Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Indian ISPs block Namecheap, Dynadot, Tucows, Sarek and Gransy - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Indian ISPs block Namecheap, Dynadot, Tucows, Sarek and Gransy

Comments

• @jlet88 said: And certainly, if the Indian court wishes to block a service WITHIN INDIA, or WITHIN THEIR JURISDICTION, they have the right to do that. Go for it. I'm not saying they can't do that.

However, they can't force a foreign company to comply with an Indian court order unless that company has a legal presence in India. There are some limited cases where this has been done in extreme cases, such as terrorism, drug cartels, etc. And as I mentioned, there are several legal tools and ways they can exert pressure on foreign companies (feel free to look all that up), including filing a lawsuit in the country where the company has a legal presence and other international protocols.

I agree with these points. And how each foreign company (unless thats Google/FB/Godaddy) would be able to appoint local-presence/officer in each country. There are 200 countries, 200 laws, and its hard to abide every local law.

• @kait said:

@titaniumboy said: you mean the government should let them run those illegal websites? As per news those registrars were being warned, the illegal websites were blocked by the government but people were accessing them with VPN.

Yes, lets trust the Indian government to say what domains are allowed and what domains aren't. /s

indeed, the registrar need to follow indian law. if anything goes against the interests of the india, actions will be taken against that. It's not a thing to wonder. There were thousands of fake websites copying indian government website designs and issuing fake certificates, most of their domains were registered from namecheap and other registrars. Namecheap didn't took any actions for years.

Aditya Birla Group, Tata and few other businesses trademark were being used by few scammers to scam Indian public. > @tjn said:

So instead of working with ISP's to block the domains that are in fact nefarious, they've gone and blocked access to registrars? :D

Surely any old VPN connection will get around this?
    That and the fact that there are 100's of other registrars out there?

Those domains were blocked but people are still accessing them with VPN for watching free matches. Namecheap didn't took any action on them, so it got blocked. Simple as it is.

Thanked by 1BingoBongo
  • TrKTrK Member

Control the information and control the people, For the phishing websites any registrar will be happy to honour the takedown request if reported, but i guess nah i won't follow the proper procedure.

Thanked by 1kait
  • @TrK said:
    Control the information and control the people, For the phishing websites any registrar will be happy to honour the takedown request if reported, but i guess nah i won't follow the proper procedure.

Read the original first post before commenting like a stupid

The move comes as part of a long-running dispute over cybersquatting. Indian courts and cybersquatting victims are frustrated that registrars are not responding to their take-down notices. Some registrars are seemingly asking that plaintiffs get a U.S. court order rather than one from India.

• @jmaxwell said:

@WindsOfChange said:
    Next target appears could be CloudFlare as their public dns still appears to be resolving namecheap

Some Indian bureaucrat reading this: Cloudflare allow? we ban it.
    Another bureaucrat: Cloudflare?..kya flare? Ban cloud.

News next day: Indian government bans all cloud services.

TRUE MAN, such dump people in our IT Ministry.

• No need to be nervous, this is already a regular operation of the Indians.

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited March 2023

@jokesonyou said: TRUE MAN, such dump people in our IT Ministry.

These are only political motives, nothing personal

• kaitkait Member

@titaniumboy said: indeed, the registrar need to follow indian law.

Indian law is dogshit and has a good track record on doing a lot of political censoring, never listen to a government that has other interests than facts. Indian gov can shit on the sidewalk. There is 0 reason to listen to governments that just want to use censoring instead of being honest.

Thanked by 1Void
  • Nice move! Let's hope every country set stricter rules with KYC and business verification for each domain purchase. Will drastically reduce phishing attacks.

• kaitkait Member

@Merakith said: Nice move! Let's hope every country set stricter rules with KYC and business verification for each domain purchase. Will drastically reduce phishing attacks.

False. You have 0 data to proof that.

• Send bobs and vagene to unblock

Thanked by 1kait
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@dahartigan said:
    Send bobs and vagene to unblock

sent ass and pinus to a govt official named dahartigan

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited March 2023

You can find the verdict online.

Nobody told the judge that this wont block any sites registered via those services, which was the actual reason and tool to coerce them into complying with takedowns.

Another reason was obviously to drive people to use PDR instead of overseas competitors which they cannot coerce or control. If anything, this just grants monopoly to one company.

Typical Kangaroo court.

Thanked by 2kait jlet88
  • BoogeymanBoogeyman Member
    edited March 2023

Le registrars:

A nation that does most of the scam call center operation trying to teach others what is scam or not.

• @Boogeyman said:
    Le registrars:

A nation that does most of the scam call center operation trying to teach others what is scam or not.

Like USA the war criminal trying to give lecture on democracy.

Or China who blocked all outside websites like Google, Facebook but cry when other countries block their Apps.

Or like Britain who murdered millions of people and looted trillions of $$$$ now lectures others on Human rights..

Like Europe who burns majority of the coals and buys majority of Russian oil and gas but have problem with other countries and wants to stop them using the same..

World is strange right?

