Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended Registrars? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommended Registrars?

Comments

• Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited March 2023

@jlet88 said:
    I'd suggest using more than one registrar (assuming you have more than one domain name).

Businesses change over time, scandals happen, hacks happen, big acquisitions and mergers happen, new CEOs with bad ideas happen, government overreach happens.... just spread your risk to more than one registrar and you can mitigate the Epik-like situations more easily over time.

That seems to be pretty sound advice, all the eggs in one basket and all.

I should have listening to Wu Tang Financial...gotta diversify.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @Francisco said:

@hyperblast said:

@Francisco said:
    namecrane...soon :|

Francisco

schusssicher?!

law of the land of the TLD. If the TLD allows the content then we have no say in the matter.

Francisco

Are you getting into the domain game Francisco?? I wouldn't even have time to think twice about signing up with you.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2023

@Don_Keedic said: Are you getting into the domain game Francisco?? I wouldn't even have time to think twice about signing up with you.

We're making another company that is working on getting ICANN accredited. It's a slow &. expensive process, but it'll be fun :)

We'll try to be as cost competitive as possible, but we also don't want to be doing non stop loss leaders on a brand new company.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • Looking forward to it, @Francisco

But take your time to set it up so it's rock-solid and also with your attention to freedom of speech principles! B)

edited March 2023

@jlet88 said: Looking forward to it, @Francisco

But take your time to set it up so it's rock-solid and also with your attention to freedom of speech principles!

That's the #1 focus, within the terms of each TLD. Some TLD's (a lot of ccTLD's) have their own rules on content and things like that, we can't do much if a ccLD decides to yeet a domain because the content/name/etc violates their countries laws.

With that being said, we'll stand our ground as best as we can.

The initial Namecrane launch will cover domains, domain reselling (WHMCS/Blesta modules day #1), anycast DNS, and probably some sort of email forwarding service. Shared/resellers will be there day #1 as well since we'll just bring that from BuyShared.

Actual email hosting will depend on if we form a partnership with someone or what.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @Don_Keedic said: The only cause, if any cause, I'd want my registrar to support is free speech. When businesses start mixing social/political issues (that aren't free speech and especially if it has no direct connection to the business) , I'm a non-client/former client immediately.

Based. I wish more people started thinking about such issues.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @Francisco said:

@Don_Keedic said: Are you getting into the domain game Francisco?? I wouldn't even have time to think twice about signing up with you.

We're making another company that is working on getting ICANN accredited. It's a slow &. expensive process, but it'll be fun :)

We'll try to be as cost competitive as possible, but we also don't want to be doing non stop loss leaders on a brand new company.

Francisco

It's spelled B-U-Y-V-M not U-N-I-C-E-F, you gotta get your piece of the pie too!

I'd much rather support a "small" business vs a giant conglomerate any day of the week. Peace of mind goes a long way as I've come to find out. Knowing where you stand on the issue, that'd be an easy choice for me. I'm sure there's plenty of folks out there either in the same boat or about to be in the same boat.

@Don_Keedic said: It's spelled B-U-Y-V-M not U-N-I-C-E-F, you gotta get your piece of the pie too!

I'd much rather support a "small" business vs a giant conglomerate any day of the week. Peace of mind goes a long way as I've come to find out. Knowing where you stand on the issue, that'd be an easy choice for me. I'm sure there's plenty of folks out there either in the same boat or about to be in the same boat.

>

Thanks for the kind words.

I hope to see you at Namecrane once it's launched :)

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@Don_Keedic said: It's spelled B-U-Y-V-M not U-N-I-C-E-F, you gotta get your piece of the pie too!

>

Thanks for the kind words.

I hope to see you at Namecrane once it's launched :)

Francisco

Once you launch and post it here, am I going to be able to comment with my order number and get double bandwidth for my .TLD? I'd rather have my alloted bandwidth at full advertised speed, but 2x the janky bandwidth would somehow alleviate that issue for me.

Or maybe I can get that one guy here who wanted a free vps and turned it down because it "was a payment trap" to handle my domain negotiations with you. How someone could ask for something that's already cheap, for free, and still be unappreciative is still blowing my mind...

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited March 2023

@Francisco said:

But take your time to set it up so it's rock-solid and also with your attention to freedom of speech principles!

That's the #1 focus, within the terms of each TLD. Some TLD's (a lot of ccTLD's) have their own rules on content and things like that, we can't do much if a ccLD decides to yeet a domain because the content/name/etc violates their countries laws.

