Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scams - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scams

Comments

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

@jbiloh said: It's a figment of Fran's reality distortion field.

Is that a plan I can buy? Like the $2999/year package?

• emghemgh Member
    edited December 2023

Biloh & the guy who ran those 23 hosts

Clearly not the same

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@yoursunny said:
    LET Provider Tag basic FREE

• "Host Rep" tag
    • advertise in MegaThreads only

LET Provider Tag bronze $200/year

• everything in basic, plus
    • post in Offers every 10 days
    • post in Shared Hosting Offers every 10 days
    • thread sinks after 10 days (to be implemented when forum software supports this feature)

LET Provider Tag silver $400/year

• everything in bronze, plus
    • thread does not sink
    • 10 extra votes by AI users in Top Hosts poll

LET Provider Tag gold $800/year

• everything in silver, plus
    • automated thread bumps by AI users asking for double bandwidth
    • negative reviews closed or moved to Offtopic category: 3 included per month, $25/each afterwards
    • bypass provider vetting process for $200 one-time fee

LET Provider Tag platinum $1600/year

• everything in gold, plus
    • guaranteed spot in Top Hosts every year
    • negative reviews deleted: 3 included per month, $50/each afterwards
    • change account creation date to several years ago for $400 one-time fee

LET summer host package $300 for 120 days, must pay in crypto

• bypass provider vetting process
    • 2 threads in Offers
    • negative reviews and LowEndDetectives® posts deleted: 12 included, $5/each afterwards
    • AI generated LowEndBox interview addon: $50
    • AI generated jsg positive review thread addon: $50
    • AI generated LowEndBox TV episode addon: $100
    • live LowEndBox TV episode hosted by Nekki addon: $500

LET Troll Tag $666/year

• cannot create threads
    • cannot be banned
    • existing recipients can keep it for free as long as they receive 666 thanks every year

Reviews from me can't be bought.

Otherwise a funny post (a pleasant exception, thanks!).

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • @wdmg said:

@jbiloh said: Share some details please. This will be entertaining.

I'm just curious if it turns out to be true if you'll be eating those words or will issue a full apology

I'll be eating my popcorn no matter what.
    Also if I remember correctly @Francisco, that shitstorm escapade was around the same time Biloh bought back LET from Deluxe.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@jbiloh said:
    [something]

I'm glad to see that you've recovered and even have some time to post. Maybe a good opportunity to finally respond in my "empty threads" thread.

Good to see you back and well again.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2023

@emgh said: Biloh & the guy who ran those 23 hosts

He looks better with the full beard, that's pretty good. @jbiloh should leave it to the wife to decide, but I think it looks better than the scruff.

Anyway:

There was plenty going on at Deluxe when Jon was there. He says he was just an advisor but He ran their sales department at minimum. He helped Deluxe close down a LOT of racks (basically all the old gear they denied selling? They closed most of those racks racks, they didn't replenish all that much minus whatever Ryzen's Dustin bought).

The IPs' aren't under a 'Deluxe' ORG as of now, but they never were when Deluxe owned CC outright either.

It matters little, I have people to help and dinner to cook.

Enjoy.

EDIT - Embedding the images.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: It matters little, I have people to help and dinner to cook.

Whats for dinner?

Also, do you remember if this was around the time where Biloh took back LET from deluxe or is my memory really that foggy?

• LeviLevi Member
    edited December 2023

Forum unable or rather doesn't want to solve bumping topic madness. So anything more complex is out of a table.

Scams come large part from human nature - greed. Some turk comes here at bf, offers insanity and sheep follows. It can't and it shouldnt be prevented. Fck those idiots.

That's the interesting part of public forum - you must have critical thinking, or at least pay real money to gain experience if you deny the obvious.

Concept of insurance is interesting :) imagine all members pay monthly fee to be reimbursed for scam. Than members have incentive to scam a system. The cycle mutates!

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • emghemgh Member
    edited December 2023

Man this is getting good

Thanks @Francisco

Just want to also note that anonymous Discord chats ≠ the actual truth

We really can’t know

And without knowing who the person telling this stuff in the chat is, we don’t know his/hers incentives for doing so either

Not that I don’t trust Fran, or to downplay his point, but fact remains, it’s not evidence, don’t treat it as such

Thanked by 1host_c

@CheepCluck said: Whats for dinner?

Pork belly! Lets see if I can get the skin to bubble up. I've not had any success yet.

Also, do you remember if this was around the time where Biloh took back LET from deluxe or is my memory really that foggy?

I think the 19 host thing happened prior to that. I figure the LE sites would've maybe been in his severance package, or as he said, he simply bartered a price and bought it with cash.

