Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Announcement: Low End Box Weekly “HR3” — “Host Rep Roundup Rodeo!” - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Announcement: Low End Box Weekly “HR3” — “Host Rep Roundup Rodeo!”

Comments

• @Not_Oles said:
    Hi @KermEd! Hi @NobodyInteresting! Hi @skorous!

How could we make LEB a fully trustworthy source in your opinions?

How could you help implement your suggestions?

Helpful constructive feedback is much appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Many years of neglect and full on spam and scam would be hard to fix. I honestly don't think that people that have been burned by LEB hosts and CC hosts will ever be able to trust it. No matter what amount you charge the providers, no matter what miracles you work on it.

Perhaps fresh new people will be less likely to distrust it.

For me - that ship has long sailed.

• @NobodyInteresting said: No matter what amount you charge the providers, no matter what miracles you work on it.

I don't believe in 'never' but it's hard for me to picture what circumstances could lead to it.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@NobodyInteresting Did you personally have a bad experience?

• @Not_Oles said:

Of course, just like anyone else that has used LEB. The only, and I mean ONLY good thing that came out of it was that it introduced me to LET.

And LET introduced me to an ocean of providers, which I really really like, and almost none of them do/did LEB.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2022

I have to agree that I basically never check on LEB either. It has always had somewhat negative vibes and with offers also being on LET/the forum (+ LEB offers/provider negative history) I never got back to visiting it again (except for the guest article).
    For IT/tech news/articles, there are just about an infinite amount of blogs/news sites I'd rather read than LEB blog and for offers, I can find them elsewhere, too.
    I realize you are a good person and many, including me, love you as a person @Not_Oles . It's just that "task" you have been given is basically to go back in time and re-adjust the Titanic's route in order to not hit the iceberg. What makes things even harder ist that while most probably would agree that you are a nice and kind person, LEB is owned and operated by a company/an entity that most people here have had negative experiences with. Any promises you make now are at their mercy. While I believe it when you say you want to better LEB and turn things around, anything you say can just be reverted/changed/discarded (and you could be demoted at any time) by the greater authority. If you wrote your personal blog on your personal website owned 100% by you, @Not_Oles , (only then) I could imagine myself to actually check it out ever so often (and then again, I read my IT/tech news elsewhere or on the forums). Please know that I don't mean to offend you in any way @Not_Oles . It's just sad seeing your energy kinda going into /dev/null . Nevertheless, I wish you nothing but the best :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Ympker said: I realize you are a good person and many, including me, love you as a person @Not_Oles . It's just that "task" you have been given is basically to go back in time and re-adjust the Titanic's route in order to not hit the iceberg.

TBF, he is getting a few quid to do it, so fair play to him.

Thanked by 3Ympker Not_Oles adly

@NobodyInteresting said:

@Not_Oles said:

Of course, just like anyone else that has used LEB. The only, and I mean ONLY good thing that came out of it was that it introduced me to LET.

And LET introduced me to an ocean of providers, which I really really like, and almost none of them do/did LEB.

Sounds like your overall experience is good. I mean, something happened that you "really, really like."

Are you willing to share about your bad experience on LEB? I'd like, please, to hear what happened, if you do not mind sharing.

Thank you so much either way! :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Not_Oles said:

Sounds like your overall experience is good. I mean, something happened that you "really, really like."

Isn’t that a bit like saying losing all your limbs in a car accident but meeting your future wife in the hospital afterwards was an ‘overall good experience?

@Ympker said:

Titanic

energy kinda going into /dev/null

@Ympker, there isn't anybody who has been a better friend to me than you! You put your own shoulder to the wheel by collaborating with me to write our article about your nifty WordPress plugin.

@Nekki said:

he is getting a few quid to do it

Aye! And who knows what good things might happen if people like the article you write with me!? :) Waddayawanna write about @Nekki?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Nekki won't do articles.

It's either parties or orgies - wild ones.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@Nekki said: Isn’t that a bit like saying losing all your limbs in a car accident but meeting your future wife in the hospital afterwards was an ‘overall good experience?

Yes, exactly!

I know somebody who died young at the end of a very hard life. Trust me, nobody, absolutely nobody would want the challenges he faced. Near the end of his short, hard life, he met a woman who made him happy. Shortly after they met, I spoke with him on his deathbed as she was giving him painkiller meds. You know what he said to me? "I've had a good life," he said.

Thanked by 1dahartigan

@DP said:
    Nekki won't do articles.

It's either parties or orgies - wild ones.

Hi @DP! Hope you are doing great!

Let's not underestimate our wonderful @Nekki!

Maybe, if he writes an article with me, we all can party with him. :)

All right, that's it, I promise not to ask @Nekki any more about co-writing an article. He can do it if he wants, and, if not, that's okay too! :)

Friendly greetings!