The initial Namecrane launch will cover domains, domain reselling (WHMCS/Blesta modules day #1), anycast DNS, and probably some sort of email forwarding service. Shared/resellers will be there day #1 as well since we'll just bring that from BuyShared.

Actual email hosting will depend on if we form a partnership with someone or what.

Francisco

This is very exciting. Thrilled to see you are building out such a great ecosystem.

BTW, as for email hosting (not necessarily email forwarding!), may I suggest you consider a partnership with a company that shares your perspective on privacy and freedom of speech? Some company that already has an encryption option, actually knows how to do it (very few do a good job at it), and with a long history of supporting freedom of speech issues...

There are really only a handful of companies that do privacy like that marginally well to very well TBH, so it's not hard to find the companies I'm speaking of, they show up on many of the privacy provider lists.

I know one of them already has a reseller program, another one recently formed a partnership with Mozilla, etc... and the ones I'm referring to have varying advanced levels of security/privacy/encryption features and good track records for freedom of speech. Sorry to say, definitely not US-based. Although a potentially good one does exist in the US, it's still too new to know how solid they are yet.

If you go a different direction for email hosting, and don't use a privacy-first kind of provider, I'd understand though. It's still a small market, and those providers tend to charge more money for the extra privacy/encryption, etc...

But anyway, something to think about. Good luck with it all, looking forward to your domain service for sure!

edited March 2023

@jlet88 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

This is very exciting. Thrilled to see you are building out such a great ecosystem.

BTW, as for email hosting (not necessarily email forwarding!), may I suggest you consider a partnership with a company that shares your perspective on privacy and freedom of speech? Some company that already has an encryption option, actually knows how to do it (very few do a good job at it), and with a long history of supporting freedom of speech issues...

There are really only a handful of companies that do privacy like that marginally well to very well TBH, so it's not hard to find the companies I'm speaking of, they show up on many of the privacy provider lists.

I know one of them already has a reseller program, another one recently formed a partnership with Mozilla, etc... and the ones I'm referring to have varying advanced levels of security/privacy/encryption features and good track records for freedom of speech. Sorry to say, definitely not US-based. Although a potentially good one does exist in the US, it's still too new to know how solid they are yet.

If you go a different direction for email hosting, and don't use a privacy-first kind of provider, I'd understand though. It's still a small market, and those providers tend to charge more money for the extra privacy/encryption, etc...

But anyway, something to think about. Good luck with it all, looking forward to your domain service for sure!

A potential @Francisco and @jar collaboration?!?! Make it so.

edited March 2023

@treesmokah said:

@Don_Keedic said: The only cause, if any cause, I'd want my registrar to support is free speech. When businesses start mixing social/political issues (that aren't free speech and especially if it has no direct connection to the business) , I'm a non-client/former client immediately.

Based. I wish more people started thinking about such issues.

Whenever someone makes the conscious decision to potentially alienate 50% of their base/future clientele, it's no longer about business, it's about the issue they're going out on a limb to support. When I put down $100 in blackjack and lose my first hand, I stop playing. When they do it, they put another $100 down, lose it, put $200 down and repeat ad-naseum until their products/customer service are so degraded they're just trying to keep their heads above water, let alone being able to afford to improve anything.

Virtue signal on your time instead of my dime and we're cool. I don't care what people do money after I give it to them, they provided me a service, I chose them for a reason and I paid for said service. That's the end of where anyone should care about anything outside of client retention.

I may not agree with another person on a specific issue, but just because I don't agree with them doesn't make their opinion "hate" speech (another term I strongly dislike because there's no such thing.) Free speech is free speech. When people are happily trying to censor people with opposing viewpoints of any kind, they'll soon come to realize that if they succeed, those same people they're helping censor their "opposition" are going to be turning that table on them and then they're going to be the outnumbered opposition. Unfortunately, by that point, it'll be far too late for any meaningful change and hindsight doesn't mean shit.

No matter what the politics, free speech and liberty should be paramount to everyone.

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited March 2023

@Don_Keedic said:
    A potential @Francisco and @jar collaboration?!?! Make it so.

Well in all honesty I wasn't referring to MXRoute, and I am a fan of MXRoute. No offense whatsoever to @jar. MXRoute does not offer -- at least currently -- a consumer-facing encrypted email service and the email itself on their servers is also not encrypted at rest, from what I understand. Only a few providers get close to doing it well, and they typically charge a higher premium for that. That's not to say anything negative about MXRoute at all -- they are just in a different market segment. And in their market segment, MXRoute excels. Now if @jar were to ever offer such encrypted services, though, I'd sign up in a heartbeat, and pay a premium for it (hint-hint).

