Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended Registrars?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommended Registrars?

After having fun with Epik, I'm looking to abandon ship.

Does the community have any recommendations that isn't google, cloudflare, namesilo, porkbun or namecheap? I don't need any bells and whistles, just need to be able to set custom nameservers and free WHOIS would be great. US based would be preferred.

Thanked by 1KatAdventurer

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Don_Keedic said: Does the community have any recommendations that isn't google, cloudflare, namesilo, porkbun or namecheap?

I use those you've listed as well but my primary registrar is Dynadot.

Thanked by 2KatAdventurer TimRoo
  • @DP said:

@Don_Keedic said: Does the community have any recommendations that isn't google, cloudflare, namesilo, porkbun or namecheap?

Dynadot was #1 on my list but just wanted to make sure I wasn't jumping from one shit show to another. Had no idea everything that was going on with Epik!

@Don_Keedic said:

@DP said:

Dynadot was #1 on my list but just wanted to make sure I wasn't jumping from one shit show to another. Had no idea everything that was going on with Epik!

I don't recall anything funny or shady with Dynadot over the years so you should be fine :smiley:

• sav.com
    cosmotown.com

Thanked by 1Don_Keedic
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@Don_Keedic said:
    After having fun with Epik, I'm looking to abandon ship.

Does the community have any recommendations that isn't google, cloudflare, namesilo, porkbun or namecheap? I don't need any bells and whistles, just need to be able to set custom nameservers and free WHOIS would be great. US based would be preferred.

Both Cosmotown.com and Sav.com are without bells or whistles, and they're US-based. (I've used both and haven't had a significant issue so far)

Thanked by 1Don_Keedic
  • @DP said:

@Don_Keedic said:

@DP said:

I don't recall anything funny or shady with Dynadot over the years so you should be fine :smiley:

Went ahead and pulled the trigger. Looks good to go!

Thanks for the recommendation @DP - really appreciate it! Now I'll finally be able to relax knowing that my domain isn't going to float off into the aether of Epik

Thanked by 1DP
  • @silicomnet @angstrom

Thank you guys for the recommendations! I'll keep these in mind for the future.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@Don_Keedic said:
    @silicomnet @angstrom

Thank you guys for the recommendations! I'll keep these in mind for the future.

@silicomnet beat me to it!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

namecrane...soon :|

Francisco

@Francisco said:

Francisco

• sandozsandoz Veteran

EasyDNS

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2023

I use cosmotown for about half my domains and while it’s got a slow panel it’s generally the cheapest for .com and .net and has free Whois privacy

I also use sav

• winerwiner Member

sav.com only edit and submit 4 dns servers address

• Godaddy

• @bamboo4409 said:
    Godaddy

I swear I'm not the dude that ran over your dog.

That's the only reason I could ever imagine anyone ever recommending GoDaddy to another person for anything. Payback.

Thanked by 3Kassem kuticon Plioser
  • DynaDot all the way. Moving from Namesilo, and PorkBun.

• emgemg Veteran

@bamboo4409 said:
    Godaddy

-> Avoid GoDaddy. Run away as quickly as you can. Why anyone would recommend GoDaddy is beyond my understanding.

-> Avoid AIT and AITdomains. I do not recommend them, based on my own experiences with them.

I have had good experiences with Gandi and Cloudflare, but they do not meet the @Don_Keedic's criteria:

Gandi is expensive and is headquartered in France. During the time that I used them (~10 years), they created a separate US subsidiary that falls under US law. I was given a choice to remain with the original French company or move my domains to the US subsidiary under US law. I chose the latter.

Cloudflare was rejected by the OP in the original post. I moved my domains from AIT and Gandi to Cloudflare last summer (2022). Cloudflare has restrictions for customers using their free accounts. (You must use their DNS and have a private whois record.) In return, Cloudflare offers domain registrations and renewals at their wholesale cost with zero profit.

• take a look on tld-list.com for different tlds' registrars

Thanked by 1jignes_k
  • jamzjamz Member

All my domains are with Dynadot. I just set nameservers and forget about it for a year. Conveniently, they have Apple Pay, so I don't even have to store my card with them.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Does Dynadot have any advantages over namecheap?

• @febryanvaldo said:
    DynaDot all the way. Moving from Namesilo, and PorkBun.

Thank you! Looks like I went the right way on that decision.

@emg said: -> Avoid GoDaddy. Run away as quickly as you can. Why anyone would recommend GoDaddy is beyond my understanding.

-> Avoid AIT and AITdomains. I do not recommend them, based on my own experiences with them.

I know, what the hell right? GoDaddy doesn't even like GoDaddy.

Never heard of AIT (Outside of a wordpress security plugin, which doesn't look to be related) but just judging off of the quick search results, they're just as your describe.

@chiuyau said:
    take a look on tld-list.com for different tlds' registrars

Someone had posted this up a little earlier but this is really an excellent site for finding deals. Thank you @chiuyau

@jamz said:
    All my domains are with Dynadot. I just set nameservers and forget about it for a year. Conveniently, they have Apple Pay, so I don't even have to store my card with them.

