Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think is the best domain registrar out there? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you think is the best domain registrar out there?

Comments

• Google Domains, Namecheap, and Porkbun respectively.

• @Jarry said:

@Triceratops said:
    NameSilo and Namecheap would be my preferred ones. Mainly been sticking stuff in NameSilo lately.

Not saying I disagree, but there are some things worth to consider:

Namesilo: someone here mentioned having domain deactivated without any notice
    Namecheap: 3 offices with ~1000 employees in Ukraine (given current situation, it might have impact on reliability)

BTW, any registrar allowing own DN-servers on IPv6 (or dual-stack)? Using netfirms, but they register upstream only IPv4...

I haven't heard anything bad about NameSilo. They seem fine for me. Been using them for a long time.

Namecheap I used to get away from 1&1. Now that's a crappy registry and host if anyone remembers the pages of ads in PC World.

• Namesilo

Wanna move to Cloudflare few month ago, but cancel it after know their DNS NS policy

• best domain registrar in terms of what? - pricing, features, support or free-speech / DMCA friendly? - the names can fluctuate accordingly.

But I would keep good domains at namecheap, namesilo, mr.domain.
    for cheaper .com I will got with cosmotown
    for free-speech/dmca-friendly I will go with shinjiru, nicenic, the-online.com, todaynic, ourdomains.com, nameisp
    for Notorious I will go with Njalla.

And avoid following at all costs: godaddy, network solutions, epik, znet live, bigrock, connectreseller/ownregistrar,

Thanked by 2Mumbly khalequzzaman
  • For best experince i would like to go with namesilo, then namecheap.
    For usual cheap domains, sav and porkbun

• Namecrane by @Francisco

• edited November 2022

@jiggawattz said:
    Namecrane by @Francisco

How many domains you got there?
    https://namecrane.com/

Thanked by 1greentea
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@johnnyquestion said: How many domains you got there?

https://namecrane.com/

Exactly 0. He's just poking fun, as he should.

It's still 'to be released', just a time/man power thing at the moment.

Francisco

Thanked by 1greentea
  • m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

Cosmotown is the cheapest and most secure. Nothing will work without contacting support. /s

Thanked by 2mrTom greentea
  • fendixfendix Member
    edited November 2022

@Astro said:
    Njalla, cloudflare, netim, namesilo

Njalla: Tucows reseller and overpriced whois-privacy. If someone files a big complaint, they drop u instantly. Idk how they're a good registrar.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited November 2022

@fendix said:

@Astro said:

Njalla: Tucows reseller and overpriced whois-privacy. If someone files a big complaint, they drop u instantly. Idk how they're a good registrar.

Njal.la doesn't use tucows for all domains, they also use Sarek.fi ;)
    Which domains they use, I don't know but they use that.

• @Mumbly said:
    Name.com has been my favourite registrar for more than a decade, but they are simply too expensive now.

Most of my gTLDs stuff is transferred from them to the Sav, some to (not overwhelming but cheap) Cosmotown and some to Regery. Just because of the price.
    I am pretty sure that I have still some domains with Namecheap and Dynadot. And Netim for ccTLDs of course. Oh, and there's also Loopia for .se domains.

Thing is, there's really not much to do for me with the registrar apart from paying invoices once nameservers are set. Domains are sorta idle product. Even those in production.

@SteveMC said:
    Don't shoot, ... I am using IONOS (aka 1&1), no problem so far.

You're brave man! :)

Transfer .se to Inleed. Free (does not renew).

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • @emgh said: Transfer .se to Inleed. Free (does not renew).

Not yet. Still waiting for this infamous Loopia request for the ID. I feel left out.

• @Mumbly said:

@emgh said: Transfer .se to Inleed. Free (does not renew).

Not yet. Still waiting for this infamous Loopia request for the ID. I feel left out.

Loopia is decent actually, it’s just their client area is extremely ugly & their prices are among the highest.

One thing I love about them is that they’ve integrated BankID (the digital verification system in Sweden) and allow you to fully disable any login attempts not using BankID.

Really nice.

• Been using Namecheap since 2009 and never had an issue. Support has been there 24/7. Easy to push domains to other NC users. Can't really say anything bad about them.

Recently been moving a few domains to Cloudflare but meh. Seems overrated. They don't support that many tld's, settings are very limited, can't change NS. I'll probably pay $1 - $2 more and use NC or Porkbun.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @Wicked said:
    Been using Namecheap since 2009 and never had an issue. Support has been there 24/7. Easy to push domains to other NC users. Can't really say anything bad about them.

Recently been moving a few domains to Cloudflare but meh. Seems overrated. They don't support that many tld's, settings are very limited, can't change NS. I'll probably pay $1 - $2 more and use NC or Porkbun.

I mean it’s not that limited, just the NS part.

