Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free NAT KVMs! -- Twelve Locations! -- US, EU, GB, JP -- FreeVPS.org - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free NAT KVMs! -- Twelve Locations! -- US, EU, GB, JP -- FreeVPS.org

Comments

• 007sascha007sascha Member
    edited October 2022

Even without ipv4 it great, with nat its perfect.

ThanksGTHost

(because of low posts, but old account, donation is also possible)

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • It's been a prem experience thus far. Very nice

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@007sascha said:
    Even without ipv4 it great, with nat its perfect.

ThanksGTHost

(because of low posts, but old account, donation is also possible)

Hi @007sascha! If you want to go the donation route, please make the donation and post or PM proof of the donation. Thanks for your interest in FreeVPS.org. Thanks GTHost!

Hi Guys!

The Chicago server seems to be holding up okay. Thanks to @GTHost, who just renewed the server for another month. Monthly fee $132.00. Current post-payment balance US$1,435.70.

I've had several discussions with various possible donors about additional servers in London, Europe, and California. Looks like something might happen.

FreeVPS.org is looking for a few more people:

All these are unpaid positions, but perhaps they offer opportunities for people to develop their skills and to obtain practical experience that might enrich their resumes.

Best wishes!

Tom

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Not_Oles said:
    additional servers in London, Europe, and California

TIL London is not part of Europe.
    It's Her His Majesty's standalone continent.

a system administrator to help when @TheOnlyDK is sleeping,

The sysadmin is not allowed to sleep.
    Problem solved.

All these are unpaid positions

TomBucks when?

perhaps they offer opportunities for people to develop their skills and to obtain practical experience that might enrich their resumes.

Let's nominate @skorupion.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@yoursunny Thanks for your humor! Thanks for bouncing the thread! Thanks for helping us configure the server! ✔️

Hi guys!

I was just looking at the node. There are two VPSes which seem to be running 100% CPU constantly. Neither is using much net or disk I/O.

On one of the two:

• There is a log entry showing a failed shutdown attempt.

• Guest Agent is not running.

• It's using 128 MiB of RAM.

The other is

• using 185 MiB of RAM.

I'm curious about what's going on inside these two VPSes. If either is your VPS, could you please PM @TheOnlyDK and me to let us know what is happening?

Thanks! :)

Tom

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
    edited October 2022

Here's a yabs that I ran inside my VPS a moment ago.

root@vm1XX:~# curl -sL yabs.sh | bash
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2022-08-20                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Thu 27 Oct 2022 08:10:11 PM CDT

Basic System Information:

---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 4 days, 3 hours, 31 minutes
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2678 v3 @ 2.50GHz
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 2499.998 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 976.6 MiB
    Swap       : 975.0 MiB
    Disk       : 8.8 GiB
    Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
    Kernel     : 5.10.0-19-amd64

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 186.78 MB/s  (46.6k) | 372.97 MB/s   (5.8k)
    Write      | 187.27 MB/s  (46.8k) | 374.93 MB/s   (5.8k)
    Total      | 374.05 MB/s  (93.5k) | 747.91 MB/s  (11.6k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 425.51 MB/s    (831) | 440.82 MB/s    (430)
    Write      | 448.11 MB/s    (875) | 470.18 MB/s    (459)
    Total      | 873.63 MB/s   (1.7k) | 911.01 MB/s    (889)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 95.9 Mbits/sec  | 98.2 Mbits/sec 
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 99.5 Mbits/sec  | 98.0 Mbits/sec 
    Hybula          | The Netherlands (40G)     | 99.7 Mbits/sec  | 97.7 Mbits/sec 
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 91.1 Mbits/sec  | 93.0 Mbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 103 Mbits/sec   | 100 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 103 Mbits/sec   | 100 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 102 Mbits/sec   | 99.0 Mbits/sec 

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 98.6 Mbits/sec  | 96.6 Mbits/sec 
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 98.3 Mbits/sec  | 96.7 Mbits/sec 
    Hybula          | The Netherlands (40G)     | 99.0 Mbits/sec  | 96.5 Mbits/sec 
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 88.1 Mbits/sec  | 92.4 Mbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 103 Mbits/sec   | 98.8 Mbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 103 Mbits/sec   | 98.8 Mbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 102 Mbits/sec   | 98.3 Mbits/sec 

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 791                           
    Multi Core      | 795                           
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/18265440

root@vm1XX:~# 

• @Not_Oles said: There is a log entry showing a failed shutdown attempt.

that was probably mine.
    There was a lag and I may have choose the wrong boot option
    i can't remember what that was.
    noticed it used 100% of my allocated cpu's
    so I tried shutting it down but it fails.
    later that day, i tried again and it was successful.
    I restarted the vps and started installing debian 11.
    no other problems so far.
    currently the setup satisfy my needs and im no need of custom forwarded ports.
    thank you @Not_Oles and @TheOnlyDK and @GTHost for letting me play this nat vps.

