Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostVDS outage again
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostVDS outage again

dg415dg415 Member
edited September 2022 in Outages

Anyone else having problems with HostVDS? The other day I noticed my server no longer responds to SSH connections so I logged into the hosting control panel to see what's going on. My server shows up as online in the instance list, so I tried opening the emergency console only to get the error message "Server disconnected (code: 1015)". I tried soft rebooting and hard rebooting from the hosting control panel, the server appears to reboot, but it still doesn't respond to SSH connection attempts and the emergency console gives the same error.

When I click on "Volumes" i get a red tab on the top right corner saying an Error 404 occurred.

I tried emailing their support and also messaging them using the live chat widget on their site but still no response 2 days later.

Anyone else having similar issues or know what's going on?

I'm a little upset about this as it's a prepaid account with a significant amount of money on it, and i'm apparently still being billed even though the server is totally inaccessible.

Comments

• There was a time when their 8GB RAM plan was 3.99$. But the network and disk I/O was so shit
    it wasn't even worth it. Seems like they were hosting it on wooden racks on SSD as RAM and SATA
    drives as disks.

Thanked by 1dg415
  • @luckypenguin said:
    There was a time when their 8GB RAM plan was 3.99$. But the network and disk I/O was so shit
    it wasn't even worth it. Seems like they were hosting it on wooden racks on SSD as RAM and SATA
    drives as disks.

It seems their support widget has also gone offline overnight

• Does anyone know if there's at least a way to get my money off my account? They're still billing me daily for the server even though it's been offline for days and support isn't responding to my emails or live chat attempts

• dg415dg415 Member
    edited September 2022

Welp, day 4 of no access to my server. Support still ignoring my messages even though I keep messaging them and emailing them.

What the hell is going on?

Also for reference here is what I see when I click on "Volumes" in the control panel. The same error shows on several other tabs as well.

It seems they've just completely broken their entire system and decided to drop the ball, collect what's left of the money on our prepaid balances and then call it a day?

And also here is proof they are still billing me for the server while ignoring my support tickets and messages, even though my server has been offline the entire time. I am being billed for services not rendered.

Interestingly, the charges keep going up even though my server is offline. For some reason I am paying more and more every day for a server that is non-operational?

• Great. I tried rebooting my instance again, resulted in an error, now when I go to the emergency console it displays an error and says my instance doesn't exist. Did HostVDS literally just delete my instance?

• I had the same problem with them 1 year ago, you will be charged even if you don't use it until the money runs out and they will lock your account. accept the loss of money and find another supplier. if the amount is too large please open 1 dispute ticket if you overpay paypal.

Thanked by 1dg415
  • @vivucloud said:
    I had the same problem with them 1 year ago, you will be charged even if you don't use it until the money runs out and they will lock your account. accept the loss of money and find another supplier. if the amount is too large please open 1 dispute ticket if you overpay paypal.

Was your issue was never resolved? The server just remained non-operational indefinitely until the money ran out?

This is the first time I've had my server stay offline for so long without any response from their support team. The other times it went down, they responded within 24 hours to bring it back online.

It seems like some kind of major malfunction occurred with their system, I hadn't experienced anything like this in the past and I've had this account for about a year with them.

• Your instance has been migrated (and that's a good thing!)

• @inland said:
    Your instance has been migrated (and that's a good thing!)

lol what

• vivucloudvivucloud Member
    edited September 2022

@dg415 said: Was your issue was never resolved? The server just remained non-operational indefinitely until the money ran out?

i deleted the vps i used, in their control panel it says deleted but when i login to their API page the data is still there. i sent a ticket asking to look into this they said they will check and return the money to my account, but they only refunded 0.2$ while their mistake cost me more than 1$. But the error is not over yet it persists and deducts my money daily. Until my account was locked because there wasn't enough money left for them to deduct =))), I worked with many different vendors, but their weakness surprised me.

• vivucloudvivucloud Member
    edited September 2022

here is a photo i asked for a refund but their error is still there it still charged me the next day.

