Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEW! iDrive® e2 SSD Storage Plan $0.01/GB/Month! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NEW! iDrive® e2 SSD Storage Plan $0.01/GB/Month!

13»

Comments

• ardaarda Member

Glad to hear I was not the only one having TLS issues.

After about 2 hours, the tls issue was gone, but objects were still giving errors and I could not bind my custom domain nor upload stuff (which I both did earlier), so I moved my mastodon assets to scaleway. I was an old customer of them back in 2016-2017, and their pricing is decent. First 75 GBs is free, then about $0.0146 / GB / month. So far, so good.

The funnier part is that the bucket from Frankfurt was working nicely all this time, apart from possibly infrequent outages :lol:

I'll still use idrive for my infrequent backups, but for mastodon, not anymore, at least for the time being.

• Can it be used for watching linux iso's using plex?

• Does anyone know how to signup to their Pay-As-You-Go plan? The only option I've got in my trial account is to go on their annual plans.

• @arda said: I'm veeeery close to switching to another provider.

I don't think they have much in terms of uptime monitoring set up on their end.

@TimboJones said:
    Signed up last night and can't create buckets, saying access key id is invalid. The endpoint tls has wrong certificate, so there's multiple fuckups. I wish I just did the trial instead of outright paying, but I've never experienced out of box failure this bad before.

But I think I'll try another region, just for a test, since Support hasn't gotten back to me in 24 hours.

Given recent failures by providers, I'm just going to move more and more things back under my hardware and control.

All of the regions seem to be maintained to varying different degrees.

Support hasn't gotten back to me in weeks; the first, last, and only email I've ever gotten from their support team was back in March 2023.

@arda said: After about 2 hours, the tls issue was gone, but objects were still giving errors and I could not bind my custom domain nor upload stuff (which I both did earlier), so I moved my mastodon assets to scaleway. I was an old customer of them back in 2016-2017, and their pricing is decent. First 75 GBs is free, then about $0.0146 / GB / month. So far, so good.

Why not use Backblaze instead? Quite a bit cheaper than Scaleway.

• @netsujit said:
    Does anyone know how to signup to their Pay-As-You-Go plan? The only option I've got in my trial account is to go on their annual plans.

What does it show for 'Billing' > 'Plan Options'?

• @TimboJones said:

There is no 'Billing' tab in the left hand menu. However, if I go to 'My Account -> Plan Option' this is what I see:

• Hmm, there's a new Singapore region, wonder if it'll be more reliable. =P

• @arda said: When the outage happens, are the symptoms same for you guys as well? @manouchehri @EthanZou

I don't think I've had a TLS outage (I'm using custom SSL certs for every region though). Mostly timeouts and 503 Service Unavailable.

• I have an old iDrive Unlimited Lifetime Mobile Backup plan. I would make more use out of it if their website and apps weren't so clunky

• @manouchehri said:

@arda said: I'm veeeery close to switching to another provider.

I don't think they have much in terms of uptime monitoring set up on their end.

@TimboJones said:
    Signed up last night and can't create buckets, saying access key id is invalid. The endpoint tls has wrong certificate, so there's multiple fuckups. I wish I just did the trial instead of outright paying, but I've never experienced out of box failure this bad before.

But I think I'll try another region, just for a test, since Support hasn't gotten back to me in 24 hours.

Given recent failures by providers, I'm just going to move more and more things back under my hardware and control.

All of the regions seem to be maintained to varying different degrees.

Support hasn't gotten back to me in weeks; the first, last, and only email I've ever gotten from their support team was back in March 2023.

@arda said: After about 2 hours, the tls issue was gone, but objects were still giving errors and I could not bind my custom domain nor upload stuff (which I both did earlier), so I moved my mastodon assets to scaleway. I was an old customer of them back in 2016-2017, and their pricing is decent. First 75 GBs is free, then about $0.0146 / GB / month. So far, so good.

Support responded to my tech support complaint at 7 days but fixed it days prior to responding.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited May 2023

@netsujit said:

@TimboJones said:

There is no 'Billing' tab in the left hand menu. However, if I go to 'My Account -> Plan Option' this is what I see:

Fantastic documentation. /s

Click the "More plans" dropdown and see if it gives more options. You can also chat with a real person, I bet billing issues are more likely to be resolved on the spot than technical issues.

Edit: more plans dropdown didn't show more plans.
    Maybe PAYG is just using space after the trial ended and "no plan" selected?

Thanked by 1netsujit
  • @TimboJones said:

Click the "More plans" dropdown and see if it gives more options. You can also chat with a real person, I bet billing issues are more likely to be resolved on the spot than technical issues.

"More Plans" has just bigger plans but no PAYG. But thanks for trying to help though. I appreciate it :)

I tried their chat support. The person I was dealing with was not able to do much. He has raised an internal ticket. Am waiting for them to respond to it.

• netsujitnetsujit Member
    edited May 2023

@TimboJones said:

@netsujit said:

@TimboJones said:

Their support team managed to fix it.

