Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft is Turning Windows Into an Advertising Platform - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft is Turning Windows Into an Advertising Platform

Comments

• @Arkas said:

@asterisk14 said: But constant racism like calling Russians "Orcs" and encouraging their killing is OK in a thread in this forum? https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3656577#Comment_3656577

That thread exists for a specific reason. All sides say all sorts of disturbing things.

From your posts in that thread you're hardly impartial to say the least!

And is it OK to be racist in some threads on here but not in others or against one group/race but not others?

• kasodkkasodk Barred
    edited May 2023

@asterisk14 said:

@Arkas said:

@asterisk14 said: But constant racism like calling Russians "Orcs" and encouraging their killing is OK in a thread in this forum? https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3656577#Comment_3656577

That thread exists for a specific reason. All sides say all sorts of disturbing things.

And is it OK to be racist in some threads on here but not in others or against one group/race but not others?

As a start, @Arkas can ban @asterisk14 for calling Polish people Nazis.
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3655038/#Comment_3655038

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@kasodk said:

@asterisk14 said:

@Arkas said:

As a start, @Arkas can ban @asterisk14 for calling Polish people Nazis.
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3655038/#Comment_3655038

@Arkas could probably clarify if it's temp or perm for starters.

Also, not sure it matters but I'm like 99% sure @treesmokah was @tinyweasel anyways.

Thanked by 2Arkas emgh
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@SirFoxy said: @Arkas could probably clarify if it's temp or perm for starters.

At this point you can consider it a permanent ban. If someone needs a reason, just take 10 minutes and go through his posts.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited May 2023

@Arkas said:

It’s understandable more is allowed there compared to other threads

Moderating that thread like the rest of the forum would be more than a full-time job

• Russia / Russians is not a race.

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • you know that most windows systems out there are free very few pay for they liscenses and yet they never force you to buy one, a few subtle ads are acceptable. If you are annoyed that much you can disable them very easily.. no one can argue that as much as we love linux windows is still the best operating system out there nothing comes close unless you are a "pro" 😅 ie video editor who doesnt know how to use anything outside finalcut then you will say mac which truly is a dumb linux system

• emghemgh Member

@Croissant said:
    you know that most windows systems out there are free very few pay for they liscenses and yet they never force you to buy one, a few subtle ads are acceptable. If you are annoyed that much you can disable them very easily.. no one can argue that as much as we love linux windows is still the best operating system out there nothing comes close unless you are a "pro" 😅 ie video editor who doesnt know how to use anything outside finalcut then you will say mac which truly is a dumb linux system

MacOS might have been that a few years ago, not anymore.

Combined with the efficiency of the M1/M2, the whole experience beats a Windows-based laptop for A LOT of people.

M1/M2 is ARM, and it’s working GREAT. Windows just isn’t fully there yet.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Isn't everything turning into an advertisement platform

Thanked by 2emg PineappleM
  • CroissantCroissant Member
    edited May 2023

@emgh said:

@Croissant said:
    you know that most windows systems out there are free very few pay for they liscenses and yet they never force you to buy one, a few subtle ads are acceptable. If you are annoyed that much you can disable them very easily.. no one can argue that as much as we love linux windows is still the best operating system out there nothing comes close unless you are a "pro" 😅 ie video editor who doesnt know how to use anything outside finalcut then you will say mac which truly is a dumb linux system

Combined with the efficiency of the M1/M2, the whole experience beats a Windows-based laptop for A LOT of people.

i'll have to disagree with you right there arm chips are indeed good with their integrated media encoders that are well optimised for their tasks, but trust me they cant run 90% of the software out there without translation and performance sucks not to mention 3D work ,enterprise mission critical stuff and embedded systems it simply doesnt work its lacking so much... yea sure it is efficient and has good battery life but it is just good for the regular user..i am talking about Operating systems in general windows can do everything, almost all mission critical systems are ran on windows servers windows embedded or linux of course.. if windows cease to exist most factories banks hek even mission control in nasa will stop working if mac disappears tommorow no one will notice but a few delayed youtube video uploads, there is a reason macos is only used by 6% of people and the statistic is not counting custom systems and pirated windows versions... linux is a beast on its own but sadly it is not mainstream and lacks so much for the regular daily user

• emgemg Veteran

@armandorg said:

My point exactly. Thank you.

