Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Route48.org :: Free IPv6 BGP Enabled Tunnelbroker Service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Route48.org :: Free IPv6 BGP Enabled Tunnelbroker Service

ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR
edited April 2022 in General

Route48

Did you always want to have IPv6 at home, but your ISP doesn't realise it's 2022 and refused to deploy it?
Have you ever thought how cool it would be to have your own personal IPv6 block with your own whois information on it?
Just imagine... how awesome it would be able to do real-world BGP and control your own IPv6 space?
Imagine, no more! We want to formally introduce Route48.org! Your new free TunnelBroker, IPv6 network allocator, and BGP session / IPv6 transit provider! Yes Free, instant, and automatic!

What is Route48, and why should we care?

The idea behind this project is to enable a regular user to learn, use and play with IPv6, BGP, and networking in a safe, free and automated manner. As an LIR it is our responsibility to promote and endorse the use of IPv6 to our end clients and serve them with the opportunity to learn and use IP resources (in this case IPv6 resources)
We take pride in knowing that we are actively supporting the adoption of IPv6 for users that would otherwise find it too difficult. But now, without further ado lets go over the features of this new platform:

IPv6 Tunnel Broker

Route48's tunnel broker functionality enables any user to create what is called a 6in4 tunnel (GRE/SIT) or a Wireguard tunnel. This gives you the ability to create a simple, VPN-like, tunnel where you get allocated a full /48 IPv6 block and you can route all your IPv6 traffic through one of our nodes. 6in4 tunnel enables any user to bring IPv6 into their home network or to a server that is IPv4 only. From over 22 geographical locations (and growing) you're able to choose the location that is closest to you or your server.

Automated IPv6 prefix Allocation

Everyone wants to have their IP space and be able to manage the space themselves. Well, now you can, and you can do this for free. In Route48 we can assign and allocate multiple IPv6 prefixes, this means you can control the name, and country and even add your RIPE maintainer to the assigned IPv6 network. You can even take the newly assigned IPv6 space to your hosting providers and ask them to announce the prefix on their network and route the IPv6 space to your existing server(s). We provide LOAs, and each allocation is automatically signed with an RPKI ROA and IRR object. Let's also keep in mind how much of a perfect excuse this would be to learn how to manage IP resources on the RIPE database, securely and safely using your RIPE account.

Automated BGP Sessions

Now we all know that once you have your IP address, the next step is to get them announced and routed on the internet. While you can use the allocated address space with whatever upstream you wish, Route48 offers automatic BGP sessions over your IPv6 tunnels. This means you can start exporting and announcing your newly allocated IPv6 networks using your BGP sessions and route them to where you wish! (Free and automated IPv6 transit for your newly allocated IPv6 space)

Route48 Global Network & Sponsors

Route48 is proud to be able to offer so many different node locations for 6in4 tunnels and for transit, as of right now we have nodes in 22 different locations around the world (and a few more in the works)
Yes, all of this is free! But how? Well, we are lucky enough to have a few hosting providers who were willing to sponsor IP space and servers for this project, this is the reason we can offer such a diverse number of locations with such flexible and automated features.

Further Disclosure...

This project is a joint partnership between Cloudie Networks & Zappie Host. Administration of all nodes in use provided by our sponsors and directly, are done so by only Cloudie Networks, & Zappie Host.

In short, this platform can empower end-users to do more with IPv6 and be less locked into what your hosting provider or ISP provides you. Let's be honest, who doesn't want an IPv6 address that has the words b00b in it :P

P.S. we love feedback, criticism, and suggestions. If you have an idea or even a question about this project, we would love to hear it!

P.S.S This thread has been approved by management

Comments

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

For those who simply want to see what this platform looks like and how it works without going registering here are some screenshots and a short video showing all the features end to end

Screenshots (Album): https://imgur.com/a/1bW8sTz

Short video showing all features: https://youtu.be/7iqo9qyKUIQ

Node location & their IPv4 addresses (For latency checks)

