Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looks like limewave had all upstreams pulled - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

looks like limewave had all upstreams pulled

Comments

• ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited February 4

@Dvo said:

@ehhthing said: The debt will just be sold and resold over and over again until it eventually dies completely.

That's not true. After X (go figure it out) amount of years and after proving you exhausted all reasonable collection attempts (hence the reason the collection agency is hired in the first place), the debt can be written off against the companies income tax, in Canada.

This is only true if the amounts you're asking to collect on are real. You'd be committing tax fraud if you actually asked for + $200 + $50 in fees on top of the amount that they actually owe you and then wrote it off.

Since you've refused to issue prorated refunds, the $50 cannot be considered something they owe you since even if they only charged back the pro-rated amount (aka how much you owe them), that fee would've also needed to be paid on your part. The $200 fee is BS and something you've pulled out of your ass, and you can't justify how they possibly could owe you that money.

If what you're saying is true what would prevent you from adding a $1mil fee and then writing that off in a few years? You can't just make up arbitrary debts, send collections after your customers and then when they refuse to pay, write off all the money.

Also: reminder that the magic words to stop being harassed by a debt collector are "I would like to take this to small claims court".

• @Dvo said:
    The problem with exit scams is that fortunately, they don’t exist anymore. What fueled the exit scams was the fact PayPal never allowed refunds for virtual goods or services, today however they are both covered. You may want to go read PayPal’s terms of service. Not sure how I’m running away with people’s money when they’ll get a refund and then PayPal and I will settle later on, it’s not like the money was spent, it’s sitting in a CIBC account since both accounts (PP/Stripe) get dumped almost daily. When dealing with annual accounts, it not wise to put services not rendered on the books i.e. the prepayment, as it’s actually classified as a liability. Who knew?!

I’m not going to be proactive in refunding, simply because of all the drama with the refunds themselves. If people think paying $12/yr for a service, using the service for 6 months, then charging back the full $12 when they’re only lawfully entitled to a $6 refund, I’m not going to sit there and fuck around with arguing with people. Let them get their $12 refund, I’ll tack on a $200 administrative fee, a $50 charge back fee, the balance due and the interest, then fire the account off to collections. Problem solved.

Regardless of what people want to believe, the company was profitable. Profitability however isn’t the only metric used when forecasting a company’s future. People need to stop using the word owner and start using the word investor. For me this was an investment and while profitable, the company never hit any of its quarterly targets. Not hitting the targets makes it difficult to forecast the future in terms of its value i.e.putting more resources into a.k.a. what this investment is worth to me.

It’s also important to understand why those targets failed. It’s not one single issue, it’s multiple issues overall. Yes, the economy isn’t the greatest, yes, we have inflation. Are people’s wages going up? The reason why I say this is because the company never had a strong commercial/corporate customer base, it was mostly hobby companies and VPN users i.e. residential. While I’m not going to complain as revenue is revenue, as people struggle trying to make ends meet, and let’s be honest, if you had to decide between two VPS’s i.e. Limewave or Vultr/DO, you’ll always pick the most established provider and drop the other. That’s fine, business is business. There have been a few, larger providers, very vocal about lack of growth and the economy. Kinda odd for me to bring up struggling customers, isn’t it? 62% of the customer base never paid their bill on time (and yes I did remove the $0.50 late fee), not knocking them, however if you can’t pay a $1.85/mo service on time, it’s either because a) money is tight – OK, not everyone lives in a country where they make a lot of money, I get it or b) the service wasn’t a priority. Now if the service wasn’t a priority, that’s a slight problem, no?

HE losing their SEA<>Tokyo run didn’t help things either. It’s hard to compete in markets where the company actually found a niche (not that I planned to be a provider in those markets), however the MJJ’s love HE. HE, HE, HE, fuck NTT fuck Cogent. The amount of “can I get single homed HE” tickets was actually surprising, had I known I was going to be a VPN (I mean VPS) host in that market and their love for HE, I never would’ve signed Cogent. I’m sure I could’ve picked up v6 Cogent routes off Wowrack cheap. Meh. But now with the 40-60 ms of additional latency, whatever monthly customers the company had in that market, well… let’s just say 24 hours after HE shit the bed, there was a decent number of cancellations.

Having a DC tech fat finger some shit in the rack didn’t make things go any smoother. However the work was being done to upgrade the network and add additional power. People ticket in “network is shit” – “I know…”. I can’t pull a fucking rabbit out of my ass and “problem solved”. Doing the upgrade was a huge and I mean HUGE pain in the ass, however once complete, I hate to say it, the last 2 months or so have been probably the best in terms of performance and reliability.

