Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ RYZEN ★ NVMe ★★ $8.88/YR- 384MB ★★ $21.85/YR- 2.5GB ★ Instant ★ Japan Pre-order ★ & More - Page 196
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ RYZEN ★ NVMe ★★ $8.88/YR- 384MB ★★ $21.85/YR- 2.5GB ★ Instant ★ Japan Pre-order ★ & More

Comments

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2022

@elliotc said:
    Recently, I start to think, over time ryzen has been "premium" change to "normal" product line. Ryzen are still excellent especially with the virmach price point, and will work for many years, just no rush.

We were originally going to keep it that way but honestly, keeping the E5 line is more problem than it's worth. CC didn't really try to communicate with us to keep it and I do have a few E5 nodes but they're power hogs and power prices are just going to go up.

Ryzen can end up using maybe around 1A while dual E5 with 8 SSDs, RAID controller, and the fans for it can easily use as much as 3A. Over 2 years in Frankfurt this is something like $2,000 and even in Los Angeles it's around $800 to $1,000. Plus new hardware (is supposed to) have less problems. Outside of the nodes we're having trouble with right now that seem to have weird motherboard issues, they'll have a longer life ahead of them.

It's still possible we'll later re-release a "Lite" version of plans that maybe utilizes Intel Silvers or Epyc as prices continue to come down, and with further restrictions like lower CPU burst and no custom ISO. They may just end up being labeled as "memory optimized" though since that's where Ryzen is lacking, capping out at 128GB per node.

So something like... "Memory optimized/Lite"

2GB RAM / 1x 2GHz Epyc (33% Fair Use) / 30GB Disk / $5 per month MSRP / $18 per year potential sale price

Actually I have enough parts to put something together like this and test it out in a primary location if anyone is interested, ETA let's say 3 weeks. And 10G Epyc boards are essentially the same price as the 10G Ryzen right now. Epyc RAM is also cheaper, and so is the CPU for the most part. All came down significantly enough to where it's viable now.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@VirMach said: Actually I have enough parts to put something together like this and test it out in a primary location if anyone is interested, ETA let's say 3 weeks. And 10G Epyc boards are essentially the same price as the 10G Ryzen right now. Epyc RAM is also cheaper, and so is the CPU for the most part. All came down significantly enough to where it's viable now.

I'd be up for testing Epyc. Just let me know when you are ready to go. :sunglasses:

• skorousskorous Member

@VirMach said:

@skorous said:

@VirMach said:
    We're getting a quite high number of these requests, to pay to migrate with data to Ryzen. Should we switch over migrations to Ryzen and allow them for the regular $5 rate for anyone ineligible or who don't want to wait? We'll eventually have to do this anyway for migrations as we phase out older nodes or otherwise we have to close off paid migration service for a while.

No, because BF specials aren't eligible for migration with data for $5. Maybe we'll add that in, or maybe we already added in, I'm just going based off our old official policy for these.

So they're ineligible but not that kind of ineligible. Understood. ;-)

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @VirMach said:
    Actually I have enough parts to put something together like this and test it out in a primary location if anyone is interested, ETA let's say 3 weeks. And 10G Epyc boards are essentially the same price as the 10G Ryzen right now. Epyc RAM is also cheaper, and so is the CPU for the most part. All came down significantly enough to where it's viable now.

I'd be up for trying out the Epycs, were you interested in the gen1 epycs or would these be rome/milan?

edited May 2022

@LiliLabs said:

@VirMach said:

I'd be up for trying out the Epycs, were you interested in the gen1 epycs or would these be rome/milan?

I can get some Rome at a good price but they'd be vendor locks and it's a PITA trying to even buy those motherboards because they like selling them as a whole server. I'm looking around a little bit. Otherwise it looks like it'd have to be Gen1 but I'm still concerned we'd have CPU bottleneck then. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can even find the SKU for the Lenovo boards.

Milan would be too expensive. Basically if we did Milan for the same thing I guesstimated above it'd be more like $7 MSRP / $25 sale which wouldn't be so great. Closer to Ryzen at that point.

Keep in mind all of this is really really rough and bad estimation.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • pddpdd Member

@VirMach said:

It may be possible to take our new code from the new Ryzen migrate button and morph them together, and allow free without data with available, and if not available, do it for $3, and do with data for $5. Might also end up being a lot less confusing.