MXRoute specializes in a different market segment right now though, and is built on @jar's huge investment in excellent deliverability.

If @Francisco decides to work with @jar, the service would still be undoubtedly good, but at least based on current offerings, it wouldn't be a replacement for one of the encrypted providers out there. Not to mention @jar is currently US-based, which is a different issue for certain people.

Anyway, I don't mean to distract from the thread... @jar and @Francisco can work out something cool, and I'd be looking at it with enthusiasm. The key point of this thread is alternate registrars, and @Francisco would certainly be launching a good one.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Jar's email expertise...Franciscos infra in Lux... would be pretty sweet.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Don_Keedic said:
    Jar's email expertise...Franciscos infra in Lux... would be pretty sweet.

@jar + good encryption + @Francisco + good jurisdiction = sign me up

Thanked by 1jar
  • oborsethoborseth Member, Host Rep

@Don_Keedic said:

@neverain said:

What did you think was going to happen when you visited the page for .gay domain?
    https://porkbun.com/tld/gay

It's on their homepage... https://porkbun.com. The images are set on a timer.

@the_doctor said:

@Don_Keedic said:
    The only cause, if any cause, I'd want my registrar to support is free speech. When businesses start mixing social/political issues (that aren't free speech and especially if it has no direct connection to the business) , I'm a non-client/former client immediately.

I think you might have misunderstood, it's a domain extension.

Porkbun is fine, they used to have an amazing price on .win ($1.50/year for multiple years) but now their prices are just so-so.

Ok this makes sense... it's the way they portrayed it on their homepage. They have the word "GAY" with an (RSS?) icon next to it...which doesn't indicate that at all. If it looked like this

it wouldn't haven't even crossed my mind. They're in the business of selling domains, .GAY is a revenue source and they're targeting a specific audience with a marketing campaign..that makes total business sense.

I think this conversation is proof in the pudding of why focus groups are a thing. I'll keep Porkbun in mind for the future (if that is indeed the case..)

To clarify, the pig images on the homepage are randomly selected based on the default TLDs you see when performing a search. The default search TLDs are based on registry promotions, etc.

Thanked by 2Don_Keedic loay
  • @oborseth said:

@Don_Keedic said:

@neverain said:

What did you think was going to happen when you visited the page for .gay domain?

@the_doctor said:

@Don_Keedic said:
    The only cause, if any cause, I'd want my registrar to support is free speech. When businesses start mixing social/political issues (that aren't free speech and especially if it has no direct connection to the business) , I'm a non-client/former client immediately.

Porkbun is fine, they used to have an amazing price on .win ($1.50/year for multiple years) but now their prices are just so-so.

Ok this makes sense... it's the way they portrayed it on their homepage. They have the word "GAY" with an (RSS?) icon next to it...which doesn't indicate that at all. If it looked like this

it wouldn't haven't even crossed my mind. They're in the business of selling domains, .GAY is a revenue source and they're targeting a specific audience with a marketing campaign..that makes total business sense.

I think this conversation is proof in the pudding of why focus groups are a thing. I'll keep Porkbun in mind for the future (if that is indeed the case..)

To clarify, the pig images on the homepage are randomly selected based on the default TLDs you see when performing a search. The default search TLDs are based on registry promotions, etc.

Perfect! Just a misunderstanding then. Thanks for popping in and getting that clarified!

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited March 2023

@oborseth said:

@Don_Keedic said:

@neverain said:

@the_doctor said:

@Don_Keedic said:

While we are still on topic of free speech.

What would you do if you were getting hundreds of bogus "abuse" reports against a USA legal site?
    Possibly some journos would be knocking to your doors as well.
    And of course, people crying on Twitter.

Generally no legal threat, only "social justice warriors".

Would you kick the customer without a court order?

I'm genuinely curious, the only provider i am aware of that is able to handle it in a sane way is Epik - but they have many(financial related) issues currently, and I would not use them personally.

• Am I the only one happy with cloudflare here?

• emgemg Veteran
    edited March 2023

@asdatasd said:
    Am I the only one happy with cloudflare here?

No. I am happy with Cloudflare, but I use them only for domains. I moved all my domains to Cloudflare last summer (2022).

I do not like that Cloudflare's free account policies require the use of their DNS and a private-only whois. I am willing to accept them in return for Cloudflare's "at wholesale cost" price commitment. The savings between my old domain registrars and Cloudflare make it worth the compromise to me.

