Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Reseller apocalypse is coming. Are you affected? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Reseller apocalypse is coming. Are you affected?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@TimboJones said: Modems are just bridges and don't care about IP.

If you are lucky, your provider allows bridge mode. In many cases, though, they would not allow it and insist to have the router activated. When I was in Bucharest on an old connection from Telekom I had to replace their router with a media converter and fake the mac to be able to tunnel my IPv6.

• miumiu Member
    edited June 2022

Maybe stupid and desperate question but: Can somebody confirm that this is valid generally for all OVH additional IPv4s and affecting too SYS and OVH VPSes line, not only OVH dedicated servers? Thanks

Seems that now mr. Klaba realized than can pretty monetize his IP mega-farm and biggest OVH advantage imo, will be soon gone (i do not understand how his costs of Ips are raised when his company own all these milions of Ips and does not rent them)

I also fed tens of OVH vpses with addit ips, so now i can cancel them because i will not pay for vps 3.50 and another 24/m for addit ips. Another my bad past decision to put money into OVH.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@miu said:
    Maybe stupid and desperate question but: Can somebody confirm that this is valid generally for all OVH additional IPv4s and affecting too SYS and OVH VPSes line, not only OVH dedicated servers? Thanks

Seems that now mr. Klaba realized than can pretty monetize his IP mega-farm and biggest OVH advantage imo, will be soon gone (i do not understand how his costs of Ips are raised when his company own all these milions of Ips and does not rent them)

It will affect additional/failover IPs regardless of the service.

Thanked by 1miu
  • miumiu Member
    edited June 2022

vps re-sellers are completely fucked (oh, so easy for them now to ask their customers for an additional 1.5 / m for services with the former price of $ 1-3 per month ... a nice insidious dagger to the back from OVH for them

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@miu said:
    vps re-sellers are completely fucked (oh, so easy for them now to ask their customers for an additional 1.5 / m for services with the former price of $ 1-3 per month ... a nice insidious dagger to the back from OVH for them

Only if you sell VPS on OVH with no profit margin. Anyone who uses OVH for business purpose like this should know prices at OVH will steadily increase. Just look at the Game line servers. Remember when they used to be like $79/m? Now they're like $135-$180/m. IP cost isn't a concern, the increasing of pricing for servers with no real flexibility at OVH is the real concern.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

Hmm maybe this will result in more NAT VPS. There's rarely a need for a dedicated IP anyway

Thanked by 2digitalwicked xms
  • PixelsPixels Member

@ezeth said:
    Hmm maybe this will result in more NAT VPS. There's rarely a need for a dedicated IP anyway

NAT and borked IPv6, the real deal.

• @Pixels said:

@ezeth said:

More like NAT and no IPv6, since boomer is too lazy to learn it.

Thanked by 1xms
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Pixels said:

@ezeth said:

At least you have one stack still running, redundancy.

Thanked by 1xms
  • PixelsPixels Member

@stevewatson301 said:

@Pixels said:

@ezeth said:

He used to have functioning IPv6 at start, although only a /128 was assigned per server. Later "IPv6 broke network config", disabled it and never cared about it anymore.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

@Pixels said:

@stevewatson301 said:

@Pixels said:

@ezeth said:

He used to have functioning IPv6 at start, although only a /128 was assigned per server. Later "IPv6 broke network config", disabled it and never cared about it anymore.

Yes. DC did IPv6 renumbering and I had no way to change them automatically in virtualizor

I have my own /36 block since a few months ago. It won’t really happen again. Voxility and KVM (probably NAT because I run out of IPv4 as soon as I get a block.. and I can’t get the a /17 that would be enough for 24 months at current growth) will come soon. Things are moving along and we finally got our own ASN.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I'm disappointed, totally switched to sys for the perpetual ip prices to save money but just my luck

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Maybe if they charge for IPs, OVH can actually make a profit...?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @raindog308 said:

wait how didn't they bankrupt yet?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@szymonp said:

@raindog308 said:

As long you have people giving money to you, you ain't bankrupt despite running on loss.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

@raindog308 said:

But the numbers are billions or millions? Like Total Revenue 655,226 million?
    I dont understand shit

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2022

@szymonp said:

@raindog308 said:

OVH make heavy use of French government funding, amongst other things. They've been focused on growth for a long time, but to me it seems like now is when they're pivoting for a profit.

