Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway Stardust IPv6 €0.37/mo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway Stardust IPv6 €0.37/mo

emghemgh Member
edited April 2022 in Reviews

So I created the Stardust instance on Scaleway. It was out of stock but the API way worked fine.

Performance is very good for the price. Highly recommended.

YABS:

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
#                     v2022-02-18                    #
# https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Tue Apr  5 14:17:44 UTC 2022

Basic System Information:
---------------------------------
Processor  : AMD EPYC 7281 16-Core Processor
CPU cores  : 1 @ 2096.062 MHz
AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
RAM        : 973.3 MiB
Swap       : 0.0 KiB
Disk       : 8.9 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
Read       | 150.23 MB/s  (37.5k) | 816.09 MB/s  (12.7k)
Write      | 150.62 MB/s  (37.6k) | 820.38 MB/s  (12.8k)
Total      | 300.86 MB/s  (75.2k) | 1.63 GB/s    (25.5k)
           |                      |                     
Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
Read       | 1.14 GB/s     (2.2k) | 1.12 GB/s     (1.0k)
Write      | 1.20 GB/s     (2.3k) | 1.19 GB/s     (1.1k)
Total      | 2.35 GB/s     (4.5k) | 2.32 GB/s     (2.2k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                |                           |                 |                
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 359 Mbits/sec   | 543 Mbits/sec  
Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 211 Mbits/sec   | busy           
WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | busy            | busy           
WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | 336 Mbits/sec   | 413 Mbits/sec  
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 256 Mbits/sec   | 1.86 Gbits/sec 
Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 239 Mbits/sec   | 1.08 Gbits/sec 

Geekbench releases can only be downloaded over IPv4. FTP the Geekbench files and run manually.

Comments

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2022

That's really impressive for the price.
    Can you show me pricing page for it ?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • WolfWolf Member

@Saahib said:

Order the regular Stardust for 0.0025€/h (1,8€/pm) and remove the IPv4. Done.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@Wolf said:

@Saahib said:

Yep, that's it.

Thanked by 1Wolf
  • emghemgh Member

Command to create the instance using API (read the docs):

scw instance server create type=STARDUST1-S zone=nl-ams-1 image=ubuntu_focal root-volume=l:10G name=test ip=none ipv6=true project-id=YOUR-PROJECT-ID

• mrTommrTom Member

@emgh said: Command to create the instance using API

On their site they mention that these instances are very limited. Is that just marketing, or can you expect that API call to work only infrequently?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited April 2022

@mrTom said:

@emgh said: Command to create the instance using API

On their site they mention that these instances are very limited. Is that just marketing, or can you expect that API call to work only infrequently?

I think it works most of the time, however, I think old accounts are limited to two instances and new accounts one instance.

My API call fails, but I think that's because I already have one instance, and I'm not in the mood to destroy it in order to test my theory ;)

Edit: Speculating a lot since I really don't know. I just know the API worked for the instantly but once I had one it just didn't (many people say that it works until you've got one in par-1 and one is ams-1 but for me it dosen't work and I've only got 1 in ams-1 and 0 in par-1).

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@emgh said: My API call fails, but I think that's because I already have one instance, and I'm not in the mood to destroy it in order to test my theory

It was supposed to be one per DC: AMS and PAR. Try creating in another DC.

• emghemgh Member

@rm_ said:

@emgh said: My API call fails, but I think that's because I already have one instance, and I'm not in the mood to destroy it in order to test my theory

It was supposed to be one per DC: AMS and PAR. Try creating in another DC.

Edited the post. It dosen't.

Error: Bad image label 'ubuntu_focal' for STARDUST1-S

• @emgh said:

scw instance server create type=STARDUST1-S zone=nl-ams-1 image=ubuntu_focal root-volume=l:10G name=test ip=none ipv6=true project-id=YOUR-PROJECT-ID

I have created instance but what will be the default root password?

• emghemgh Member

@aniruddhnishad said:

@emgh said:

You'll have to upload an SSH key to Scaleway. If you don't have native IPv6, use Cloudflare Warp when connecting :)

What location? AMS?

Thanked by 1aniruddhnishad
  • @emgh said:

@aniruddhnishad said:

@emgh said:

You'll have to upload an SSH key to Scaleway. If you don't have native IPv6, use Cloudflare Warp when connecting :)

What location? AMS?

i have just run your script and it worked may be netherland.

Thanked by 1emgh

@emgh said: Edited the post. It dosen't.

Well, could be this OS is not available in the particular DC? Weird, but maybe just try with Debian? Tnx

• emghemgh Member

@rm_ said:

@emgh said: Edited the post. It dosen't.

Well, could be this OS is not available in the particular DC? Weird, but maybe just try with Debian? Tnx

Bad image label 'debian_bullseye' for STARDUST1-S

All I can say it is a weird error to say the instances are out of stock, or that your quota is out.

Thanked by 1xms
  • emghemgh Member

@rm_ said:
    All I can say it is a weird error to say the instances are out of stock, or that your quota is out.

Well everything from the error code to their marketing and them not mentioning the limits all seems weird to me.

• Ohh dm

• I have 2 (one in each DC) but it has been idling for as long as I remember.... any good uses for it?

• emghemgh Member

@klikli said:
    I have 2 (one in each DC) but it has been idling for as long as I remember.... any good uses for it?

Any web-related thing. Cloudflare does the magic and will allow IPv4 & IPv6 to connect.

Thanked by 1xms
  • @klikli said:
    I have 2 (one in each DC) but it has been idling for as long as I remember.... any good uses for it?

I use mine for monitoring response times and DNS queries.