Their DNS service is one of the best there is.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • Namecheap is my go-to

• AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

I use Dynadot & Google domains

• analoganalog Member
    edited November 2022

For privacy or domains I dont wanna risk with normal registrars I like Njalla for everything else I'm currently using a mix between Name.com, NameSilo, and Porkbun.

I liked Name.com a lot more before they got bought by Donuts since they removed most of my account level pricing I got over the last 15 years so Im slowly moving my domains away.

When I had a lot more domains in years past (around 300~) I was with Internet.bs but their pricing used to be based off of how many domains are in your account (Maybe its still this way?). When I no longer had all the domains I stopped using them since I didnt quality for their cheaper rates.

While I tried porkbun in the past they suspended one of my domains due to a false positive google safesearch warning so I stopped and transfered my domains away, I heard they stopped so I transfered some back, now I hear they are doing this again (From reading the topic here on LET) I might be moving my domains away again.

Cloudflare I like but dont use since I don't always want to be forced to use cloudflare.

Lastly I got a .al domain and use cloudyhost.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @fendix said:

@Astro said:

Of course if you’re violating ToS you would get dropped (assuming you’re doing things against ToS)

The only time I’ve had a domain get suspended at njalla was at the ccTLD level, which they had no control over (would’ve happened at any registrar, owner of the ccTLD themselves pulled the plug and didn’t even tell njalla)

Njalla is good because they don’t ask for your name, address number etc. Only registrar I know that does such a thing. All you need is an email and password, put some money on your account via crypto and you’re golden to register whatever you want. I don’t mind paying the extra for the ease of not putting fake information in, and risking getting suspended for putting a fake name // address (happened on Porkbun)

• @sandoz said:

@fendix said:

@Astro said:

Njal.la doesn't use tucows for all domains, they also use Sarek.fi ;)
    Which domains they use, I don't know but they use that.

You can see a list of domains they use sarek.fi with here: https://sarek.fi/price/

Thanked by 1kait
  • JJFranksJJFranks Member
    edited November 2022

I use Godaddy, Epik, 2 more in America, and 1 in Africa. For hosting, I use 3 different companies. I'm happy with all of them!

Thanked by 1emg
  • sav.com, netim, porkbun

• Porkbun

• Buy the domain from Porkbun/Gandi and use Cloudflare NS.

• @emg said:
    I consolidated all of my domains to Cloudflare. I chose them for their "at cost" renewal pricing. Using Cloudflare as your domain registrar comes with strings attached. You must use Cloudflare's DNS, and your domain registration is private in the whois lookup. Check out the recent Cloudflare thread here on LowEndTalk to learn more.

The "best" domain registrar I used was Gandi, but they cost more.

The worst domain registrar I ever used was AIT. Avoid them.

I am managing almost all my DNS records in cloudflare. Their DNS records interface is easy to use, they have an API supported by certbot for wild card certificates from letsencrypt, have almost instantaneous propagation of updated dns records. So it seemed like a no brainer to use them as a domain registrar and I ended up transferring some of my domains there. But then recently saw someone posting here or on some other forum, of not being able to access their domains after their cloudflare account was suspended over some DMCA related complaint or some other complaint, against a site they were reverse proxying over cloudflare. Since I have got some sites reverse proxied over cloudflare as well, that has spooked me. So I am going back to using namecheap, porkbun, google domains, godaddy as registrars with just the nameservers pointing to cloudflare for managing dns records.

• I did some calculation and this is how many times people said a good word about and/or are using service. I didn't check calculations and left OP out.

Njalla 6
    Cloudflare 10
    Netim 3
    Namesilo 11
    Resellerclub 1
    all is ok 1
    Dynadot 5
    Porkbun 13
    mrdomain 2
    Namecheap 12
    EasyDNS 1
    Gandi 4
    Epik 3
    do.de 1
    Internetbs 1
    sav 6
    cosmotown 4
    ionos 1
    znetlive 1
    name.com 2
    regery 1
    loopia 2
    Google 4
    shinjiru 1
    nicenic 1
    the-online.com 1
    todaynic 1
    ourdomais.com 1
    nameisp 1
    cloudyhost 1
    godaddy 2

Thanked by 2badhon_raj rawvid
  • only two mentions of godaddy? I thought they are good? aren't they?
    I prefer Namecheap by the way.

• sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited February 2023

Gandi, EasyDNS for serious domains.

Cloudflare is a no-no, Porkbun based in their statements in the forum. I never will go with them, but is that me.

• emgemg Veteran

@badhon_raj said:
    only two mentions of godaddy? I thought they are good? aren't they?
    I prefer Namecheap by the way.

GoDaddy has been trouble every time I have had to deal with them. I have never used them myself, but have helped others. Do yourself a favor and avoid GoDaddy.