ThanksGTHost

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
    edited October 2022

Hi @unfortunately!

Fortunately :) your VPS seems to be behaving itself. I checked CPU, RAM, disk, net usage, and everything seems okay.

Since you mentioned the logs, I also checked Proxmox' Cluster Log and did not see any Shutdown Error report entries for your VPS. There were a couple of Console Logins, but that's it. The log entries to which I referred above were in Proxmox' Cluster Log.

As I believe you might be able to see in the Proxmox Control Panel, your VPS' Task History does show a couple of quit/powerdown failures.

It's unclear to me at the moment what the difference might be between a quit/powerdown task failure in the Task History and a Shutdown Error entry into the Cluster Log.

I believe we are using Proxmox' defaults for whatever gets entered into the logs. At some point I have to check to see Proxmox' settings about what gets logged where.

I believe that not running Guest Agent inside the VPS -- not your case, but is the case in one of the VPSes mentioned above -- disables the ability of the Control Panel's Shutdown button to shutdown the VPS. I think, without Guest Agent, the shutdown has to come from within the VPS (perhaps via the Control Panel's VNC or else via ssh).

Yyour VPS seems to be doing great, and I am delighted that you are using it! Thanks again for your report! Any more questions or anything else you need, please let us know.

Thanks GTHost!

Best wishes!

Tom

@Not_Oles said:
    Hi guys!

I was just looking at the node. There are two VPSes which seem to be running 100% CPU constantly. Neither is using much net or disk I/O.

On one of the two:

The other is

• using 185 MiB of RAM.

I'm curious about what's going on inside these two VPSes. If either is your VPS, could you please PM @TheOnlyDK and me to let us know what is happening?

Tom

Now Proxmox Control Panel reports that both these two VPSes do not have Guest Agent running. Both still are reported by the Control Panel as using 100% CPU.

Both guys seem to have been active here on LES since I posted above. Could you guys please check your VPSes and post here or PM me and @TheOnlyDK?

I'm thinking I ought to shut these two VPSes down -- if necessary by killing the Qemu process that's running them.

PMs being sent to both guys.

Thanks! And Best Wishes!

Tom

• @Not_Oles said:
    Hi guys!

On one of the two:

The other is

• using 185 MiB of RAM.

Tom

Mine was the one with a failed shutdown. I have no clue what it was doing but I've since manually stopped it.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@mikewazar said: Mine was the one with a failed shutdown. I have no clue what it was doing but I've since manually stopped it.

Thanks for your report! The Control Panel now also believes your VPS is shut down. No worries! Stuff happens. We look forward to your seeing your VPS running again soon! Best wishes! Tom

@Not_Oles said:
    Both guys seem to have been active here on LES since I posted above.

Moderators are not allowed to mention competitors.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@yoursunny said:

@Not_Oles said:

Hi @yoursunny!

Thank you for posting. Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "competitors." Can't everybody see the "Last Active" field on all other members' profiles? What I meant was that the "Last Active" field on those two guys profiles was updated subsequent to my post in this thread asking for information about the two interesting VPSes.

Anyway, one of the two interesting VPSes already is taken care of, and I am sure the other will be fixed soon.

Do you want to join the Board of Directors of FreeVPS.org? We are looking for some Board members.

Hope you have a nice weekend!

Tom

@Not_Oles said:

@yoursunny said:

@Not_Oles said:

I don't understand what you mean by "competitors."

You wrote LES.
    Oops.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

Muscle memory! :) Mental blockage! :) Something could have happened in the background!? :)

• Page6, I want to continue to entry. (๑•̀ㅂ•́)و
    I want to use it to improve my Linux basic skills
    Thanks @GTHost and @TheOnlyDK @Not_Oles

ThanksGTHost

Thanked by 2TheOnlyDK Not_Oles

Hi @Konbu! I think we're gonna give out some more VPSes pretty soon. If that doesn't happen soon, you can have mine.