• @emg said:
    TiVo -

Is that ads shown instead of paying monthly subscription fee, or in addition to paying a monthly fee?

I'm fine with ads to support free use, but subscription AND ads needs to be killed with fire.

• somiksomik Member

@emg said:

@armandorg said:

My point exactly. Thank you.

Congrats, you get a free VPS.

TOS:

• emgemg Veteran

@TimboJones said [Asking about TiVo]:
    Is that ads shown instead of paying monthly subscription fee, or in addition to paying a monthly fee?

I'm fine with ads to support free use, but subscription AND ads needs to be killed with fire.

I suspect that the TiVo ads apply to everyone. We always upgraded TiVo units to lifetime subscription plans, so I would not know whether monthly subscribers get an ad free experience. I doubt it. In addition, I suspect that most TiVo units were bought with the lifetime plan.

I wonder how many people besides us still watch over-the-air television broadcasts these days? When TiVo came out just over 20 years ago, it caused a paradigm shift in how people watched video entertainment. We have TiVo primarily because our less technical family members know the TiVo UI and like it. It is an old technology that I would not recommend to anyone today. TiVo has been in decline for a long time. Internet streaming has supplanted it, although TiVo is trying to stay relevant in that new market.

-> The real issue with TiVo and practically every other device you buy is that you own the hardware, but only license the software on it. The manufacturer can change the functionality of the software whenever they wish. They can inject new advertising functionality into your device unilaterally, without your consent or approval. True, you agreed to the 200 pages of license terms, which you read through a 2x2 cm box on the screen.

Our "Neanderthal" evolved minds have difficulty grasping that you own the rock in your hands, but not what it does, and some far remote person can change or disable your rock without your consent. Heck, they can make it so if your rock breaks, you are not allowed to fix it yourself. :-(

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited May 2023

@emgh said:

@Croissant said:

M1/M2 chip efficiency to power consumption ratio is where it really shines. The power is impressive, but the ratio is what's truly impressive.

• emgemg Veteran

@SirFoxy said:

M1/M2 chip efficiency to power consumption ratio is where it really shines. The power is impressive, but the ratio is what's truly impressive.

... and that was a major motivation for Apple to switch away from Intel. According to the stories I read at the time, Intel could not keep up with Apple's requirements for processor power efficiency, including the pipeline of future Intel processors on the drawing boards.

• emgemg Veteran

@somik said:

TOS:

I am honored, but I decline. Someone else can accept the prize on my behalf.

By the way, that Million Dollar Home Page was quirky and interesting. Somehow I missed it when it was a phenomenon a long time ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Million_Dollar_Homepage

• somiksomik Member

@emg said:

@somik said:

TOS:

I am honored, but I decline. Someone else can accept the prize on my behalf.

By the way, that Million Dollar Home Page was quirky and interesting. Somehow I missed it when it was a phenomenon a long time ago.

Ya, it took me a while to find it too. Fun idea! I'm surprised that they actually sold all pixles...

• emgemg Veteran

@somik said:

Ya, it took me a while to find it too. Fun idea! I'm surprised that they actually sold all pixles...

Only the first person who thought of it. The copycats who followed did not do as well. Read the Wikipedia article about it.

Thanked by 1somik
  • asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2023

@emg said:

@TimboJones said [Asking about TiVo]:

I suspect that the TiVo ads apply to everyone. We always upgraded TiVo units to lifetime subscription plans, so I would not know whether monthly subscribers get an ad free experience. I doubt it. In addition, I suspect that most TiVo units were bought with the lifetime plan.