• 152.36.202.2 - Fujairah [AE]
    • 216.238.103.82 - São Paulo [BR]
    • 104.224.52.139 - Castlegar [CA]
    • 74.119.150.68 - Toronto [CA]
    • 23.154.81.69 - Vancouver [CA]
    • 216.73.159.36 - Valdivia [CL]
    • 194.50.19.11 - Frankfurt [DE]
    • 193.38.249.2 - Madrid [ES]
    • 185.10.17.245 - Paris [FR]
    • 144.48.63.122 - London [GB]
    • 65.20.68.197 - Mumbai [IN]
    • 152.89.170.175 - Pomezia [IT]
    • 185.107.82.73 - Steenbergen [NL]
    • 185.125.168.181 - Sandefjord [NO]
    • 103.208.86.33 - Auckland [NZ]
    • 45.77.45.47 - Singapore [SG]
    • 103.147.22.87 - Taipei [TW]
    • 193.218.118.68 - Kyiv [UA]
    • 45.63.49.83 - Los Angeles [US]
    • 23.134.88.2 - Fremont [US]
    • 170.39.224.166 - Virginia [US]
    • 192.189.65.156 - Kansas City [US]
    Thanked by 2JasonM Durs
  • itoito Member, Host Rep

I am using this service! Thank you so much Zappie for your generosity!
    ありがとうございました。 :)

Thanked by 2ariq01 Smishcraft
  • Another alternative to he.net, Awesome.
    Hope some ports like 25 have been firewalled to prevent abuse. Keep it up.

• thanks. UI looks nice. will give it a try!

• CloudieCloudie Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2022

@ask_seek_knock said: Hope some ports like 25 have been firewalled to prevent abus

Yes, common abusive ports have been blocked from all tunnel servers. :-)

@ito said: I am using this service!

Great to hear! :-)

@JasonM said: will give it a try!

Will be the best thing you do today! :-P .. (maybe)

• Happy user here. Thanks for the nice service. :)

Thanked by 2Zappie Smishcraft
  • dosaidosai Member

Wireguard works very well. Thanks ❤️

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@raindog308 @Not_Oles

One of you needs to write about this amazing community project and give them some well deserved exposure in the blog.

• mcgreemcgree Member
    edited April 2022

The service is very good, but I hope there will be some measures to prevent abuse.

One man's fault is other man's lesson...

https://www.tunnelbroker.ch/ (BGP Session Abuse & Heavy Load,Low Speed)
    https://www.tunnelbroker.net/ (Used as a VPN abuse, once blocked by Cloudflare)
    http://ipv6.ip4market.ru/ (When leaving RU, the access quality is very poor and there may be insufficient bandwidth)

Some dead pools shouldn't be listed here, anyway, I'd want to know your profit model and abuse management, HE as Tier-1 doesn't need to consider network transmission costs (low enough).

and it is possible that some areas will become hardest hit by web proxies.

Anyway, the promotion of IPv6 is a very good thing, but I'm concerned about network abuse.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles ito
  • Great service!

• Also a user! Thank you for the excellent service!

• Wireguard option is great!

• CatixsCatixs Member, Host Rep

Greeting! Tried earlier which is amazing.

• coldcold Member

thank you very much !!!!!!

• Can I bind nginx on this ipv6?

@mcgree said:
    The service is very good, but I hope there will be some measures to prevent abuse.

One man's fault is other man's lesson...

https://www.tunnelbroker.ch/ (BGP Session Abuse & Heavy Load,Low Speed)
    https://www.tunnelbroker.net/ (Used as a VPN abuse, once blocked by Cloudflare)
    http://ipv6.ip4market.ru/ (When leaving RU, the access quality is very poor and there may be insufficient bandwidth)

Some dead pools shouldn't be listed here, anyway, I'd want to know your profit model and abuse management, HE as Tier-1 doesn't need to consider network transmission costs (low enough).

and it is possible that some areas will become hardest hit by web proxies.

Anyway, the promotion of IPv6 is a very good thing, but I'm concerned about network abuse.

All are super valid questions and concerns ill try answer best I can about the above

Mail Abuse:

To do some (expected) proactive abuse filtering we do block mail ports (users can email us with justification wanting to have their tunnel mail ports unblocked - think home user using mail clients)

BGP Session Abuse

Route48 has taken steps to filter out any non Route48.org provided subnet from the BGP Services. Any Prefix that is not provided by Route48.org will fail to be exported to our upstream providers and onto the DFZ (Default-Free Zone), and tagged with our no-export community (9009). This means we dont have to worry about fake or false IRR objects or users doing any sort of hijacking of space that isnt theirs. Prefixes that have not been exported to the DFZ, will show a message in the BGP Sessions tab of https://app.route48.org, as seen here:

Profit Model & Costs

The main drive for this project is to enable more users to be dual stacked (or even just bigger IPv6 space to use the way they see fit - both for home and datacenter uses)
    We (and every single one of our sponsors) are all LIR members, it is part of our duties to see and be part of the growth of the internet, lowering the barrier to entry to enabling more IPv6 is the goal, hence such a project (in our opinion) should not come at a finical cost to the end user

With the help of our amazing sponsors we're able to provide so many diverse locations (and that list is growing). and what we get in return is tiny brand exposure, and the knowledge that we're doing out bit to support the community.