Now there were some plans made in November to try a small pilot, nothing big, however I did find a deal on some E3-1245v3’s and was planning on doing a dedicated servers out of Seattle. When the network was built, there was never any plans for colocation or dedicated servers meaning the physical infrastructure for the backend was never there. So yes, it’s gonna be a hit or miss in regards to whatever automation solution I picked (pay attention now – the project never got that far) and working out the bugs, the additional power going in was for these servers.

What it comes down to is that regardless of the capital that went into this location, $43K to launch and another $10K in November, the numbers weren’t there. If people want to believe it was an exit scam, that’s fine. The decision to cease operations wasn’t on the table until the end of the fourth quarter, which is the end of December.

But let’s be honest, if I’m struggling for cash and need to pump accounts to pay carriers and colocation bills, why in the fuck would I spent two grand on old shit servers? Why pick up (and carry) the additional power? As of right now, they’re still sitting unpackaged and that kinda sucks, because I was looking forward to seeing how things would’ve turned out.

If I was struggling for cash, why not sell the ports? How many providers here would be interested in, pot luck special, FLAT 10g ports - $200/mo for one and $300/mo for the other – pick your rate and I’ll tell you if it’s Cogent or HE. Anyone in wowrack want my 10g FLAT SIX port, it’s only $75/mo, $550/mo retail btw. I got a killer deal on 40 amps if anyone’s looking for a deal. Anyone looking for a /21 of IPv4 non 4.10, make me an offer. The ports aren’t being sold nor are the IP’s or power.

It’s not that I didn’t value the customers I had, I did. I’m very grateful for the customers that decided to do business with me, thank you! At the end of the day however, decisions need to be made and it’s just business.

As for the ARIN updates, yes there are plans. As of right now, I have the rack space just don’t have the free power. The plan as of right now, nothing official, is that I’ll be bringing a few nodes online for a 24 hour period then cycle with the same pattern until all the nodes have had their last day. What I’m waiting for is OVH to approve the BYOIP orders as I figure, it’d be wise to have some form of basic DDoS protection. Once the nodes come online, people can rsync the data off if needed, however the same restrictions as before apply i,e. no outbound SSH, so my advice would be to change the SSH port of the remote host now to avoid any delays when the node comes online. OVH states up for 3 weeks, so tick tock. We all wait.

For the node that was a total loss, it will be repaired and brought back online so you can recover your data if needed.

Man, i paste this to Chatgpt and ask "did he feel or said sorr?"

You know what, chatgpt reply:

The passage doesn't explicitly convey the author's emotions, so it's challenging to determine if they feel sorry about the situation. The focus is more on explaining the business decisions and circumstances leading to the cessation of operations.
    There is no mention of the author expressing sorrow or offering an apology in the provided passage. The narrative primarily focuses on providing a detailed explanation of the business situation and decisions made.

Sorry, said sorry is that hard?

• @Dvo said:

@ehhthing said: The debt will just be sold and resold over and over again until it eventually dies completely.

That's not true. After X (go figure it out) amount of years and after proving you exhausted all reasonable collection attempts (hence the reason the collection agency is hired in the first place), the debt can be written off against the companies income tax, in Canada.

Again, Canada doesn't burden the creditor with collection costs, that is the reasonability of the debtor. If the collection agency wants $75 up front to collect, the $75 gets paid, the balance is now $87 plus interest. This isn't fuckin rocket science.

Then when will you open up the opportunity to back up data? I don’t want the money. As I said, many honest customers will lose power before they have time to transfer their data. Data is more valuable than vps. :'(

• @redhattom said:

@Dvo said:

Again, Canada doesn't burden the creditor with collection costs, that is the reasonability of the debtor. If the collection agency wants $75 up front to collect, the $75 gets paid, the balance is now $87 plus interest. This isn't fuckin rocket science.

Then when will you open up the opportunity to back up data? I don’t want the money. As I said, many honest customers will lose power before they have time to transfer their data. Data is more valuable than vps. :'(

Yeah,but mjjs dont care about data.
    But anyway, nodeseek!=mjj

• edited February 4

@Dvo said:

It's not rocket science either that it's (even without knowing a single letter of Canadian law) highly unlikely that the agency will be able to simply add arbitrary charges (with $75 sounding quite arbitrary) and magically make them into an enforceable claim. Sure they can try (those agencies are often kind of scummy after all) but will also pretty safely back down in the exact second they notice that there is a chance of having to explain their charge to an actual authority (read: the supposed debtor shows signs of willingness to fight the claim - depending on jurisdiction that might be just ignoring their messages thereby leaving them no discourse but filing with a court, putting their practice on official records and risking to lose later on).