I wonder how many people besides us still watch over-the-air television broadcasts these days? When TiVo came out just over 20 years ago, it caused a paradigm shift in how people watched video entertainment. We have TiVo primarily because our less technical family members know the TiVo UI and like it. It is an old technology that I would not recommend to anyone today. TiVo has been in decline for a long time. Internet streaming has supplanted it, although TiVo is trying to stay relevant in that new market.

-> The real issue with TiVo and practically every other device you buy is that you own the hardware, but only license the software on it. The manufacturer can change the functionality of the software whenever they wish. They can inject new advertising functionality into your device unilaterally, without your consent or approval. True, you agreed to the 200 pages of license terms, which you read through a 2x2 cm box on the screen.

Our "Neanderthal" evolved minds have difficulty grasping that you own the rock in your hands, but not what it does, and some far remote person can change or disable your rock without your consent. Heck, they can make it so if your rock breaks, you are not allowed to fix it yourself. :-(

I bought a couple of NOW TV boxes (which were based on Roku LT) from kosher Sky UK run by Rupert Murdoch, which could run Plex like a standard Roku box. A few years later Sky sent an "update" and totally disabled these boxes for all customers without any real explanation. I think they wanted people to buy they more locked down sticks, but it really pissed me off, so much so that I will never by anything where the manufacturer controls the device and could disable it anytime they want. I paid cash money so I think for them to then be able to destroy that thing is really bad.

Thanked by 1emg
  • @SirFoxy said: Also, not sure it matters but I'm like 99% sure @treesmokah was @tinyweasel anyways.

Happy to be 1%.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited May 2023

@treesmokah said:

@SirFoxy said: Also, not sure it matters but I'm like 99% sure @treesmokah was @tinyweasel anyways.

Happy to be 1%.

It's funny bc I said to Jon and Raindog "even though he's super fucking annoying and constantly shits on everything I do you should still unban him just tell him to calm down on the jew shit" about you like the day you got banned, then Jon was like "he gets unbanned at the end of the month."

And would you look at that... it's the end of the month, lmao.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2023

@SirFoxy said:

@treesmokah said:

@SirFoxy said: Also, not sure it matters but I'm like 99% sure @treesmokah was @tinyweasel anyways.

Happy to be 1%.

It's funny bc I said to Jon and Raindog "even though he's super fucking annoying and constantly shits on everything I do you should still unban him just tell him to calm down on the jew shit" about you like the day you got banned, then Jon was like "he gets unbanned at the end of the month."

Or maybe we can have a "jew shit" thread on LET to post anti-semitic or pro-semitic stuff much like the Russia/Ukraine thread where anti-Russian racism is tolerated and even encouraged by some mods.

• @asterisk14 said:

@SirFoxy said:

@treesmokah said:

Happy to be 1%.

Or maybe we can have a "jew shit" thread on LET to post anti-semitic or pro-semitic stuff much like the Russia/Ukraine thread where anti-Russian racism is tolerated and even encouraged by some mods.

You're such a whiny cunt. I imagine I'm not the first to tell you that if you live in the UK.

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • @asterisk14 said:

@SirFoxy said:

@treesmokah said:

Happy to be 1%.

what the fuck bro?

• If you've ditched Microsoft products altogether, what have you moved on to? Many are going for Linux distros for the sake of control and security. Would love to hear your thoughts.

• @YaliSmith said:
    If you've ditched Microsoft products altogether, what have you moved on to? Many are going for Linux distros for the sake of control and security. Would love to hear your thoughts.

They don't. They run VM windows and then post about how they have a Linux machine when they don't need to run the VM lol

• i used to be a long time windows user, till i moved to linux and learned you can do everything in it and some things even better on linux

• Garuda Linux <3

• @YaliSmith said:
    If you've ditched Microsoft products altogether, what have you moved on to? Many are going for Linux distros for the sake of control and security. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I ditched windows a while ago (not because of this, windows was fucking up too much in general) and switched to debian. Dont have any regrets and i dont use VMs either, all the games i play are also available on debian so thats cool too