• @Don_Keedic said:

@oborseth said:

@Don_Keedic said:

@neverain said:

@the_doctor said:

@Don_Keedic said:

Perfect! Just a misunderstanding then. Thanks for popping in and getting that clarified!

Keep in mind that the parent company of Porkbun, Top Level Design, is the one that created and owns .gay.

• geotgeot Member

name, namesilo, porkbun

• sandozsandoz Veteran

@geot said:
    name, namesilo, porkbun

Name is shit. Who uses them? lol
    Did you even read the OP main post?

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • zagolezagole Member
    edited April 2023

There are many domain registrars available in the market, and each of them has their own strengths and weaknesses. Here are some recommendations that meet your criteria and are not on your list:

Hover - Hover is a domain registrar that is known for its simplicity and ease of use. They offer free WHOIS privacy protection and support custom nameservers. They are also based in Canada, which is geographically close to the US.

Gandi - Gandi is a domain registrar that focuses on providing a secure and private experience. They offer free WHOIS privacy protection, support custom nameservers, and are based in France.

Epik - Epik is a domain registrar that offers a wide range of services, including domain registration, web hosting, and SSL certificates. They offer free WHOIS privacy protection and support custom nameservers. They are also based in the US.

PorkyHost - PorkyHost is a domain registrar and web hosting company that offers a simple and straightforward domain registration process. They support custom nameservers and offer free WHOIS privacy protection. They are based in the US.

Internet.bs - Internet.bs is a domain registrar that offers competitive pricing and a range of services, including domain registration, web hosting, and SSL certificates. They support custom nameservers and offer free WHOIS privacy protection. They are based in the Bahamas.

These are just a few options, and there are many more domain registrars out there to choose from. It's important to do your own research and choose a registrar that meets your specific needs and requirements.

• sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited April 2023

@zagole said:
    There are many domain registrars available in the market, and each of them has their own strengths and weaknesses. Here are some recommendations that meet your criteria and are not on your list:

Hover - Hover is a domain registrar that is known for its simplicity and ease of use. They offer free WHOIS privacy protection and support custom nameservers. They are also based in Canada, which is geographically close to the US.

Gandi - Gandi is a domain registrar that focuses on providing a secure and private experience. They offer free WHOIS privacy protection, support custom nameservers, and are based in France.

Epik - Epik is a domain registrar that offers a wide range of services, including domain registration, web hosting, and SSL certificates. They offer free WHOIS privacy protection and support custom nameservers. They are also based in the US.

PorkyHost - PorkyHost is a domain registrar and web hosting company that offers a simple and straightforward domain registration process. They support custom nameservers and offer free WHOIS privacy protection. They are based in the US.

Internet.bs - Internet.bs is a domain registrar that offers competitive pricing and a range of services, including domain registration, web hosting, and SSL certificates. They support custom nameservers and offer free WHOIS privacy protection. They are based in the Bahamas.

These are just a few options, and there are many more domain registrars out there to choose from. It's important to do your own research and choose a registrar that meets your specific needs and requirements.

Internet.BS is now part of other group.
    Also they removed the ability to pay with crypto?

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep

@Don_Keedic said: Namesilo ended up being in debt and they sold out to some sketchy company awhile back.

5 years ago ... or do you know something that Wikipedia doesn't mention?

What is sketchy about the company they merged with?

• @sandoz said:

@zagole said:

Internet.BS is now part of other group.
    Also they removed the ability to pay with crypto?

Dudes response has ChatGPT written all over it.

• emgemg Veteran

@siemens said:

Keep in mind that the parent company of Porkbun, Top Level Design, is the one that created and owns .gay.

My objection to Porkbun is that Top Level Design is in China. They are the parent company that owns Porkbun. I do not like the idea that a company in China has direct data access to Porkbun customer activities and information.

• @beanman109 said:
    Dudes response has ChatGPT written all over it.

Most of the recommendations here were people who didn't even bother reading the original post to begin with. That response in particular was especially bad. 4 out of the 5 recommendations were shot down with the original post (No Epik, want US based)

Hover - Canada
    Gandi - France
    Epik - Was who I was getting away from
    Internet.BS - Bahamas

@emg said:

@siemens said:

My objection to Porkbun is that Top Level Design is in China. They are the parent company that owns Porkbun. I do not like the idea that a company in China has direct data access to Porkbun customer activities and information.

This is the sort of information I was looking for. Now that those dots have been connected, Porkbun is officially on the shitlist. Thanks @emg

Thanked by 1emg
  • Carlin0Carlin0 Member
    edited April 2023

https://www.gandi.net/
    Ubuntu members with this vendor get a discount of about 40% on domains