Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEW! iDrive® e2 SSD Storage Plan $0.01/GB/Month!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NEW! iDrive® e2 SSD Storage Plan $0.01/GB/Month!

EthanZouEthanZou Member
edited April 2023 in General

Comments

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

how does ssd help in a object storage service? 🤔

• qebaqeba Member

$0.01/GB/Month for a year then after a year how much it will be? or it is maintain $0.01/GB/Month forever?.

• The amazing price is not recurring.
    As the page mentions:

• Sign up today and get 25% off on your first year or get 50% off on your first year for a 2 year plan. These Mini, Personal, Team, and Business plans are available only for new signups and are available for a limited time only. Discounts are not available for signup from IDrive mobile apps.
  • sixsix Member
    edited March 2023

@ask_seek_knock said:
    The amazing price is not recurring.
    As the page mentions:

• Sign up today and get 25% off on your first year or get 50% off on your first year for a 2 year plan. These Mini, Personal, Team, and Business plans are available only for new signups and are available for a limited time only. Discounts are not available for signup from IDrive mobile apps.

The price is recurring, your page looks at the iDrive backup product while this is for their e2 service, which supports s3. Their pricing page for e2 shows the same price, & the plans also match with $0.004 for HDD storage/mo.

Thanked by 1ask_seek_knock
  • @six said: The price is recurring,

You're right.
    I apologise for this error, sorry.

Thanked by 1six
  • @FatGrizzly said:

Might be better? idk. :#

@qeba said:
    $0.01/GB/Month for a year then after a year how much it will be? or it is maintain $0.01/GB/Month forever?.

SSD Storage? $0.01/GB/Month;
    HDD Storage? $0.004/GB/Month.

• @FatGrizzly said:

Reply from IDrive e2 Support Team:
    IDrive e2 SSD Storage uses SSD storage for optimal performance [SSD gives excellent throughput in uploads and downloads]. Store your data in SSD regions to ensure faster data read/write speeds and optimize overall storage performance.

@EthanZou said:

@FatGrizzly said:

IDrive e2 SSD Storage uses SSD storage for optimal performance [SSD gives excellent throughput in uploads and downloads]. Store your data in SSD regions to ensure faster data read/write speeds and optimize overall storage performance.

I feel like this is BS tbh. The S3 bucket you're purchasing isn't a disk that needs optimal performance with high disk write/reads. Might be a scam from idrive? If I am wrong, please educate me.

• @FatGrizzly said: The S3 bucket you're purchasing isn't a disk that needs optimal performance with high disk write/reads.

Get√, so HDD is just OK and working fine?

@EthanZou said:

@FatGrizzly said: The S3 bucket you're purchasing isn't a disk that needs optimal performance with high disk write/reads.

I am not a lord at s3 buckets, but a bucket should run fine in an enterprise grade hdd. I am not sure if they're running Enterprise grade ones or consumer grade ones, if its the latter you will definitely notice great performance

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @FatGrizzly said:

@EthanZou said:

@FatGrizzly said: The S3 bucket you're purchasing isn't a disk that needs optimal performance with high disk write/reads.

I am not a lord at s3 buckets, but a bucket should run fine in an enterprise grade hdd. I am not sure if they're running Enterprise grade ones or consumer grade ones, if its the latter you will definitely notice great performance

Many thanks for your guide! Sir

• Would be nice if they could first fix reliability issues instead of adding new features. Frankfurt has less than a 94% uptime rate in the past week.

https://hetrixtools.com/r/8886b5de934fae100339fea9e52ba393/

• @FatGrizzly said:

@EthanZou said:

@FatGrizzly said:

I feel like this is BS tbh. The S3 bucket you're purchasing isn't a disk that needs optimal performance with high disk write/reads. Might be a scam from idrive? If I am wrong, please educate me.

It depends, for frequently accessed buckets with lots of small files, SSD can actually be advantageous. Our self hosted Ceph cluster at work ended up being too slow while only being on HDD, and we had to end up caching heavily with NVMe + create a NVMe cluster. I can see the use but only for buckets that are getting the absolute shit beaten out of them, and I doubt anyone using iDrive is actually hitting them with that sort of workload.

Thanked by 2Erisa FatGrizzly
  • @manouchehri said:
    Would be nice if they could first fix reliability issues instead of adding new features. Frankfurt has less than a 94% uptime rate in the past week.

@vitobotta @arda

@fluffernutter said: for frequently accessed buckets with lots of small files

Yes, it's my use case.

• This price is relatively cheap, but their lines are not very good, and the speed is not very fast!

• @fluffernutter said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@EthanZou said:

@FatGrizzly said:

It depends, for frequently accessed buckets with lots of small files, SSD can actually be advantageous. Our self hosted Ceph cluster at work ended up being too slow while only being on HDD, and we had to end up caching heavily with NVMe + create a NVMe cluster. I can see the use but only for buckets that are getting the absolute shit beaten out of them, and I doubt anyone using iDrive is actually hitting them with that sort of workload.

