Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


5 NEXTCLOUD UPDATES that will make you ditch Google & Apple
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

5 NEXTCLOUD UPDATES that will make you ditch Google & Apple

ArkasArkas Moderator
edited January 18 in News

I feel that I should share this. We have a lot of discussions about replacing Google services and Apple's. Here is some news on what's coming up on NextCloud. I am very excited about the way it's evolving. This video is based on a 2 vCore and 4GB RAM VPS.
Enjoy.

«13

Comments

  • kaitkait Member

    Love the guy, and love what nextcloud is doing.

    Thanked by 1Arkas
  • Great update -- thanks for the link!

    Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited January 19

    Just FYI, I've installed NextCloud on a 2vC/2GB VPS and it runs fine. It's not as snappy as it is in my 4GB installation, but it is usable.
    P.S.
    With further optimization I think it will be very usable on a 2GB VPS. :wink:

    Thanked by 2sebkehl tomle
  • mrTommrTom Member

    @Arkas said: With further optimization I think it will be very usable on a 2GB VPS.

    if you want to share those optimizations it would surely be appreciated here :wink:

    Thanked by 2ElonBezos tomle
  • @mrTom said:

    @Arkas said: With further optimization I think it will be very usable on a 2GB VPS.

    if you want to share those optimizations it would surely be appreciated here :wink:

    yes please,
    i have it on my 4C 6GB, often think thats too overkill
    (well actually i just need to save some cash with lowering the spec :D )

  • ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited January 19

    @ElonBezos said: yes please,
    i have it on my 4C 6GB, often think thats too overkill

    I will update this thread with the optimizations I am doing on my 2C/2G VPS.
    4C/6G is overkill IMO.

  • do it for 512 mb...

  • Personally i run nextcloud with rclone google storage, giving me virtually unlimited storage. Using the same thing for plex and everything, storing over 300TB of data for $18 for the storage, and $10 for the vps running it all.

    Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • 5 NEXTCLOUD UPDATES that will make you ditch Google & Apple

    The 4th one will surprise you!!

  • @Arkas said:

    @ElonBezos said: yes please,

    i have it on my 4C 6GB, often think thats too overkill

    I will update this thread with the optimizations I am doing on my 2C/2G VPS.
    4C/6G is overkill IMO.

    Thanks mate! Sharing is caring. :smiley:
    Are you running default setup? No disabled apps or anything added/enabled?

  • bdlbdl Member

    How does everybody feel about the lack of at rest encryption for the files stored a VPS'ed Nextcloud install?

  • @bdl said:
    How does everybody feel about the lack of at rest encryption for the files stored a VPS'ed Nextcloud install?

    What do you store so important that needs encryption at home? What kind of video or photo are there? Are you hiding something? When did you start to hide? Come clean and live free.

  • I wish they fixed the bulk upload feature, which is just broken.

  • ArkasArkas Moderator

    @MGarbis said: Are you running default setup? No disabled apps or anything added/enabled?

    I'm trying different configurations now, but I am mostly optimizing Debian 11 and the backend support for NC.

    Thanked by 1MGarbis
  • bdlbdl Member

    @LTniger said:

    @bdl said:
    How does everybody feel about the lack of at rest encryption for the files stored a VPS'ed Nextcloud install?

    What do you store so important that needs encryption at home? What kind of video or photo are there? Are you hiding something? When did you start to hide? Come clean and live free.

    It doesn't need encryption at home because I'm not sharing my home machine with you lot :)

  • iqbaliqbal Member

    @Arkas said:
    Just FYI, I've installed NextCloud on a 2vC/2GB VPS and it runs fine. It's not as snappy as it is in my 4GB installation, but it is usable.
    P.S.
    With further optimization I think it will be very usable on a 2GB VPS. :wink:

    my poor 512MB vps..

    Thanked by 1Ympker
  • What I think wud be a killer feature is automatically reducing video resolution of uploaded videos to a specified max res or giving option of streaming uploaded videos in lower resolutions. I think this is where the branded services really take edge, they stream a lower resolution when the network isn't ideal or u just don't want to gobble up all ur data. Also, I think nginx shud be supported right out of the box.

    The nextcloud snap is great for quick installs but I wud prefer if they had an installer script which did everything for u after asking u some basic configuration questions, if there is one already then I missed it. I had to manually tweak opcache, mysql/cache, config and php/fpm values.

