Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway Stardust IPv6 €0.37/mo - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway Stardust IPv6 €0.37/mo

Comments

• emghemgh Member

@Advin said:

@emgh said:

@Erisa said:

@Alic said:
    Scaleway just came up with a current consumption pie of €0.04 excl. taxes, €0.01 for compute and €0.03 for Local SSD. This is the basic 10GB local storage created initially. This comes to €1.2 pm (assuming no further charges in the balance day) and about €15 per year. Not cheap for an ipv6 only vps.

The current consumption is just an estimate and does not scale in the way you are calculating. It may stay on those values for several days.

Since I cannot select a Stardust instance to create and look at the estimate right now, I will refer to my bill and do some calculations manually.

Pulling out last months bill, my compute charge for a single Stardust instance was €0.09:

Run - AMS1 (1 resource) Mar 1, 2022, 12:00:00 AM → Mar 31, 2022, 11:59:59 PM 44,640 minutes €0.09

A local SSD is billed at €0.0004/hour for 10GB. This comes out at €0.29.
    You can find this by trying to create one from the dashboard (Make sure not to select Block storage!)

29 + 9 = 38 so the monthly cost of a Stardust without IP is €0.38/mo. This is consistent with what I thought it was.

Apply that annually and you get €4.56/yr

The Stardust instances are weird because they're wildly cheaper than the other instances at Scaleway.

Digging into it further to find the hourly for the compute alone:

The website advertises the total cost as €0.0025/hour
    We can know from the console that an IP adddress is €0.002/hour so that already brings our total down to €0.0005/hour
    We know from earlier the SSD is €0.0004/hour
    Therefore it stands to reason that the cost of the compute is €0.0001/hour

I hope that clears things up, I'm not really all that good at crunching numbers like this so thats a bit all over the place, but it's all consistent with what I've experienced over the last year of running a pair of Stardust instances without IP addresses.

Great calculations, but, I also think it's unfair to compare this to a IPv6-only one-man-show operation and say that this is a dollar more expensive and therefore 30 % more expensive, Scaleway, unlike the IPv6-only one-man-shows, isn't going away tomorrow.

As long as I'd have a decent backup system and decent monitoring, I'd feel great running production (not hyper important) stuff on the Stardust. Especially if you run both snapshots as well as off-site backups.

The most probable bad thing that could happen would be a disk failure, well, a boot from a snapshot takes a minute.

Sucks though that they don't do automatic snapshots, but hey, there's solutions (3rd parties & API) for that too.

Instead it's going to burn down tomorrow :)

OVH isn't Online.net.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2022

Lol. I can't see why people are complaining about ipv4 cost but not PayPal transaction fees.

PayPal is 0.5 USD + 2 something %

IPv4 is less than 0.5 USD

Currently I am leasing IPv4 from someone else for 0.29 USD each.

If you want to bring down costs then you need to get rid of these transaction fees, not IPv6 only

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2022

@ezeth said:
    Lol. I can't see why people are complaining about ipv4 cost but not PayPal transaction fees.

Who said no one was complaining about PayPal transaction fees?

No one likes PayPal. However, they are so massive to the point where there's nothing you can do but accept it. Also, it's not like there are many other choices, Stripe also has a 30 cent fee.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2022

@Advin said:

@ezeth said:

No one likes PayPal. However, they are so massive to the point where there's nothing you can do but accept it. Also, it's not like there are many other choices, Stripe also has a 30 cent fee.

Yeah. Then there's the currency conversion fee. I think my bank takes 2% and PayPal is even worse for USD-EUR pair. If you get a chargeback then the fees for CC is even more crazy.

If crypto wasn't full of fraud I would accept that. It's only good for clients you can trust

• emghemgh Member

@ezeth said:

@Advin said:

@ezeth said:

Yeah. Then there's the currency conversion fee. I think my bank takes 2% and PayPal is even worse for USD-EUR pair. If you get a chargeback then the fees for CC is even more crazy.

If crypto wasn't full of fraud I would accept that. It's only good for clients you can trust

So get a better card.

• emghemgh Member

@ezeth said:

Currently I am leasing IPv4 from someone else for 0.29 USD each.

If you want to bring down costs then you need to get rid of these transaction fees, not IPv6 only

Also, not the topic of this discussion. This discussion is about the ultra-cheap Scaleway Stardust instance.

edited April 2022

On a more relevant note, do you need a Scaleway Build account for these or would a Scaleway Test account be fine?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • AlicAlic Member

@Advin said:
    On a more relevant note, do you need a Scaleway Build account for these or would a Scaleway Test account be fine?

Test account is fine, I'm using it.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • tmepytmepy Member

@emgh said:

@klikli said:
    I have 2 (one in each DC) but it has been idling for as long as I remember.... any good uses for it?

Any web-related thing. Cloudflare does the magic and will allow IPv4 & IPv6 to connect.

How would I make it work? Any guides available?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @tmepy said:

@emgh said:

@klikli said:
    I have 2 (one in each DC) but it has been idling for as long as I remember.... any good uses for it?

Any web-related thing. Cloudflare does the magic and will allow IPv4 & IPv6 to connect.

How would I make it work? Any guides available?