Regular IDrive E2 seems extremely fast already for me, not sure I understand what the real performance gains would be by switching to their SSD line.

@EthanZou said:

@manouchehri said:
    Would be nice if they could first fix reliability issues instead of adding new features. Frankfurt has less than a 94% uptime rate in the past week.

@vitobotta @arda

Yes, it's my use case.

Careful you don’t go over a 1:3 upload/download ratio.

@qquccs said:
    This price is relatively cheap, but their lines are not very good, and the speed is not very fast!

What do you mean by not very good, and what speeds are you seeing? 🙂

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I have bought a special offer plan a few years ago and was unusable with speeds like 1 mbps. I didn't even bother to ask for my money back.

Things seem much better now, though, from talking to other people.

• @manouchehri said:

I use Frankfurt and haven't noticed any downtime in months

• @Maounique said:
    I have bought a special offer plan a few years ago and was unusable with speeds like 1 mbps. I didn't even bother to ask for my money back.

Things seem much better now, though, from talking to other people.

A few years ago? AFAIK it was introduced in 2022

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@vitobotta said: A few years ago? AFAIK it was introduced in 2022

e2, perhaps, I was talking about iDrive in general. There was some crazy offer like they have now for backups at 8 USD a year.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@Maounique said:

e2, perhaps, I was talking about iDrive in general. There was some crazy offer like they have now for backups at 8 USD a year.

Agree with this - trialled IDrive for business backups a few years ago and it was extremely slow, ended up moving to C2, but tried e2 recently and pleasently surprised. Speed/UI is all quite nice.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @manouchehri said: Careful you don’t go over a 1:3 upload/download ratio.

Yes, so any good suggestions? Thanks.

@iKeyZ said:

@Maounique said:

but tried e2 recently and pleasently surprised. Speed/UI is all quite nice.

Glad to hear that and which region did you test?

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@EthanZou said:

@manouchehri said: Careful you don’t go over a 1:3 upload/download ratio.

@iKeyZ said:

@Maounique said:

Mostly their London location, pretty good impression so far.

• @iKeyZ said:

@EthanZou said:

@manouchehri said: Careful you don’t go over a 1:3 upload/download ratio.

@iKeyZ said:

@Maounique said:

Mostly their London location, pretty good impression so far.

E2=yes! :# cheap and fast!

• @vitobotta said:

@manouchehri said:

Hmm, does your use-case allow for very long timeouts? My application has a timeout after 15-30 seconds, and sometimes that isn't nearly enough for Frankfurt. I just tested it now, and it took about 100 seconds to upload and download a "hello world" text file.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@manouchehri said:

@vitobotta said:

@manouchehri said:

Hmm, does your use-case allow for very long timeouts? My application has a timeout after 15-30 seconds, and sometimes that isn't nearly enough for Frankfurt. I just tested it now, and it took about 100 seconds to upload and download a "hello world" text file.

Strange, I'm also using Frankfurt and can upload files pretty quickly. Just tried a few files between 1-100MB and all upload very fast.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

So their normal plans will slow down to a halt?
    The whole idea of object storage is that I don’t need to care about what’s used under the hood. This seems very strange.

• ardaarda Member
    edited March 2023

@EthanZou said:

@manouchehri said:

@vitobotta @arda

Yes, it's my use case.

Thanks for the ping!

I'm in DE in e2, using the bucket for my Mastodon instance. a couple of times here and there some assets were not mirrored, but it's maybe 1 in 1k, so it's very rare, and people say it's normal for mastodon (my vps tries to access tons of other instances' assets etc.). I believe mastodon does not retry fetching / uploading if an error occurs.

I also store some personal encrypted backups, where I upload using some scripts, but never had issues on that as well.

I also tried manual uploading right now, it's quite fast.

I'm using cyberduck for manual processes, but I wonder if that would matter anyways.

• tedtomatotedtomato Member
    edited March 2023

I think they realised that their standard e2 was pretty quick, so now they are going to slow it down artificially and sell the "SSD" version at a premium...

I have been using iDrive e2 for about 6 months and speed has been great (tried Germany, France, UK). For only $4 for 1TB for a one year, unbeatable value.

However, I may not renew at $40 per year. Also annoyed that there is no way on the website to prevent automatic renewal.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • ardaarda Member

For small volumes, I'd rather stay on flexible pricing. $0.004 / GB / month is an awesome price for the service if you'd ask me.

I didn't switch to yearly plan, and I'm currently using about 40 GBs, so unless I'm missing something essential, it costs about $1.9 per year for me, or maybe even less, if you deduce that first 10 GB free offer :smiley: