legitimate) accounts.

yes, freenom died. They've been de-accredited by ICANN and now longer can register, renew, transfer your domains. But, the registry will keep auto-renewing the domain for a grace period.

The ICANN de-accreditation is only regarding their gTLD registrar business; it has no bearing on their ccTLD registries.

Thanked by 1shruub

@shruub said:

@shruub said:

@JosephF said:

Now that would be very LET. I wonder why noone has setup some mailbox service in one of these places and started to offer unlimited domains at $7/y yet ;)

I smell money (and potentially getting kicked out of the registery for abusing their service and potentially hosting questionable content)

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • It's public:

Press Statement
    Amsterdam, 12th of February 2024. Freenom today announced it has resolved the lawsuit brought by
    Meta Platforms, Inc. on confidential monetary and business Terms. Freenom recognizes Meta's
    legitimate interest in enforcing its intellectual property rights and protecting its users from fraud and
    abuse.
    Freenom and its related companies have also independently decided to exit the domain name
    business, including the operation of registries. While Freenom winds down its domain name
    business, Freenom will treat the Meta family of companies as a trusted notifier and will also
    implement a block list to address future phishing, DNS abuse, and cybersquatting.

https://www.freenom.com/en/freenom_pressstatement_02122024_v0100.pdf

In response as

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2023/03/sued-by-meta-freenom-halts-domain-registrations/

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2023/05/phishing-domains-tanked-after-meta-sued-freenom/

Also read or interact on Mastodon https://infosec.exchange/@briankrebs/111933340966899025

Thanked by 4shruub titus mrTom 0xC7
  • zelizeli Member

I contacted support as well, my domains got renewed for 9 years and are working again, thanks for the info.

• Only to me they don't answer... patience

• and no respone / renewal for me.

• @Carlin0 said:
    Only to me they don't answer... patience

@msatt said:
    and no respone / renewal for me.

Which TLD extension is your domain with them?

The domain no longer resolves?

• @JosephF said:

Which TLD extension is your domain with them?

gq cf tk ga

@JosephF said:

The domain no longer resolves?

No

• They've re-activated my three .tk domains, but their TLD nameserver is only serving an SOA record for one of 'em! Speculation on reddit is that you might be able to force a refresh by switching to freenom nameservers and then back to your custom nameservers. I guess I'll try that next.

• Has Freenom historically cancelled/deactivated free domain registrations if you didn't actively login to your Freenom account once every x amount of months or so? I'm referring to even before they started having their recent problems in the last year or so.

• @JosephF said:
    Has Freenom historically cancelled/deactivated free domain registrations if you didn't actively login to your Freenom account once every x amount of months or so? I'm referring to even before they started having their recent problems in the last year or so.

They said they would do it and it is/was in their TOS as well, but I have personally never experienced it.

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited February 16

@shruub said:

@JosephF said:
    Has Freenom historically cancelled/deactivated free domain registrations if you didn't actively login to your Freenom account once every x amount of months or so? I'm referring to even before they started having their recent problems in the last year or so.

They said they would do it and it is/was in their TOS as well, but I have personally never experienced it.

Because I had a Freenom account with two free domains about four years ago (that I almost never logged into or used) but I see that my account with them no longer exists (for at least the last year.)

How often have you logged in (or used your domains)?

Thanked by 10xC7
  • JosephFJosephF Member
    edited February 16