This is the last day of deduction because I have been deducted all the money so they have locked my account.
    They deduct money with "Product Name: Unnamed" damn I have never named my project like that. and they deduct my money for resources on their own fault =))

• @vivucloud said:

here is a photo i asked for a refund but their error is still there it still charged me the next day.

This is the last day of deduction because I have been deducted all the money so they have locked my account.
    They deduct money with "Product Name: Unnamed" damn I have never named my project like that. and they deduct my money for resources on their own fault =))

jesus christ.

well, it's been officially 5 days that I've repeatedly tried contacting their support. It seems their support is getting my messages and just ignoring me at this point. I am guessing they just randomly deleted my server and don't want to deal with me now.

I've heard horror stories about bad hosting providers before but never saw anything even remotely this terrible

• relax yourself and find other suppliers =)))

• dg415dg415 Member
    edited September 2022

@vivucloud said:
    relax yourself and find other suppliers =)))

im just upset because i had work on that server that i can't access now. of course I should have taken backups, which I'll make sure I set up from now on.

It wasn't a production site and I was just using it for development, but it's still very annoying that I put enough money on my prepaid balance to last me years, that I know is going to be wasted paying for a server that I can't even access anymore. It's years worth of hosting wasted

Judging by the volumes tab I am guessing what happened is that they somehow deleted the volume containing the server's hard disk, and just don't want to deal with me now because they don't want to admit they randomly nuked a customer's data with no warning or explanation

• @dg415 said: It wasn't a production site and I was just using it for development, but it's still very annoying that I put enough money on my prepaid balance to last me years, that I know is going to be wasted paying for a server that I can't even access anymore. It's years worth of hosting wasted

>

What payment method do you pay for them?

• @vivucloud said:

@dg415 said: It wasn't a production site and I was just using it for development, but it's still very annoying that I put enough money on my prepaid balance to last me years, that I know is going to be wasted paying for a server that I can't even access anymore. It's years worth of hosting wasted

>

I used stripe

• @dg415 said:

@vivucloud said:

@dg415 said: It wasn't a production site and I was just using it for development, but it's still very annoying that I put enough money on my prepaid balance to last me years, that I know is going to be wasted paying for a server that I can't even access anymore. It's years worth of hosting wasted

>

I used stripe

if the amount is too large this can help you to get your deposit back (this is a rather complicated process but if you find it necessary do it): https://stripe.com/docs/disputes /how-disputes-work

Thanked by 1dg415
  • @vivucloud said:

@dg415 said:

@vivucloud said:

>

I used stripe

if the amount is too large this can help you to get your deposit back (this is a rather complicated process but if you find it necessary do it): https://stripe.com/docs/disputes /how-disputes-work

Thanks, if I don't hear back from them in another day or two I will try to open a dispute with stripe and hopefully get my money back.

• That provider is known for notorious downtime cpu overselling and servers working like snails - not just networking issues.
    As for networking issues when they are happening even their main page is getting timeouts :#
    Still they are having some positive aspects like really cheap prices and rus location, sort of cool interface

Thanked by 1dg415
  • dg415dg415 Member
    edited September 2022

@borowsky said:
    That provider is known for notorious downtime cpu overselling and servers working like snails - not just networking issues.
    As for networking issues when they are happening even their main page is getting timeouts :#
    Still they are having some positive aspects like really cheap prices and rus location, sort of cool interface

indeed i was attracted by the low prices, but now i'm paying for a server that seems to have been permanently disabled, unless their support team is just on vacation or something

i've tried messaging them via email, on their website, and i even sent messages to them on here at lowendtalk but they haven't responded all week.

• When it looks to good to be true, it is.
    P.S., it's a Russian provider. They are not in best shape now.

• @luckypenguin said:
    When it looks to good to be true, it is.
    P.S., it's a Russian provider. They are not in best shape now.

yeah this war sucks for everyone right now but i don't understand why that would cause my server to just go poof like that out of nowhere. did they get raided by the fsb or something?

• luckypenguinluckypenguin Member
    edited September 2022

@dg415 said: yeah this war sucks for everyone right now but i don't understand why that would cause my server to just go poof like that out of nowhere. did they get raided by the fsb or something?