Makes sense given the recent IPO.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@raindog308 said:

It's not that they don't right? It's perhaps that it's too low of a price? Which brings me to another question, finding a provider where one can outright buy an ip would be nice - might even be a good business plan since to keep your bought ip, you keep the service.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@risharde said:

@raindog308 said:

It's not that they don't right? It's perhaps that it's too low of a price? Which brings me to another question, finding a provider where one can outright buy an ip would be nice - might even be a good business plan since to keep your bought ip, you keep the service.

DataPacket does it - I believe it's $50-$60 to outright buy an IP from them

Thanked by 1risharde
  • @szymonp said:

@raindog308 said:

Amazon would blow your mind.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

... my local ISP is still buying V4 only equipment. And they are one of the most popular in the country (22% market share)

I'm sure they have an expected write off period of 10 years or more.

Don't expect v6 only to reach all but select demographics any time soon.

@raindog308 said: Maybe if they charge for IPs, OVH can actually make a profit...?

My thoughts exactly, this will do it. It might also reduce their low value customer count at a time when power is higher than predicted.

• fkjfkj Member

@raindog308 said:

I don't think monetizing your advantage on the existing userbase is the go-to mean of increasing your profit, especially when there's Hetzner around.

• szarkaszarka Member

@TimboJones said:

@szymonp said:

@raindog308 said:

They got over it*.

• Except for a couple of recent bad quarters, after this graph ends.
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2022

@SplitIce said: ... my local ISP is still buying V4 only equipment. And they are one of the most popular in the country (22% market share)

Not surprising for Australia though :P

I'm sure they have an expected write off period of 10 years or more.

Don't expect v6 only to reach all but select demographics any time soon.

@raindog308 said: Maybe if they charge for IPs, OVH can actually make a profit...?

My thoughts exactly, this will do it. It might also reduce their low value customer count at a time when power is higher than predicted.

Makes sense. $1.60/month per IP, with 4M IP's on their ASN, would put them positive for the year, or very close to it.

Anyone here doing their own BGP has seen IPV6 outages that last hours/days and their upstream not really care. If it was V4 though it would be all hands on deck, the worlds coming to an end.

Again, we're a big supporter of IPV6 services and short of SLAAC assignments, we're pretty close to feature complete. That said, V4's here for the rest of our lives.

Francisco

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • szarkaszarka Member

Coincidentally, came across this announcement from Hetzner whilst perusing some old email…

IPv6 ONLY OPTION FOR DEDICATED ROOT SERVERS
    ­ ­ ­
    ­We want to help equip you for the future. Therefore, to make things more flexible for you, our dedicated root servers now support IPv6 only.

You now have the option to order a server with just an IPv6 /64 subnet. Our dedicated root servers will still include an IPv4 Addon by default, but you can now easily remove it during the ordering process.
    ­
    We will continue to improve this new solution and are already working on an IPv6 only solution for cloud servers, too.

Thanked by 2Arkas xms
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@TimboJones said:

@szymonp said:

@raindog308 said:

Amazon makes money and AWS is their most profitable business unit.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@default said: If price of IPv4 keeps going up, solution is obviously IPv6. Google already reports how many requests come from IPv6. If IPv4 keeps getting rare and expensive due to humanity's greed, it makes sense to embrace IPv6 and the evolution of technology.

If only IPv6 didn't suck so much...

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@raindog308 said:

@default said: If price of IPv4 keeps going up, solution is obviously IPv6. Google already reports how many requests come from IPv6. If IPv4 keeps getting rare and expensive due to humanity's greed, it makes sense to embrace IPv6 and the evolution of technology.

The solution was so easy... Reallocate the IPv4 not in use and reserved.

Instead commercial interests took over and invented v6 to push forward a hardware upgrade super cycle.

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

@jbiloh true

• @jbiloh said:

@raindog308 said:

The solution was so easy... Reallocate the IPv4 not in use and reserved.

Instead commercial interests took over and invented v6 to push forward a hardware upgrade super cycle.

Worldwide lawsuit. Even ipv4 is allocated unfairly just like everything in the world, private property is protected by law. This is the "root" of the current society.

Economically speaking, ipv6 network construction also includes internal network construction for railroads, banks and the military, and regardless of which network transformation, it requires huge costs, very huge even for a country.
    The current price of ip only makes us LETer feel bad, which, probably no one cares. For IPv6 to really work, the ipv4 shortage needs to be so high that it hurts most country's economy. And for the transformation, it cost that the country needs to save money in other areas, maybe education, maybe medical, maybe higher tax.