• @redhattom said:

@Dvo said:

You should be demanding both the money and the data, bro. Don't give up what you deserve

• JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited February 4

no idea but read your title as limewire. almost went back to 1999

Thanked by 2raindog308 equalz
  • DvoDvo Veteran

@totally_not_banned said:
    It's not rocket science either that it's (even without knowing a single letter of Canadian law) highly unlikely that the agency will be able to simply add arbitrary charges (with $75 sounding quite arbitrary) and magically make them into an enforceable claim. Sure they can try (those agencies are often kind of scummy after all) but will also pretty safely back down in the exact second they notice that there is a chance of having to explain their charge to an actual authority (read: the supposed debtor shows signs of willingness to fight the claim - depending on jurisdiction that might be just ignoring their messages thereby leaving them no discourse but filing with a court, putting their practice on official records and risking to lose later on).

It appears it is. Again, a creditor doesn’t pay for any of the recovery costs, the debtor does.

Bob (debtor) owes ACME INC (creditor) $25. ACME calls TLDR Recovery, TLDR says they want $75 to recover. ACME pays the $75. Bob now owes ACME $100. The account TLDR recovers on is $100.

If Bob ignores TLDR, a file is opened on Bob’s credit report. Now Bob’s credit score is shit. Bob’s bank loan is denied.

Don’t be like bob.

• @Dvo said:

It appears it is. Again, a creditor doesn’t pay for any of the recovery costs, the debtor does.

Bob (debtor) owes ACME INC (creditor) $25. ACME calls TLDR Recovery, TLDR says they want $75 to recover. ACME pays the $75. Bob now owes ACME $100. The account TLDR recovers on is $100.

If Bob ignores TLDR, a file is opened on Bob’s credit report. Now Bob’s credit score is shit. Bob’s bank loan is denied.

Don’t be like bob.

Putting a debt onto a credit report costs money constantly while it's on the report, and it's basically never worth it for small debts for obvious reasons.

Stop trying to scare your customers.

• DvoDvo Veteran

@redhattom said:

Feel free to chargeback for a refund. It's not going to result in you not getting any data back or anything.

I'm waiting for OVH to add the prefixes to their system. ETA up to 3 weeks. :/

• DvoDvo Veteran

@ehhthing said:
    Putting a debt onto a credit report costs money constantly while it's on the report, and it's basically never worth it for small debts for obvious reasons.

There is a higher probability to recover small amounts than larger simply because people don’t want to fuck their credit over $50.

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

Bob is a business owner who realizes that he can’t pay his bills and decides to close his company without informing anyone. After several days, he reappears and starts blaming PayPal and all his customers for leaving them without service. He even threatens to sue them.

Bob’s behavior is unprofessional and unethical. Instead of taking responsibility for his actions, he is blaming others for his own mistakes. This kind of behavior can damage his reputation and make it difficult for him to start a new business in the future.

don’t be like Bob

• @Dvo said:

@ehhthing said:

There is a higher probability to recover small amounts than larger simply because people don’t want to fuck their credit over $50.

Stop bullshitting.

FICO® Score versions launched since FICO® Score 8 was introduced in 2009 ignore collection accounts under $100, also known as "nuisance" accounts.

• DvoDvo Veteran

@georgedatacenter said:
    Bob is a business owner who realizes that he can’t pay his bills and decides to close his company without informing anyone. After several days, he reappears and starts blaming PayPal and all his customers for leaving them without service. He even threatens to sue them.

Bob’s behavior is unprofessional and unethical. Instead of taking responsibility for his actions, he is blaming others for his own mistakes. This kind of behavior can damage his reputation and make it difficult for him to start a new business in the future.

don’t be like Bob

Don’t assume the issue was due to the inability to pay bills, you’re just showing your ignorance.

When did I blame PayPal?

I can tell reading isn’t your strong point.

Fuck off.

• DvoDvo Veteran

@ehhthing said:

Stop bullshitting.

FICO® Score versions launched since FICO® Score 8 was introduced in 2009 ignore collection accounts under $100, also known as "nuisance" accounts.

If you want to get technical, $150 is easier to collect than $15,000.
    If you want to get technical, $250 is easier to collect than $25,000.