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Not_Oles said:

Aye! And who knows what good things might happen if people like the article you write with me!? :) Waddayawanna write about @Nekki?

Are you implying that if our co-written article is well-received their may be a paying position for me on the LEB writing team?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited March 2022

@Not_Oles said: Are you willing to share about your bad experience on LEB? I'd like, please, to hear what happened, if you do not mind sharing.

It would be a long story, and this "spam and scam" dates back 3+ years and I'm guessing you weren't here back then. Take a look at this thread:

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/157968/transparency-report-leb-offers-and-colocrossing-locations/p1

tl;dr 79 of 80 offers in the first half of 2019 on LEB had services with colocrossing

Colocrossing is not necessarily bad, but during that time period I believe they were offering deep discounts for small startups trying to sell vps, many of which ended up disappearing aka scamming. Around 20+ of the providers on this thread closed down within the same week sometime in 2019 and basically scammed their customers.

Even if you somehow didn't end up with a deadpool host, it just doesn't make sense for consumers to keep buying servers from the same upstream provider.

• @Not_Oles said:
    Hi @KermEd! Hi @NobodyInteresting! Hi @skorous!

How could we make LEB a fully trustworthy source in your opinions?

How could you help implement your suggestions?

Helpful constructive feedback is much appreciated!

Thank you so much!

From my point of view I agree. LEB was the breeding cesspool for such "amazing" hosts such as alpha racks and plenty of other Deadpools.

From our side, we aren't interested in being apart of a website, even though it's related to LET, that has such a poor reputation as LEB.

It's reputation is tarnished and it's going to take quite a while for that to change.

• jrheilandjrheiland Member
    edited March 2022

@NoComment said:

@Not_Oles said: Are you willing to share about your bad experience on LEB? I'd like, please, to hear what happened, if you do not mind sharing.

It would be a long story, and this "spam and scam" dates back 3+ years and I'm guessing you weren't here back then. Take a look at this thread:

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/157968/transparency-report-leb-offers-and-colocrossing-locations/p1

tl;dr 79 of 80 offers in the first half of 2019 on LEB had services with colocrossing

Colocrossing is not necessarily bad, but during that time period I believe they were offering deep discounts for small startups trying to sell vps, many of which ended up disappearing aka scamming. Around 20+ of the providers on this thread closed down within the same week sometime in 2019 and basically scammed their customers.

Even if you somehow didn't end up with a deadpool host, it just doesn't make sense for consumers to keep buying servers from the same upstream provider.

It made sense for jbiloh...$$

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@NoComment said: It would be a long story, and this "spam and scam" dates back 3+ years and I'm guessing you weren't here back then. Take a look at this thread:

I never cross referenced that data because I wasn't involved at that time of LEB history. That said, since taking over in January 2020 that issue is solved. There is no such concentration problem on LowEndBox since January 2020.

@NoComment said: Around 20+ of the providers on this thread closed down within the same week sometime in 2019 and basically scammed their customers.

Such a negative outcome for the effected customers. That's something I addressed head on in January 2020 when I purchased LowEndBox and LowEndTalk. I committed to doing everything in my power to avoid a repeat -- and we have followed through on that commitment.

@NoComment said: Even if you somehow didn't end up with a deadpool host, it just doesn't make sense for consumers to keep buying servers from the same upstream provider.

Diversity is good, totally agree here.

@jrheiland said: From my point of view I agree. LEB was the breeding cesspool for such "amazing" hosts such as alpha racks and plenty of other Deadpools.

The concept of "dead pooling" goes all the way back to LEA, who created the first dead pool tracking thread. Companies start and fail all the time in all industries and including on LEB and LET. The series of companies that failed in 2019 that had received exposure on LEB was too high, and that's why in January 2020 when I bought the platform I committed to doing whatever was necessary to avoid a repeat in the future. There have not been any repeats in the 2+ years I've owned the platform.

@jrheiland said: From our side, we aren't interested in being apart of a website, even though it's related to LET, that has such a poor reputation as LEB.

Hopefully in the future we can earn your reconsideration. I think there are a lot of positive things happening on LowEndBox now and for the last 2+ years.

@jrheiland said: It made sense for jbiloh...$$

I was not involved nor did I receive any benefit. I sold my company, including LowEndBox and LowEndTalk in June 2018. I purchased LowEndBox and LowEndTalk back in January 2020.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • In my case, I started by buying some services off LEB.

I came to LET when they deadpooled to figure out what was going on.

Shortly after, I realized the two were connected.

That might be why the content strategy to make hosts on LET pay fees for content on LEB sits so uncomfortable with me.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Hi @Not_Oles , I posted by accident in the other thread ( https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3395220/#Comment_3395220 ), but I should have posted here instead

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Ympker said: I have to agree that I basically never check on LEB either. It has always had somewhat negative vibes and with offers also being on LET/the forum (+ LEB offers/provider negative history) I never got back to visiting it again (except for the guest article).