Francisco

Thanked by 2emgh sillycat
    edited December 2023

@emgh said: Just want to also note that anonymous Discord chats ≠ the actual truth

That's very true, but the person who brought it up to me has always been very reliable and gains little saying otherwise. It lines up with what I and others have discussed before. None of this is new. There was that fellow I'm forgetting about that focused his autism to make a full report showing all the posts for those 19 hosts, how often, etc. They made up something like 90%+ of all posts to LEB over however many months.

Jarland said it best, a lot of the people that used to care more about the 'community' side have since left, or have turned from that to purely selling their MXRoute OF subs hosting.

I don't post here all that much, and there's many others of the old guard that aren't here either. I'm sure for Namecrane we'll post offers and buy a sub, if possible. It'd be a purely transactional thing though, and I expect no posts outside of whatever offers get made.

Francisco

Thanked by 2emgh sillycat
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jsg said:

@yoursunny said:
    AI generated jsg positive review thread addon: $50

Reviews from me can't be bought.

It's AI generated topic, posted with jsg account.
    The thread is invisible to a browser logged in as jsg account.
    Example: hostdoc, NexusBytes, EntryBytes, HostSolutions

• What was the latest scam?

• @Francisco said:

@dahartigan said: @jbiloh looking back on previously banned exit scammers/deadpooled folks, could you say that you can see the writing on the wall even with the advantage of hindsight?

So, here's the funny one that i'm sure you and others will enjoy.

You remember that 23 host provider that disappeared one winter some years ago that I keep harping about?

The rumor thats been going around since around the time of the HostPapa buy out, is that was actually Biloh's, and someone elses, operation. Deluxe had found out and things went bad, quick. That's what i've heard from more than 1 person so far.

These big scams have been pointed out before, but in the end it drives traffic. The cucio stuff was huge threads non stop. The hxservers, hiformance, the list goes on and on.

Francisco

innocent until proven guilty!

@cybertech said: innocent until proven guilty!

Yep.

The story is that since Deluxe is a public company, you can request this information from them and they'll provide it. That's where he (supposedly) got it.

@dosai said: What was the latest scam?

hxservers was the latest 'big bad' I think. There's that current turk host that's questionable, and I think there's some others.

Francisco

Thanked by 2dosai sillycat
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited December 2023

@SirFoxy said:
    Lol, offering the ability to advertise for free (host rep), and the ability to advertise for $200 per year isn’t a real attempt at monetization.

Provider tags help pay for necessary expenses that revolve around running a site like this.

Businesses are paying $16 per month and making thousands, even million dollar businesses off of the traffic generated on this platform.

The idea @jbiloh is just sitting back and getting rich off of provider tags and is letting anyone in isn’t true, but afaik the approval process is changing a bit.

Though, more restrictions are a catch-22 as the LowEndCulture is all about seeking bottom of the barrel deals, which tend to come with headaches. Anybody that wanted the smoothest experience would just go to AWS.

That said, I suggested requiring all providers submit company registration and address information, and keeping it publicly viewable for the community.

no offense, how much were you paid to write this good piece

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
    edited December 2023

@Francisco your source is feeding you bad information.

@Francisco said: He looks better with the full beard, that's pretty good. @jbiloh should leave it to the wife to decide, but I think it looks better than the scruff.

Noted that you're a fan of the grizzly look.

@Francisco said: There was plenty going on at Deluxe when Jon was there. He says he was just an advisor but He ran their sales department at minimum. He helped Deluxe close down a LOT of racks (basically all the old gear they denied selling? They closed most of those racks racks, they didn't replenish all that much minus whatever Ryzen's Dustin bought).

As an advisor I did not have a title and no one reported to me. I did not run their sales department but I did help where I could in many different areas. I took pride in any of the areas I worked on or in.

The story about me helping Deluxe close down racks is not true. There was a lot of physical server growth over the years.

@Francisco said: The IPs' aren't under a 'Deluxe' ORG as of now, but they never were when Deluxe owned CC outright either.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. All of ColoCrossing's IPs conveyed with the sale in 2018 to Deluxe. All the ColoCrossing IPs conveyed with the sale in 2023 to HostPapa.

@Francisco said: I think the 19 host thing happened prior to that. I figure the LE sites would've maybe been in his severance package, or as he said, he simply bartered a price and bought it with cash.

I never received a severance because I worked at ColoCrossing/Deluxe up until the day the business was sold to HostPapa in June 2023. I was asked to stay at HostPapa, and I'm still there! :)

The hosting conglomerate (that marketed a couple dozen brands), which purchased services from ColoCrossing and other datacenters went belly up in the fall of 2019. That predated my purchasing LowEndBox and LowEndTalk from Deluxe in 2020. I've said before that the exposure that the conglomerate got on LowEndBox was a bad outcome, and that it was disappointing to see some customers who prepaid for services get hurt. ColoCrossing kept the services of that conglomerate online for a while to help customers get their data, which was a nice gesture. I had zero involvement in that conglomerate directly or indirectly of any way shape or form.

@Francisco said: That's very true, but the person who brought it up to me has always been very reliable and gains little saying otherwise.