All our sponsors have been really excited by the project and wanted to help where they could <3

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@Nyr said:
    @raindog308 @Not_Oles

One of you needs to write about this amazing community project and give them some well deserved exposure in the blog.

Thanks @Nyr! Already been talking a little behind the scenes with @Cloudie and @Zappie. If you have specific suggestions about topics which might be covered in the article, please do let me know. Thanks again! :)

@Donkey said: Can I bind nginx on this ipv6?

If you create a GRE tunnel on your server, you can then add/remove IP address to your interface for example ip -6 addr add foo:ba3::123/48 dev ROUTE48-TUNNEL and then have nginx listen to [::]:443 and add the IPv6 address to you domain DNS

Thanked by 1Donkey
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@mcgree said: I'd want to know your profit model and abuse management, HE as Tier-1 doesn't need to consider network transmission costs (low enough).

Thanks @mcgree!

@Cloudie and @Zappie: Here are @mcgree's possible questions for the upcoming LEB article:

1. What's your profit model?
    2. How do you manage abuse?

Here are more questions:

1. Who are you guys?
    2. How / when did you meet each other?
    3. How did Route48 get started?

Anybody else want to contribute a question?

@Cloudie and @Zappie: Could you please PM me the answers to the questions? Than I will start putting the article together in WP.

Thanks so much, yet again! Greetings from Sonora! 🏜️

• @Zappie said:

If you create a GRE tunnel on your server, you can then add/remove IP address to your interface for example ip -6 addr add foo:ba3::123/48 dev ROUTE48-TUNNEL and then have nginx listen to [::]:443 and add the IPv6 address to you domain DNS

If any DMCA notice, tunnel will be blacked?

Thanked by 1FoxelVox
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I must admit ipv6 is my weakest point of knowledge. Is there any easy tutorial to get this going on windows or is there some config that needs to be done on my router to get this to work - I assume this would allow me to access ipv6 via my home ipv4?

• skorousskorous Member
    edited April 2022

@risharde said:
    I must admit ipv6 is my weakest point of knowledge. Is there any easy tutorial to get this going on windows or is there some config that needs to be done on my router to get this to work - I assume this would allow me to access ipv6 via my home ipv4?

I believe you unknowingly asked a much wider question than you intended. If you mean simply "how do I get IPv6" then it can be as simple as setting up wireguard on either your windows box or your router. If you mean, "how do I set up BGP so I can have my own routed ipv6 to my house" that's a much more difficult question ( which I don't know the answer to :) ).

I set up two linux boxes I already had wireguard installed in less than five minutes.

EDIT: two not to

• @Zappie said:

Assigning a /48 prefix to an interface looks odd. Won't it cause routing loops, if when you receive a packet to an address within the /48 that's not part of a sub-prefix that's used somewhere else?

Personally I would reserve a /64 from the /48 that I want to use on the server, and then assign an address (/128) to the loopback (lo) interface:
    ip addr add 2001:db8:f00:face::1234/128 dev lo

And I would also add an unreachable route for the whole /48:
    ip route add unreachable 2001:db8:f00::/48

@Not_Oles said: M me the answers to the questions

I will get this done for you shortly, need coffee.. :-)

@risharde said: windows or is there some config that needs to be done on my router to get this to work

Depending on your router, you can enable your entire home network with IPv6 Connectivity with a few simple additions to the router configuration.
    Or, you can do it directly on your windows PC. with SIT or Wireguard tunnels :)

BGP on Windows.. lets not do this ;-) I do believe if i remember correctly, there is no BGP Clients that work with Windows, but, of course this might have changed, it's not something I actively look for.

@skorous said: less than five minutes

Simple, hassle free Tunneling :-)

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • ChuckChuck Member

Free :) .

@Chuck said: Free .

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • tonyli321tonyli321 Member
    edited April 2022

I want to add ipv6 to my multiple hosts, I need to send emails multiple times to inform different asn numbers.
    At the same time, I would like to know how the Internet speed is in China.

• Hey thanks for offering this free service across locations across the world! This can certainly drive adoption.

Do you offer paid services like ASN registration? Extra revenue stream couldn't hurt, could it? :)

Thanked by 1adly
  • @Donkey said:

@Zappie said:

If any DMCA notice, tunnel will be blacked?

@Zappie @Cloudie please reply

• Unfortunately IRC is one of the blocked services