Thanked by 1Konbu

Guys!

Just took a quick look at the node, which seems to be doing okay. It's a quiet Friday night:

• CPU usage: 1.19% of 24 CPU(s)
    • Load Average: 0.35,0.44,0.51
    • RAM usage: 20.97% (13.15 GiB of 62.69 GiB)
    • Disk space: 5.17% (75.43 GiB of 1.42 TiB)
    • IO delay: 0.00%
    • Swap usage: 0.00% (0 B of 7.75 GiB)
    • @TheOnlyDK: Back again, delighted to see him! :)

It seems like there might be 7 VPSes which were allocated and delivered but which haven't been installed yet. 🤔 If you haven't installed your VPS, and you need help installing, or if you need extra time, please let us know. If you no longer want to use your VPS, please post here releasing it so we can reallocate to someone who really needs it. We might reallocate those unused VPSes in another day or so pretty please either start using yours or let us know what's up. Thanks!

Please check out @raindog308's great article on our FreeVPS.org project! I took a peek at the WP stats. It looks like the article was really popular! Thanks to Andrew 🤩 for the great article!

Thanks @GTHost!

• @Not_Oles said: If you no longer want to use your VPS, please post here releasing it so we can reallocate to someone who really needs it.

Thanks for the excellent offer. The VPS has been stable so far.
    I idle the VPS, so I'd like to cancel it. Hope more people in need can utilise the service.

Thank you again.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles TheOnlyDK
  • Will get around to installing and hooking it into my tailscale network today

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@mikewazar said:
    Will get around to installing and hooking it into my tailscale network today

Thanks for keeping in touch! If you need more time, it's fine. Just let us know.

Maybe we should double resources for people who keep in touch? :) I haven't heard anything from the owners of 5 of the 7 inactive VPSes that I asked about yesterday. Guys?

Greetings from Sonora! 🏜️

• Wow, such a great offer! Is Chicago (US) the only available location?

ThanksGTHost

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
    edited October 2022

@dimqua said:
    Wow, such a great offer! Is Chicago (US) the only available location?

ThanksGTHost

Hi @dimqua!

As of right now, Chicago is the only available location. I was talking to a provider about a server in London, but that provider seemed to stop responding in our DM conversation.

We're definitely looking for additional servers in other locations.

I think we'll have more Chicago instances to distribute soon, and I will do my best to snag one for you.

Happy News for today is that @FatGrizzly has volunteered to help out with system administration. Please welcome @FatGrizzly to the FreeVPS.org team!

Additional Happy News is that @Cloudie has contributed a frantech instance which comes with a Blesta license. Besides Blesta, we're also excited to be looking at @ravi's really nice hext template.

Thanks @Cloudie!

Thanks @ravi!

Thanks @GTHost!

Thanks @FatGrizzly!

Thanks @TheOnlyDK!

• Thank you guys once again for the awesome project. @GTHost @Cloudie @TheOnlyDK @Not_Oles
    My VPS works great without any issues. To prevent idle vps, imo it would be better if ask the members to install theirs within specified time limit or they will be revoked. The post #1 should be updated as well.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2022

@Not_Oles said:
    Hi guys!

On one of the two:

The other is

• using 185 MiB of RAM.

Tom

Hmm.. I had initial problems during the installation process with getting the network to work. During that time I had some failed shutdown attempts, but after @TheOnlyDK took a look and helped me setup things I haven't had any issues anymore iirc. Only running @Nyr OpenVPN script on there, so shouldn't be hogging much resources, if any while idle. If it's my vps that is misbehaving just pm me and I'll take a look.

Just checked Proxmox Dashboard and it's using like 0,53% of CPU and RAM usage stays below 128MB. So... probably not me.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@jwg29859 said:
    Thank you guys once again for the awesome project. @GTHost @Cloudie @TheOnlyDK @Not_Oles
    My VPS works great without any issues. To prevent idle vps, imo it would be better if ask the members to install theirs within specified time limit or they will be revoked. The post #1 should be updated as well.

Good suggestion! Thanks!

Thanked by 1jwg29859

@Ympker said: Only running @Nyr OpenVPN script on there

Hi @Ympker!

Thanks for your report!

@Ympker said: Just checked Proxmox Dashboard and it's using like 0,53% of CPU and RAM usage stays below 128MB. So... probably not me.

Thanks for checking!

