Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IDrive® e2 – World’s fastest S3 compatible storage?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IDrive® e2 – World’s fastest S3 compatible storage?

Thanked by 1SiliCloud
Which one would be the best? or your favorite?
  1. IDrive e2 vs Backblaze B2 vs Wasabi vs Cloudflare R293 votes
    1. IDrive e2
      20.43%
    2. Backblaze B2
      31.18%
    3. Wasabi
      12.90%
    4. Cloudflare R2
      35.48%

Comments

• Holy what a map! Now I understand why so many flight's from Europe are routed over Madrid, it's so close to the US east coast already

• @Pilzbaum said:
    Holy what a map! Now I understand why so many flight's from Europe are routed over Madrid, it's so close to the US east coast already

:D :D :D
    So which one would be the best? or your favorite?
    E2, B2, Wasabi or R2?

• Depends on usage, if download usage is low then probably wasabi or E2, if download usage is high the Cloudflare r2 is probably the best because it's globally distributed and has no download bandwidth limits like E2 or wasabi

• @Kebab said: if download usage is high the Cloudflare r2 is probably the best

But it seems that Cloudflare r2 does not provide option to select regions?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2023

where ASIA, tell me that again when you are in Australia, its the worlds fastest.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • @vitobotta using it i think.. ?

• nocloudnocloud Member
    edited January 2023

I had Backblaze B2, it really pales in comparison to iDrive at least in my use case. Kept getting Class B and C Transactions Caps with backblaze. where as with iDrive it's been a breath of fresh air, and a lot cheaper. 0.76 cents for 200GB a month is fine by me. Can also get 1tb for $4 a year for the first year if you don't use the PAYG option.

Also the ping seems faster. I sound like an iDrive shill but, honestly it's been loads better for me.

Not tried the Cloudflare option or the other one.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • kdhkdh Member

Even if iDrive has the fastest location, they have the slowest customer support lol
    One of my emails took over a week for them to just copy & paste a predefined response.

• @nocloud said: Not tried the Cloudflare option or the other one.

Cloudflare R2 might not be a good idea for web apps just because its poor network latency with your web servers.

@kdh said:
    Even if iDrive has the fastest location, they have the slowest customer support lol
    One of my emails took over a week for them to just copy & paste a predefined response.

Can't agree more. :#

Thanked by 1kdh
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited January 2023

@EthanZou said:

@Kebab said: if download usage is high the Cloudflare r2 is probably the best

Cloudflare R2 couple of months ago had these locations (they MAY have more now)

• NA, Ohio
    • Europe, Frankfurt
    • Asia, Singapore

When you create bucket/upload data to your bucket it picks nearest location from list above. If your data is uploaded to one location then it stays at this one location.

For example if you are living in Los Angeles then data will be uploaded to Ohio server and you can't select other server or push data after uploading.

Only way to have your data in another region is to use VPN to fake location.

I'm surprised that Cloudflare R2 wins in poll. They don't even have redundancy/replication.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • what are the bandwidth limit/price? I couldn't find that info.

• @AXYZE said:

@EthanZou said:

• NA, Ohio
    • Europe, Frankfurt
    • Asia, Singapore

When you create bucket/upload data to your bucket it picks nearest location from list above. If your data is uploaded to one location then it stays at this one location.

For example if you are living in Los Angeles then data will be uploaded to Ohio server and you can't select other server or push data after uploading.

I'm surprised that Cloudflare R2 wins in poll. They don't even have redundancy/replication.

That's fatal for apps! So e2 or b2 might be a better alternative, I think.

• @badhon_raj said:
    what are the bandwidth limit/price? I couldn't find that info.

IDrive® e2?
    https://www.idrive.com/e2/faq-account-management#egress-policy

• @AXYZE said:

@EthanZou said:

• NA, Ohio
    • Europe, Frankfurt
    • Asia, Singapore

You can use a bucket with a custom domain and benefit from caching though, it's exempt from the normal non-html terms of service. Any cache hits cost you $0. Plus no bandwidth cost, you just pay for operations regardless of file size, and the actual cost of storage. Not the most cost effective for backups, but for hot data, especially something like an installer or large blob data, it's very cheap compared to some of the other options.

• @RealChaika said: but for hot data, especially something like an installer or large blob data, it's very cheap compared to some of the other options.

Why not B2?

• @RealChaika said:
    You can use a bucket with a custom domain and benefit from caching though, it's exempt from the normal non-html terms of service.

Pretty sure that this is false, there is separate terms for caching

from cloudflare rep in discord:
    There’s not going to be any adjustment on Cache ToS. I hope I’ve been very clear about that. If you want to serve media, you can use Stream or host from R2 directly. Cache in front of R2 for non-HTML content requires an ENT plan. None of that is changing with custom CNames to public buckets (which is how you would configure cache in front of R2).

• RealChaikaRealChaika Member
    edited February 2023

@Kebab said:

@RealChaika said:
    You can use a bucket with a custom domain and benefit from caching though, it's exempt from the normal non-html terms of service.

