Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where to report spam in Germany?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where to report spam in Germany?

tsofttsoft Member
edited September 2022 in General

I am receiving spam from Contabo customer. He is spamming like crazy. I contacted Contabo multiple times, including abuse dept, and no luck. They acknowledged it, but still spamming all company's mailboxes.

I reported here eco.de. Maybe some possibilities to contact police online (I am in another country) or something like that exists in Germany?

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator

What exactly did their abuse department say?

• tsofttsoft Member
    edited September 2022

@Arkas said:
    What exactly did their abuse department say?

It says nothing. No reply. I contacted them on Twitter. They always say, to contact abuse dept. So dead end.

In Twitter, once they said, that abuse dept received and took measures, but nothing like that, still spamming from same IPs and gets even new.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

You need to send an email. Forget twitter, that's a social media account, they wont do anything

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

how about blocking their asn or ips ?

• @Arkas said:
    You need to send an email. Forget twitter, that's a social media account, they wont do anything

Yes, I contacted here many times, [email protected] [email protected]
    and no reply and no measures.

Contacted from multiple accounts, no luck

• @hostdare said:
    how about blocking their asn or ips ?

I would like to solve this by blocking spammers. Or reporting Contabo somewhere if they permit spam. If any idea, pls suggest where.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

then begin with SpamHaus, then choose a few of the following:
    cbl.abuseat.org - Composite Blocking
    b.barracudacentral.org - Barracuda Reputation Block
    dnsbl.spfbl.net - DNSBL SPFBL
    red.uribl.com - URIBL red
    grey.uribl.com - URIBL grey
    black.uribl.com - URIBL black
    multi.uribl.com - URIBL multi
    dnsbl.dronebl.org - DroneBL
    rbl.abuse.ro - abuse.ro RBL
    spam.dnsbl.anonmails.de - DNSBL
    cblplus.anti-spam.org.cn - China Anti-Spam Alliance
    dnsbl.anticaptcha.net - dnsbl.anticaptcha.net
    mail-abuse.blacklist.jippg.org - JIPPG`s Relay Blackhole
    rbl.blockedservers.com - BlockedServers
    bl.blocklist.de - www.blocklist.de
    list.blogspambl.com - Blog Spam Blacklist
    dnsbl.calivent.com.pe - dnsbl.calivent.com.pe
    dnsbl.cobion.com - IBM DNS Blacklist
    bogons.cymru.com - Bogon
    torexit.dan.me.uk - dan.me.uk (only tor exit nodes)
    rbl.dns-servicios.com - rbl.dns-servicios.com
    dnsrbl.org - DNSRBL - The Real-time Blackhole List
    bl.drmx.org - DrMX
    rbl.efnetrbl.org EFnet - TOR
    spamsources.fabel.dk
    dnsbl.zapbl.net - ZapBL DNSRBL
    bsb.empty.us - Blog Spam Blocklist (empty.us)
    bsb.spamlookup.net - Blog Spam Blocklist (spamlookup.net)
    fresh.spameatingmonkey.net - Spam Eating Monkey SEM-FRESH
    multi.surbl.org - SURBL multi (Combined SURBL list)
    uri.blacklist.woody.ch - Woodys SMTP Blacklist URIBL
    dynip.rothen.com - Dynip Rothen List
    ban.zebl.zoneedit.com - ZoneEdit deny DNS services domains
    dob.sibl.support-intelligence.net - The Day Old Bread List (aka DOB)
    rhsbl.rymsho.ru - Rymshos RHSBL
    uribl.abuse.ro - abuse.ro URI RBL

• tsofttsoft Member
    edited September 2022

Spamhaus and others do not accept reports, only if they receive it on their spamtraps.
    Also, it will not stop spam operations (Spamhaus can interrupt, yes, but not possible to submit to them. Other lists are neglectable).
    I need some org in Germany to report it

• The authorities don't have resources to handle every single spammer.

Eco.de are only going to do something if they get many complaints against Contabo.

Report them to blacklists and block the senders IP addresses.

• Just do a @jar and send the headers of every single spam mail to the parent company then block the ASN.

Thanked by 1jar
  • tsofttsoft Member
    edited September 2022

so in summary nothing is possible to do?

Weird, all these gdpr, laws in Germany and at the end - permitted spam operation in the center of europe and nothing possible to do, only if living inside can call the police. Hoster knows and probably approves.

They host a known spammer, top 50 in spamhaus.

I managed to block it in the US and even list its IPs on spamhaus, but cannot do the same trick in Germany.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2022

@tsoft said:
    so in summary nothing is possible to do?

Weird, all these gdpr, laws in Germany and at the end - permitted spam operation in the center of europe and nothing possible to do, only if living inside can call the police. Hoster knows and probably approves.

They host a known spammer, top 50 in spamhaus.

I managed to block it in the US and even list its IPs on spamhaus, but cannot do the same trick in Germany.

