Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 NEXTCLOUD UPDATES that will make you ditch Google & Apple - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

5 NEXTCLOUD UPDATES that will make you ditch Google & Apple

Comments

• Ditched those two turds years ago

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@AuroraZero said: Ditched >those two turds years ago

which 2?

• Google and Apple they both rub me the wrong way for some reason. I don't keep anything important with Google anymore.

I used Apple, was even a certified tech before they starting calling them geniuses. Pretentious is all Apple is to me anymore.

• @TrK said:
    I foresee a ranting kid who wants a special feature on FOSS, well you can improve it and build your plugins too, bend it however you like. We use nextcloud so we don't have rely on data hungry corporations for example Google, Microsoft, etc. and it's working fine for it's use case of file synchronisation and sharing platform not a "photo gallery alternative".

So you run a business with a cheeseburger budget and you like nextcloud to replace sharepoint, outlook, and microsoft teams. Got it. :)

• TrKTrK Member

@mosquitoguy said:

@TrK said:
    I foresee a ranting kid who wants a special feature on FOSS, well you can improve it and build your plugins too, bend it however you like. We use nextcloud so we don't have rely on data hungry corporations for example Google, Microsoft, etc. and it's working fine for it's use case of file synchronisation and sharing platform not a "photo gallery alternative".

So you run a business with a cheeseburger budget and you like nextcloud to replace sharepoint, outlook, and microsoft teams. Got it. :)

I don't run any business though 😂

• so excited to use it as i wanted to move away from google,mS but after using for 1-2months their photo gallery with AI feature.... results are pretty disappointing and i used a much better vps but it is damn slow.

first time i used google photos and the way google finds/recognizes ppl is damn smart so sticking with google for now.

someother day nextcloud....

• @mosquitoguy said:

@emgh said:
    He mentioned tons of niche requirements and proceeded to call then idiots for not pleasing his specific requirements and doing it for free.

there's nothing "niche" about my requirements. in fact, it's the MAJOR use case of nextcloud. tell me what YOUR requirements for nextcloud is.

1) nextcloud mail is just roundcube.
    2) calendar-- pick a hundred other calendar apps out there.
    3) chat -- ditto.

So what do you use nextcloud for? saving files on the web and then clicking on them to download back into your pc? lol

without photo support, it's just one big glue for existing opensource software that you could install and use separately. no need for nextcloud.

By your logic no one uses it.

• @Snusboks said:
    Personally i run nextcloud with rclone google storage, giving me virtually unlimited storage. Using the same thing for plex and everything, storing over 300TB of data for $18 for the storage, and $10 for the vps running it all.

Abusing free accounts? 15GB free per account. 300TB for $18 is unreal. 300TB = 20 google accounts!

• @stoned said:

@Snusboks said:
    Personally i run nextcloud with rclone google storage, giving me virtually unlimited storage. Using the same thing for plex and everything, storing over 300TB of data for $18 for the storage, and $10 for the vps running it all.

Abusing free accounts? 15GB free per account. 300TB for $18 is unreal. 300TB = 20 google accounts!

Nope, i use google enterprise - Paying for unlimited storage, 100% legit.

• @tridinebandim said:
    do it for 512 mb...

It'll break too often (php, fpm, mysql, etc).

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited January 2023

No single user enterprise account for $18/year. You may have an Enterprise account, but sounds 100% against license terms.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2023

Tl;dr of 5 new updates for someone who didn't watch the video?

• From YT description:
    00:00 Intro
    00:40 Sponsor: Gain more time before upgrading your CentOS 7 fleet
    01:30 Nextcloud in under a minute
    02:46 Giant Look & Feel upgrades
    03:59 Faster Performance
    05:05 Fantastic Photo Management Tools
    07:06 Mail & Calendar upgrades
    08:12 Private Communication features
    08:57 And all the rest...
    10:20 How to use Nextcloud
    12:32 Sponsor: Get a laptop or desktop that runs Linux perfectly
    13:45 Support the channel

Thanked by 2Arkas Ympker
  • they still don't have Delta sync...

