Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DMBHosting Offline???? - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DMBHosting Offline????

Comments

• jhjh Member
    edited March 2012

Your data is still there,

I'd probably set up another brand quickly offering similar packages for low end users as a "rescue" solution.

• jhjh Member
    edited March 2012

@DotVPS said: @jtodd , if its in your rack why don't you have contact information on file?

We do, but I've been unable to get hold of him.

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited March 2012

@jtodd said: Your data is still there,

I'd probably set up another brand quickly offering similar packages for low end users as a "rescue" solution.

glad it's :p I'd wait to see what happens, but anyway I don't feel like I would pay an annual fee once more and for a new company before even getting 6 months of my current (replace) annual one.

• tuxtux Member

@jtodd said: I'd probably set up another brand quickly offering similar packages for low end users as a "rescue" solution.

Is your new brand QualityServers.co.uk?

• jhjh Member
    edited March 2012

@tux said: Is your new brand QualityServers.co.uk?

Haha, no. I actually regretted getting out of this market as it was quite a fun one to be in. Looking back I think we could have done a lot better if we automated everything and offered it as a completely unmanaged service, on new hardware. So, three mistakes, three lessons learned. I think that's the key to a successful low end host - good hardware, zero tech time.

Anyway, I'm not jumping to anything here. It depends if it's what people want and what's happening with Daimon's company. I'm not going to set up another brand for the sake of it.

• jhjh Member

@DotVPS said: @jtodd , your Manchester DC same as what BurstNET uses?

Yes

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited March 2012

Website still down, aside from everything else! WTH?

We really need to know from Daimon if he's going to fix the issues or is closing down or anything else, don't we?

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited March 2012

Perhaps @jtodd knew anything for sure, if they will close or not?

• jhjh Member

I will have an update for you this afternoon. I am speaking to Amol, the co-owner of DMBHosting.

Thanked by 2Intcs Magnus
  • jhjh Member

Amol has:
    - Authorised transfer of customers (where possible) and servers to UKCloud Ltd
    - Authorised the release of information about DMBHosting's situation

This is since he as the co-owner of DMBHosting has not heard from Daimon for over a month, so we are unfortunately assuming that his personal situation is such that he can't continue with DMBHosting, which is also reflected by the contact I have had with Daimon.

We will be launching a new brand, ExpertVPS with similar plans to DMBHosting, using similar hardware for OpenVZ and will be working with the Xen clients to offer them something either on our cloud or on OpenVZ.

This is because the OpenVZ server used by DMBHosting is new, good hardware, whereas the Xen one is older and needs replacing to offer a high level of service.

Another update to follow regarding how customers should proceed.

• nabonabo Member

So when rolling out ExpertVPS, will this mean I've to get a yearly contract with the fear that it might be cancelled again after just 1,5 months because you concentrate on high end-users with the cloud, again? Or is there some kind of certainty?

• jhjh Member
    edited March 2012

Nabo

A lot of people are going to have that concern unfortunately. Nobody is going to be forced to get a yearly contract if they don't want one and we're using much better hardware this time around, so things like disk failures won't be show stoppers. Also we're focussing on completely unmanaged servers, so we'll have more time.

• Will you be able to retrieve our data if we choose not to move to ExpertVPS? As I'm not interested in using a VPS for hosting my site data any more, I'm tempted to just move to shared hosting, so I will need my data back.

• @croxio5 my VPS on the Xen node is up. If yours is up, just copy the data off.

• @jtodd

To clarify, if possible:
    Will current customers of DMBHosting have their current packages continued (in some form) once migrated to ExpertVPS, without the need to re-pay?

• croxio5croxio5 Member
    edited March 2012

>

To clarify, if possible:
    Will current customers of DMBHosting have their current packages continued (in some form) once migrated to ExpertVPS, without the need to re-pay?

This.

• jhjh Member

@ElliotJ said: To clarify, if possible:

I'm going to try and do this without anyone having to re-pay, though it will depend on what their billing system has to show, which is offline now. I'm trying to get it back online, then I'll have a poke around and see what we can do.

• nabonabo Member

@liam said: Everyone should give a big hug to jtodd for going out of his way! Although I'm not a client, he really is going the extra mile when he doesn't have to.

It's called investment. ;-)

• I'm somewhat curious to know why this partner didn't keep dmbhosting running. He obviously has executive access/priveleges, otherwise he wouldnt have authority to take dmb's client base to make his new brand.

Personally, I would like to hear from this chap directly before I decide if I want a new company to have my contact info.

Thanked by 1nabo
  • nabonabo Member

@Aldryic said: Personally, I would like to hear from this chap directly before I decide if I want a new company to have my contact info.

At least somebody thinking about the clients! Thanks @aldryic!

• jhjh Member

@nabo said: At least somebody thinking about the clients! Thanks @aldryic!

Excuse me?

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited March 2012

@jtodd said: Excuse me?

Heh... excuse what? Is obvious

• jhjh Member

We won't be taking it over. I would advise you to keep trying to get hold of Daimon.

• @jtodd said: We will be launching a new brand, ExpertVPS with similar plans to DMBHosting

@jtodd said: We won't be taking it over.

Which is it? It can't be both and neither.

• One part of me says Bite it and other part says Spit it. can i do both anyways?

• LESLES Member

The whole story stinks!

• Well, all I can say is, this "partner" for dmbhosting did nothing to keep the company alive in Daimon's absence. Nor has he made any appearance here to explain things publicly. Apparently he has no problems with starting a new company, however...

My problem in this is that if he was part of the failure of the first company, why would I trust the second? Yes, I was a dmbhosting client... and while I don't want any type of compensation, an explanation at the least would be courteous. No offense to you, @jtodd, but it sounds like you'll be taking on this new brand pretty much solo.

• sturdyvpssturdyvps Member
    edited March 2012

Amol has:

• Authorised transfer of customers (where possible) and servers to UKCloud Ltd
    • Authorised the release of information about DMBHosting's situation

This is since he as the co-owner of DMBHosting has not heard from Daimon for over a month, so we are unfortunately assuming that his personal situation is such that he can't continue with DMBHosting, which is also reflected by the contact I have had with Daimon.

Hmm, this co-owner of DMBHosting - does he have authority to authorize anything? Is he officially registered as a co-owner at the Companies House?

Seems to me what is being done here could have legal consequences in the future. And it also seems to me that Daimon is the only person who can authorize anything.

• aldryic

i am responsible for the non-technical aspects of DMB. Daimon used to handle all the technical support. But due his personal issues he back out completely, even though i have all the access priveleges i couldent do anything as i am unexperienced in the technical area. All i can say is i honestly put an effort towards saving DMB hosting.

I tried to get a few techies on-board but they too backed out. I have been trying constantly to get in touch with Daimon, but haven't found any luck yet.

• aldryic

i am responsible for the non-technical aspects of DMB. Daimon used to handle all the technical support. But due his personal issues he back out completely, even though i have all the access priveleges i couldent do anything as i am unexperienced in the technical area. All i can say is i honestly put an effort towards saving DMB hosting.

I tried to get a few techies on-board but they too backed out. I have been trying constantly to get in touch with Daimon, but haven't found any luck yet.