Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MaxKVM all locations down - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MaxKVM all locations down

Comments

• @jmaxwell said:

@budi1413 said:

@jmaxwell said:

@glowbot said:
    ok so what even happened?? ALL locations down for more than a day and you all happy because they come up with no explaining of the event?

Most people here would be happy it they just get a month or so of service extension as a compensation. Those who used it to host serious stuff would move on to the next low end host and the cycle will continue.

are you bot?

ok.

i meant to reply hivelocity. i wrongly replied to you. :D

Thanked by 1danduel
  • claudioclaudio Member
    edited April 2022

I managed to connect via ipv6 to my NY instance using an old Dreamhost shared hosting account. Maybe some ipv6 routes are ok now. Still cant connect via ipv4 and the NY looking glass is still offline on my end http://lg.nyc.maxkvm.net/

• Adam1Adam1 Member

@claudio said: I managed to connect via ipv6 to my NY instance using an old Dreamhost shared hosting account.

Can you tell me what you mean by this? in the maxkvm panel it seems no ipv6 address has been assigned to my vps and if i try it says invalid address - im not familiar with ipv6 really so probably pebcak

• claudioclaudio Member
    edited April 2022

I'm not really familiar with ipv6 either. But my panel actually shows a valid ipv6 address for this NY VM. The same ipv6 address shows up in ifconfig.

Before using Dreamhost I tried ping / ssh on my ramnode / nexus bytes VM's, but the MaxKLVM addres was unreachable (still is). So I tried ping6 on my Dreamhost account (shared hosting) and it actually found a route. Thats how I'm moving data now (ssh via dreamhost). It's not fast AT ALL but at this point I'll take it.

@Adam1 said:

@claudio said: I managed to connect via ipv6 to my NY instance using an old Dreamhost shared hosting account.

Can you tell me what you mean by this? in the maxkvm panel it seems no ipv6 address has been assigned to my vps and if i try it says invalid address - im not familiar with ipv6 really so probably pebcak

• i think the new york servers are back to normal now

• miumiu Member

@Hivelocity

I am not sure what is truth, but when this is truth and real reason why they was disabled from network, then for me personally this is definitely enough reason to try to avoid using the services of hivelocity (and each one such "democratic, freedom loving provider"... if they really ban users for FREE SPEACH)

• @H84Gabor said:
    i think the new york servers are back to normal now

Get out immediately when you can.

Thanked by 1szymonp
  • @miu said: I am not sure what is truth, but when this is truth and real reason why they was disabled from network, then for me personally this is definitely enough reason to try to avoid using the services of hivelocity (and each one such "democratic, freedom loving provider"... if they really ban users for FREE SPEACH)

( facepalm ) So you're going to jump straight to HV is doing something wrong with no proof despite HV saying it's repeated ToS violations. Have you even considered the possibility that MaxKVM is in the wrong here?

• miumiu Member

@skorous said:

@miu said: I am not sure what is truth, but when this is truth and real reason why they was disabled from network, then for me personally this is definitely enough reason to try to avoid using the services of hivelocity (and each one such "democratic, freedom loving provider"... if they really ban users for FREE SPEACH)

( facepalm ) So you're going to jump straight to HV is doing something wrong with no proof despite HV saying it's repeated ToS violations. Have you even considered the possibility that MaxKVM is in the wrong here?

Pls read one more time what i wrote:
    "I am not sure what is truth, but when this is truth" THEN..

I am not sure if will know what is truth in this case ever, but maybe @Hivelocity can refute that it was not for freedom of speech? Or confirm it that yes, just this reason?

IMO: Censorship, especially the suppression of free opinion and speech is killing internet

• @miu said:

@skorous said:

@miu said: I am not sure what is truth, but when this is truth and real reason why they was disabled from network, then for me personally this is definitely enough reason to try to avoid using the services of hivelocity (and each one such "democratic, freedom loving provider"... if they really ban users for FREE SPEACH)

Pls read one more time what i wrote:
    "I am not sure what is truth, but when this is truth" THEN..