• AlicAlic Member

@Wolf said:

@Saahib said:

Hey, thanks for the tip and trying this myself. is it enough to turn off the public ip in the Scaleway console or is anything more needed to "remove the IP4"?

Thanked by 2emgh zhsso
  • emghemgh Member

@Alic said:

@Wolf said:

@Saahib said:

Hey, thanks for the tip and trying this myself. is it enough to turn off the public ip in the Scaleway console or is anything more needed to "remove the IP4"?

If you use the API command (scw instance server create type=STARDUST1-S zone=nl-ams-1 image=ubuntu_focal root-volume=l:10G name=test ip=none ipv6=true project-id=YOUR-PROJECT-ID) it creates it without IPv4, see "ip=none ipv6=true".

Thanked by 1Alic
  • AlicAlic Member

Scaleway just came up with a current consumption pie of €0.04 excl. taxes, €0.01 for compute and €0.03 for Local SSD. This is the basic 10GB local storage created initially. This comes to €1.2 pm (assuming no further charges in the balance day) and about €15 per year. Not cheap for an ipv6 only vps.

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited April 2022

@Alic said:
    Scaleway just came up with a current consumption pie of €0.04 excl. taxes, €0.01 for compute and €0.03 for Local SSD. This is the basic 10GB local storage created initially. This comes to €1.2 pm (assuming no further charges in the balance day) and about €15 per year. Not cheap for an ipv6 only vps.

The current consumption is just an estimate and does not scale in the way you are calculating. It may stay on those values for several days.

Since I cannot select a Stardust instance to create and look at the estimate right now, I will refer to my bill and do some calculations manually.

Pulling out last months bill, my compute charge for a single Stardust instance was €0.09:

Run - AMS1 (1 resource) Mar 1, 2022, 12:00:00 AM → Mar 31, 2022, 11:59:59 PM 44,640 minutes €0.09

A local SSD is billed at €0.0004/hour for 10GB. This comes out at €0.29.
    You can find this by trying to create one from the dashboard (Make sure not to select Block storage!)

29 + 9 = 38 so the monthly cost of a Stardust without IP is €0.38/mo. This is consistent with what I thought it was.

Apply that annually and you get €4.56/yr

The Stardust instances are weird because they're wildly cheaper than the other instances at Scaleway.

Digging into it further to find the hourly for the compute alone:

The website advertises the total cost as €0.0025/hour
    We can know from the console that an IP adddress is €0.002/hour so that already brings our total down to €0.0005/hour
    We know from earlier the SSD is €0.0004/hour
    Therefore it stands to reason that the cost of the compute is €0.0001/hour

I hope that clears things up, I'm not really all that good at crunching numbers like this so thats a bit all over the place, but it's all consistent with what I've experienced over the last year of running a pair of Stardust instances without IP addresses.

Thanked by 4emgh mrTom Alic xms
  • emghemgh Member
    edited April 2022

@Erisa said:

@Alic said:

The current consumption is just an estimate and does not scale in the way you are calculating. It may stay on those values for several days.

Since I cannot select a Stardust instance to create and look at the estimate right now, I will refer to my bill and do some calculations manually.

Pulling out last months bill, my compute charge for a single Stardust instance was €0.09:

Run - AMS1 (1 resource) Mar 1, 2022, 12:00:00 AM → Mar 31, 2022, 11:59:59 PM 44,640 minutes €0.09

You can find this by trying to create one from the dashboard (Make sure not to select Block storage!)

29 + 9 = 38 so the monthly cost of a Stardust without IP is €0.38/mo. This is consistent with what I thought it was.

The Stardust instances are weird because they're wildly cheaper than the other instances at Scaleway.

We can know from the console that an IP adddress is €0.002/hour so that already brings our total down to €0.0005/hour

I hope that clears things up, I'm not really all that good at crunching numbers like this so thats a bit all over the place, but it's all consistent with what I've experienced over the last year of running a pair of Stardust instances without IP addresses.

Great calculations, but, I also think it's unfair to compare this to a IPv6-only one-man-show operation and say that this is a dollar more expensive and therefore 30 % more expensive, Scaleway, unlike the IPv6-only one-man-shows, isn't going away tomorrow.

As long as I'd have a decent backup system and decent monitoring, I'd feel great running production (not hyper important) stuff on the Stardust. Especially if you run both snapshots as well as off-site backups.

The most probable bad thing that could happen would be a disk failure, well, a boot from a snapshot takes a minute.

Sucks though that they don't do automatic snapshots, but hey, there's solutions (3rd parties & API) for that too.

• AlicAlic Member

Thank you guys for your insights. I only have a day's experience and was extrapolating but true, it may not scale like that. Stardust is by no means my production server atm but looking ahead, costs permitting, could definitely make more use of it.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • for me it creates it with api but then refuses to start it.

• wait nvm I used a different region this time and it worked!

• AWITMAWITM Member

@emgh said:

Thank you, this worked using the CLI :)

Thanked by 1emgh
  • also you can change the image to a different OS in cli:

image=debian_bullseye

Thanked by 1emgh
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@emgh said:

@Erisa said:

@Alic said:

Great calculations, but, I also think it's unfair to compare this to a IPv6-only one-man-show operation and say that this is a dollar more expensive and therefore 30 % more expensive, Scaleway, unlike the IPv6-only one-man-shows, isn't going away tomorrow.

As long as I'd have a decent backup system and decent monitoring, I'd feel great running production (not hyper important) stuff on the Stardust. Especially if you run both snapshots as well as off-site backups.

The most probable bad thing that could happen would be a disk failure, well, a boot from a snapshot takes a minute.

Sucks though that they don't do automatic snapshots, but hey, there's solutions (3rd parties & API) for that too.

Instead it's going to burn down tomorrow :)