Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostVDS outage again - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostVDS outage again

2»

Comments

• @daxterfellowes said:

@dg415 said:

@daxterfellowes said:
    I gave up on them entirely. I used them for one-off stuff and a simple VPS to host example applications for a class I was teaching. For days and even weeks, it'd be inaccessible or broken to the effect support would be like "Oh, it's in the works...it'll be fixed" and zero follow-ups nor SLA credits (I mean even like to comp some time, I'm not expecting much).

I'd honestly just throw the towel in, they've been so unreliable that it is not worth it anymore even at that price.

Hopefully, you have backups or eventually can log in to retrieve data.

yeah that's kind of how I was using mine. I had some code on there that I pushed to my sourcehut so that's safe at least. i didn't backup everything since it wasn't that critical and i didn't want to spend too much energy on it but i guess i'll tread more carefully now with these cheap vps providers.

It wasn't always this bad, it was hit or miss and improved then goes through a big lull of issues and then back up. But now it feels like it really hit rock bottom.

Yeah, I was able to tolerate the intermittent problems in the past. they were annoying but not a dealbreaker for me since I wasn't using the server for production. Permanent disablement of my server with no explanation is definitely a notch above the usual issues.

• My server is back online! I guess miracles do happen.

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

@dg415 all data it s safe?

• @Calin said:
    @dg415 all data it s safe?

looks like it, yeah. the emergency console still doesn't work which is a bit concerning, but I can at least SSH into the box again

• hostvds is still down? i open server i contract support but they dont answer i cant open server

• Backup your server, get everything, they will deadpool soon.
    Don't say you weren't warned later. Things have changed since Feb 24.

• @sonymegas said:
    hostvds is still down? i open server i contract support but they dont answer i cant open server

its working for me now. my server was down for about 8 days

• miumiu Member

I had VPS at them ~2 years ago, network was OK (i got luckily 10Gbit), perf too ok - not oversold, but uptime disaster - many outages.. Something similar like Virmache now. So i gave it up

• He had a good thing coming, but probably a dead project by now..

• @dg415 said:

@inland said:
    Your instance has been migrated (and that's a good thing!)

lol what

In other words, virmached

• dg415dg415 Member

So just an update, I haven't touched this VPS in a while but I went to check on it again today and it looks like they just deleted it for no reason. I see the last billing charge on my account was on 2022/11/17 so I guess after that date they wiped out my instance for no reason.

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

I bought one in Dallas and Moscow just to try it out. Not much to lose with the cost of a instance. However, at least for the 1 core package it's pretty much useless. I have barely installed anything on the servers but they are just clipping to 100% cpu usage. Can barely perform a SSH command without causing some issues.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yeah, the CPU is oversold, but I have been able to ssh/update and other normal tasks without issues. As soon as I run something like Java, though...

• dg415dg415 Member

Well, luckypenguin did warn me this would happen, so it's not like I didn't see it coming. Still, very disappointing. I see they've been advertising heavily on this platform lately, apparently because they did some system upgrade. Well, that system upgrade apparently also resulted in previous customers having their instances wiped without warning.

Just wish there was a way to get the unspent money credit on my account back so that I could invest it in a different, preferably more professional provider that doesn't ignore support tickets for months on end, wipes out customers instances without warning and has constant outages due to overselling their system resources

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Well, I knew what I was getting into, but I only needed traffic in Russia and that works well enough atm. Unfortunately, my friend needs IPv6 and they didn't deploy it "yet" so I am waiting for that and in the meantime saving the 9 Eur i still have there.