Good to know we've given you a few reasons lately to visit LowEndBox. That gives me some confidence.

Would you mind sharing what other type of content you'd be interested in reading on LowEndBox?

@KermEd said: In my case, I started by buying some services off LEB.

I came to LET when they deadpooled to figure out what was going on.

Shortly after, I realized the two were connected.

That might be why the content strategy to make hosts on LET pay fees for content on LEB sits so uncomfortable with me.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's good to know the background of your position.

What was your first LEB purchase? Your last?

You've shared a lot of good feedback and ideas. We continue to listen.

From a big picture standpoint I see LEB and LET as a unified platform which are symbiotic in nature. Supporting each and building both is the goal. As part of that goal I'm working towards incremental improvement - every day.

@Nekki said:

@Not_Oles said:

Are you implying that if our co-written article is well-received their may be a paying position for me on the LEB writing team?

I got here by writing six articles elsewhere. Those articles were well received.

I can't predict the future. I can offer you a chance to get started on writing if you wish. You seem like a really bright guy to me. It would be a pleasure to work with you on an article!

@angstrom said:
    Hi @Not_Oles , I posted by accident in the other thread ( https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3395220/#Comment_3395220 ), but I should have posted here instead

Friend, no worries! All good! I replied in the other thread. I think what you said there very well might be right. As always, thank you for your sensible, well thought out, very positive contribution.

Haha, probably this is too, too, too much, but if you would like to collaborate on an article, let me know. It would be a pleasure to work with you!

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Not_Oles said: I got here by writing six articles elsewhere. Those articles were well received.

I can't predict the future. I can offer you a chance to get started on writing if you wish. You seem like a really bright guy to me. It would be a pleasure to work with you on an article!

I appreciate the offer, but I was offered that same opportunity a few years ago and turned it down because there was no coherent strategy behind LEB. I can't see that anything has changed, and I don't want to waste my spare time being involved in something that I don't have any faith in.

@jrheiland It is a ray of sunshine in the midst of a thunderstorm that you post here to share your experiences with us!

I see that you have a provider tag. Are you keeping it?

I looked at your profile and saw unitycommunications.net, but there doesn't seem to be a website.

What are you doing these days?

What can we do for you?

edited March 2022

@NoComment Thanks for taking the time to . . . comment! Haha! :) Seriously, though, what can we do for you? Anything?

Same with anybody else who feels upset. What can we do for you? What would you do if you were us?

@skorous @NobodyInteresting

Hey @Ympker! Friend, wanna do another article sometime? There's a lot of SEO benefit for you, right? Just speaking theoretically, if we were gonna re-do LEB, how would we set up the front end and the back end? Maybe that's two articles? Maybe that's two too much? :) Maybe you have another much different and much better article idea? Something you wanna write about? Greetings from Mexico! 💖

• @Not_Oles said:
    Hey @Ympker! Friend, wanna do another article sometime? There's a lot of SEO benefit for you, right? Just speaking theoretically, if we were gonna re-do LEB, how would we set up the front end and the back end? Maybe that's two articles? Maybe that's two too much? :) Maybe you have another much different and much better article idea? Something you wanna write about? Greetings from Mexico! 💖

Hey there. Thanks for reaching out. I was just wondering whether my inbox moved to this thread as this post kinda reads like a pm and imho discussing an article would rather happen via pm than in a public thread. Anyway, I'll have to turn you down for now, though.

At the moment I am quite busy and I have, just today, been approached by someone else to write an article with them whom I had to turn down due to lack of time. The same applies in this case, though. I have some articles in mind I want to write in the future, but also taking into account my reply above, LEB would not be my main target audience. I'll probably look towards publishing these articles on a platform called Dev.to , but I'll need time for writing first, anyway.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said: Seriously, though, what can we do for you? Anything?

Regarding the bad reputation of LEB, there's nothing you can do. I was just explaining the past history of LEB because it looked like you weren't aware of the scams that happened in the past.

But I do think HR3 is a really awkward title and the average reader on LEB probably wouldn't really know what it's about. And it's weird to just link readers to LET without mentioning any specific offers. I think a better title would be something like to the effect of "weekly exclusive deals" and it may be good to list out some offers then link to the LET thread for more details.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said:
    as she was giving him painkiller meds. You know what he said to me? "I've had a good life," he said.

Attribution should go to the pain meds...

Thanked by 3Not_Oles Nekki Erisa
  • mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

@Not_Oles said:
    Host Reps can publish offers in the weekly Host Rep Roundup Rodeo over at Low End Box.

Please see details posted on Low End Box.

The first HR3 is planned for Wednesday, March 16!

Host Reps, please get offers to @Not_Oles before midnight UTC on Tuesday, March 15.

Thanks everyone! ¡Saludos! :)

Did not know about Lowendbox, so both LET and lowendbox are inter connected ?