Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BunnyDNS is in preview. It is interesting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BunnyDNS is in preview. It is interesting

Bunny.net has just posted a new article about their BunnyDNS. https://bunny.net/blog/transforming-internet-routing-introducing-bunny-dns/
I think it is very interesting.

• Has proxy features like Cloudflare
  • Can do geo routing, load balancing.
  • Can implement your own code to handle DNS request

I have just applied for beta testing. Will give more feedbacks if I can use it.

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

Transforming internet routing with DNS, really?

• umzakumzak Member

Nice info

• its uses something similar to cloudflare workers??

• quanhua92quanhua92 Member
    edited March 2022

@JasonM said:
    its uses something similar to cloudflare workers??

I don't think so. IMO, you can do some basic javascript function like check for headers and return the dns record. But basically it will run on their edge servers.
    @Lee I think they mean the scriptable dns requests
    Actually, I am interested in their load balancing and geo routing. For geo routing, I doubt that it can beat Google DNS.
    However, it is good to have a competition in proxy at edges.

Thanked by 2Lee pluto
  • More players come into the full-page proxy, that's good to hear. Siteground's CDN is in beta too, they seem to like doing everything inhouse.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • Have you done some first tests? Is it better than ns1?

• @webcraft said:
    Have you done some first tests? Is it better than ns1?

I have just registered for beta testing. Will update here with the result.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • i am using BunnyCDN, it's quite good and cheap

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • They offer basic features for free and scriptable features for a not expensive price. Good stuff, will sign up to see if it’s better than my current providet

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2022

This is good to see! Something I've been wanting from BunnyCDN is their own DNS service for my domains, to avoid the extra DNS lookup when using a CNAME for the CDN. Sounds like this can do it.

Thanked by 1umzak
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    addEventListener('dns', event => {
      event.respondWith(handleRequest(event.request));
    });

function handleRequest(request) {
      return new TxtRecord('LowEndBox is awesome!', 30);
    }

Just a glance, this seems amazing.  I have no idea what I would use it for, but it seems amazing.

BTW pricing is targeted at 10 - 40 cents per million queries.

Thanked by 3Unixfy TimRoo pluto
  • LeeLee Veteran

@quanhua92 said: @Lee I think they mean the scriptable dns requests

Fair, didn't click through until now, does look good.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

I will most likely be moving from Cloudflare DNS to Bunny DNS

Thanked by 3FrankZ umzak desperand
  • Quite interesting, wonder how they will deal with abuse (mostly DMCA) with their proxy.

• @jahrinc said:
    Quite interesting, wonder how they will deal with abuse (mostly DMCA) with their proxy.

The same way they deal with abuse with their CDN, because it's literally the same thing.

• @JeDaYoshi said: The same way they deal with abuse with their CDN, because it's literally the same thing.

I heard that because they are not a big enough company they cannot verify DMCA's, thus, they just lock your account until you delete the infringing content (heard this in another forum).

So basically what hetzner does, even if its fake? idk.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • umzakumzak Member

I have signed up and am waiting. if this plan goes well i want to move my domain from cloudflare to bunny, so that it integrates perfectly with my cdn

• @jahrinc said: I heard that because they are not a big enough company they cannot verify DMCA's, thus, they just lock your account until you delete the infringing content (heard this in another forum).

Abuse requests just cause the respective pull zone to get suspended, not your whole account

• @Unixfy said: Abuse requests just cause the respective pull zone to get suspended, not your whole account

Ya that's what I meant. My bad I worded that wrong.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2022

I wonder if they'd support usage as a secondary server (although I do recognise that that'll prevent usage of their fancier features). Cloudflare charge a lot of money if you want to use them as secondary DNS; I think even their base paid plan doesn't support it.

• xTomxTom Member, Patron Provider

When will Bunny support IPv6?

Thanked by 2FrankZ WebProject
  • If you want to test geo routing, these are apparently two of their name servers:

• coco.bunny.net
    • kiki.bunny.net
    Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • riakeriake Member

Soon it's July and no updates. They said they're planned public preview in April but I'm still waiting for access to the beta :)

• Looks like they just started rolling it out, I got my welcome mail a while ago.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@jmgcaguicla said: Looks like they just started rolling it out, I got my welcome mail a while ago.

Do you need to add funds to check out the Geo DNS Beta preview?

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited July 2022

@FrankZ said:
    Do you need to add funds to check out the Geo DNS Beta preview?

Dunno, I still have credits from the Easter promotions and it just let me create a zone; doesn't look like it does though.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • umzakumzak Member

I got the email too.

• edited July 2022

just signed up.. hopefully it's rolling out fast.. need other DNS providers outside CF network

• LeviLevi Member

As soon as bunny will do any real competition to cf, cf will simply buy them.

• Anyone know how to setup BunnyDNS + BunnyCDN to cache everything?