I am not sure if will know what is truth in this case ever, but maybe @Hivelocity can refute that it was not for freedom of speech? Or confirm it that yes, just this reason?

IMO: Censorship, especially the suppression of free opinion and speech is killing internet

There is a reason why free speech hosters exists, normal hosting companies has to abide to the law of the land on what they are hosting and its why terms of service and aup is exists, no sane company wants to go to court over what small customers are hosting and waste money on that.

• miumiu Member
    edited April 2022

@Ahfaiahkid said:

There is a reason why free speech hosters exists, normal hosting companies has to abide to the law of the land on what they are hosting and its why terms of service and aup is exists, no sane company wants to go to court over what small customers are hosting and waste money on that.

All right, prefer a provider who respects democracy = where you can think and say only what they allow you. I know money are money, but i try not do this (in frame of my possibilities).

• @miu said: All right, prefer a provider who respects democracy = where you can think and say only what they allow you. I know money are money, but i will try not do this.

Let's put it this way. How are you so certain that "free speech" is even the reason/problem for this engagement?

MaxKVM hasn't given any further information as to what's going on. Instead, they just said they're being silenced instead of stating what they're being silenced for. My assessment of this interaction is that they're simply using Free Speech as a cover to try and mobilize people towards their cause.

• @miu said: All right, prefer a provider who respects democracy = where you can think and say only what they allow you. I know money are money, but i try not do this.

( eye roll ) There's nowhere this conversation can go that doesn't wind up the thread being locked.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@HalfEatenPie said:

@miu said: All right, prefer a provider who respects democracy = where you can think and say only what they allow you. I know money are money, but i will try not do this.

Let's put it this way. How are you so certain that "free speech" is even the reason/problem for this engagement?

MaxKVM hasn't given any further information as to what's going on. Instead, they just said they're being silenced instead of stating what they're being silenced for. My assessment of this interaction is that they're simply using Free Speech as a cover to try and mobilize people towards their cause.

It's pretty simple. If it were about free speech then he'd be all too happy to share details.

• miumiu Member

@HalfEatenPie said:

@miu said: All right, prefer a provider who respects democracy = where you can think and say only what they allow you. I know money are money, but i will try not do this.

I won't repeat myself - instead, read what I wrote above ( = I said I'm not sure)
    But I wonder. Although I doubt @Hivelocity will publicly comment on this and deny or confirm this - that they do not have freedom of speech and expression, and it may be considered a violation of TOS

• @miu said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

I won't repeat myself - instead, read what I wrote above ( = I said I'm not sure)
    But I wonder. Although I doubt @Hivelocity will publicly comment on this and deny or confirm this - that they do not have freedom of speech and expression, and it may be considered a violation of TOS

No need to be a dick about it. What I was stating is that you're focusing too much on the freedom of speech as being a problem, even if you're not sure. I'm saying take a step back, think why MaxKVM might use that as an excuse to try and mobilize people to send emails to Hivelocity.

As someone who's been a Hivelocity customer for a long time (we're talking 5+ years now), I highly doubt "Freedom of Speech" as a problem. What's more realistic is they probably broke Terms of Service. Plain and simple.

• @HalfEatenPie said: I'm saying take a step back, think why MaxKVM might use that as an excuse to try and mobilize people to send emails to Hivelocity.

Stop being so bloody rational. @miu wants to be angry dammit!

• CybrCybr Member

@HalfEatenPie said:
    As someone who's been a Hivelocity customer for a long time (we're talking 5+ years now), I highly doubt "Freedom of Speech" as a problem. What's more realistic is they probably broke Terms of Service. Plain and simple.

Do you have clients hosting "free speech" sites that allow all legal speech on their network?

If MaxKVM lied about it being due to free speech, Hivelocity should have called them out in the announcement thread, instead of just posting a blanket Terms of Service response.