Here's what's happening according to the Proxmox Control Panel on the chi1 node:

• CPU usage: 1.45% of 24 CPU(s)

• IO delay: 0.00%

• Load average: 0.38,0.41,0.43

• RAM usage: 21.82% (13.68 GiB of 62.69 GiB)

• HD space: 5.21% (76.04 GiB of 1.42 TiB)

• SWAP usage: 0.00% (0 B of 7.75 GiB)

Here's from vnstat:

• vnstat eno1 today: rx 282.63 MiB, tx 143.59 MiB

Looks like we have

• 15 VPSes running fine, plus

• 1 that's been canceled by the user,

• 1 that's about to be installed per @mikewazar's post above, and

• 6 which were allocated and provisioned but apparently never installed

@TheOnlyDK @FatGrizzly I suggest reallocating the 6 apparently never installed VPSes. I think this is the third time I have posted requesting updates about these VPSes. Also updating the OP to include reallocation as @jwg29859 suggested.

Friendly greetings!

Tom

Thanks @GTHost!

Thanked by 2jwg29859 Ympker

Here's the current, updated FreeVPS.org request list.

To make this update, I started with the last list at https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3500188/#Comment_3500188.

Then I removed the winners listed in the same post.

Then I added new requests from pages 5 and 6 and renumbered the list. The result appears below. I expect that @TheOnlyDK and @FatGrizzly will be allocating more VPSes when the time is right.

@TheOnlyDK As you know, I am going to be busy learning some more C in the context of the Xv6 Study Group. As we have discussed, I'm now formally turning management of the FreeVPS.org project over to you. You can share as much of the management of the project as you want with others of your choice, including @FatGrizzly. Besides the "management" function, I am authorizing you and I have requested @GTHost to allow you to administer, both the GTHost chi1 server and the entire $1,435.70 USD credit balance in the GTHost account.

I expect not to continue posting regularly to this thread. I expect not to continue monitoring the chi1 node. I expect not to continue using my Free VPS, so please reallocate it to someone else from LET. As discussed in posts above, the not yet installed previously allocated free VPSes may need to be reallocated. Of course, I remain available any time I am able to help. Please feel free to ping me on Signal App if needed.

Guys! @TheOnlyDK has been really great to work with! He's been steady, dependable, and reliable throughout the entire time we've been working on the FreeVPS.org project. DK worked his way through network configuration issues which took lots of effort and time, ultimately requiring help from @yoursunny. @FatGrizzly has lots of system administration knowledge and experience, and has been a good friend to me here at LET. I welcome FG again, and I look forward to his no doubt substantial contributions. We've also enjoyed significant help from @DP, @Cloudie, @ravi, @yoursunny, and others. I am confident that FreeVPS.org and the chi1 node plus additional nodes to come are in good hands. I wish everyone much learning and much utility from FreeVPS.org!

Thanks @GTHost!

Page 1
    01 @elwebmaster https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3491478/#Comment_3491478
    02 @yvhk https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3491774/#Comment_3491774
    03 @ujiio https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3492009/#Comment_3492009
    04 @Pilotseye https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3492034/#Comment_3492034
    05 @Zyra https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3492397/#Comment_3492397
    06 @Lutung https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3492568/#Comment_3492568
    07 @ehab https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3492593/#Comment_3492593

Page 2
    08 @nyamenk https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3492903/#Comment_3492903
    09 @k4zz https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3493086/#Comment_3493086

Page 3
    10 @Otus9051 https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3496326/#Comment_3496326
    11 @Konbu https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3496531/#Comment_3496531
    12 @BreakaWD https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3498706/#Comment_3498706

Page 4
    13 @lipeng0820 https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3499439/#Comment_3499439
    14 @Pwner https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3499706/#Comment_3499706

Page 5
    15 @Ganonk https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3500670/#Comment_3500670
    16 @tuc https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3500996/#Comment_3500996
    @aretsan https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3500998/#Comment_3500998 [Gone][Donation][New]
    17 @bandito https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3501271/#Comment_3501271
    18 @dirtminer https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3501304/#Comment_3501304
    19 @Liso https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3501728/#Comment_3501728
    20 @MrNutz99 https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3501783/#Comment_3501783 [New]

Page 6
    21 @007sascha https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3502127/#Comment_3502127
    22 @Konbu https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3503332/#Comment_3503332
    23 @dimqua https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3503744/#Comment_3503744