Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why use inferior products for less money?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SirFoxySirFoxy Member

...when using the better quality product generally saves you time, therefore money.

a good example of this is the Google ecosystem, sure I could pay less money for storage by using a shady storage shit box but why? everything else is already on it and i'll never worry about losing the data.

you get what you pay for 9/10 times.

paying more frequently saves you more in the long term when you factor in time / opportunity cost, and quality of life.

/discuss

Thanked by 1msallak1

Comments

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited April 2022

@SirFoxy said: a good example of this is the Google ecosystem, sure I could pay less money for storage by using a shady storage shit box but why? everything else is already on it and i'll never worry about losing the data.

Personally, I like to develop my devops skills by self hosting stuff.

Also, haven't you heard of things like Google DMCA'ing files that has the content "1" in it? Or being locked out of Google due to their strict account policies? It's in my interest to avoid those situations.

• I buy cheap wine and get drunk as fast as on expensive wine.

Thanked by 2Logano SP
  • @stevewatson301 said:

@SirFoxy said: a good example of this is the Google ecosystem, sure I could pay less money for storage by using a shady storage shit box but why? everything else is already on it and i'll never worry about losing the data.

Personally, I like to develop my devops skills by self hosting stuff.

Also, haven't you heard of things like Google DMCA'ing files that has the content "1" in it? Or being locked out of Google due to their strict account policies? It's in my interest to avoid those situations.

for the first part, that's understandable.

this isn't really an attack on hobbyists, just the general principle of paying less for an inferior product and the grand scheme of the pros/cons of that.

for the second part, i've never personally had any issues.

i basically use my google drive as a CDN for my clients, it works great for me.

• @drizbo said:
    I buy cheap wine and get drunk as fast as on expensive wine.

haha, but what about in the morning?

the hangover hits different guaranteed.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Nobody ever got fired for buying AWS.

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited April 2022

@SirFoxy said: paying less for an inferior product

People think their time investment doesn't incur costs. Regrettably, trading time to save a bit of money is a fool's errand, but I don't think the concept can be explained easily to most folks.

@SirFoxy said: i've never personally had any issues.

All rainbows and unicorns till you actually get locked out of a Google account. I personally thought a lot of people having these issues were just PMSing, until it happened to me.

• I've had Google lock me out of an account that was brand new and completely unused.

I had created the account, changed a few settings, and left it for a few days while I waited on the team I was working with to add me. A few days later I noticed my account was banned.

I appealed it and they did reinstate the account a day or two later, but I never got any explanation about the ban.

• @lentro said:
    Nobody ever got fired for buying AWS.

yeah, blindly spending more money isn't necessarily the point either.

do your research, but you'll often find the choice that costs more is higher quality.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

The cost savings tend to outweigh the extra effort I spend :)

Thanked by 3Logano szymonp taizi
  • ChuckChuck Member

I consider Google ecosystem are shady.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint jsg
  • Your time costs a lot, but others don't. Some just love to play with all kinds of cheap services

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Google Drive is absolutely fantastic for what it is, especially powerful when used with rclone.

I could argue that it's much cheaper, and therefore shittier, to pay for a gdrive account to store 40TB of data than it would be to pay thousands per month elsewhere.

@SirFoxy discuss

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited April 2022

theoretically yes. in reality the level of quality fluctuates over time and can go either way. so there's still no guarantee regardless of price paid, unless we are talking about B2B.

so if i still have to worry about things, why pay more?

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2022

It just depends on your needs and budget , sometime cheap services work as great as big providers . with cheap services you can have others to have backups

• @dahartigan said:
    Google Drive is absolutely fantastic for what it is, especially powerful when used with rclone.

I could argue that it's much cheaper, and therefore shittier, to pay for a gdrive account to store 40TB of data than it would be to pay thousands per month elsewhere.

@SirFoxy discuss

step 1) build own 40TB storage node in basement.

step 2) run node for 2 years.

step 3) herd of Australian snakes destroy node.

step 4) success???

• @SirFoxy said:

@dahartigan said:
    Google Drive is absolutely fantastic for what it is, especially powerful when used with rclone.

@SirFoxy discuss

step 4) success???

Step 5) Purchase gdrive subscription.

Interesting fact, we don't have basements here in Australia. If we did, they'd probably flood out.

Thanked by 2hostdare SirFoxy
  • @dahartigan said:

@SirFoxy said:

@dahartigan said:

@SirFoxy discuss

step 4) success???

Step 5) Purchase gdrive subscription.

Interesting fact, we don't have basements here in Australia. If we did, they'd probably flood out.

damn, that'd be such cheaper cooling though.

today I learned Australians don't have basements.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@dahartigan said:

You’re fucking kidding me. I think that means I turned down anal when I was in Sydney 20 years ago.

Thanked by 2dahartigan emgh
  • racknerd is cheaper and better than google.
    you can also get double bandwith.
    So why pay more?