If it was illegal and not handled accordingly, then MaxKVM would be stupid to even argue with Hivelocity about it, let alone claim it was due to free speech.

If it was legal speech that they disallow in their Terms of Service, they have every right to terminate the contract, and MaxKVM should have used a different upstream provider. Same goes for any provider who doesn't want to lose their upstream when one of their clients says something they don't like.

Hopefully someone sets the record straight.

@Cybr said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

Do you have clients hosting "free speech" sites that allow all legal speech on their network?

If MaxKVM lied about it being due to free speech, Hivelocity should have called them out in the announcement thread, instead of just posting a blanket Terms of Service response.

If it was illegal and not handled accordingly, then MaxKVM would be stupid to even argue with Hivelocity about it, let alone claim it was due to free speech.

If it was legal speech that they disallow in their Terms of Service, they have every right to terminate the contract, and MaxKVM should have used a different upstream provider. Same goes for any provider who doesn't want to lose their upstream when one of their clients says something they don't like.

Hopefully someone sets the record straight.

Hivelocity isn't going to violate the users privacy no matter how hard you try to act like you're too stupid to know that. If it was about free speech then @MaxKVM could share the details as the only person actually able to appropriately do so. He won't. Because it isn't.

• @Adam1 said: I understand that MaxKVM customers are not your customers, but apart from the customer(s) that violated your ToS (or maybe KVM themselves), we are innocent. While the billing side of things we can deal with through out payment processor, it would be good if we could have an opportunity to access our VPS's and recover our data for a period of time. Please consider it.

agree. give us 48 hours max to access our VPS and move from stupid Maxkvm.

• @Cybr said: If MaxKVM lied about it being due to free speech, Hivelocity should have called them out in the announcement thread, instead of just posting a blanket Terms of Service response.

No provider, company, or professional entity will give you the specific details as to why a certain relationship has soured, and instead will state their public policies. This isn't unique to only Hivelocity but to any other professional company, irregardless of size. I can understand my stance can be considered a bit skewed as I've been working with them for a while, but at the end of the day I can pick and choose who I work with just like Hivelocity can pick and choose with who they can work with.

@Cybr said: If it was illegal and not handled accordingly, then MaxKVM would be stupid to even argue with Hivelocity about it, let alone claim it was due to free speech.

And yet dumber things have been done on this forum. Remember when Robert. J.F. Clarke admitted on a forum post to using a SolusVM Exploit on RamNode? It's not really a flow-chart of "If yes then good, if no then bad", but rather MaxKVM and Hivelocity's business relationships soured. MaxKVM tried to recruit public pressure using X, Y, and Z reasons (where we have no details or proof that that's even the entire reason or coming back to explain himself). Hivelocity won't release that information because it's internal communication between themselves and their client. I'm sure MaxKVM has access to emails or support tickets and they can offer screenshots if needed.

@Cybr said: If it was legal speech that they disallow in their Terms of Service, they have every right to terminate the contract, and MaxKVM should have used a different upstream provider. Same goes for any provider who doesn't want to lose their upstream when one of their clients says something they don't like.

That's just Risk Management 101. However, it seems that due diligence or just initial support/communication was not done to address these concerns. Now that we are here MaxKVM is reactionary rather than proactive.

@Cybr said: Hopefully someone sets the record straight.

Hard doubt we'll get the full picture. But from my experience in this industry I'd fault MaxKVM before I fault Hivelocity. He hasn't given any information on the situation beyond the call to action without a specific reason why. Usually you have to be more specific as to why people should heed your call to action, but instead it's just "Freedom of Speech!".

That's why I'm calling horseshit on this. It sounds so hand-wavy.

Regarding my support for Freedom of Speech, I'm sure my history as a former admin on vpsB and conduct would show that I do value that ideology strongly. Just in this case I think it's being exploited in a way where that's not actually the real reason.

