Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEW! iDrive® e2 SSD Storage Plan $0.01/GB/Month! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NEW! iDrive® e2 SSD Storage Plan $0.01/GB/Month!

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@tedtomato said: For only $4 for 1TB for a one year, unbeatable value.

@arda said: For small volumes, I'd rather stay on flexible pricing. $0.004 / GB / month is an awesome price for the service if you'd ask me.

So is it 1 TB for 4 dollars a year or a month? Or you guys are talking about different offers? If it is per month, a Kimsufi is doing better.

• sixsix Member

@Maounique said:

So is it 1 TB for 4 dollars a year or a month? Or you guys are talking about different offers? If it is per month, a Kimsufi is doing better.

How is $4 a month/TB worse than Kimsufi? The first year of iDrive is $4 for 1 TB, and after that, it goes up to $40 a year. The cheapest Kimsufi server is $5.99 a month with 1 TB of hard drive space, without any redundancy. iDrive e2, on the other hand, advertises 3x data replication, whereas with Kimsufi, your data is stored solely on that one drive (not including the OS).

• @ericls said: So their normal plans will slow down to a halt?
    @tedtomato said: I think they realised that their standard e2 was pretty quick, so now they are going to slow it down artificially and sell the "SSD" version at a premium...

That would be too bad and not wise. :o

• This sounds suspicious

• @bamboo4409 said:
    This sounds suspicious

Why? too cheap or what?

• @bamboo4409 said:
    This sounds suspicious

iDrive have always done the same: first year is very cheap, then price increases in second and third year (even for their backup solution, not just e2).

I stopped using iDrive backup for that reason: first year was $8, second year was $20, third year was $80. Moving the files to another provider is not possible, and upload speed is constrained on purpose.

At least with iDrive e2, it's S3 compatible, so easy to move the files to another provider (or create a new account for the promotional price).

• Wait. So does the price stick after the first year?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@six said: he cheapest Kimsufi server is $5.99 a month with 1 TB of hard drive space

Not really, I haven't heard in a long time of one having a 1 TB disk, mine has 2TB.
    Also it can do way more than just storing data, I personally run 2 containers in it because of the 4 GB RAM. Yes, the CPU sucks, but there is unlimited traffic of many TB included.
    If, indeed, you get one year for 4 dollars and don't have to pay 40 for the next, it is a great offer for a year.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@ItsAsylum said:
    Wait. So does the price stick after the first year?

For SSD it seems to, for the $4/TB/year for HDD it does not (renews at $40)

• @ItsAsylum said:
    Wait. So does the price stick after the first year?

No, typical iDrive strategy. Cheap first year, and then it goes up.

At least, with S3-compatible storage, it's easy to move around between providers.

• these prices are ridiculous. What can we expect after 1 year? do they expect us bottom feeders to be too lazy to switch?

• @sidewinder said:
    these prices are ridiculous. What can we expect after 1 year? do they expect us bottom feeders to be too lazy to switch?

I wouldn't say $40 a year for 1TB storage is ridiculous. Compared to other S3 providers, quite competitive.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • manouchehrimanouchehri Member
    edited March 2023

@iKeyZ said:

@manouchehri said:

@vitobotta said:

@manouchehri said:
    Would be nice if they could first fix reliability issues instead of adding new features. Frankfurt has less than a 94% uptime rate in the past week.

https://hetrixtools.com/r/8886b5de934fae100339fea9e52ba393/

I use Frankfurt and haven't noticed any downtime in months

Hmm, does your use-case allow for very long timeouts? My application has a timeout after 15-30 seconds, and sometimes that isn't nearly enough for Frankfurt. I just tested it now, and it took about 100 seconds to upload and download a "hello world" text file.

Strange, I'm also using Frankfurt and can upload files pretty quickly. Just tried a few files between 1-100MB and all upload very fast.

I can upload files quickly too, as long as Frankfurt is up. The issue is that Frankfurt returns 503 errors for several minutes every hour or so.

No other region has this poor uptime for this long. San Jose has started to have issues as well this week.

You can see my latency results live with:

curl "https://untrusted.files.ai.moda/api/v1.0.0-alpha/ping" | jq

Usually you'll see totally acceptable latency for Frankfurt... and sometimes you'll see like 60 seconds. =/

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • New reply from IDrive Support Team:
    IDrive e2 SSD Storage uses SSD storage for optimal performance [SSD gives excellent throughput in uploads and downloads]. Store your data in SSD regions to ensure faster data read/write speeds and optimize overall storage performance.

• j3rj3r Member

I've been using it almost a year. It is pretty great for the price. Note that some nodes are way faster than others. I use virginia and it is really fast.

I intend to cancel before renewal comes up, but I just got an email offering the same deal I originally paid.

It was clearly stated it would be $40 for the first year then $400 after that (or something along those lines).

Since I use it as a 4th node in my backups I don't care about nuking it and starting a new account for that price.

Thanked by 2tedtomato arda
  • @j3r said: I intend to cancel before renewal comes up, but I just got an email offering the same deal I originally paid.

$40 again for 10TB storage?

• j3rj3r Member

@EthanZou said:

@j3r said: I intend to cancel before renewal comes up, but I just got an email offering the same deal I originally paid.