• @Nekki said:

@dahartigan said:

You’re fucking kidding me. I think that means I turned down anal when I was in Sydney 20 years ago.

southerners like to do it down south, nekks.

it's free plan b.

Thanked by 2Nekki dahartigan
  • @permatahost said:
    racknerd is cheaper and better than google.
    you can also get double bandwith.
    So why pay more?

would you like to add an offer shortly after i mentioned ass fucking @dustinc ?

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • LoganoLogano Member
    edited April 2022

Depends on what your definition of good enough is for something, I think, which defines how satisfied you are with a certain purchase at a certain price, and it's also commesurate with how important something is to you and how much of your money you're willing to part with for something.

Why buy a Toyota over a Lexus? Or a Lexus over a Benz?
    Why buy a Ryzen over a Threadripper?
    Why fly on economy over business? Or business over first?
    Why subscribe to consumer internet over business internet?
    Why clean your own house over hiring a professional maid?
    Why sleep on a $500 bed over a $5,000 one?
    Why live in a 2BR/1BA apartment over a 10BR/5BA mansion?
    I mean, it's endless.

Personally, I love depreciation on certain things like phones and computers now that I don't chase games much. Phones specifically have CRAZY depreciation, like 70-80%+ in 3 years. So instead of buying an awesome, brand new flagship phone for $1,200, I get a 3-year old flagship that's used, in excellent condition (no burn ins, no dead pixels, no chips, etc.) for $200. I might have to replace the battery once while it's my primary phone, but that's about it. There's still plenty of life left on my Note 9 8GB/512GB and two S10 5G 8GB/256GBs which were all $190-$220 apiece.

Also used to buy $120 Instant Pots for being "the original" but they kept breaking down after a couple years. Last year, I bought the Farberware version for $50 during BF and it's pretty much the same thing.

• VoidVoid Member

Translation: why LET exists ?

• @jmaxwell said:

Translation: why LET exists ?

It serves a market certainly.

• @Logano said:
    Depends on what your definition of good enough is for something, I think, which defines how satisfied you are with a certain purchase at a certain price, and it's also commesurate with how important something is to you and how much of your money you're willing to part with for something.

Why buy a Toyota over a Lexus? Or a Lexus over a Benz?
    Why buy a Ryzen over a Threadripper?
    Why fly on economy over business? Or business over first?
    Why subscribe to consumer internet over business internet?
    Why clean your own house over hiring a professional maid?
    Why sleep on a $500 bed over a $5,000 one?
    Why live in a 2BR/1BA apartment over a 10BR/5BA mansion?
    I mean, it's endless.

Personally, I love depreciation on certain things like phones and computers now that I don't chase games much. Phones specifically have CRAZY depreciation, like 70-80%+ in 3 years. So instead of buying an awesome, brand new flagship phone for $1,200, I get a 3-year old flagship that's used, in excellent condition (no burn ins, no dead pixels, no chips, etc.) for $200. I might have to replace the battery once while it's my primary phone, but that's about it. There's still plenty of life left on my Note 9 8GB/512GB and two S10 5G 8GB/256GBs which were all $190-$220 apiece.

Also used to buy $120 Instant Pots for being "the original" but they kept breaking down after a couple years. Last year, I bought the Farberware version for $50 during BF and it's pretty much the same thing.

In the advertising world, you'd simply summarize this with "value" -- what an individual values is relevant to the individual.

I guarantee you that you have something specific you value highly.

There's something in this world you'd pay a large amount of money for to get a greater amount of value back from.

• @SirFoxy said:
    "value"

Yes, exactly!

I guarantee you that you have something specific you value highly.

There's something in this world you'd pay a large amount of money for to get a greater amount of value back from.

Yep, definitely, and it's the MX518 mouse where the greatest value comes from comfort. :) Or MX500, or MX510, whichever is available for cheaper in new or like-new condition. Luckily, the MX518 re-release happened and they are cheap! God I can't stand other mice, regardless of price.

And then there's the raising kids issue where the greatest value comes from just watching them grow healthy and happy regardless of cost. :wink: :wink:

Thanked by 1MrLime
  • SPSP Member

I've found that the generic crayons taste almost the same as the expensive crayola crayons, so I'm fine paying less for my waxy yum yums. Some people would say they are inferior, but I feel like they serve the purpose adequately.

That is probably the same with everything. Why use Epix when you can pay for Netflix or Hulu?

Thanked by 2dahartigan Logano
  • @SP said:
    I've found that the generic crayons taste almost the same as the expensive crayola crayons, so I'm fine paying less for my waxy yum yums. Some people would say they are inferior, but I feel like they serve the purpose adequately.

That is probably the same with everything. Why use Epix when you can pay for Netflix or Hulu?

Puts on Netflix.

Thanked by 1SP
  • @SP said: Netflix or Hulu?

@SirFoxy said: Netflix

Both are inferior to a self hosted Plex server and its associated *arr companions.

• @SirFoxy how can you afford superior products while barely making minimum wage, by your own admission?

Thanked by 3SP Logano the_doctor