There’s not going to be any adjustment on Cache ToS. I hope I’ve been very clear about that. If you want to serve media, you can use Stream or host from R2 directly. Cache in front of R2 for non-HTML content requires an ENT plan. None of that is changing with custom CNames to public buckets (which is how you would configure cache in front of R2).

The launch was a bit messy and confusing about that, the TOS did get updated though and we have confirmations from various Cloudflare staff saying you can cache R2 since it is part of the developer platform
    https://community.cloudflare.com/t/cloudflare-r2-workers-cache-api-for-video-files/427114/4

The Actual TOS States
    "2.8. Use of the Services for serving video or a disproportionate percentage of pictures, audio files, or other non-HTML content is prohibited, unless purchased separately as part of a Paid Service or expressly allowed under our Supplemental Terms 8 for a specific Service."
    In the supplemental terms:

"(iv) Workers KV, Durable Objects, and R2, storage offerings used to serve HTML and non-HTML content."

It isn't perfect though, as there are still some automated protections for videos that do not have exclusions for R2 Custom Domains and you may need to reach out to Support to get unblocked if it happens to you, but it is allowed now.

• @RealChaika said:

@Kebab said:

@RealChaika said:

The launch was a bit messy and confusing about that, the TOS did get updated though and we have confirmations from various Cloudflare staff saying you can cache R2 since it is part of the developer platform
    https://community.cloudflare.com/t/cloudflare-r2-workers-cache-api-for-video-files/427114/4

The Actual TOS States
    "2.8. Use of the Services for serving video or a disproportionate percentage of pictures, audio files, or other non-HTML content is prohibited, unless purchased separately as part of a Paid Service or expressly allowed under our Supplemental Terms 8 for a specific Service."
    In the supplemental terms:

"(iv) Workers KV, Durable Objects, and R2, storage offerings used to serve HTML and non-HTML content."

It isn't perfect though, as there are still some automated protections for videos that do not have exclusions for R2 Custom Domains and you may need to reach out to Support to get unblocked if it happens to you, but it is allowed now.

:)

E2/Wasabi for Small files.
    B2 for Large files.
    R2 for Cloudflare workers.

Correct?

• Conclusion:
    B2>E2>Wasabi>R2

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @EthanZou said:

@badhon_raj said:

IDrive® e2?

So is it 300TB download per month? or 3x my data?

• @badhon_raj said:

@EthanZou said:

@badhon_raj said:

IDrive® e2?

3x your data. From the link:

Good fit - If the monthly egress (download) is less than or equal to thrice the storage volume.

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

IDrive is the worst and slowest backup server I have seen. And it is a yearly paid service.

*IDrive e2 is a different animal I concur.

But, IDrive is much slower than degoo, the once-free service and I just cannot even navigate thru files in IDrive.
    It is that slow and impossible to do that.

I just needed to express my frustration with this company, idrive and thanks for this thread.

• ardaarda Member
    edited February 2023

I'm using idrive e2 for my mastodon instance, thanks to @vitobotta 's guide (changed bits and pieces but his guide put me into the right direction). Works nicely so far, never had issues, it's fast as hell while browsing from s3cmd /aws s3 ls, and cyberduck etc.. I had some hiccups like delays on upload here and there, but it was a known issue and was taken care of within a day.

I'm residing on Frankfurt edge and using Cloudflare (along with some cache rules to cache assets) in front of it, if that would matter.

IDrive is the worst and slowest backup server I have seen. And it is a yearly paid service.

e2 is different story as you mentioned. There's yearly plans, there's also is pay as you go model, which is $0.004/gb after 10 gb free tier.

• @ptreja said:

@badhon_raj said:

@EthanZou said:

@badhon_raj said:

IDrive® e2?

3x your data. From the link:

Good fit - If the monthly egress (download) is less than or equal to thrice the storage volume.

sorry, missed it on the link somehow.

• Think this will work out for Plex media content storage?

• @badhon_raj said:

@EthanZou said:

@badhon_raj said:

IDrive® e2?

Pay as you go? : 3x storage.
    Yearly plan nT? : 3x nT.

• @doughnet said:
    Think this will work out for Plex media content storage?

Three tips for s3 object storage:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/184358/three-tips-for-s3-object-storage

• ardaarda Member

Heya, anyone having an issue with their s3 api? I can browse through their webui, but through my s3 api key I can only see the contents of root, can't navigate to sub folders or interact with any objects.

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

@arda said:
    Heya, anyone having an issue with their s3 api? I can browse through their webui, but through my s3 api key I can only see the contents of root, can't navigate to sub folders or interact with any objects.

No issues here with their east USA servers.

Thanked by 1arda
  • ardaarda Member
    edited March 2023

I'm at FRA and having this. Newly generated API key also has the same issue for my. bucket as well.

Hmm however I guess I found the issue. They changed.. something.. on the s3 api. Through s3cli or cyberduck etc., I used to connect to my bucket server endpoint as bucketname.mybucketurlfromidrive.com , but altering it as mybucketurlfromidrive.com works.

However, my mastodon instance doesn't work neither which uses the https://mybucketurlfromidrive.com directly.

So I had to add

S3_FORCE_PATH_STYLE=false

to my environment,

And voila, it works!

Maybe some of you guys had encountered to this same error.