Well your friend/source is giving you information that is incorrect, and in some cases clearly disprovable, so consider that when weighing the veracity of what they share in the future.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

Caveat emptor

• Can someone summary all the long texts/comments. ?

• @bikrama said:
    Can someone summary all the long texts/comments. ?

The discussion in the forum posts revolves around concerns of scams and vetting processes within a web hosting community. Key points include:

1. Scamming Concerns: Members express worry about the increase in scams and debate potential solutions, such as raising the provider tag fee or implementing scam insurance paid for by these fees.

2. Vetting Providers: There's a suggestion to vet providers more rigorously to ensure the reliability of services offered. The conversation also touches on the idea that the community used to be more proactive in identifying and dealing with scammers.

3. Provider Tag System and Costs: The conversation includes details about different levels of provider tags, their costs, and associated privileges. This system seems to be a way to regulate and monetize the posting of offers by providers in the community.

4. Role of Community and Administration: Some members express dissatisfaction with the current state of the community, feeling that it has shifted from a community-focused group to a more business-oriented one. There's also concern about the administrators' role in managing scams and vetting providers.

5. Scam Insurance Concept: The idea of scam insurance as a protection for members against scams is discussed, with suggestions on how it could be funded and managed.

6. Historical Perspective: Long-time members reminisce about how the community previously handled scams and how newer members react differently to these issues.

7. Speculation and Rumors: The posts include speculations and rumors about past incidents and actions of certain community members or administrators, reflecting a sense of mistrust or uncertainty about the community's direction and management.

Overall, the posts reflect a community grappling with issues of trust, vetting, and the balance between fostering a supportive community and managing a business platform.

• _MS__MS_ Member
    edited December 2023

@Francisco said:
    There was that fellow I'm forgetting about that focused his autism to make a full report showing all the posts for those 19 hosts, how often, etc. They made up something like 90%+ of all posts to LEB over however many months.

I think it was SCAM_DONT_BUY
    https://lowendtalk.com/profile/scam_dont_buy

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

I miss Dr. Mike / buffalooed / pubcrawler

• MS said:

@Francisco said:
    There was that fellow I'm forgetting about that focused his autism to make a full report showing all the posts for those 19 hosts, how often, etc. They made up something like 90%+ of all posts to LEB over however many months.

Is it legal to ban autists?

• @Francisco said: Jarland said it best, a lot of the people that used to care more about the 'community' side have since left, or have turned from that to purely selling their MXRoute OF subs hosting.

There's no benefit (or very little benefit) to posting high quality content here (i.e. scam investigations, etc.).

(I'm no saint in that regard.)

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited December 2023

So it's pretty much a case of either we need that SCAM_DONT_BUY dude back here (or someone like him) to be scam detective, or we just accept that scammers are gonna sell their turkey chickens at this particular wet market. Or both?

Scammers be like:

老板的新跑车靠你们了
    I need to buy a new sports car. You fools, give me the money quickly

(stolen from virmach.rip)

mjj takes the subway to work every day, and rides a small electric donkey to deliver food. The fat man earns enough money to buy a sports car
    Boss vir's new sports car is broken, so all mjj chicks are still pending

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @LTniger said:

MS said:

@Francisco said:

No, but calling out the scammers is, maybe.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@yoursunny said: LET Troll Tag $666/year

cannot create threads

cannot be banned
    existing recipients can keep it for free as long as they receive 666 thanks every year

I think you meant 666 pushups via video every year... :D

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • emghemgh Member
    edited December 2023

MS said:

@LTniger said:

MS said:

@Francisco said:

No, but calling out the scammers is, maybe.

Tbh, I doubt it

I like bashing on mods just as much as the next guy

No, but seriously, just recently, I’ve:

• Asked @Arkas if there’s an official reason why William is allowed to scam
    • Quoted @raindog308 saying that his way of counting LEB offers exit-scam rate isn’t very honest in the way it’s being calculated
    • Replied to @jbiloh when he said that the above calculation showed that LEB audits are working, explaining why it dosen’t show that at all

Also, just the small thing above with Biloh with a mustache being his scam-persona would have gotten me a warning on WHT and other places.

And I’m all good. Zero warnings. I’ve never had a warning, not under this ownership.

Many years ago, back when HostMantis was relevant, I got perma-banned without any warning. Long story, but I believe it was because I pointed out in a helpdesk request that as they didn’t offer server hosting, they shouldn’t even be allowed in the first place, and it was easier to just ban me.

Anyway, different mods, different admins, different owner.

I’ve said many times that one of the few things that will make me leave would be if the moderation becomes too much, so far, I haven’t noticed that it is.

Tl;dr: Honesly, I’ve been warned on other large forums in minutes from joining, I don’t think LET users fully understand how free this place is compared to most other forums that there is.

Thanked by 1_MS_
  • Paging Detective @tsoft