That is exactly what I'm looking for.

I just want to pay my money, get my domain and the next time I even want to have to think about it is come renewal time the following year.

Just so people know why my requirements were the way they were

Namecheap was great for me but ended up getting expensive with the domains I had at that moment in time and it was far more cost effective to go with Namesilo at the time. Now I wouldn't go back due to the hack.

Namesilo ended up being in debt and they sold out to some sketchy company awhile back.

I don't trust Google

I don't trust Cloudflare (and I would want to use a non-cloudflare DNS)

I started looking into PorkBun, that was looking like a winner and was greeted with this

The only cause, if any cause, I'd want my registrar to support is free speech. When businesses start mixing social/political issues (that aren't free speech and especially if it has no direct connection to the business) , I'm a non-client/former client immediately.

Thanked by 2loay Plioser
  • @Arkas said:
    Does Dynadot have any advantages over namecheap?

It's been so long (4+ years) since I've been with Namecheap and so short (less than 24 hours) with Dynadot, I'm probably not the best person to ask.

I can comment on how clean, minimal and fast Dynadot's control panel is. It looks pretty straight to the point and doesn't seem to have any aggravating up-selling ads anywhere in sight. It's looking like exactly what I was hoping it'd be.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • tjntjn Member

@DP said:

Yup same

• What did you think was going to happen when you visited the page for .gay domain?
    https://porkbun.com/tld/gay

Thanked by 1bluehairminerboy
  • @Don_Keedic said:
    The only cause, if any cause, I'd want my registrar to support is free speech. When businesses start mixing social/political issues (that aren't free speech and especially if it has no direct connection to the business) , I'm a non-client/former client immediately.

I think you might have misunderstood, it's a domain extension.

Porkbun is fine, they used to have an amazing price on .win ($1.50/year for multiple years) but now their prices are just so-so.

• Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited March 2023

@neverain said:

What did you think was going to happen when you visited the page for .gay domain?
    https://porkbun.com/tld/gay

It's on their homepage... https://porkbun.com. The images are set on a timer.

@the_doctor said:

@Don_Keedic said:

I think you might have misunderstood, it's a domain extension.

Porkbun is fine, they used to have an amazing price on .win ($1.50/year for multiple years) but now their prices are just so-so.

Ok this makes sense... it's the way they portrayed it on their homepage. They have the word "GAY" with an (RSS?) icon next to it...which doesn't indicate that at all. If it looked like this

it wouldn't haven't even crossed my mind. They're in the business of selling domains, .GAY is a revenue source and they're targeting a specific audience with a marketing campaign..that makes total business sense.

I think this conversation is proof in the pudding of why focus groups are a thing. I'll keep Porkbun in mind for the future (if that is indeed the case..)

Thanked by 2the_doctor bruh21
  • sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited March 2023

@Don_Keedic said:

@febryanvaldo said:
    DynaDot all the way. Moving from Namesilo, and PorkBun.

Thank you! Looks like I went the right way on that decision.

@emg said: -> Avoid GoDaddy. Run away as quickly as you can. Why anyone would recommend GoDaddy is beyond my understanding.

I know, what the hell right? GoDaddy doesn't even like GoDaddy.

Never heard of AIT (Outside of a wordpress security plugin, which doesn't look to be related) but just judging off of the quick search results, they're just as your describe.

@chiuyau said:
    take a look on tld-list.com for different tlds' registrars

Someone had posted this up a little earlier but this is really an excellent site for finding deals. Thank you @chiuyau

@jamz said:

That is exactly what I'm looking for.

I just want to pay my money, get my domain and the next time I even want to have to think about it is come renewal time the following year.

Just so people know why my requirements were the way they were

Namecheap was great for me but ended up getting expensive with the domains I had at that moment in time and it was far more cost effective to go with Namesilo at the time. Now I wouldn't go back due to the hack.

Namesilo ended up being in debt and they sold out to some sketchy company awhile back.

I don't trust Google

I don't trust Cloudflare (and I would want to use a non-cloudflare DNS)

I started looking into PorkBun, that was looking like a winner and was greeted with this

offshore.cat > look domains section.
    EasyDNS is freedom of speech supporter like Gandi
    Nicenic
    Directnic (the y also say doesn't shutdown easily)

EasyDNS is quite expensive, but they provide good support.

• I'd suggest using more than one registrar (assuming you have more than one domain name).

Businesses change over time, scandals happen, hacks happen, big acquisitions and mergers happen, new CEOs with bad ideas happen, government overreach happens.... just spread your risk to more than one registrar and you can mitigate the Epik-like situations more easily over time.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • @Francisco said:

Francisco

schusssicher?!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@hyperblast said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

schusssicher?!

law of the land of the TLD. If the TLD allows the content then we have no say in the matter.

Francisco

Thanked by 1hyperblast