Thanked by 1HostEONS
  • kaitkait Member

@BingoBongo said: World is strange right?

@Boogeyman still has a point pajeeb.

• @jokesonyou said:

@jmaxwell said:

@WindsOfChange said:
    Next target appears could be CloudFlare as their public dns still appears to be resolving namecheap

Some Indian bureaucrat reading this: Cloudflare allow? we ban it.
    Another bureaucrat: Cloudflare?..kya flare? Ban cloud.

News next day: Indian government bans all cloud services.

TRUE MAN, such dump people in our IT Ministry.

It was the Indian court who given this order. It's not like minister came into the office and said Namecheap banned.

Star India Pvt Ltd filed a case against those registrars for illegal streaming of Asia Cup tournament. The court sent notices to those DNRs but they haven't took any actions and said they follow only US court orders. Thus, Indian court directed centre to take action on these DNRs.

This is totally a genuine issue and the court did right. The DNRs have been given enough time to take actions. I guess Star India had media rights for Asia cup or something, I don't know the internal things, but this is the details I can get from news. The DNRs may even knew that court directed the centre to take action, but still they haven't took down those illegal platforms.

Thanked by 2BingoBongo HostEONS
  • @kait said:

@titaniumboy said: indeed, the registrar need to follow indian law.

Indian law is dogshit and has a good track record on doing a lot of political censoring, never listen to a government that has other interests than facts. Indian gov can shit on the sidewalk. There is 0 reason to listen to governments that just want to use censoring instead of being honest.

If you don't like some points in the law then you'll not follow the law. Nice philosophy. These are the same people who'll not study if they don't like the education system.

• kaitkait Member

@titaniumboy said: If you don't like some points in the law then you'll not follow the law. Nice philosophy. These are the same people who'll not study if they don't like the education system.

Wow, you're so smart, hope the Indian government is listening to you and giving you much credit score. Yes if I don't like a law that rapes me I will not follow it because I don't want to get raped. If the law says that you will get jailed for walking will you crawl?

• @kait said:

@Merakith said: Nice move! Let's hope every country set stricter rules with KYC and business verification for each domain purchase. Will drastically reduce phishing attacks.

Authenticity Verification: KYC procedures require domain registrants to provide authentic identity proofs such as passport, national ID card, or driver's license. Verifying these documents helps to ensure that the individual registering the domain is who they claim to be, which reduces the likelihood of scammers and phishers using false identities.

Traceability: KYC provides a record of the individual who registered a domain, which makes it easier to trace fraudulent activities to their source. Law enforcement agencies can use these records to track down perpetrators and bring them to justice.

Prevention of Bulk Domain Registrations: Some scammers and phishers register multiple domains to carry out their activities. KYC requirements may deter these individuals from using multiple identities to register domains, which could decrease the number of phishing and scam websites.

Greater Accountability: KYC can hold domain registrants accountable for their actions. This is because their identities are known and traceable, which can discourage them from engaging in fraudulent activities. It can also create a deterrent effect for others who may consider engaging in similar activities.

There is no need of a data to do something new. Before the invention of the internet, no one knew there would be a thing like domain name.

• kaitkait Member

@titaniumboy said: Authenticity Verification: KYC procedures require domain registrants to provide authentic identity proofs such as passport, national ID card, or driver's license. Verifying these documents helps to ensure that the individual registering the domain is who they claim to be, which reduces the likelihood of scammers and phishers using false identities.

Namecheap already does KYC :smile: and does it work? No not really.

• @titaniumboy said:

@kait said:

Authenticity Verification: KYC procedures require domain registrants to provide authentic identity proofs such as passport, national ID card, or driver's license. Verifying these documents helps to ensure that the individual registering the domain is who they claim to be, which reduces the likelihood of scammers and phishers using false identities.

Traceability: KYC provides a record of the individual who registered a domain, which makes it easier to trace fraudulent activities to their source. Law enforcement agencies can use these records to track down perpetrators and bring them to justice.

Prevention of Bulk Domain Registrations: Some scammers and phishers register multiple domains to carry out their activities. KYC requirements may deter these individuals from using multiple identities to register domains, which could decrease the number of phishing and scam websites.

Greater Accountability: KYC can hold domain registrants accountable for their actions. This is because their identities are known and traceable, which can discourage them from engaging in fraudulent activities. It can also create a deterrent effect for others who may consider engaging in similar activities.

There is no need of a data to do something new. Before the invention of the internet, no one knew there would be a thing like domain name.

Based on this post, you would probly install a camera into your toilet too if your government asked for it. They need to know who's flushing trash into sewer network after all.

Thanked by 2kait Luke007
  • @kait said:

@titaniumboy said: Authenticity Verification: KYC procedures require domain registrants to provide authentic identity proofs such as passport, national ID card, or driver's license. Verifying these documents helps to ensure that the individual registering the domain is who they claim to be, which reduces the likelihood of scammers and phishers using false identities.

Do they even take actions or just ignore? And what exactly you meant by does it work?