Shall I continue, or is there a hint your missing here?

• ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited February 4

@Dvo said:

@ehhthing said:

Stop bullshitting.

You can't make your $6 debts suddenly worth $150. You know that. You're trying to scare people into thinking you can so you can take their money without recourse.

I've already explained why you can't just add arbitrary fees on top of what your customers actually owe you. You can only collect for fees that your customers actually owe that have been outlined in the terms of the contract that was signed with them, plus interest.

This should be obvious to anyone who knows what a debt is, and I'm sure a business genius like you more than understands this.

In North America, debt collection agencies don't charge fixed fees to anyone. They charge a fee only when a debt is collected, and it's a percentage of the amount collected. This fee cannot be paid by the debtor, the province of BC makes this pretty clear, and I don't know what world you live in where you think you can add a "debt collection fee" that you haven't paid yet onto a debt you're sending to collections.

So in the world known as reality, your $6 debts -- which you cannot tack additional fees onto -- will result in a profit of $2 to a debt collection agency and $4 back to you if it's actually ever collected on (interest is negligible).

No debt collector is going to take a $6 debt.

• @Dvo said:

And you're going to pay $75 to a collection agency to attempt to collect a $12 alleged/disputed debt, that there's little likelihood of ever collecting on?

Thanked by 1greentea
  • bootboot Member

@Dvo said: PayPal

@Dvo said: MJJ’s

@Dvo said: CHINA CHINA CHINA CHINA

@Dvo said: shit customers

@Dvo said: Fuck off.

@Dvo said: not getting any data back

@Dvo said: fuck their credit

@Dvo said: Bob’s credit score is shit.

@Dvo said: This isn't fuckin rocket science

@Dvo said: my fault

Thanked by 2Dvo greentea
  • DvoDvo Veteran

@ehhthing said:

You can't make your $6 debts suddenly worth $150. You know that. You're trying to scare people into thinking you can so you can take their money without recourse.

I've already explained why you can't just add arbitrary fees on top of what your customers actually owe you. You can only collect for fees that your customers actually owe that have been outlined in the terms of the contract that was signed with them, plus interest.

This should be obvious to anyone who knows what a debt is, and I'm sure a business genius like you more than understands this.

In North America, debt collection agencies don't charge fixed fees to anyone. They charge a fee only when a debt is collected, and it's a percentage of the amount collected. This fee cannot be paid by the debtor, the province of BC makes this pretty clear, and I don't know what world you live in where you think you can add a "debt collection fee" that you haven't paid yet onto a debt you're sending to collections.

So in the world known as reality, your $6 debts -- which you cannot tack additional fees onto -- will result in a profit of $2 to a debt collection agency and $4 back to you if it's actually ever collected on (interest is negligible).

No debt collector is going to take a $6 debt.

MMmhmm

• KrisKris Member
    edited February 4

I've had enough of this little shit.

If the kid who can't pay Seattle Colo fees wants to claim he's reporting false info, I'm already filing reports with the FTC and suggest you do as well: https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/form/main

Include screenshots of the replies here and explain the situation that you have a crazy penniless canuck who has disappeared, re-appeared 8 days later with the worst knowledge of chargebacks and legal matters I've ever seen. Threatening to go hari-kari over being charged back over a scam. If anything, it'll be a nice paper-trail for the big 3 credit reporting firms, who will laugh when they see this mess.

Secondly, same source, here is how to dispute the false information and have it removed from your credit report.

https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/disputing-errors-your-credit-reports

Your original invoice, and this thread along with an explanation will do just fine.

He's just trying to scare people out of this. No legitmate company, who usually takes a percentage of the paid accounts is going to go near this mess.

If they do, I'll make sure to legally demand proof of the terms of agreement, including of your bullshit fees and show them the actual terms of agreement page. Then they disappear.

Tell them you'd like to take it to small claims, they will really disappear.

Keep in mind, some have just enough craziness and spare time to deal with false matters like this just to prove a point. (and it's not the one who can't afford colo in seattle)

• Reading your responses to the members here, there's definitely a notable deficiency in professionalism on your end. That's also accompanied by a concerning lack of respect for both your customers and their data.

• bootboot Member

@Kris said: I've had enough of this little shit.

@Kris said: I'm already filing reports with the FTC

LOL. Yeah they have real jurisdiction over a Canadian company. Keep seething harder, you will get your $15 dollars back. Don't give in to the bully from B.C.