Thanked by 4jar skorous Cybr lanefu
  • CybrCybr Member

@jar said:

Hivelocity isn't going to violate the users privacy no matter how hard you try to act like you're too stupid to know that. If it was about free speech then @MaxKVM could share the details as the only person actually able to appropriately do so. He won't. Because it isn't.

I don't know much about Hivelocity. I only know how I would act in the situation, as someone who values client privacy.

If one of my clients put out an announcement telling everyone to harass my company based on false pretenses of "free speech", I would at least mention the reason had nothing to do with "free speech" when responding to the announcement thread.

I would also mention if the action had been due to a legal issue and law enforcement was involved (unless prohibited by law enforcement of course).

Not clarifying these two points would allow my companies name to be tarnished under false pretenses.

• @Cybr said:

I don't know much about Hivelocity. I only know how I would act in the situation, as someone who values client privacy.

If one of my clients put out an announcement telling everyone to harass my company based on false pretenses of "free speech", I would at least mention the reason had nothing to do with "free speech" when responding to the announcement thread.

I would also mention if the action had been due to a legal issue and law enforcement was involved (unless prohibited by law enforcement of course).

Not clarifying these two points would allow my companies name to be tarnished under false pretenses.

There are different ways of approaching this. This is one method, however that opens you up to potential legal risks (even if you try to be as vague as possible). It's also a cost-benefit assessment here and realistically, it's only a single provider that (assuming here, I don't know MaxKVM nor use them) has a limited number of customers and the legal risk associated with those statements is not worth the reputation damage, especially since LE* is not their target market segment.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
    edited April 2022

It's your choice what you'd do with yours, I'm just here to say if you believe an accusation without details I'm not sure any amount of words are going to change it for you. That's basically along the lines of just believing whatever you want to be true.

I've already confirmed that it isn't about free speech by logical deduction. @MaxKVM is free to set me straight. I won't hold my breath. Today he chose to burn his business to the ground, truth is of little concern. The only way out is an honest and heartfelt confession and apology, not expecting that either. I'd start with the chargebacks.

Thanked by 2skorous dahartigan
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited April 2022

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Hivelocity Support.

Please stop sending us emails and liaise directly with MaxKVM themselves for any issues or disputes relating to your services with them.

Regards,
    Someone at HVC, at some point.

Thanked by 1miu
  • miumiu Member

Several clairvoyants in this thread first declared with certainty that maxKVM were fraudsters who aimed to rob users, a definitive deadpool and will not restore services. Nevertheless, all servers were returned back to operate state. Although it will be difficult for this provider to continue now, because I am afraid that a large number of customers (perhaps more than half) have lost because of this incident (and bad communication - also strong factor), BUT: they have at least allowed you all to get your data back. So he behaved the way in this case HONESTLY (despite his unprofessional behavior - let users long time withiut updates and info). Now other clairvoyants already know with certainty that his status is fabrication, adherence, lies and deception. I'd rather write that I don't know what's true, but I'd be interested / wonder if it is truth or not (if yes then it is an disappointment for me personally related to Hivelocity) That's all what i wrote.

• LA (LAX-10), where I had small zabbix vps is down for several days. Sent email to support_at_hivelocity about possibility to bring node online for some time to receive fresh backups, but with no response.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@KonstantinSh said:
    LA (LAX-10), where I had small zabbix vps is down for several days. Sent email to support_at_hivelocity about possibility to bring node online for some time to receive fresh backups, but with no response.

Stop sending mails to Hivelocity.

You're not a customer of theirs.

edited April 2022

@miu said:
    Several clairvoyants in this thread first declared with certainty that maxKVM were fraudsters who aimed to rob users, a definitive deadpool and will not restore services. Nevertheless, all servers were returned back to operate state. Although it will be difficult for this provider to continue now, because I am afraid that a large number of customers (perhaps more than half) have lost because of this incident (and bad communication - also strong factor), BUT: they have at least allowed you all to get your data back. So he behaved the way in this case HONESTLY (despite his unprofessional behavior - let users long time withiut updates and info). Now other clairvoyants already know with certainty that his status is fabrication, adherence, lies and deception. I'd rather write that I don't know what's true, but I'd be interested / wonder if it is truth or not (if yes then it is an disappointment for me personally related to Hivelocity) That's all what i wrote.