$40 again for 10TB storage?

yes, exact prices as when I signed up, but it was worded towards new clients (but sent to me as an existing one).

Thanked by 1arda
  • manouchehrimanouchehri Member
    edited March 2023

It looks like there's different servers endpoints in each location, which could explain the very different reliability and speed experiences we're seeing. e.g. *.fra.idrivee2-1.com through *.fra.idrivee2-50.com might be going down at different times and maybe have very different traffic loads.

@j3r said:
    I've been using it almost a year. It is pretty great for the price. Note that some nodes are way faster than others. I use virginia and it is really fast.

I intend to cancel before renewal comes up, but I just got an email offering the same deal I originally paid.

It was clearly stated it would be $40 for the first year then $400 after that (or something along those lines).

Since I use it as a 4th node in my backups I don't care about nuking it and starting a new account for that price.

Yeah, the speeds are all over the place. Sometimes a further away region ends up having much better actual latency. (I'm measuring "actual latency" as the time to upload/download an object, instead of just the time for a ICMP reply.)

Even the $0.004/GB per month pricing is still the lowest in the industry for managed S3 as far as I know.

Thanked by 1j3r
  • Actual chat log with IDrive E2 support. :| I still plan on continuing to use them for some of my company's use-cases that don't require any reliability, but disappointing we can't use them for any of our applications that require high availability.

Amrit 07:28 PM
    Hello. How may I help you?

David 07:30 PM
    Hi there. I've had probably half a dozen chats about this before in the past month; the Frankfurt endpoint at `fra.idrivee2-25.com` is constantly returning 503 errors for several minutes every hour or so.

I keep being told on every chat that IDrive's technical team is still looking into it and I'll get an email later. But... I haven't.

Amrit 07:30 PM
    Give me a moment

David 07:31 PM
    Sure. :)

Amrit 07:35 PM
    We understand your concern. The same issue is already escalated to the backend team in ticket IDXXXXXXXXX

The team is working on this, we will followup with the team and get back to you with an update as soon as we get an update from team

David 07:35 PM
    When will the team get back to me?

Amrit 07:36 PM
    They are working on this. However currently we do not have ETA on this

David 07:36 PM
    Alrighty.

Amrit 07:37 PM
    Thank you for contacting IDrive Support, have a great day ahead. Bye.

• @manouchehri said: we can't use them for any of our applications that require high availability.

So how about backblaze b2?

• @EthanZou said:

@manouchehri said: we can't use them for any of our applications that require high availability.

So how about backblaze b2?

Yep, that's what we're doing already. We load balance across B2 based on latency.

• ardaarda Member
    edited April 2023

I start to get regular upload issues on my mastodon instance on idrive e2 frankfurt. My uploads could not be processed randomly, and it happens for hours, then they suddenly start to work. Also by this time, remote assets are not downloaded either.

I'm thinking of switching to another region, any suggestions? How's France ? Or did you switch to another provider ?

Thanked by 1cxg
  • Just saw UpdraftPlus (S3) is supported by iDrive. This is awesome news @bikegremlin @vyas11 (in case you do application/wp level backups, too).

https://www.idrive.com/object-storage-e2/updraftplus-wordpress

• @arda said:
    I start to get regular upload issues on my mastodon instance on idrive e2 frankfurt. My uploads could not be processed randomly, and it happens for hours, then they suddenly start to work. Also by this time, remote assets are not downloaded either.

I'm thinking of switching to another region, any suggestions? How's France ? Or did you switch to another provider ?

Works fine now?
    @vitobotta

Thanked by 1arda
  • @arda said:

Ireland, Virginia, Montreal, Los Angeles, Madrid, Chicago, Paris, Oregon, and Miami are okay.

Frankfurt is the worst.

Thanked by 1arda
  • ardaarda Member
    edited April 2023

When I try to upload asset, or even clean-up, I regularly get

Net::ReadTimeout with #<TCPSocket:(closed)>

and my Access key cannot even navigate through other desktop clients, like I'm locked out, and even idrive e2 overview webui is laggy (it tries to fetch total size and number of objects). So I'm assuming the Frankfurt datacenter is the culprit as you mentioned.

When the outage happens, are the symptoms same for you guys as well? @manouchehri @EthanZou

Currently it's a bit better, but it gets worse on night times (of Germany, to be precise).

If so, I'll try to move my bucket to France or Ireland.

• ardaarda Member
    edited April 2023

I told myself "well f**k it" and moved my bucket from Frankfurt, Germany to Paris, France. I simply ran rclone copy de:/bucket/ fr:/bucket/ (but I downloaded to local also just in case). It's instantly faster, more responsive and so far random uploads are all working nicely. Hope it keeps like that.

• ardaarda Member
    edited May 2023

Oh come on! This is Paris bucket, and none of my file transfers on Mastodon or over Cyberduck work, and it's because:

Their public URL from their URL doesn't work neither:

I'm veeeery close to switching to another provider.

• Signed up last night and can't create buckets, saying access key id is invalid. The endpoint tls has wrong certificate, so there's multiple fuckups. I wish I just did the trial instead of outright paying, but I've never experienced out of box failure this bad before.

But I think I'll try another region, just for a test, since Support hasn't gotten back to me in 24 hours.

Given recent failures by providers, I'm just going to move more and more things back under my hardware and control.

Thanked by 1arda