• KrisKris Member

@boot said: LOL. Yeah they have real jurisdiction over a Canadian company. Keep seething harder, you will get your $15 dollars back. Don't give in to the bully from B.C.

This your alt, or you just stanning a fraud so hard?

Read the quote kid:

If anything, it'll be a nice paper-trail for the big 3 credit reporting firms, who will laugh when they see this mess.

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • KrisKris Member

@boot said: Keep seething harder, you will get your $15 dollars back.

I feel you have have a learning disability, as I've already charged him back. I'm angry for the people he just scammed in December.

Keep on sucking Dvo off, or... just his alt?

• @Dvo said:

Don’t be like bob.

• The magic word is reasonable.
    • Credit score companies don't want nonsense data.
    • I want to see you try this internationally. I think you'll be surprised ;)
  • xvpsxvps Member

@Dvo said:

@ehhthing said:

Stop bullshitting.

It is not as simple as you put it.

It is easy to dispute the amount or your entire debt claim and then you will have to take the case to court in your customer's country. And you can't get someone registered as a bad payer on a disputed claim. And if you do take it to court, you will most likely lose many of those cases because of the laws that protect consumers.

Some of them may end with that the customer shall pay a smaller amount than your claim and you shall pay the cost of the lawsuit, or half of the cost.

And in many countries, you don't get the full cost of your lawsuit covered, simply because the loser of the lawsuit has to pay a calculated cost, not your actual cost. Where I'm from you get 30-40% of your lawyer costs covered when you win. If the losing party pays.

In some countries, they have a max on the costs in small cases, but you will still have to pay your lawyer the full price. And if a decision of a court case is appealed to a higher court, it is no longer a small case with limited costs.

But feel free to throw more bad money after those you already lost.

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited February 4

@Dvo said:

Don’t be like bob.

This is simply factually incorrect. If all parties resided in Canada, perhaps there's a shred of accuracy in your outline. I even doubt that much. But if your client is outside Canada, as 90+% are, then there's no Canadian jurisdiction over credit reporting, collection or disputed debt and transactions. The jurisdiction will lie in the customer's place of residency. And if they're in the US (or similarly elsewhere), you won't be able to report them to a credit reporting agency, especially as you have no social security numbers (and, additionally, the customer could have signed up with any name.) And you couldn't collect the debt either, even if it went to a (foreign) court, as you breached the term of the contract you made with your customers.

• DvoDvo Veteran

@Kris said:
    I've had enough of this little shit.

If the kid who can't pay Seattle Colo fees wants to claim he's reporting false info, I'm already filing reports with the FTC and suggest you do as well: https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/form/main

Include screenshots of the replies here and explain the situation that you have a crazy penniless canuck who has disappeared, re-appeared 8 days later with the worst knowledge of chargebacks and legal matters I've ever seen. Threatening to go hari-kari over being charged back over a scam. If anything, it'll be a nice paper-trail for the big 3 credit reporting firms, who will laugh when they see this mess.

Secondly, same source, here is how to dispute the false information and have it removed from your credit report.

https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/disputing-errors-your-credit-reports

Your original invoice, and this thread along with an explanation will do just fine.

He's just trying to scare people out of this. No legitmate company, who usually takes a percentage of the paid accounts is going to go near this mess.

If they do, I'll make sure to legally demand proof of the terms of agreement, including of your bullshit fees and show them the actual terms of agreement page. Then they disappear.

Tell them you'd like to take it to small claims, they will really disappear.

Keep in mind, some have just enough craziness and spare time to deal with false matters like this just to prove a point. (and it's not the one who can't afford colo in seattle)

What happened to the two lawyers?

• @Dvo said:

@georgedatacenter said:

don’t be like Bob

Don’t assume the issue was due to the inability to pay bills, you’re just showing your ignorance.

If you were able to pay your bills and you were profitable until the end, as you've stated, then you certainly have no legal justification to have unilaterally breached your contracts with your customers, simply because the business was no longer worth your time and investment. As you've never legally filed for bankruptcy, your debts for failure to render the services your customers paid you for, means you are legally indebted to every one of your customers. And as the customer paid for a 12 month contract and you failed to deliver what they paid for and you contractually agreed to, they are legally entitled to a full refund for the contract they paid for but you failed to deliver.

Thanked by 4xvps i12h Pixels greentea
  • PeterPPeterP Member, Host Rep

I'm surprised that he still has the patron provider tag after showing zero remorse for the customers he's screwed over. But it seems money is worth more to the LET admins than their reputation and protecting their users.

@FAT32 @trewq thoughts?