Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft is Turning Windows Into an Advertising Platform
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft is Turning Windows Into an Advertising Platform

Most of you are probably aware of this. I have personally ditched all M$ products long time ago, last good windows in my eyes is 7(xp being the best).

Thanked by 2DataRecovery default

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2023

That is no wonder, but I would expect it to be come free as well due to that.
    However, people will always strip down the junk and learn in the process.
    My days of creating lite ISOs of XP are well behind me, but it certainly taught me a few things, there are many kids these days modding 10 and 11 as well as clean-up tools. For as long as windows is a paid product, those things cannot be illegal.

All that being said, the more adoption and traction that FOSS products get, the better, so, let Microsoft sell tiers of its OS, add-free for companies at exorbitant prices and a free edition for the masses, full of ads. It is our choice, they don't really force it on you and it is not like there is no alternative.

• These can be disabled by GPO.

• @treesmokah said:
    last good windows in my eyes is 7(xp being the best).

I fully agree, just the second part is vice versa IMO - 7 is better than XP.
    Afterwards the OS quality went downhill.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2023

@DataRecovery said:

@treesmokah said:
    last good windows in my eyes is 7(xp being the best).

I fully agree, just the second part is vice versa IMO - 7 is better than XP.
    Afterwards the OS quality went downhill.

TinyXP is the best, 7 also was good. they were the Last windows where the owner/user had control and could lock down the system - I used to use Zonealarm and anything that shouldn't be connecting to the internet was blocked. Now no chance of doing anything like that with MS Windoze spyware 10.

• bvgfao40723bvgfao40723 Member
    edited May 2023

Do not agree with the upstairs view, Windows 11 is significantly better than the previous generations of Windows in all aspects. Windows 7 can't even animate at 60 fps.

Thanked by 3risharde ooowwww Dazzle
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited May 2023

Recently upgraded to 11 pro and it's been really great and I think there was an option to switch off ads if I have not mistaken. I an however using this Window machine with a 5600G processor and 16 GB ram and nvme disk so one would expect it to fly. The deep integration with cloud storage has been my main reason to stick with it.

• kaitkait Member

Windows in general is a dumpster fire. 2023 is the year of the linux ooperating system.

Thanked by 1MrH
  • emghemgh Member

@kait said:
    Windows in general is a dumpster fire. 2023 is the year of the linux ooperating system.

Lmao

Thanked by 2darkimmortal iKeyZ
  • emghemgh Member

Meanwhile everywhere else: ”What’s Linux? Isn’t that the code thing?”

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • davidedavide Member
    edited May 2023

There's no comparison between Windows and Linux. MS Office alone is 350 million lines of code, is faster and has superior integration that anything Linux could ever offer. In comparison Libre office is a java CPU hog (ahah, did you get the joke? Java!!!) that crashes and corrupts the document whenever it is used for anything more that writing a Christmas letter. Anyone who claims that LO works just fine has never ever used it for work. It's like a Chinese product from Aliexpress: it looks like what you expect it to be, but then explodes unapologetically when you actually try use it for a real job.

Thanked by 1mrTom
    edited May 2023

@davide said:
    There's no comparison between Windows and Linux. MS Office alone is 350 million lines of code, is faster and has superior integration that anything Linux could ever offer. In comparison Libre office is a java CPU hog (ahah, did you get the joke? Java!!!) that crashes and corrupts the document whenever it is used for anything more that writing a Christmas letter. Anyone who claims that LO works just fine has never ever used it for work. It's like a Chinese product from Aliexpress: it looks like what you expect it to be, but then explodes unapologetically when you actually try use it for a real job.

100%. Linux is a joke. Super price, much wow. Then bang.

But recent M$ Windoze is getting annoying and bloated. Imaged my new windoze 10 install and it's 40GB, that's just the base with no programs installed???? Probably all the spyware they package with it.

I remember when I used to image my XP installs and it used to be around 0.7GB!

Thanked by 1hvedar13
  • @asterisk14 said: I remember when I used to image my XP installs and it used to be around 0.7GB!

FCKGW-RHQQ2.....

Thanked by 2Dazzle MrH
  • defaultdefault Veteran

Avoid Windows! I know it is hard because of gaming, but it needs to be avoided.

• emghemgh Member
    edited May 2023

Avoiding Windows, especially if avoiding MacOS too, is like avoiding breathing.

I just watched the video too, and I’m not impressed.