The fact that nothing is done, doesn't mean it's permitted although it might suggest that. I am sure, if you seek legal advice some options would be lined out to you.
    Whether or not it is (financially and time-wise) worth pursuing those options is another thing. On Reddit, recently some tourist said their phone was stolen in Madrid city center and Starbucks wouldn't show them CCTV without the police asking them to, and the police, on the other hand, did not find any motivation to pursue it further, either. That doesn't make the theft legal, however, it shows that authorities (and companies) are only willing to go so far for "smaller" issues.

Anyway, if you were to present Contabo with a court order, or your lawyer gets in touch with them, I am sure your problem will be addressed. Until then, good luck though.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

@tsoft said: so in summary nothing is possible to do?

Yes generally, I have tried to block Indian spammers from a DC before but most of them do not care as long as the money keeps coming.

• tsofttsoft Member
    edited September 2022

Yep, agree. Only stuff like court order will work.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2022

If someone ignores an abuse report you can always send it to their upstream(s) if you're really keen to get it stopped.

Or just blackhole all traffic from them. Up to you. One might work, the other will work.

Thanked by 1tsoft
  • @jackb said:
    If someone ignores an abuse report you can always send it to their upstream(s)

Can try this one. Who is their upstream?

edited September 2022

@tsoft said:

@jackb said:
    If someone ignores an abuse report you can always send it to their upstream(s)

Can try this one. Who is their upstream?

You'll be able to find out from bgp.

https://bgp.he.net/ is useful for checking that sort of thing, as is https://bgpview.io/

Though you might be better just blocking them and being done with it.

• https://bgp.he.net/AS51167 this one right?

So contact all these Level 3, Telia ?

Can try, have time and enthusiasm, to see if possible this way

@tsoft said:
    https://bgp.he.net/AS51167 this one right?

So contact all these Level 3, Telia ?

Can try, have time and enthusiasm, to see if possible this way

Sure, just don't set your hopes too high. Probably they'll forward your report at most; but maybe it'll be taken more seriously if you're lucky.

• chihcherngchihcherng Veteran
    edited September 2022

Did you include the spam mail header and other needed information in your report? Could you please show a sample of your report?

• @jackb said:
    If someone ignores an abuse report you can always send it to their upstream(s) if you're really keen to get it stopped.

Or just blackhole all traffic from them. Up to you. One might work, the other will work.

I never understood why some suggest forwarding spam to us, you are not my customer and small, the only thing you will achieve is to get blacklisted. Or do other tier-1 handle that different?

• tsofttsoft Member
    edited September 2022

@chihcherng said:
    Did you include the spam mail header and other needed information in your report? Could you please show a sample of your report?

Yes, report looks like that

Hello,
    I reported this IP multiple times and it is still spamming.

Again the same spammer on the same IP: [IP here]

Previously it was on Hostwinds in the US and we managed to list their IPs in spamhaus. Then they suspended this spammer within 10 minutes. Now it migrated to you. We previously blocked it in Leaseweb, OVH, Hostgator and etc.

You host this criminal
    https://www.spamhaus.org/rokso/evidence/ROK***/****

I post the headers below and attach eml for more information.

Then I add headers and attach .eml. I think this is enough to identify and block.
    Maybe need to attach reports to IP in blacklists. But I can't catch this spammer into spamhaus in the EU, only in the US have some possibilities. Other lists are negletable, have very low impact on hosters. Spamhaus yes, they hate it.

@user54321 said:
    I never understood why some suggest forwarding spam to us, you are not my customer and small, the only thing you will achieve is to get blacklisted. Or do other tier-1 handle that different?

With spam I'd anticipate nothing would come of it, or at most the upstream would forward it to their customer which might encourage them to take action.

This is why I said the sure fire way to resolve OP's issue is just to block the problematic network.

• @jackb said:

@user54321 said:

With spam I'd anticipate nothing would come of it, or at most the upstream would forward it to their customer which might encourage them to take action.

no we don't do that, this is not GDPR compliant

• If you detect the recurring and massive spam from the same IP address(es), You can block them easily directly with your "firewall solution".

You can also report it to the abuseipdb.com (it's a public, generic abuse blacklist). Should post some log sample / email header sample (evidence) in your report.

• @titus said:
    You can also report it to the abuseipdb.com (it's a public, generic abuse blacklist). Should post some log sample / email header sample (evidence) in your report.

This db is good, but it has no impact on hosters or any mail server

• Just block the ips, no nuclear science, reporting them to the Authorities isn't gonna do anything, authorities don't care about some random spam emails, think logically

• @bandito said:
    Just block the ips, no nuclear science, reporting them to the Authorities isn't gonna do anything, authorities don't care about some random spam emails, think logically

I'm fighting this particular spammer from spamhaus top 50. So have time and enthusiasm for this nuclear science.

• The issue with spammers is...you're never going to win. So lets say contabo blocks his account and suspends his service. Then what? You think you won? He'll just move to a different provider and it starts all over again.

• @serv_ee said:
    The issue with spammers is...you're never going to win. So lets say contabo blocks his account and suspends his service. Then what? You think you won? He'll just move to a different provider and it starts all over again.

Are there always such people? ^