  • I just upgraded a Nextcloud running on 1vC/1GB VPS and it's much nicer with this new update. I'm not a big fan of the AI feature around 6min 40secs in the video but I guess it's optional (for now) to have on. This was a great share - thank you :smiley:

  • lipstick on a pig. nextcloud needs to fix what's broken:

    1) webdav performance is slow as hell, and this is the only way to get files in/out of nextcloud.
    2) database filesystem -- put new files directly into the data directory and nextcloud doesn't see it. you have to scan the entire filesystem so the database can be updated. This makes external synch via 3rd party tools non-functional.
    3) no native HEIC support -- photos are converted to JPG.
    4) no "live photo" support on android -- photos are stills, not moving. On IOS it produces a separate video.
    5) doesn't preserve original filenames on photos (the photos themselves aren't original afterall)-- everything is converted to date/timestamp.
    6) last but not least, shitty mobile app.

    Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • emghemgh Member

    @mosquitoguy said:
    lipstick on a pig. nextcloud needs to fix what's broken:

    1) webdav performance is slow as hell, and this is the only way to get files in/out of nextcloud.
    2) database filesystem -- put new files directly into the data directory and nextcloud doesn't see it. you have to scan the entire filesystem so the database can be updated. This makes external synch via 3rd party tools non-functional.
    3) no native HEIC support -- photos are converted to JPG.
    4) no "live photo" support on android -- photos are stills, not moving. On IOS it produces a separate video.
    5) doesn't preserve original filenames on photos (the photos themselves aren't original afterall)-- everything is converted to date/timestamp.
    6) last but not least, shitty mobile app.

    What?? No live photos on the Android app?? How could anyone use this??

    Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @emgh said:
    What?? No live photos on the Android app?? How could anyone use this??

    I don't know why anyone would use nextcloud to offload their photos. It's not bit-perfect, which is essential if you're archiving photos from your phone. The photo viewing experience on the UI side also suck-- the videos sometimes play and sometimes doesn't. The best photo viewer is Photoprism (supports HEIC natively and live photos), but for all its great features, it doesn't have the basic capability of sorting photos by date. I have to scroll all the way to the bottom of 35,000 pictures to see the latest one. Great design by an idiot.

    Thanked by 1ariq01
  • emghemgh Member

    @mosquitoguy said:

    @emgh said:
    What?? No live photos on the Android app?? How could anyone use this??

    I don't know why anyone would use nextcloud to offload their photos. It's not bit-perfect, which is essential if you're archiving photos from your phone. The photo viewing experience on the UI side also suck-- the videos sometimes play and sometimes doesn't. The best photo viewer is Photoprism (supports HEIC natively and live photos), but for all its great features, it doesn't have the basic capability of sorting photos by date. I have to scroll all the way to the bottom of 35,000 pictures to see the latest one. Great design by an idiot.

    Wow

  • ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited January 20

    @mosquitoguy said: The photo viewing experience on the UI side also suck-- the videos sometimes play and sometimes doesn't

    It works fine with the update. I don't know what or how you're running it.

  • ArkasArkas Moderator

    @emgh said: What?? No live photos on the Android app?? How could anyone use this??

    Have you even tried it before passing judgement?

  • emghemgh Member

    @Arkas said:

    @emgh said: What?? No live photos on the Android app?? How could anyone use this??

    Have you even tried it before passing judgement?

    He mentioned tons of niche requirements and proceeded to call then idiots for not pleasing his specific requirements and doing it for free.

    Thanked by 1Arkas
  • @emgh said:
    He mentioned tons of niche requirements and proceeded to call then idiots for not pleasing his specific requirements and doing it for free.

    there's nothing "niche" about my requirements. in fact, it's the MAJOR use case of nextcloud. tell me what YOUR requirements for nextcloud is.

    1) nextcloud mail is just roundcube.
    2) calendar-- pick a hundred other calendar apps out there.
    3) chat -- ditto.

    So what do you use nextcloud for? saving files on the web and then clicking on them to download back into your pc? lol

    without photo support, it's just one big glue for existing opensource software that you could install and use separately. no need for nextcloud.

  • ArkasArkas Moderator

    @mosquitoguy said: no need for nextcloud.

    You apparently don't know how to install it then. :neutral:

    Thanked by 3emgh maverickp chitree
  • @mosquitoguy said:
    So what do you use nextcloud for?

    Getting files synchronized between all my pc's. Works great!

    Thanked by 1emgh
  • kaitkait Member

    Nextcloud has a cool plugin that shows you a random photo or document and asks you if you want to keep it or not. That way you can slowly delete images and documents you synced but don't actually want to keep anymore. Do that a couple of minutes a day to clean your storage.

  • TrKTrK Member

    I foresee a ranting kid who wants a special feature on FOSS, well you can improve it and build your plugins too, bend it however you like. We use nextcloud so we don't have rely on data hungry corporations for example Google, Microsoft, etc. and it's working fine for it's use case of file synchronisation and sharing platform not a "photo gallery alternative".

Sign In or Register to comment.