Obviously, user data helps Microsoft build a better product.

Does it help them monetize you too? Hell yeah.

Also, asking the user for feedback is not a substitute for tracking user data, mostly because users don’t know what they want.

There’s several examples of user surveys indicating the opposite of a simple A/B test, it did so even for our clients (worked at an SEO agency that did conversion optimization).

Some OK-ish points though.

• sreekanth850sreekanth850 Member
    edited May 2023

@davide said:

I had worked with Java based app in my previous firm and it was all nightmare. And when compared to .net core, its far behind in terms of ease of use, with VS ecosystem and nuget package repository. Also i have never seen a perfect replacement for MS Office, Visual Studio, and even adobe photoshop.

• @Don_Keedic said:

@asterisk14 said: I remember when I used to image my XP installs and it used to be around 0.7GB!

FCKGW-RHQQ2.....

What?

• sreekanth850sreekanth850 Member
    edited May 2023

@asterisk14 said:

@davide said:

100%. Linux is a joke. Super price, much wow. Then bang.

But recent M$ Windoze is getting annoying and bloated. Imaged my new windoze 10 install and it's 40GB, that's just the base with no programs installed???? Probably all the spyware they package with it.

I remember when I used to image my XP installs and it used to be around 0.7GB!

Definitely its costly, why? They spend millions in research and development and they own it. And not like many opensource projects, when the original creator loose the interest suddenly abandon the project breaking many dependent project. Just like this, because nobody owns it.
    https://www.theregister.com/2016/03/23/npm_left_pad_chaos/

• emghemgh Member

By the way, I watched the video. I don’t like it

@asterisk14 said:

@Don_Keedic said:

@asterisk14 said: I remember when I used to image my XP installs and it used to be around 0.7GB!

FCKGW-RHQQ2.....

What?

A code that worked for XP, basically unlimited times, until it was suspended.

Rather, the start of it.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@emgh said:

Also, asking the user for feedback is not a substitute for tracking user data, mostly because users don’t know what they want.

There’s several examples of user surveys indicating the opposite of a simple A/B test, it did so even for our clients (worked at an SEO agency that did conversion optimization).

You can spend 3 hours on Linux to do something that took 10 minutes on Windows or Mac because 2 hours and 50 minutes of doing it on Linux is spent trying to configure everything so your software works.

Thanked by 2emgh DataRecovery
  • jlet88jlet88 Member

Like most click-bait poorly-reasoned YouTube content, the video is filled with weak arguments, assumptions, incomplete thoughts, and more importantly, doesn't really explain why the related issues might (or might NOT) be important to someone. And there's no way this thread will answer those questions because the premise is already so off target.

And then people will just cite tiny little examples to support their positions on either side, mixed in with some insults, or better yet, grandiose pronouncements, and then this thread will lead exactly nowhere.

The bottom line is that most people who have switched from Windows to Linux on the desktop, for example, know exactly why they switched. But the very people most likely to explain it well are the least likely to spend the time to do so, mainly because they're busy getting other shit done in life, and they realize that a really great answer to the question ALWAYS requires discussing the CONTEXT of why they switched. And that takes a lot time to write well. They know that their reasons will be totally unique to their work, their lives, and their personal experiences. And they know there is no one answer to the question.

So you can't argue someone into switching OSes. It's silly and leads to unnecessary frustration and keyboard smashing.

If you want to stick with Windows, stick with Windows. Life will go on, and you have your reasons. If you want to dump Windows, then dump Windows. You'll know why. And you don't need to defend it or explain it to anyone.

Cheers! No offense intended to anyone. Hope you all have a great day!

Thanked by 4emgh Arkas emg MrH
  • @jlet88 said:
    Like most click-bait poorly-reasoned YouTube content, the video is filled with weak arguments, assumptions, incomplete thoughts, and more importantly, doesn't really explain why the related issues might (or might NOT) be important to someone. And there's no way this thread will answer those questions because the premise is already so off target.

And then people will just cite tiny little examples to support their positions on either side, mixed in with some insults, or better yet, grandiose pronouncements, and then this thread will lead exactly nowhere.

The bottom line is that most people who have switched from Windows to Linux on the desktop, for example, know exactly why they switched. But the very people most likely to explain it well are the least likely to spend the time to do so, mainly because they're busy getting other shit done in life, and they realize that a really great answer to the question ALWAYS requires discussing the CONTEXT of why they switched. And that takes a lot time to write well. They know that their reasons will be totally unique to their work, their lives, and their personal experiences. And they know there is no one answer to the question.

So you can't argue someone into switching OSes. It's silly and leads to unnecessary frustration and keyboard smashing.

If you want to stick with Windows, stick with Windows. Life will go on, and you have your reasons. If you want to dump Windows, then dump Windows. You'll know why. And you don't need to defend it or explain it to anyone.

Cheers! No offense intended to anyone. Hope you all have a great day!

Absolutely, we should use what works well in our context. Its not like bashing windows. No single thing fits all use cases. I use windows for my day today job and its pretty easy for me to get the shits done. Where as for servers I use Linux as it can reduce the overall cost, gives me more resource for less amount spent, and improve the security and enhance the overall performance. Use what works well for each use case. Dead Simple.

• why OP @treesmokah got banned?

• Because of his antisemitism post

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@asterisk14 said:
    why OP @treesmokah got banned?

this is a kosher community

• ArkasArkas Moderator

I deploy a different platform depending on my use case. I have a laptop running Debian+KDE, I have an M1 Mac mini, and a windows laptop running W11.
    I render my videos on the M1, I access my servers and run WP and what is needed on Linux, and for an all around every day-use platform, I use W11.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@SirFoxy said: You can spend 3 hours on Linux to do something that took 10 minutes on Windows or Mac because 2 hours and 50 minutes of doing it on Linux is spent trying to configure everything so your software works.

...but FREEDOM.

• @SirFoxy said:

@emgh said:

You can spend 3 hours on Linux to do something that took 10 minutes on Windows or Mac because 2 hours and 50 minutes of doing it on Linux is spent trying to configure everything so your software works.

That can be solved with the get good update

edited May 2023

@ole_hansen said:
    Because of his antisemitism post

But constant racism like calling Russians "Orcs" and encouraging their killing is OK in a thread in this forum? https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3656577#Comment_3656577

@SirFoxy said:

@asterisk14 said:
    why OP @treesmokah got banned?

this is a kosher community

Looks like the mods did a "shut it down" on @treesmokah

Thanked by 1DataRecovery
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@asterisk14 said: But constant racism like calling Russians "Orcs" and encouraging their killing is OK in a thread in this forum? https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3656577#Comment_3656577

That thread exists for a specific reason. All sides say all sorts of disturbing things.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emgemg Veteran
    edited May 2023

@asterisk14 said:
    What?

It is the start of a well-known Windows XP product key. Like you, I do not get the joke.

. . . . .

This is a specific case of a huge general problem where advertising is creeping into every space and opportunity it can find. I live in the US. Here are two examples that have bothered me lately:

HD FM Radio -
    Graphics ads are now being displayed on the screen in my car. The ads come through the "Artist Experience" digital stream which is part of the HD FM radio broadcast specification.

In my car, the ads are 2x6 inches (5x15 cm) on the 4x8 inch (10x20 cm) screen. It is like having a lighted billboard inside the car.

Yes, I know there are alternatives to radio. Yes, I can adjust settings. If I disable the display, then I lose song titles and artist names which are embedded in that same stream. I can also disable HD and revert to analog FM radio. I believe that analog FM radio has only a text channel for song and artist. If I do that, I sacrifice the digital sub-channels that do not have analog counterparts.

TiVo -
    We have had a TiVo digital video recorder (DVR) for a long time. Over the years, we have seen TiVo injecting ads more and more into the user interface. They use their messaging system to send ad messages, and have updated their software to force you to look at the ad message before you can access the user interface. This is very similar to the objections of the guy in the video about Microsoft and ads in Windows.

General Comments about the Video in the Original Post -
    The video made some good points, but was clearly biased. The author exaggerated some examples to emphasize the message, and I do not agree with everything that was said, but I agree that we all should be unhappy with the intrusiveness of ads in Windows (and elsewhere). Welcome to a new age.

Free Speech vs. Imposed Speech -
    Free speech is not the same as imposed speech. In my opinion, you have the right to say whatever you want, but you do not have the right to impose it on me or force me to listen. This is the same issue with spam, especially phone calls. You can stand on the street corner and say whatever you want, but you cannot stop me from walking away. You do not have the right to call me and interrupt my day any more than you have the right to drag me to your street corner to listen before I can walk away.

Note: The term "imposed speech" is my own. I made it up for this post. Hopefully the meaning is clear.

Thanked by 1cxg