Dude, even before the war, was an 8GB ram plan for 3.99$ with 80GB SSD looking anywhere
    nearly sustainable to you? I mean, sorry if you don't know the operating costs, you shouldn't be expected to, but this offer made all of us raise an eye brow before. There was a huge topic before, don't want to
    necro it but just know that if something is too good to be true, it is. And now we add, the other factors obviously.

• I mean hardware is a one-time investment and lasts years so theoretically with a high enough sales volume (which one would assume such low pricing would generate) it could be sustainable. I agree though, it is definitely cheap for a reason. I noticed the performance issues myself. Just wasn't expecting basically outright deletion of my instance

• luckypenguinluckypenguin Member
    edited September 2022

@dg415 said: I mean hardware is a one-time investment and lasts years

Not when you lease it, and expect to make sales from a hosting business. Just like a new
    restaurant never (usually) buys the whole place, they rent it, and pay rent by selling food. Maybe
    a stupid example but it pretty much common in the cheap VPS business area.

Thanked by 1dg415
  • I gave up on them entirely. I used them for one-off stuff and a simple VPS to host example applications for a class I was teaching. For days and even weeks, it'd be inaccessible or broken to the effect support would be like "Oh, it's in the works...it'll be fixed" and zero follow-ups nor SLA credits (I mean even like to comp some time, I'm not expecting much).

I'd honestly just throw the towel in, they've been so unreliable that it is not worth it anymore even at that price.

Hopefully, you have backups or eventually can log in to retrieve data.

Thanked by 1dg415
  • We need to make a poll for a "shit provider" tag. Will be given for free, if an X amount
    of users will vote that the service is below any expectation. Will be opposite of Patron Provider.

• @daxterfellowes said:
    I gave up on them entirely. I used them for one-off stuff and a simple VPS to host example applications for a class I was teaching. For days and even weeks, it'd be inaccessible or broken to the effect support would be like "Oh, it's in the works...it'll be fixed" and zero follow-ups nor SLA credits (I mean even like to comp some time, I'm not expecting much).

I'd honestly just throw the towel in, they've been so unreliable that it is not worth it anymore even at that price.

yeah that's kind of how I was using mine. I had some code on there that I pushed to my sourcehut so that's safe at least. i didn't backup everything since it wasn't that critical and i didn't want to spend too much energy on it but i guess i'll tread more carefully now with these cheap vps providers.

• @luckypenguin said:
    We need to make a poll for a "shit provider" tag. Will be given for free, if an X amount
    of users will vote that the service is below any expectation. Will be opposite of Patron Provider.

Patron Provider means nothing more to me expect that provider was willing to pay fee for lowendtalk admin.
    That isnt equal with any good expectations about provided service to end users.

@dg415 said:

@borowsky said:
    That provider is known for notorious downtime cpu overselling and servers working like snails - not just networking issues.

indeed i was attracted by the low prices, but now i'm paying for a server that seems to have been permanently disabled, unless their support team is just on vacation or something

Especially ram amount and ability to get cheap storage volumes attached (unusual for rus location)
    I think recently they got rid out of cheapest tier vps anyway, since its prices begins from 2$ per month at the moment (it was $0.79/m for same spec)

• @dg415 said:

@daxterfellowes said:
    I gave up on them entirely. I used them for one-off stuff and a simple VPS to host example applications for a class I was teaching. For days and even weeks, it'd be inaccessible or broken to the effect support would be like "Oh, it's in the works...it'll be fixed" and zero follow-ups nor SLA credits (I mean even like to comp some time, I'm not expecting much).

yeah that's kind of how I was using mine. I had some code on there that I pushed to my sourcehut so that's safe at least. i didn't backup everything since it wasn't that critical and i didn't want to spend too much energy on it but i guess i'll tread more carefully now with these cheap vps providers.

It wasn't always this bad, it was hit or miss and improved then goes through a big lull of issues and then back up. But now it feels like it really hit rock bottom.