Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think is the best domain registrar out there?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you think is the best domain registrar out there?

AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
edited November 2022 in General

There's a lot of domain registrars out there, and lots of competition. I'm curious, what do you think is the best domain registrar?

At the moment, I'm using a mixture of Cloudflare, Dynadot, Porkbun, NameSilo, and Namecheap for my domain names. Back when I got into hosting over 6 years ago, I ended up using Namecheap as my primary registrar, and they ended up being pretty solid. Live chat was speedy, and overall I had no issues with them. However, within the past 1-2 years, I decided to try out registrars such as Cloudflare, Dynadot, Porkbun, and Namesilo which all ended up being pretty decent.

What do you use as your primary domain registrar? Do you prefer one over the other?

Comments

• Njalla, cloudflare, netim, namesilo

• I have a resellerclub reseller account. Never got any issue to contact their support.
    But I don't recommend resellerclub because of their little higher pricing.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Personally I wouldn't call or say a specific registrar to be "the best".

From a domain name registration's perspective, all the ones you've mentioned are ok, so just go with whichever you and your wallet's happy with :smiley:

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • Dynadot, Porkbun and cloudflare for me. Going great.

• Cloudflare + porkbun

• @Advin said:
    There's a lot of domain registrars out there, and lots of competition. I'm curious, what do you think is the best domain registrar?

At the moment, I'm using a mixture of Cloudflare, Dynadot, Porkbun, NameSilo, and Namecheap for my domain names. Back when I got into hosting over 6 years ago, I ended up using Namecheap as my primary registrar, and they ended up being pretty solid. Live chat was speedy, and overall I had no issues with them. However, within the past 1-2 years, I decided to try out registrars such as Cloudflare, Dynadot, Porkbun, and Namesilo which all ended up being pretty decent.

What do you use as your primary domain registrar? Do you prefer one over the other?

Dynadot has good account security I really like the way they do their business. I stopped using sav for my domains after one of their employee's unlocked one of my domains without me even knowing it had happend. I've never had this problem with dynadot and all my domains are with them now. Namecheap is also pretty good.

• sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited November 2022

Not anonymous speaking, but I would consider EasyDNS as the best registar. Their pricing is higher but never had any issues with them.

In the past (use web.archive.org) they are against NSA and censorship. But they removed from their main website.

https://easydns.com/blog/2016/06/06/riaa-to-org-registry-take-down-thepiratebay/

If you are looking for cheap domains, avoid and don't waste your time, but here is my choice goes to:
    https://easydns.com/

Others that I may consider is
    Dynadot
    Gandi
    Njal.la

• Surprised nobody has mentioned

Epik - Free Speech, Register & Host Your Domain Now!
    https://www.epik.com

• For my DE domains I have been using https://do.de . Have been decent so far :)

• seb1gseb1g Member
    edited November 2022

I like Njalla so far. They have anonymous registration, tor hidden service and crypto payments.

• @johnnyquestion said:
    Surprised nobody has mentioned

Epik - Free Speech, Register & Host Your Domain Now!
    https://www.epik.com

Epik Kick away me by marked all of my Credit & Debit Card to fraud after they Hacked and customer data leak.

I have to transfer to the others registar. And all of my card can paid without any problem.

• NameSilo and Namecheap would be my preferred ones. Mainly been sticking stuff in NameSilo lately.

• Namesilo, Internetbs and Porkbun.

• @Triceratops said:
    NameSilo and Namecheap would be my preferred ones. Mainly been sticking stuff in NameSilo lately.

Not saying I disagree, but there are some things worth to consider:

Namesilo: someone here mentioned having domain deactivated without any notice
    Namecheap: 3 offices with ~1000 employees in Ukraine (given current situation, it might have impact on reliability)

BTW, any registrar allowing own DN-servers on IPv6 (or dual-stack)? Using netfirms, but they register upstream only IPv4...

• @sandoz said:
    Not anonymous speaking, but I would consider EasyDNS as the best registar. Their pricing is higher but never had any issues with them.

In the past (use web.archive.org) they are against NSA and censorship. But they removed from their main website.

https://easydns.com/blog/2016/06/06/riaa-to-org-registry-take-down-thepiratebay/

If you are looking for cheap domains, avoid and don't waste your time, but here is my choice goes to:
    https://easydns.com/

Others that I may consider is
    Dynadot
    Gandi
    Njal.la

Thank you, I didn't realize easydns did registration and it's possible to get anycast DNS with it.

I'll have to check this out.

• I use sav, porkbun, cloudflare and cosmotown.

• fabbyfabby Member
    edited November 2022

Porkbun & Cloudflare

• Namesilo +1

• Most of my domains I have with namesilo

• ArkasArkas Moderator

I avoid using "best" for anything in general. But my overall preferred registrar is NameCheap. I also like Sav and to a lesser degree Epik.

• Don't shoot, ... I am using IONOS (aka 1&1), no problem so far.

• I am using znetlive. No issues since 2009. 24*7 support via chat and ticket. Low price compared to other well known providers.

Thanked by 1sayan
  • I use Namecheap, Sav, Namesilo & Gandi (for some obscure domains). Used to use Dynadot/Porkbun but moved out of those recently mostly UI related.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited November 2022

Name.com has been my favourite registrar for more than a decade, but they are simply too expensive now.

Most of my gTLDs stuff is transferred from them to the Sav, some to (not overwhelming but cheap) Cosmotown and some to Regery. Just because of the price.
    I am pretty sure that I have still some domains with Namecheap and Dynadot. And Netim for ccTLDs of course. Oh, and there's also Loopia for .se domains.

Thing is, there's really not much to do for me with the registrar apart from paying invoices once nameservers are set. Domains are sorta idle product. Even those in production.

@SteveMC said:
    Don't shoot, ... I am using IONOS (aka 1&1), no problem so far.

You're brave man! :)

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • Some features you may want in your registrar:

• low ttl support for DynDNS
    • API for easy lets encrypt plugins
    • support for new DNS updates, like when that CAA one got added.
    • templates for quickly setting multiple records for popular services

After like a decade, I've moved most away from Namesilo because of 15 minute ttl's, and several times running into bugs entering into their DNS fields and they escaped incorrectly. One time, a transfer didn't work until readding records.

Thanked by 1stephanuk
  • emgemg Veteran

I consolidated all of my domains to Cloudflare. I chose them for their "at cost" renewal pricing. Using Cloudflare as your domain registrar comes with strings attached. You must use Cloudflare's DNS, and your domain registration is private in the whois lookup. Check out the recent Cloudflare thread here on LowEndTalk to learn more.

The "best" domain registrar I used was Gandi, but they cost more.

The worst domain registrar I ever used was AIT. Avoid them.

• My favorite registrar is namecheap, even though their prices are not cheap. I love their fast support and good GUI. Here’s other registrars I’ve used in the past and the point I don’t like:

CloudFlare: forced to use their nameserver
    Porkbun: Recently they switched to CloudFlare NS, so CloudFlare SSL certificates are automatically requested for newly registered domain. I personally don’t like this behavior so I won’t use them in the future unless they change this.
    Namesilo: ancient GUI
    A bunch of Chinese registrars: big brother is watching you, legal restrictions, etc

So what I love is: simple process, good GUI and never do anything behind the scene. Namecheap fits all in my personal experience.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

For my most important domains I use Google. Second is CloudFlare. I used to use Namecheap and have a few on them, but don't use them for anything new.

• Njalla and Porkbun.

Thanked by 1dragonballz2k