So if I understand you correctly, BF specials is eligible for migration, just not for now, maybe sometime in the future. Is this for sure? As you know there are a lot of really crazy BF specials(like 2core 2G ram for about $10) out there, will you lower the configuration? Or will they stay the same?
    After all, it would be really incredible if these crazy BF specials could migrate to ryzen with the same configuration!

• ofitofit Member

guys anyone know where to find looking glass for Ryzen VPS?

• elliotcelliotc Member

@pdd said:

@VirMach said:

It may be possible to take our new code from the new Ryzen migrate button and morph them together, and allow free without data with available, and if not available, do it for $3, and do with data for $5. Might also end up being a lot less confusing.

So if I understand you correctly, BF specials is eligible for migration, just not for now, maybe sometime in the future. Is this for sure? As you know there are a lot of really crazy BF specials(like 2core 2G ram for about $10) out there, will you lower the configuration? Or will they stay the same?
    After all, it would be really incredible if these crazy BF specials could migrate to ryzen with the same configuration!

According to my understanding, it should be "no plan" at the moment.

• Tokyo storage forever at sea?

• TimCaroTimCaro Member
    edited May 2022

@pdd said:

@VirMach said:

Maybe, you can keep licking your boss and let him give you a machine(like 2core 2G ram for about $10) :)

Mod edit (angstrom): This isn't a considerate remark

Thanked by 2Tokyom yiqingdi
  • pddpdd Member
    edited May 2022

@TimCaro said:

Maybe, you can keep licking your boss and let him give you a machine(like 2core 2G ram for about $10) :)

Ching Chong chang blabla:D

Mod edit (angstrom): Don't make racist remarks

• pddpdd Member

@elliotc said

According to my understanding, it should be "no plan" at the moment.

VirMach was not very specific about this,guess we will see!

• TimCaroTimCaro Member

@pdd said:

@TimCaro said:

@angstrom hello,
    This racist, what would you do? :|

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@TimCaro said:

@pdd said:

@TimCaro said:

@angstrom hello,

See above (both of you)

@treesky2017 said:
    Tokyo storage forever at sea?

No indication that the UPS plane its on has crashed. I'll keep you updated.

• shkongshkong Member

@VirMach I'm one of 109 people in Tokyo who haven't activated the service yet, and I haven't submitted any tickets, so I'm hoping to get the status of creating new server in Tokyo here.

• @VirMach said:
    Otherwise it looks like it'd have to be Gen1 but I'm still concerned we'd have CPU bottleneck then. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can even find the SKU for the Lenovo boards.

Gen1 is rough, you'd be better off going for e5v4 at that point. I know about those Lenovo boards and those servers aren't really worth it, have had poor experience with Lenovo servers.

Thanked by 1FrankZ

@shkong said:
    @VirMach I'm one of 109 people in Tokyo who haven't activated the service yet, and I haven't submitted any tickets, so I'm hoping to get the status of creating new server in Tokyo here.

A lot of refunds were processed so I'd say there's less than 90 of them left, but there's holidays in Japan right now so the package we sent with more servers is not going to be delivered until Friday.

@LiliLabs said:

@VirMach said:
    Otherwise it looks like it'd have to be Gen1 but I'm still concerned we'd have CPU bottleneck then. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can even find the SKU for the Lenovo boards.

Gen1 is rough, you'd be better off going for e5v4 at that point. I know about those Lenovo boards and those servers aren't really worth it, have had poor experience with Lenovo servers.

I've had a poor experience with Supermicro through the years and a poor experience with ASRock right now, and with Gigabyte, so there's no one really left to have a great experience with from my knowledge. That leaves Dell which isn't great for replacement parts.

Do you recommend any particular brand for Epyc?

• qpasnhqpasnh Member

@VirMach said:

@qpasnh said:

@VirMach said:

@qpasnh said: Why does SolusVM panel not work properly?
    Reinstall PriceyVacant-VM
    No media found for this virtual server

To fix SolusVM at this point I need to know your plan name. Here, not in a ticket.

Ryzen Special 768. Node Name: TYOC030
    Bandwidth: 0 B of 2 TB
    Reinstall PriceyVacant-VM (45.66.12x.xx)
    No media found for this virtual server
    Thanks.

Hmm, looks like SolusVM only goes based off what was available at time of creation maybe, even though this was later fixed. I'll have to see how we can force it to overwrite.