• @kait said:

He means strong identification like 3D secure or digital citizen verification services.

Thanked by 1kait
  • titaniumboytitaniumboy Member
    edited March 2023

@stefeman said:

@titaniumboy said:

@kait said:

Based on this post, you would probly install a camera into your toilet too if your government asked for it. They need to know who's flushing trash into sewer network after all.

There's no relation with a toilet and a verification process. When people aren't able to fight or support a opinion, they usually talk about off topic things.

• kaitkait Member

@titaniumboy said: There's no relation with a toilet and a verification process. When people aren't able to fight or support a opinion, they usually talk about off topic things.

We just want privacy and not be analraped by the indian gov/police unlike you. You don't fight scammers/hackers with KYC. How many terrorist did the CIA stop by monitoring all the emails and internet traffic from normal US citizens, exactly 0. So stop trying to claim that knowing who is who is good. Spammers/Hackers will find other ways and namecheap can't do shit about it.

• BoogeymanBoogeyman Member
    edited March 2023

In my case Namecheap banned 17 domains at the same time and next day they banned 13 domains because I followed proper procedure of the registrar. Instead of threatening someone with a court order follow proper procedure of registrar. Even then you can't force a registrar to suspend/cancel a domain just because you don't like them. And even after suspension/cancellation of a domain a registrant can invoke registry and take his domain elsewhere. I will sue you in the court only works in your cinemas. Learn how power and jurisdictions work. FBI can seize .com because Verisign is under their jurisdiction. You can seize .in because that is under your jurisdiction.

Thanked by 1kait
  • @kait said:

@titaniumboy said: If you don't like some points in the law then you'll not follow the law. Nice philosophy. These are the same people who'll not study if they don't like the education system.

Wow, you're so smart, hope the Indian government is listening to you and giving you much credit score. Yes if I don't like a law that rapes me I will not follow it because I don't want to get raped. If the law says that you will get jailed for walking will you crawl?

I'm neither a supporter of government, nor against the government. Just giving my opinions.

I think that Section 375 of the IPC defines rape as sexual intercourse without the consent of a woman. Sexual intercourse with a woman who is under 18 years of age, even with her consent, is also considered as rape under the law. The punishment for rape varies depending on the circumstances of the case. The minimum punishment for rape is seven years of imprisonment, which can extend to imprisonment for life. In some cases, the court can also award the death penalty to the perpetrator.
    The law also provides for more severe punishment for certain aggravated forms of rape, such as gang-rape, rape of a minor, rape of a pregnant woman, and rape of a mentally or physically disabled woman.
    The law also recognizes the importance of consent in sexual relations. Sexual activity without the consent of a woman, even if there is no use of force, is considered as rape. The law also provides for punishment for any person who abets, aids, or is involved in the commission of rape.
    The law also requires that any person who has knowledge or suspicion of the commission of rape must report it to the authorities. Failure to report rape can result in criminal prosecution.

There are some bad points in the law but that doesn't mean that you'll reject the whole law. The post and the topic is irrelevant to rape law.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited March 2023

@Boogeyman said:
    In my case Namecheap banned 17 domains at the same time and next day they banned 13 domains because I followed proper procedure of the registrar. Instead of threatening someone with a court order follow proper procedure of registrar. Even then you can't force a registrar to suspend/cancel a domain just because you don't like them. And even after suspension/cancellation of a domain a registrant can invoke registry and take his domain elsewhere. I will sue you in the court only works in your cinemas. Learn how power and jurisdictions work. FBI can seize .com because Verisign is under their jurisdiction. You can seize .in because that is under your jurisdiction.

Hence why the entire ruling is fucking retarded and has nothing to do with "why they follow your court but not mine. Let's block it" argument.

Each TLD is managed separately regardless of registrar, and some India court has zero rights to demand anything from USA or EU registrar if it has nothing to do with .in domains. in this case they were .com, .pw, and other offshore domains.

Thanked by 1kait
  • @kait said:

@titaniumboy said: There's no relation with a toilet and a verification process. When people aren't able to fight or support a opinion, they usually talk about off topic things.

We just want privacy and not be analraped by the indian gov/police unlike you. You don't fight scammers/hackers with KYC. How many terrorist did the CIA stop by monitoring all the emails and internet traffic from normal US citizens, exactly 0. So stop trying to claim that knowing who is who is good. Spammers/Hackers will find other ways and namecheap can't do shit about it.

The government is not making interference in your personal life neither it deploys a camera into your toilet. The internet is used by everyone and it's responsibility of the government to control scams with indians. Internet is now no more personal. Freedom and Privacy are good at some limits. Everything you see and browse on the internet makes some impact on you. India has more than 836,860,000 users, and is the second by the number of internet users. The first is china with 1,051,140,000 and the third is US with 307,200,000
    With increasing number of internet users, the risk of cyber phishing and scamming also increases. It is important for the government to make strong decisions to prevent these. Unlike developed countries, the normal indian user is not that much educated. Every country's culture and demography and the people are different, following privacy practices which are followed by other countries is not the solution.