• @emgh said:

Well I'm asking what people are using it for if not for photos but no one is answering. So my assumption is most likely right. people use nextcloud as a dumb web file explorer-- take away the third party addons like roundcube mail that's basically all it is ("dumb" because, can it open microsoft excel and edit online? nope). I just deploy guacamole and get a real web desktop instead of the empty "desktop wannabe" nextcloud is.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@mosquitoguy said: Well I'm asking what people are using it for if not for photos but no one is answering. So my assumption is most likely right. people use nextcloud as a dumb web file explorer

That, or no one wants to answer you :blush:
    I use it for everything else it does, except for photos, as I don't need them online for now.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Sadly no deadpool cheap storage, thats why nextcloud cant replace 1TB storage.

• I was using Dropbox and replaced it with my own NextCloud installation with MyVestaCP control panel (1TB, 1vCPU, 1GB RAM with HostHatch, I have servers with them since September 2019).

We are free to use the applications we like. For example, everyone has choices for backups, control panels, ... and uses what works or knows. Something similar is with NextCloud.

I use NextCloud for file sharing, storage and organization, syncing my devices, backup, and keeping my work on the go.

Yesterday I quickly upgraded via CLI to Nextcloud version 25.0.3.

For Photos and videos, I use Google Photos

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • @TimboJones said:

No single user enterprise account for $18/year. You may have an Enterprise account, but sounds 100% against license terms.

I pay 18 per month, not per year.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • I've really enjoyed the photo updates. It's one of the best updates they've had.

• @Arkas said:
    That, or no one wants to answer you :blush:

nah.. attacking a product is sure to bring fanbois up in arms trying to prove me wrong. that no one is defending it just shows nextcloud only has casual, non-loyal users here-- probably people who want to make use of their idle vps. :D

• @mosquitoguy said:

@emgh said:

Well I'm asking what people are using it for if not for photos but no one is answering. So my assumption is most likely right. people use nextcloud as a dumb web file explorer-- take away the third party addons like roundcube mail that's basically all it is ("dumb" because, can it open microsoft excel and edit online? nope). I just deploy guacamole and get a real web desktop instead of the empty "desktop wannabe" nextcloud is.

It sounds like you were too dumb to install Nextcloud Office properly.

Why do you keep whining about wanting to know people's use of it? This is some lazy fucking research. It does lots of things, but if you're familiar with Dropbox, then you'd have some idea of wtf people use it for and stop being a bitch.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2023

@mosquitoguy said:

@emgh said:

Well I'm asking what people are using it for if not for photos

I’m using it for photos: https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/memories

I haven’t finished importing them all since I found that app, but it’s just redundancy really, nothing that isn’t already on Apple or Google. I’ve had it running a backup of my iCloud Photos at least for a few years. I don’t often browse them there though. It’s bad at that but still better than Dropbox (impossible to browse via their app with my quantity).

Thanked by 3Arkas edrebe emgh
  • I was self hosting Nextcloud but switched a few days ago to Hetzner's managed Nextcloud called Storage Share. It's just 5e/mo for 1TB and works great.

• allow me to be a devil's advocate:

how much beneficial are nextcloud features besides file and photo sync? for idiots like me who don't manage their photos properly, what added benefit there is to setting one up than just to sync the files on your device back to your own storage?

for email, self-hosting is an uphill battle if you want others to receive your mail in inbox.

calendar, etc. are nice to haves, but if you don't want to use email then they become a bit weird and a set of smaller or more lightweight solutions for individual needs becomes more sensible to me.

• @TimboJones said:
    It sounds like you were too dumb to install Nextcloud Office properly.

LOL you and Arkas are perfect for each other. Go visit a gay bar and have some fun together. :D And no, why install nextcloud when a docker image is readily available.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@mosquitoguy said: LOL you and Arkas are perfect for each other. Go visit a gay bar and have some fun together. :D And no, why install nextcloud when a docker image is readily available.

You just earned yourself a warning. :smile:

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • @Arkas said:

@mosquitoguy said: LOL you and Arkas are perfect for each other. Go visit a gay bar and have some fun together. :D And no, why install nextcloud when a docker image is readily available.

You just earned yourself a warning. :smile:

what's hateful about telling you to go to a gay bar and have some fun? it sounds like you're homophobic that you took it as an offense. :D

• Thanked by 1Arkas
  • Lastly I found filestash ( https://www.filestash.app/ ) and for what I’m using Nextcloud for it would be a perfect replacement, which could suit my needs a little more. Do you have any experience with it?