Edit -- Added yours for now, we'll have to figure out a way to mass update in DB.

The network seems to be broken drop

• @VirMach said:
    I've had a poor experience with Supermicro through the years and a poor experience with ASRock right now, and with Gigabyte, so there's no one really left to have a great experience with from my knowledge. That leaves Dell which isn't great for replacement parts.

Do you recommend any particular brand for Epyc?

ASrock is quite possibly the worst brand out there. However, as I'm sure you know, they also make the only enterprise Ryzen boards. From what I've seen, the x570 is much more reliable than the x470, but that's getting off topic. Dell is fantastic for replacement parts if you're going through dell, even going used it's not hard to find replacements for most things. Supermicro stuff is generally built a bit worse but is more "generic" so you end up getting to mess around with it more, at the expense of some reliability/random weird stuff happening with the hardware. I avoid HPE like the plague. I'd say you should be OK with Supermicro if you just want the board, or Dell if you want the whole package.

• taizitaizi Member

@kingpin said: Bitcoin transaction was not confirmed within 8 hours

???
    dude, don't set your network fees to zero
    bitcoin will arrive in 30 mins in normal situations
    if you can't afford the network fee, I suggest using Litecoin, it has low fee too.

• taizitaizi Member

@VirMach said: For example, Coinbase will not allow XRP and there's a good number of people that prefer using that due to the fast transaction time and small fee.

coinpayment actually ruined xrp's speed advantage, they have a very very very long delay confirm time...
    for myself, I usually use LTC on coinbase,BUSD on coinpayments..

• kingpinkingpin Member

@taizi said:

???
    if you can't afford the network fee, I suggest using Litecoin, it has low fee too.

Well, as far as I remember I didn't set the fee to zero. My previous transaction with other host completed in slightly over 9 hours with the fee as low as with VirMach.

I'm also new to cryptocurrencies, and don't know nuances like that. But I also don't see a point in time limit. The other host doesn't have it. If you absolutely have to have a limit, set it to one day, and most (if not all) transactions will get confirmation. Though, as I already said, I'm new to crypto.

• kingpinkingpin Member

@taizi said:

@VirMach said: For example, Coinbase will not allow XRP and there's a good number of people that prefer using that due to the fast transaction time and small fee.

coinpayment actually ruined xrp's speed advantage, they have a very very very long delay confirm time...
    for myself, I usually use LTC on coinbase,BUSD on coinpayments..

Thanks for the heads up. I will look into that.

Have a nice day, mate.

Cheers.

• foitinfoitin Member

@TimCaro said:

@pdd said:

@TimCaro said:

@angstrom hello,

Ban you for involucration evasion then, bluecat? :)

• taizitaizi Member

@kingpin said:

@taizi said:

???

Well, as far as I remember I didn't set the fee to zero. My previous transaction with other host completed in slightly over 9 hours with the fee as low as with VirMach.

I'm also new to cryptocurrencies, and don't know nuances like that. But I also don't see a point in time limit. The other host doesn't have it. If you absolutely have to have a limit, set it to one day, and most (if not all) transactions will get confirmation. Though, as I already said, I'm new to crypto.

do you check some transaction fees predict? like

https://btc.com/btc/adapter?type=stats-unconfirmed-tx
    https://blockchair.com/bitcoin
    you can use them for reference, and you can get a nice speed

I also don't see a point in time limit

too long will affect the price like now(BTC dumping), but I agree 24hours is a reasonable length

• TokyomTokyom Member

@pdd said:

@VirMach said:

If you keep kneeling and licking, you can get double the duration and double the configuration, otherwise you will be too embarrassed,

• pddpdd Member

@TimCaro said:

@angstrom hello,

Your people are really good at using western democracy and freedom of speech to defend yourself while you have none of them, such hypocritical and slick! Would love to know what you think of the racism against black and korean and indian all over your social media!It only takes me 5 seconds to search weibo for thousands of racist comments,of course you see none of these :D

• pddpdd Member

@Tokyom said:

If you keep kneeling and licking, you can get double the duration and double the configuration, otherwise you will be too embarrassed,

@angstrom Why not ban this guy?He's been unkind and aggressive, he's not even here to discuss issues properly.Look at his comments, all about persistent complaints and grievances and now chasing me like a hound dog.

This discussion has been closed.