You can only set AAAA and turn on the orange cloud, than Cloudflare's servers (with both IPv4 and v6) will proxy your request

Thanked by 3emgh tmepy xms
    edited April 2022

@Alic said:

@Advin said:

I just tried it and it didn't work :(

scw instance server create type=STARDUST1-S zone=fr-par-1 image=debian_bullseye root-volume=l:10G name=test ip=none ipv6=true project-id=IPUTMYPROJECTIDHERE
    Cannot create the server: scaleway-sdk-go: http error 403 Forbidden: resource cp_servers: quota(s) exceeded for this resource

Edit: can't even make a ticket

• @Advin said: Forbidden: resource cp_servers

NOTTO DISU SHITTO AGEN

@Advin said:

@Alic said:

@Advin said:

I just tried it and it didn't work :(

scw instance server create type=STARDUST1-S zone=fr-par-1 image=debian_bullseye root-volume=l:10G name=test ip=none ipv6=true project-id=IPUTMYPROJECTIDHERE
    Cannot create the server: scaleway-sdk-go: http error 403 Forbidden: resource cp_servers: quota(s) exceeded for this resource

Edit: can't even make a ticket

Nevermind, I am dumb. Turns out I had 2 Scaleway accounts, 1 which was unverified (which was the one I tried using)

Wed Apr 20 00:29:51 UTC 2022

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7281 16-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 2096.060 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 973.3 MiB
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 8.9 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 128.81 MB/s  (32.2k) | 729.81 MB/s  (11.4k)
    Write      | 129.15 MB/s  (32.2k) | 733.65 MB/s  (11.4k)
    Total      | 257.96 MB/s  (64.4k) | 1.46 GB/s    (22.8k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 1.04 GB/s     (2.0k) | 1.13 GB/s     (1.1k)
    Write      | 1.09 GB/s     (2.1k) | 1.21 GB/s     (1.1k)
    Total      | 2.13 GB/s     (4.1k) | 2.35 GB/s     (2.2k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 359 Mbits/sec   | 4.38 Gbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 222 Mbits/sec   | 4.75 Gbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 202 Mbits/sec   | 3.46 Gbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | 225 Mbits/sec   | 395 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 254 Mbits/sec   | 1.78 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 260 Mbits/sec   | 1.12 Gbits/sec

Scaleway France

• AlicAlic Member

Created a second instance in PAR1 zone, the previous one being in AMS1. Had wireguard setup on the AMS1 instance and whatismyip shows Amsterdam as my city when connected, as expected. Funny thing, created a similar wireguard setup on the PAR1 instance and whatismyip shows Amsterdam, instead of Paris! What am I missing?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Alic said:
    Created a second instance in PAR1 zone, the previous one being in AMS1. Had wireguard setup on the AMS1 instance and whatismyip shows Amsterdam as my city when connected, as expected. Funny thing, created a similar wireguard setup on the PAR1 instance and whatismyip shows Amsterdam, instead of Paris! What am I missing?

Geo Databases are outdated as fuck, that is normal.

• AlicAlic Member

@Neoon said:
    Geo Databases are outdated as fuck, that is normal.

Oooook....but not too sure. On the PAR1 instance I checked some arrrr*** sites that are blocked in the Netherlands. Well, they failed to launch on the PAR1 site too. Too much of a coincidence?

• defaultdefault Veteran

It gets more expensive from July, by 8% - that's a ripoff for the cheap communities. :anguished:

Thanked by 1xms
  • Thank you for this tip! I managed to create my Stardust instance.

Unfortunately I have to connect to some IPv4-only services, so I found this other guide useful: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/164967/how-to-get-ipv4-connectivity-on-an-ipv6-only-vps

• This actually costs 1€/month with storage

• emghemgh Member

@szymonp said:
    This actually costs 1€/month with storage

I think you’re wrong.

• @emgh said:

@szymonp said:

I think you’re wrong.

I got billed for that much 🤷‍♂️

• will it work for a wireguard server?

• @hyperblast said:
    will it work for a wireguard server?

Yes

@szymonp said:

@emgh said:

@szymonp said:

I think you’re wrong.

My latest bill is still €0.39/month without IP:

Also, I've never actually opened my Scaleway bill before, so I didn't realise I was paying for 3 detached volumes. Thanks for saving me €0.90/month!

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @Peppery9 said:

@hyperblast said:
    will it work for a wireguard server?

Yes

@szymonp said:

@emgh said:

@szymonp said:

I think you’re wrong.

My latest bill is still €0.39/month without IP:

Also, I've never actually opened my Scaleway bill before, so I didn't realise I was paying for 3 detached volumes. Thanks for saving me €0.90/month!

I pay 0,39€ for VM, the 0,6€ is for the 10GB volume for it.

• @szymonp said:
    I pay 0,39€ for VM, the 0,6€ is for the 10GB volume for it.

Post your invoice

Thanked by 3emgh xms Erisa
  • Paid €0.37 (last inv) b4 price increase for compute and standard storage (10gb I believe).

If you are getting billed more you probably have something else added/ configured eating up moolah

• Can any one please post their recent invoices? What are you guys getting charged in July and August now?

I made a few scaleway instances for testing and I thought it was hourly billed so when I deleted the instance then I won't be charged for that but I got invoice which clearly shows that it is very expensive.
    IMG-20220811-092031

My invoice

• ralfralf Member
    edited August 2022

@Htb2050 said:
    Can any one please post their recent invoices? What are you guys getting charged in July and August now?

I made a few scaleway instances for testing and I thought it was hourly billed so when I deleted the instance then I won't be charged for that but I got invoice which clearly shows that it is very expensive.
    IMG-20220811-092031

How cheap do you want?

3 instances for av 7.67 hours each for €0.03 total
    13 instances for av 10.46 hours each for €0.13 total

That sounds incredibly cheap! Average €0.01 per instance for between 7 and 11 hours on each. Also pretty much what was said on page 1: "0.0025€/h (1,8€/pm)"