But you already wrote that you know what's true and you already picked a side. If you're going to shift around at least remember what you've already said and frame it as such. I'm right on this though, ask for screenshots that prove me wrong. I'll give you and him $1000 each if he produces unedited screenshots proving that this is about freedom of speech.

Come on boys, make some money. This is how confident I am in the people that I know and their values. I'll put up real cash against their morals.

Thanked by 2dahartigan DanSummer
  • CybrCybr Member

@HalfEatenPie said:

@Cybr said: If MaxKVM lied about it being due to free speech, Hivelocity should have called them out in the announcement thread, instead of just posting a blanket Terms of Service response.

No provider, company, or professional entity will give you the specific details as to why a certain relationship has soured, and instead will state their public policies. This isn't unique to only Hivelocity but to any other professional company, irregardless of size. I can understand my stance can be considered a bit skewed as I've been working with them for a while, but at the end of the day I can pick and choose who I work with just like Hivelocity can pick and choose with who they can work with.

I understand that companies have their policies, and would generally be in favor of total confidentiality.

I don't expect specific details, apart from refuting the false pretenses if they are false. Not doing so leaves room for speculation.

@Cybr said: If it was illegal and not handled accordingly, then MaxKVM would be stupid to even argue with Hivelocity about it, let alone claim it was due to free speech.

And yet dumber things have been done on this forum. Remember when Robert. J.F. Clarke admitted on a forum post to using a SolusVM Exploit on RamNode? It's not really a flow-chart of "If yes then good, if no then bad", but rather MaxKVM and Hivelocity's business relationships soured. MaxKVM tried to recruit public pressure using X, Y, and Z reasons (where we have no details or proof that that's even the entire reason or coming back to explain himself). Hivelocity won't release that information because it's internal communication between themselves and their client. I'm sure MaxKVM has access to emails or support tickets and they can offer screenshots if needed.

Yeah, wouldn't put anything past this place. The strategy MaxKVM has chosen isn't exactly helping their case either. It's still hard to believe they would think anything could prevent their service being shut down due to laws.

@Cybr said: If it was legal speech that they disallow in their Terms of Service, they have every right to terminate the contract, and MaxKVM should have used a different upstream provider. Same goes for any provider who doesn't want to lose their upstream when one of their clients says something they don't like.

That's just Risk Management 101. However, it seems that due diligence or just initial support/communication was not done to address these concerns. Now that we are here MaxKVM is reactionary rather than proactive.

>

@Cybr said: Hopefully someone sets the record straight.

Hard doubt we'll get the full picture. But from my experience in this industry I'd fault MaxKVM before I fault Hivelocity. He hasn't given any information on the situation beyond the call to action without a specific reason why. Usually you have to be more specific as to why people should heed your call to action, but instead it's just "Freedom of Speech!".

That's why I'm calling horseshit on this. It sounds so hand-wavy.

Regarding my support for Freedom of Speech, I'm sure my history as a former admin on vpsB and conduct would show that I do value that ideology strongly. Just in this case I think it's being exploited in a way where that's not actually the real reason.

The timeline of how this played out is what we need to know, and we can only speculate why MaxKVM hasn't shared more details.

The most obvious reason would be because they are at fault and/or lying, and are trying to obscure that fact to rally support. Still find it hard to believe they think this is a good strategy to turn the situation around, when it's going to only piss off their provider even more.

It's also possible the "free speech" content in question has some political undertone, in which case they may just be trying to avoid details because that will alienate half of their supporters. If that's the case, they should just suck it up and release the details, and deal with the fall out. That's an inevitable part of being a host which supports free speech in 2022.

Regardless, they need to come to terms with the fact that this strategy has failed, and be honest with everyone.