I don't know what they did in the backend, but just got an email from their technical team saying they have fixed the issue and to login again and retry the upgrade option. And this time, the PAYG option magically appeared along with the other yearly plans.

• hostarishostaris Member, Patron Provider

What are the transfer speeds on this? Looking at picking one up.

• ardaarda Member
    edited May 2023

@manouchehri said:

For dumbest reasons, Backblaze API (for s3 and panel auth) is banned in my country. I could use VPN for panel usage and payment though (my VPS is in DE), but I personally would not prefer it for possible false positive fraud alerts. My initial though to use was Backblaze even before iDrive.

I've been trying Scaleway for about a week. Zero broken images, unlike iDrive, where I had many per day.

One nuance though, for 75 GB free tier, you need to upload files as ONEZONE_IA, otherwise it costs money. Mastodon has already merged this feature in main branch, but not in any releases yet. Although multi zone is already cheap, I simply copied my current storage with this header and only new files are stored in multizone standard storage class, which costs pennies.

• @hostaris said:
    What are the transfer speeds on this? Looking at picking one up.

Transfer speeds are great for me, I've gotten >1Gbps.

• @arda said:

@manouchehri said:

For dumbest reasons, Backblaze API (for s3 and panel auth) is banned in my country. I could use VPN for panel usage and payment though (my VPS is in DE), but I personally would not prefer it for possible false positive fraud alerts. My initial though to use was Backblaze even before iDrive.

I've been trying Scaleway for about a week. Zero broken images, unlike iDrive, where I had many per day.

One nuance though, for 75 GB free tier, you need to upload files as ONEZONE_IA, otherwise it costs money. Mastodon has already merged this feature in main branch, but not in any releases yet. Although multi zone is already cheap, I simply copied my current storage with this header and only new files are stored in multizone standard storage class, which costs pennies.

If I select Amsterdam I see:

Standard 75 GB free storage

Glacier 75 GB free storage

Transfer75 GB outgoing transfer

Do you still get charged even though it says 75GB free in this datacentre?

• ardaarda Member

@asterisk14 Depends on how you upload. I get charged even with <75GB for newly uploaded files, because mastodon uploads as standard storage type. In scaleway, it syncs the file in multiple locations in same datacenter with non-infrequent, more ready to be fetched storage class. Mastodon will possibly include it in the upcoming release.

However, when I upload it as ONEZONE_IA it counts as 75 GB free.

• alexroeualexroeu Member
    edited May 2023

Got their trial for the regular e2 a month ago:

• two buckets on Paris became not accessible after 2 days, then:
    • another Frankfurt bucket became not accessible after 1 day.
    • contacted support, they replied that everything is ok, to send screenshots
    • I sent screenshots, support never replied.
    • gone with hetzner and never looked back.
  • Lesson learned, 90% off first year deals should expect significant hassle.

• Alright, so we officially give up on trying to use IDrive E2 for anything customer facing and/or unencrypted.

If you need/want to nuke all your data off of IDrive E2 but have object lock enabled, here's how you can use aws s3api.

aws s3api list-buckets --endpoint-url https://c6v1.fra.idrivee2-25.com --profile e2fra | jq -r '.Buckets[].Name' | \
    while read bucket; do \
      echo "Deleting objects from bucket: $bucket"
      aws s3api list-object-versions --bucket "$bucket" --endpoint-url https://c6v1.fra.idrivee2-25.com --profile e2fra | \
      jq -r '.Versions[] | select(.IsLatest) | .Key + " " + .VersionId' | \
      parallel -j 128 --colsep ' ' aws s3api delete-object --bucket "$bucket" --key {1} --version-id {2} --endpoint-url https://c6v1.fra.idrivee2-25.com --bypass-governance-retention --profile e2fra; \
    done

And for your .aws/credentials file:

[e2fra]
    aws_access_key_id=asdf
    aws_secret_access_key=asdf

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • tubiztubiz Member

@manouchehri said: Alright, so we officially give up on trying to use IDrive E2 for anything customer facing and/or unencrypted.

Which provider are you switching to or can you recommend?

I have been looking for an alternative as I have some buckets in the London region and the plan was to switch fully from Backblaze B2.

• @tubiz said:

@manouchehri said: Alright, so we officially give up on trying to use IDrive E2 for anything customer facing and/or unencrypted.

I have been looking for an alternative as I have some buckets in the London region and the plan was to switch fully from Backblaze B2.

I switched from iDrive E2 to Scaleway. I also tried Backblaze but just like iDrive the performance is not consistent. Now i use Scaleway for 6 months and no issues.

Thanked by 2darkimmortal tubiz
  • @tubiz said:

Backblaze B2 is the only cheap alternative that supports CORS. They do have multiple regions now which is nice.

For encrypted backups, I'd still use IDrive E2 as a secondary backup. I'd also still use it for temporary encrypted (or public) transfers that can handle failures (e.g. uploading a 10GB VM to share).

Wasabi is the best cheap option that supports audit logging. You do get billed for at least 90 days for any data uploaded, so not good for temporary data.

Thanked by 1tubiz